• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Another GDR3 annoyance, Maps and Search have the same icon.

mdiyhMQ.jpg

Get it sorted lastflowers

SkyDrive integration in 8.1 is pretty great. Just noticed all my phone pictures are in a folder.

Edit: Did I read somewhere that the IE11 tab sync would work with WP8?

Only WP8.1 iirc.

I am going to scour the OS for inane, pointless things to complain about. First multitasking (well that is genuinely annoying) and now this.

YOU'RE PUSHING ME OVER THE FUCKING LINE HERE BOYS.

The multitasking this is by design IIRC to enable various other things within the apps. Like writing an email but then going to the start menu and reading a different email. Or, what I frequently do write a text to someone, but query another message or two in the middle of writing the text.

Now, it taking up a 'slot' of your hard-limited number of apps is questionable. I've also seen a couple of times going 'really, those were taking up a bunch of slots?' In particular changing a Setting can take up like 3 panes or so

kharma45

The multitasking this is by design IIRC to enable various other things within the apps. Like writing an email but then going to the start menu and reading a different email. Or, what I frequently do write a text to someone, but query another message or two in the middle of writing the text.

Now, it taking up a 'slot' of your hard-limited number of apps is questionable. I've also seen a couple of times going 'really, those were taking up a bunch of slots?' In particular changing a Setting can take up like 3 panes or so

Yeah it can be handy for texts or mail at times, but the flip side is as you say when you've settings taking up three panes or the same message thread doing the same.

iOS 7 has the same visual style of fast app switching that allows for what feels like an unlimited number of apps to be scrolled through. Will that ever come to WP or is there a software limitation stopping it, or is it just a design decision?

Yeah it can be handy for texts or mail at times, but the flip side is as you say when you've settings taking up three panes or the same message thread doing the same.

iOS 7 has the same visual style of fast app switching that allows for what feels like an unlimited number of apps to be scrolled through. Will that ever come to WP or is there a software limitation stopping it, or is it just a design decision?

more than likely both, probably memory and performance concerns. It would be weird to scroll back 20 pages to something just to start the app again--which is something I've noticed with the iPad mini that bothers me. Why both including all of these apps in the multitasking drawer if you aren't actually holding that navigation state? It's only the appearance of multitasking/tombstoning at that point

No buzz or leaks on the new 20mp pureview sensor?

Hope it's a winner. I wanna see the software stabilization from the 909 and the OIS of the 1020 combined.

Ah, J. Allard, how thou art missed.

He should be the one to head up Microsoft; the guy was ahead of his time.

It's a hardware research prototype. They go through many, many stages until they get canned or go into pre-production and the proper design stage.

Here's another popular example.

Concept:

Ih92vo3.jpg

NYXr1ny.jpg

Hardware research prototype:

EIg1f6i.jpg

J. Bravo

Just got a Lumia 920. What do I do first? I already have Windows 8 on my computer so I'm not totally ignorant of the OS, but this is my first modern smartphone. I went from a Samsung Rant to a Blackberry Curve 8530 to a friend's Nexus 3G for the last month or so. I'm not counting the POS that is the 3G as a modern smartphone.

EDIT: Oh, and even though I am connected to wifi, and set the date correctly, I can't sign into my Windows account yet :(

Just got a Lumia 920. What do I do first? I already have Windows 8 on my computer so I'm not totally ignorant of the OS, but this is my first modern smartphone. I went from a Samsung Rant to a Blackberry Curve 8530 to a friend's Nexus 3G for the last month or so. I'm not counting the POS that is the 3G as a modern smartphone.

EDIT: Oh, and even though I am connected to wifi, and set the date correctly, I can't sign into my Windows account yet :(

So first things first. Go into Wifi, hit Advanced Settings and tell it to Keep Wi-Fi on under the lockscreen. It will save you a bunch of trouble later down the line.

Next is try checking for updates. Who knows how long your phone was sitting on the shelf. It may not have GDR2 installed. If there are no updates waiting, then your phone is probably already on it. In which case, turn on Glance on the phone (use peek view for battery saving). Then also in settings turn on double tap to awake. Those are pretty much the main Nokia Settings you have to worry about, set the rest if you feel like it.

Next thing is getting your Microsoft Account on the phone. You said you were having problems with that. Do you use Two-Factor Identification? If so you will have to generate an App Password from account.live.com

Once your Microsoft Account is on, associate the other accounts you want to put on the phone.

Then go grab some apps.
Firstly, go into Nokia Collection in the store and grab what you want out of there. For my recommendations.
Games:
'Wordament' Amazing and addictive word finding game
'Halo: Spartan Assault' Its halo

Apps:
'MyTube' is the best youtube client on Windows Phone
'Windows Phone Central' is amazing for news on everything to do with Windows Phone

Nero3000

Set up SkyDrive backup syncing, especially for photos.

kharma45

350 dollars for a 16 gig Nexus 5.

Is it me or is that more expensive than in the past?

edit: nm, it's me

If the 32GB came in at £279 or so here i would be tempted to grab it should the reviews be positive. Wouldn't mind a change in some ways and it would tide me over until Nokia bring out a 5" or less successor to the 92x range.

hadareud

The Translator
It's a great price, no doubt.

I was thinking this morning, with Google/Androids dominance in the mobile space, will the EU become interested in their Nexus model?

They are clearly selling at a price that no competitor could hope to match for similar hardware. Could be construed as abusing their monopoly, I think.

Zeknurn

I was thinking this morning, with Google/Androids dominance in the mobile space, will the EU become interested in their Nexus model?

They are clearly selling at a price that no competitor could hope to match for similar hardware. Could be construed as abusing their monopoly, I think.

Neither the EU or the US care about their monopoly in search and online advertisement so I don't see why they would care about their soon to be monopoly in mobile OS.

hadareud

The Translator
You're probably right, but as they keep growing at some point their image of the nice nice company will go away and I it could be then that the EU will start taking notice of what is going on.

Looking at the N5 - I don't understand why when something has software buttons (awful) it still needs a rather largeish "bezel" at the bottom. In fact, it's even nearly 1.5 times bigger than the one at the top.

I like that the notification bar and nav bar at the bottom are transparent now. Looks a lot less shit.

If they can nail it with 5.0 (system settings are still dark blue in 4.4), then I probably wouldn't mind using Android again. It helps that Microsoft's services are available everywhere.

And speaking of settings and colors, the WP design team needs to do something about the phone settings. It's a mess, especially when you have Nokia putting 10 other options and functions in there. My Lumia 920 has 40(!) options listed under "settings". As good as Segoe WP looks, that menu is awful.

And for the love of god, please use some colors in your apps. Flat design doesn't always have to be black and white with some shades of grey.

Milchjon

Totally agree on the Settings. It's one of these things where the OS is getting really old, just like the standard camera app.

It's also especially bad because there's almost no prioritisation. And quick access stuff like rotation lock shouldn't even be in there.

And yes on colors too. I still think the Xbox hub and Skype are good examples of how you can stay roughly within the design principles and still make it look more lively.

Totally agree on the Settings. It's one of these things where the OS is getting really old, just like the standard camera app.

It's also especially bad because there's almost no prioritisation. And quick access stuff like rotation lock shouldn't even be in there.

And yes on colors too. I still think the Xbox hub and Skype are good examples of how you can stay roughly within the design principles and still make it look more lively.

Rotation Lock feels like it really should go inside of Ease of Access. Maybe also be a Connectivity Options which holds Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, Internet Sharing and Airplane mode instead of having those as separate categories.

Every category should be modifiable by OEMs though so that OEMs like Nokia could put Feedback and Feedback to Nokia in a single category or Storage Check inside of Storage.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah the settings are a mess. And it is getting worse all the time, they need to sort it out.

I do like the white on black though. I've switched all apps that allow you to to it as well. I'm even using the dark skin here on my phone.

Colours are overrated.

this_guy

No because the Nexus models aren't a monopoly. Samsung sells way more Android phones than the Nexus line.

kharma45

If only they would allow me to renew my contract now D:

Also, I'm having problems with the mobile site on GDR3. After making a new post, it directs me to an empty page with the ads, GAF header and footer but nothing in the middle. Same with editing, or multiquotes. I select and the text box comes empty.

I had that earlier but presumed it was due to the password change thing atm on GAF, hadn't happened on GDR3 for me until today.

hadareud

The Translator
No because the Nexus models aren't a monopoly. Samsung sells way more Android phones than the Nexus line.

That's not what I said, the Nexus line is limited in numbers, I know that.

What I meant is that Google have a near monopoly with Android and their underpriced/heavily subsidised Nexus line may be construed as them abusing their position.

Suerte

6tag got updated to version 2.0 today - ridiculously impressive for just one guy and I'd say it's superior in a lot of ways to the official apps on other platforms.

Suerte

And he has a bug fixe submitted already

Apparently he's given up his full-time job to concentrate on developing apps for Windows Phone - with support like this, we don't really need an official Instagram app. Although it would be helpful for building market share for WP, I guess.

kharma45

Looks great.

Dark theme :bow

The bigger pictures have made such a difference, even more brilliant to use now.

Apparently he's given up his full-time job to concentrate on developing apps for Windows Phone - with support like this, we don't really need an official Instagram app. Although it would be helpful for building market share for WP, I guess.

Na we still need it, so many people don't care about third party apps and want official ones.

this_guy

That's not what I said, the Nexus line is limited in numbers, I know that.

What I meant is that Google have a near monopoly with Android and their underpriced/heavily subsidised Nexus line may be construed as them abusing their position.

Google doesn't have a monopoly with Android if Samsung sells more Android phones than Google. I understand you mean monopoly as far as operating systems are concerned and I'm speaking of handsets. If Google did something anti competitive at the OS level, such as making software feature exclusive to the Nexus line and didn't allow other Android manufacturers to use said feature, then they would be abusing their position. No one is jumping on Amazon for selling their Kindle Fire tablets at or near cost.

Official apps will always be important for a platform. As good as 3rd party apps might be, once the platform holder changes some APIs, those apps will stop function and need to be updated first, which can take days. Just look at YouTube as a great example.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think the key for MS and Nokia is having differentiators like the camera. If the 1020 didn't exist, that N5 would be super enticing. As it is, I have a One X in my house gathering dust. Every time I'm tempted to use it, I remember that I'd have to deal with a typical smartphone camera and I'd end up taking my 1020 anyway. It really shattered my perception that wp8 isn't sufficient as a daily driver. I'm selling it, the grass isn't greener over there, not with the camera I have.

I expect smartphone cameras to take a big leap next year now that displays, processors and gpus are reaching more than good enough status. When other phones are matching the camera, then I can consider another platform again. I think a bigger phone next year will allow apple to do interesting things with their cameras, and of course Samsung usually puts decent shooters on their phones as well. I expect one or both of them to really push imaging next year.

hadareud

The Translator
Google doesn't have a monopoly with Android if Samsung sells more Android phones than Google. I understand you mean monopoly as far as operating systems are concerned and I'm speaking of handsets. If Google did something anti competitive at the OS level, such as making software feature exclusive to the Nexus line didn't allow other Android manufacturers to use said feature, then they would be abusing their position. No one is jumping on Amazon for selling their Kindle Fire tablets at or near cost.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It is still a bit ominous, though. You're right, I meant on the OS side - but their Nexus line is designed to push just that.

Amazon is different with their Kindle stuff. First, there's other competitors that sell tablets at the same price (supermarkets like Tesco etc.) and secondly I'd be surprised if they hold much more than 5 to 10 % of the tablet market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating higher prices as such. I think it's great that you can get such good hardware at such a low cost - but the other manufacturers, namely the smaller ones and those that are not in the strongest shape financially, do get fucked over by it, because there is simply no way to compete with that.

I'm still amazed about how well Twitter notifications work vs Facebook notifications, which don't work at all and never worked for me (except for FB Chat in the messaging hub). Just what the hell is going on there?

this_guy

Yeah, you're probably right.

It is still a bit ominous, though. You're right, I meant on the OS side - but their Nexus line is designed to push just that.

Amazon is different with their Kindle stuff. First, there's other competitors that sell tablets at the same price (supermarkets like Tesco etc.) and secondly I'd be surprised if they hold much more than 5 to 10 % of the tablet market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating higher prices as such. I think it's great that you can get such good hardware at such a low cost - but the other manufacturers, namely the smaller ones and those that are not in the strongest shape financially, do get fucked over by it, because there is simply no way to compete with that.

I agree, it's harder for smaller competitors to compete. But at the same time if prices are low it's good for the consumer, and I think that makes it hard for any consumer watchdog type group to tell Google their prices are too low.

The free Nokia Lumia 1020 with a contract at Microsoft stores looks interesting. It seems like it'll be cheaper to get it free, then pay AT&T the early termination fee of $325 then it is to buy it off contract anywhere else. You might have to pay for a month‘s service and activation fee, but that's still cheaper than the off contract price.

PG2G

I'm still amazed about how well Twitter notifications work vs Facebook notifications, which don't work at all and never worked for me (except for FB Chat in the messaging hub). Just what the hell is going on there?

My guess is internally developed applications have push integrated at a certain point where externally developed applications have them integrated outside of their system using a much less reliable API.

Wonder how the Windows 8 app is.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Phone prices are artificially inflated by OEM's because they know many people will buy on contract. I applaud Google with their Nexus line. I remember when Nokia launched the 920 in the US at $450 off contract, that's what allowed me to pick one up rather than a Nexus 4. Too bad the international price was high though, not sure why they did that.

My guess is internally developed applications have push integrated at a certain point where externally developed applications have them integrated outside of their system using a much less reliable API.

Wonder how the Windows 8 app is.

I wanted to try it yesterday, but forgot my Facebook credentials. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom