• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, that sucks. Could be worse my brother in law in Toronto was rammed from behind by car while on his bike stopped at a light. People are assholes.

f0lken

FOR FUCKS SAKE! I'm riding home on my bike and some asshole cuts me off as I'm going across the street causing me to fall off and send my phone flying into the pavement

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. I'm so pissed off. I need this phone because I'm away from home for school and I do development and whatnot. I'm afraid to call up Rogers to see how much it costs to get replaced.

Anyone know how much the screens generally go for? Its just the glass thats broken. The digitizer underneath doesn't work.

Your screen works? Mine was broken only from the glass and I got a pastic one (s oppossed to the original glass) for like around $50 USD and I don't recommend it, the double tap to wake doesn't work and some (albeit a few) times it think I pressed back or home even when i touched the upper part of the phone.

Your screen works? Mine was broken only from the glass and I got a pastic one (s oppossed to the original glass) for like around $50 USD and I don't recommend it, the double tap to wake doesn't work and some (albeit a few) times it think I pressed back or home even when i touched the upper part of the phone.

The screen and touch still works. The glass is pretty much the only problem with it.
I just got off with Rogers Web support and I'm going to take it into the store tomorrow and get a quote on a repair. I'm thinking its going to go somewhere into the $200 range.

Man this day isn't going well.

kharma45

Here's something that fucks me off with Windows Phone 'multitasking', having the same app displayed more than one time when you hold the back button.

y5t5UVQ.png

Why Joe, why. When I look now I have the same message thread, never mind messaging itself, taking up three of those multitasking slots. Something that has been bugging me for ages and it's almost worst with GDR3 even when you close the app on one of the slots it's still there in another. Bizarre way it's handled.

The screen and touch still works. The glass is pretty much the only problem with it.
I just got off with Rogers Web support and I'm going to take it into the store tomorrow and get a quote on a repair. I'm thinking its going to go somewhere into the $200 range.

Man this day isn't going well.

Well, found out the Rogers Store was still opened so I went down there. $180 for the screen replacement. They are ordering the part in and until then I have decided to just keep on using the phone because I dont want to have to deal with a loaner.

My wallet is on fire.

BIG GDR3 CHANGE

When you hold down a tile to move it they move/wobble much more than before.
Thats actually pretty cool.

I get what you're saying and it's nonsense. The HTC One Max offers a big screen for its massive size. That's it and that's good enough for most people. The Nexus 7 has a big ass screen. The iPad has a big ass screen. The Verge doesn't claim that they are useless because they don't offer multiwindow multitasking. Unless y'all now consider system-wide multiwindow multitasking an essential mainstream feature it's stupid to claim the HTC and Sony phones are useless for not including it.

I don't feel you're getting what I'm saying. In case you didn't notice, you just compared something that's supposed to be a phone, really portable, light and should fit on your pocket, with tablets. Consumers will not buy the One max as a tablet, nor can they, unless they're willing to spend much more money for an inferior product. The One Max offers a big screen for its massive size and good battery life. But other than that it's worse than every other phone in that range and clearly worse than the HTC One. It's big, fat, much heavier than the Note 3 and again, does not offer any other features to make up for it, while it costs the same as the Note 3 and more than the Mega. It's a stretched out HTC One with a shitty camera and people will not buy this product. It sucks as a smartphone and sucks as a tablet. One could make an argument how it's a shame that consumers neither bought the regular One, but it's only a shame, because the One is a really good product, the max isn't.

kharma45

Bing Weather updated with lockscreen support and wide tile.

Tempted to start using it since I can't open the Forecast app any more, but the live tile is still working away great for some reason.

Razdek

Banned
Are any other companies besides Nokia coming out with new WP handsets this fall? It seems like all the OEMs they had for WP7 and now WP8 are all slowly dropping out.

Razdek

Banned
It's a research prototype. They rarely look like consumer products.

Why would they even build that prototype as they must've known consumers don't want that? It seems like a waste of research and money. Don't tell me that was the best one out of all the ideas they came up with.

Milchjon

Why would they even build that prototype as they must've known consumers don't want that? It seems like a waste of research and money. Don't tell me that was the best one out of all the ideas they came up with.

That syncing of those screens and the interaction between them seems like the kind of thing engineers would have fun with.

It's a hardware research prototype. They go through many, many stages until they get canned or go into pre-production and the proper design stage.

Here's another popular example.

Concept:

Ih92vo3.jpg

NYXr1ny.jpg

Hardware research prototype:

EIg1f6i.jpg

Milchjon

This store has both the cyan and grey 920 (oh myyy) and the 1020. First time I've seen it in person. Utterly gorgeous in yellow. I WANT IT

Bing Weather updated with lockscreen support and wide tile.

Tempted to start using it since I can't open the Forecast app any more, but the live tile is still working away great for some reason.
I just updated it with neither feature being available. What magic did you perform?

Edit: Nevermind. Opened it up and now all is working.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This store has both the cyan and grey 920 (oh myyy) and the 1020. First time I've seen it in person. Utterly gorgeous in yellow. I WANT IT

That's the one I have, the matte yellow is beautiful. You know you want it :p

Milchjon

Also, 1020 screen>>>>>>920 screen.

That's the one I have, the matte yellow is beautiful. You know you want it :p

Yeah, but the 920 is about 350 Euros less. That much for a big improvement to the cam and small improvements to weight, looks and screen is hard to swallow.

hadareud

The Translator
Also, 1020 screen>>>>>>920 screen.

Can't agree with that I'm afraid.

I love how the colours pop and I love the black levels, but the 920 is a lot better when it comes to text. The 1020 looks pixely, for the lack of a better word.

With the 920 you don't get that at all. Superior for browsing, so superior all round for me.

WorldStar

Banned
posted this in the Nokia Lumia thread but there seems to be a good amount of Lumia users here so figured I'd re-post it here.

Dropped my Lumia 928 in the toilet last night

Immediately turned it off and dried it off the best I could with a towel

Didn't have any rice tho

Just turned it on this morning, seems to be working fine...

gg phone, I knew it was built like a brick so I assumed it was pretty durable but I really had no idea. This seems to vouch for that, hopefully no problems show up down the road.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My 920 has taken an absurd amount of punishment. Any other big phone would have been obliterated by now. This shit is the Thinkpad of the smartphone realm.

SkyDrive integration in 8.1 is pretty great. Just noticed all my phone pictures are in a folder.

Edit: Did I read somewhere that the IE11 tab sync would work with WP8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom