• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Took some pictures in daylight today and fucking hell. I've been Vanned. I believe.

Also, there was a rumour that you could only have the developer preview on one phone. It's wrong. Installing GDR3 as we speak.

I realized that taking pics is among the top 3 most used functions on a smartphone (way more than 2000 pics in less than 2 years on my 800), so I'm really considering the 1020 as my next device.

I'm only concerned about the rest of the specs. Not so much the display (I'm pretty sure a 720p AMOLED screen is quite sufficient for my needs), but everything else might feel really outdated in a year or so. Although with MS aiming for the low end, I assume their stuff will always have to run on lower specced devices.

Edit: OTOH, when a 920 is only about 250€, I could get a nice additional Win8 tablet too for the same price. Depending on what the Venue Pro 8 is like, that feels like a hard decision.

Please, I only send great nudes.

aWXSYCb.jpg

this_guy

Got my MMS working again on my Lumia 920 by doing a factory reset. Those spinning gears took hours - I can see why people are worried they might have bricked their phone doing a factory reset.

PG2G

I realized that taking pics is among the top 3 most used functions on a smartphone (way more than 2000 pics in less than 2 years on my 800), so I'm really considering the 1020 as my next device.

I'm only concerned about the rest of the specs. Not so much the display (I'm pretty sure a 720p AMOLED screen is quite sufficient for my needs), but everything else might feel really outdated in a year or so. Although with MS aiming for the low end, I assume their stuff will always have to run on lower specced devices.

I'm hoping the 5" 1080p Nokia with 20 megapixel camera is the worldwide one instead of the 6" beast. Might be a good compromise since the 1020 is underpowered

Being able to close apps in back menu really is a godsend.

Minor gripe though, the X that appears to close the apps can be a bit janky. It's supposed to fade in and out as as you swipe from side to side. But sometimes it flickers and stutters. Looks a bit gross. Would prefer the Xs to be present on all thumbs / screens.

kharma45

I'm hoping the 5" 1080p Nokia with 20 megapixel camera is the worldwide one instead of the 6" beast. Might be a good compromise since the 1020 is underpowered

Yeah if the 5" came here to the UK it would be my preferred one. Not as keen on the 6" one.

this_guy

did the factory reset remove GDR3?

Do you mean GDR2 (Amber update)? I haven't tried to use a developer account and manually update to GDR3 yet.

But no, the factory reset didn't reset to what was originally in the box, it reset to the Amber update (released just last week on AT&T). I didn't realize this at first, because I tested MMS first, saw that it worked, then went to update the OS but there was no update. That's when I realized I was on the Amber update and I was able to download the Nokia Pro Cam app (which requires Amber/GDR2)

Yeah if the 5" came here to the UK it would be my preferred one. Not as keen on the 6" one.

If you listen the oh-so-terrible Verge Mobile podcast from yesterday, they trash the One max and one of the reasons is that it's just a giant ass phone that doesn't offer any compelling features that take use of the big screen, like the Note does. One of the guys said it well, when he said that it's like back then, when Microsoft tried to put the desktop interface with its little start menu and quick launch thingy on 2.5" QVGA screens, except that this goes in the other direction, where HTC put a UI of a smartphone on a tablet-like device. I don't see how the Nokia phablet is any different. Even the Galaxy Mega can show two apps at once on a fricking qHD screen.

kharma45

If you listen the oh-so-terrible Verge Mobile podcast from yesterday, they trash the One max throughout the bank and one of the reasons is that it's just a giant ass phone that doesn't offer any compelling features that take use of the big screen, like the Note does. One of the guys said it well, when he said that it's like back then, when Microsoft tried to put the desktop interface with its little start menu and quick launch thingy on a small screen on 2.5" QVGA screens, except that this goes in the other direction, where HTC put a UI of a smartphone on a tablet-like device. I don't see how the Nokia phablet is any different. Even the Galaxy Mega can show two apps at once on a fricking qHD screen.

I agree.

Nokia is right i feel to release a big phone to compete with the Note, but like HTC, they have missed what makes the Note a good device.

Blackhead

Redarse
If you listen the oh-so-terrible Verge Mobile podcast from yesterday, they trash the One max and one of the reasons is that it's just a giant ass phone that doesn't offer any compelling features that take use of the big screen, like the Note does. One of the guys said it well, when he said that it's like back then, when Microsoft tried to put the desktop interface with its little start menu and quick launch thingy on 2.5" QVGA screens, except that this goes in the other direction, where HTC put a UI of a smartphone on a tablet-like device. I don't see how the Nokia phablet is any different. Even the Galaxy Mega can show two apps at once on a fricking qHD screen.

Let me know when they switch to Galaxy devices from their iPhones and iPads because iOS doesn't support showing two apps at once.

Let me know when they switch to Galaxy devices from their iPhones and iPads because iOS doesn't support showing two apps at once.

What does that have anything to do with the argument that big ass phones, that don't take advantage of the big screen, are pretty stupid?

e: And most of them use Android phones, I think. Ziegler tried to switch to Windows Phone few times, but was forced to switch back to Android, because of their GMail workflow.

Milchjon

While I after with the stuff about the Note/One Max, I still think that there are some apps that will profit from a bigger screen, like Excel and Word or IE.

And unlike the One Max, there's no superior device out there running the same OS with the same size.

Of course it'll be a niche device and won't unlock the full potential of the screen, but it's not quite as pointless as the One Max.

And I still hope Nokia has some surprises up their sleeve.

Yoshiya

What does that have anything to do with the argument that big ass phones, that don't take advantage of the big screen, are pretty stupid?

phablets have only taken off in east asian markets because stylus support is good for character-based languages. the one max and 1520 seem to have very little going for them.

hadareud

The Translator
Being able to snap 2 apps on such a big device is essential, I think. So is stylus support.

If those were their arguments (I'm not going to listen to it, because if I want to listen to pretentious twats being pretentious twats I may as well listen to myself or better yet, read the gaming side), they have a very good point.

If the Nokia phablet doesn't offer any of that (or other features), I fear they're sending it out to die.

Goku

Banned
I see tremendeous potential for (big screened) Windows Phones in the Asus Padfone concept. But I don't think they've executed it well. In the phonepad concept, both the phone and tablet are fully functional standalone devices. Kind of dumb.
I would like to see a Windows "PadPhone" concept in which the tablet screen in an extention of the phone, not a fully fuctional tablet. The tablet makes the Padfone quite expensive too. If that tablet were just a screen and a battery, cost would be much lower. MS should really do this. I'm quite 'mad' at MS for not doing something like this really.

While I after with the stuff about the Note/One Max, I still think that there are some apps that will profit from a bigger screen, like Excel and Word or IE.

Those apps will only profit from a bigger screen, if WP does DPI scaling correctly, otherwise you'll see the exact same content you'd see on a smaller screen with the same resolution.

phablets have only taken off in east asian markets because stylus support is good for character-based languages. the one max and 1520 seem to have very little going for them.

But that's exactly what I said.

Being able to snap 2 apps on such a big device is essential, I think. So is stylus support.

If those were their arguments (I'm not going to listen to it, because if I want to listen to pretentious twats being pretentious twats I may as well listen to myself or better yet, read the gaming side), they have a very good point.

If the Nokia phablet doesn't offer any of that (or other features), I fear they're sending it out to die.

Those were their arguments. The One max is huge, heavy and feels cheaper than the One, without doing anything really better. The only positive thing about it is the battery life and that should be expected from a phone that, with 217g, weights more than a 920. I'm afraid I don't really see what Nokia is doing better.

e:
HL1xtJ4.jpg

Oh wow why hasn't anyone been talking about this?
http://www.neowin.net/news/review-windows-81

"IE11 in the modern app and on the desktop does introduce a lot of new features and upgrades over IE10 including tab sync, which is likely, the best feature for those of you who live in the Windows ecosystem. Simply put, your tabs sync across multiple devices so you can grab any device and pick up wherever you left off when you were browsing on your desktop or vice-versa."

Is it because tab sync won't work with IE for Windows Phone until Blue, whenever that happens? :(

Is there a reason why the WP8 Twitter app doesn't have advertisement tweets? Something that I had long forgot about until my recent Android stint during my broken screen saga. My friend was complaining about advertisement tweets the other day so it got me wondering why we don't get them.

Oh wow why hasn't anyone been talking about this?
http://www.neowin.net/news/review-windows-81

"IE11 in the modern app and on the desktop does introduce a lot of new features and upgrades over IE10 including tab sync, which is likely, the best feature for those of you who live in the Windows ecosystem. Simply put, your tabs sync across multiple devices so you can grab any device and pick up wherever you left off when you were browsing on your desktop or vice-versa."

Is it because tab sync won't work with IE for Windows Phone until Blue, whenever that happens? :(
Coming in 8.2, 2015

Edit: OTOH, when a 920 is only about 250€, I could get a nice additional Win8 tablet too for the same price. Depending on what the Venue Pro 8 is like, that feels like a hard decision.
I've finally gotten a chance to play with one. I don't know if it'll last 2 years to be honest, the processor in this phone is a bit slow at processing the 5mp+41mp pictures and as soon as a video comes out showing the successor churning through photos like butter you will likely want to sell your phone.

I'm going to get torched for this statement, but for all the talk I see windows phone users say about how smooth their phone runs on lower-end processors, this is one aspect of the phone that could've really benefitted from a better one.

Should ask before I forget:
1) How is the viber app on WP8? In terms of idle/calling battery usage and the app's usability in general.

2) Does the 521 suffer from the same spinning gears issue that I read about when attempting to hard reset a 920?

hadareud

The Translator
Complete waste of battery.

If batteries lasted 5 days right now, then I'd say, go for it, increase the resolution, even though it's not really needed.

But as it is, it's ridiculous.

ElNino

I got the wireless charging cover for my 1020 so I can finally use the Fatboy charger I picked up on sale while ago. It works well so far and doesn't seem as finicky for positioning on the charger as I had read, as long as it close to the markers on the pillow it seems to charge fine.

The only issue, and one I was aware of, is that it is slightly loose on the corners but I'll try some rudimentary fixes and see if they help (ie. some tape on the inside of the cover).

hadareud

The Translator
The cover is quite alright, though the phone is much nicer to hold without it, I think.

I also received the camera grip today. That is really brilliant, it feels just like holding a nice camera. And most importantly, you can take pictures without shaking. I am unable to hold the phone still when pushing the camera button, with the grip it's really easy to not move at all.

ElNino

The cover is quite alright, though the phone is much nicer to hold without it, I think.

I also received the camera grip today. That is really brilliant, it feels just like holding a nice camera. And most importantly, you can take pictures without shaking. I am unable to hold the phone still when pushing the camera button, with the grip it's really easy to not move at all.
I agree that it is a bit easier to hold the phone (one handed at least) without the cover, but I like the cover when setting it down on my desk as it flattens it out a bit.

I got the camera grip as well but I haven't used it "out in the wild" yet. It does make it easier to hold when taking pictures though based on my limited use at home.

Blackhead

Redarse
Those apps will only profit from a bigger screen, if WP does DPI scaling correctly, otherwise you'll see the exact same content you'd see on a smaller screen with the same resolution.

'big ass phones' don't need to add hacky multiscreen multitasking implementations to profit from the bigger screens. Andy Ihnatko dispelled the fallacy about seeing the exact same content when explaining why he switched to Android:

A large screen, for real

After just a couple of weeks with the Samsung Galaxy S III, my iPhone 4S screen stopped seeming "normal-sized." At first it became "small" and ultimately it became "too small."

And when I put my phone in a car dock, the iPhone now seems minuscule. There's almost always more information on the Samsung's screen. It's all easier to read, and the controls are either larger, or they're or grouped less tightly, which makes them easier to hit. The iPhone seems to disappear in the dash.

Mind you, I've been driving with iPhones for years and I was always very happy with them. But to me, the difference between an iPhone 4S or even an iPhone 5 screen and the 4.8" display of the GS3 is like the 24" color TV in my parents' living room and the 45" HDTV in mine.

Is a larger screen better with every app and in every situation? Naw. The user interfaces of phone apps include two kinds of views: list views and content views. I spent days doing side-by-side comparisons in all kinds of apps. The iPhone 5 rarely displays significantly fewer list items than the GS3.

But content views are a different story. The larger screen almost always offers a superior experience.

The Galaxy S III's screen has roughly the same pixel density as the iPhone 5 (they're both greater than 300 ppi). When I'm reading a book, I can see more of the page, and the wider content margins are more comfortable. I get to see more of a map without having to zoom or scroll. I can see more of the email message, and more of the article in my newsreader. A movie or video is large enough that I feel as though I'm seeing all of the rich HD detail I was meant to see. When I'm reading comics, I don't need to keep twisting the screen to read panels that have different orientations.

The screen of the iPhone 5 sometimes makes me feel like I'm reading a grocery receipt, not a book. And I never used to read from my phone in bed. Now, if my (still quite beloved) iPad is downstairs and the Galaxy S III is on the nightstand, I'll spend an hour reading from the Samsung rather than risk cold feet.

It's clear. I find that the Samsung's larger screen is always at least as good as the iPhone's and it's usually better.

But at what price? The GS3 is indeed slightly larger than the iPhone 5. That'll be a huge, huge problem for you if you like to go from bar to bar trying to win sucker bets in which the guy with the largest phone has to buy the next round. Otherwise, when is this marginally-larger size an issue?

Oh, all right. The iPhone 5 is narrower, and unlike the SG3, my thumb can span its entire keyboard without any stretching or shuffling.

A win for the iPhone 5? Not to me. The iPhone is still too tall for me to easily operate with one hand, because an app's top row of controls is usually just out of reach. And Android's superior keyboard designs, plus the fact that the GS3's keyboard is wider and less cramped, more than makes up for the thumb stretch.

Even if it didn't, one-handed operation isn't the defining element of my mobile computing experience. I've always been a mystified about why Apple seems to place so much importance on that one idea, particularly when it conflicts with so many other, equally-good ideas...like putting more content on the screen without sacrificing readability.

When somebody argues that "It's not really more information...it's just the same content, scaled up to fit" I wonder if they've spent much time with a variety of Android devices. That's categorically not what I've encountered with about dozen different Android phones of various sizes in the past year, in test after test after test.

People whom I know, respect, and even consider to be friends have dismissed large phone screens as a cheap marketing gimmick that targets gullible consumers in the showroom, and which doesn't offer any practical benefits.

Yikes. That's so incorrect, so far out of whack with reality as I experience it every day with the Samsung Galaxy S III, and with other flagship Android phones, that I can't even mount an argument against it. I can't think of anything to say other than "Nope. Wrong."

e: And most of them use Android phones, I think. Ziegler tried to switch to Windows Phone few times, but was forced to switch back to Android, because of their GMail workflow.
They didn't switch because of the multiwindow feature, did they?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Taken with the 1020. The shot is a bit out of focus but I cropped it quite a bit because I was quite far back. Still I'm so happy I was able to capture the moment and still have enough resolution to get it framed better. It's still scaled down here as well.

Taken with the 1020. The shot is a bit out of focus but I cropped it quite a bit because I was quite far back. Still I'm so happy I was able to capture the moment and still have enough resolution to get it framed better. It's still scaled down here as well.
Beautiful shot regardless of focus.

Thats an amazing shot. Good work

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

this_guy

'big ass phones' don't need to add hacky multiscreen multitasking implementations to profit from the bigger screens. Andy Ihnatko dispelled the fallacy about seeing the exact same content when explaining why he switched to Android:

The Galaxy S3 isn't in the same category of big screen phones such as the Note and HTC One Max.

Milchjon

Love the structure/texture of that fur. Also those white triangles hanging off the dog on the right.

I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. I was talking about big ass phones. Huge face slappers. Little tablets. You're talking about what is considered the standard in smartphone size these days, which is 4.3-5". Worse, your quote was comparing a 3.5" phone with a 4.7" phone. But the HTC One max is massive. It has a 5.9" screen and thanks to its chassis, it feels even bigger. It's bigger than the fricking Note 3! It's so big, an entire regular HTC One could fit into it.

TO10VtT.jpg

Here's a regular 4" phone on top of the One max.

TcpzWif.jpg

And it simply offers nothing in exchange for that massive size. If you still don't get what I'm saying, then I can't help you either.

hadareud

The Translator
but battery life has been going up

Very slightly, but it's not like the average smartphone battery lasts much longer than a day. If you are lucky.

Hardly something to shout about.

I remember when I could leave the house when the battery on my phone was at 15% and I wouldn't worry about it running out until I got home. Now at 15% you might as well not leave the house at all.

Constantly having to worry about running out of juice is bloody annoying to say the least.

-----

Great pic btw!

Blackhead

Redarse

Nice pic!

I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. I was talking about big ass phones. Huge face slappers. Little tablets. You're talking about what is considered the standard in smartphone size these days, which is 4.3-5". Worse, your quote was comparing a 3.5" phone with a 4.7" phone. But the HTC One max is massive. It has a 5.9" screen and thanks to its chassis, it feels even bigger. It's bigger than the fricking Note 3! It's so big, an entire regular HTC One could fit into it.

And it simply offers nothing in exchange for that massive size. If you still don't get what I'm saying, then I can't help you either.
I get what you're saying and it's nonsense. The HTC One Max offers a big screen for its massive size. That's it and that's good enough for most people. The Nexus 7 has a big ass screen. The iPad has a big ass screen. The Verge doesn't claim that they are useless because they don't offer multiwindow multitasking. Unless y'all now consider system-wide multiwindow multitasking an essential mainstream feature it's stupid to claim the HTC and Sony phones are useless for not including it.

FOR FUCKS SAKE! I'm riding home on my bike and some asshole cuts me off as I'm going across the street causing me to fall off and send my phone flying into the pavement

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. I'm so pissed off. I need this phone because I'm away from home for school and I do development and whatnot. I'm afraid to call up Rogers to see how much it costs to get replaced.

Anyone know how much the screens generally go for? Its just the glass thats broken. The touch underneath works.

Troll

Banned
FOR FUCKS SAKE! I'm riding home on my bike and some asshole cuts me off as I'm going across the street causing me to fall off and send my phone flying into the pavement

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. I'm so pissed off. I need this phone because I'm away from home for school and I do development and whatnot. I'm afraid to call up Rogers to see how much it costs to get replaced.

Anyone know how much the screens generally go for? Its just the glass thats broken. The digitizer underneath doesn't work.

Dude, I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom