• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

HTC 8X (color versions) isn't as perfect as it look:

EEn6W.jpg

Full story: http://www.neowin.net/news/how-the-htc-windows-phone-8x-could-be-improved

Oh goddamnit...

I installed an app call "Cocktail Flow". I open it and it keeps crashing right away. I even did a re-install. Did anyone else experience this problem? I'm on the 920btw

Hmm so after Metro Tube got updated it has been absolutely torching my battery. Woke up this morning, took the phone off the charger, watched a couple videos, then left the phone alone without closing the app. Pick up the phone now a couple hours later, it's warm and I have less than 20% battery left. Yikes, hope they update it again soon.

Raistlin

For SurfCube fans ... just got word the WP8 rev is about ready to beta. I should be getting it soon.

While IE 10 ain't bad, I can't wait to get back to some fullscreen goodness.

So I just got a 12 month Xbox Music subscription. So far I like it and it seems to work well enough with Windows Phone.

...Plus I somehow managed to find Jpop deep within their servers that I was able to stream and download.

Lucius86

Banned
So i took the plunge and moved from Android to the Lumia 920. There are some key features that i do miss, but on the whole I am liking the change.

How would you go about strapping the phone securely to a helmet like in that video posted? Because that could save me buying a go pro camera if I can use this!

Troll

Banned
So i took the plunge and moved from Android to the Lumia 920. There are some key features that i do miss, but on the whole I am liking the change.

How would you go about strapping the phone securely to a helmet like in that video posted? Because that could save me buying a go pro camera if I can use this!

You should work your neck out for like, a year, before you even consider that.

kharma45

Welcome aboard dude!

Looking around I can't see that much (probably looking in the wrong place). What about duct tape and a case? :p

Lucius86

Banned
You should work your neck out for like, a year, before you even consider that.

ha, its not THAT heavy - You get used to the extra weight pretty damn quickly (well, I have anyway).

Welcome aboard dude!

Looking around I can't see that much (probably looking in the wrong place). What about duct tape and a case? :p

Cheers! I was hoping for something more elegant, especially as I don't have my own helmet yet, so i was hoping there could be a solution that would not require tape so I can mount it to a helmet pretty quickly. I will keep on hunting.

I hope whenever Spotify releases their app for Windows Phone 8, they'll bring some feature parity with it.

I'm comparing the WP7 app with the Android app and:

The old green splash screen is hideous
It doesn't have the radio function
Obviously no thumbs up for radio songs (5 months since the feature was introduced)
No private session
No gapless playback and crossfade
No quality setting for downloaded tracks
"What's new" shows only new releases (6 of them), but not top playlist among friends or top tracks among friends
I can't find the inbox

Talking about the red headed step-child.

What good is it to have big names on your platform, if they don't do anything after releasing the first two versions?

Lucius86

Banned
Yeah, apart from Google not developing apps whatsoever, I am finding the quality of apps that have been made just not in the same league as Android and iOS. I hope developers do start putting effort into Windows Phone 8, because the core phone is pretty damn good and I'm enjoying using a phone again.

Yeah, apart from Google not developing apps whatsoever, I am finding the quality of apps that have been made just not in the same league as Android and iOS. I hope developers do start putting effort into Windows Phone 8, because the core phone is pretty damn good and I'm enjoying using a phone again.

I love the OS. I really liked using it on my old LG Optimus 7 and WP8 is basically more of the same, which is good for me. There are very few apps I use and want on a phone, so it's actually not a big deal for me, but it just happens that Spotify is one of the 4 apps and the lack of WP8 support is a deal breaker for me. I'm only on Android, because the LG broke and I would've been mental to buy a 7.5 device few months before the OS 8 launch, knowing I couldn't upgrade the OS.

But I can totally understand when people drop their Lumias and other phones for iPhones and Androids, because of apps. Again, having 150,000 apps on your platform doesn't say anything, if the quality isn't there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty happy with the apps I got. I would mainly like to see some more games (specifically board games like Ticket to Ride, etc.). An app for my bank would be nice as well (RBC), which is supposed to be coming soon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is there a list of wp8-optimized apps? Its really awesome when an app I use updates and I get a high res icon, instant start, super fast loading/scrolling, and the double wide tile if I want it.

derFeef

Is there a list of wp8-optimized apps? Its really awesome when an app I use updates and I get a high res icon, instant start, super fast loading/scrolling, and the double wide tile if I want it.

There should be a category in the store for this so devs would be a little bit more forced to use those features.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I hope whenever Spotify releases their app for Windows Phone 8, they'll bring some feature parity with it.

I'm comparing the WP7 app with the Android app and:

The old green splash screen is hideous
It doesn't have the radio function
Obviously no thumbs up for radio songs (5 months since the feature was introduced)
No private session
No gapless playback and crossfade
No quality setting for downloaded tracks
"What's new" shows only new releases (6 of them), but not top playlist among friends or top tracks among friends
I can't find the inbox

Talking about the red headed step-child.

What good is it to have big names on your platform, if they don't do anything after releasing the first two versions?

I think the way the Spotify business model works (ie you don't see the app until you've already given them money) inevitably leads to all the mobile apps being really under developed (though you're right WP is by far the worst).

It would be easy to feel victimised as a WP user but the truth is no one is happy with their spotify apps, and spotify doesn't really seem to care. If Xbox music was even as well featured as Zune was I would have seriously thought about switching.

I think the way the Spotify business model works (ie you don't see the app until you've already given them money) inevitably leads to all the mobile apps being really under developed (though you're right WP is by far the worst).

It would be easy to feel victimised as a WP user but the truth is no one is happy with their spotify apps, and spotify doesn't really seem to care. If Xbox music was even as well featured as Zune was I would have seriously thought about switching.
Care to explain? Because I'm pretty happy with Spotify on Android. It's one of the few quality apps on this platform that also has their own design.

I've been looking for this, too, with no luck. I'm surprised the "Flow" team hasn't updated AppFlow--they were good about adding new categories of apps to it back in WP 7.5 and they've updated WeatherFlow and CocktailFlow.

Colleague has an 8S now. Very sexy phone.

The phone beeing good looking is a problem really. Comparing it to similairly specced phones, it's overpriced. I want a yellow|grey 8S sooo bad when I'm looking at it, but then comes the realisation that is has a 1Ghz dual core cpu, 512 MB ram, 4GB internal storage.

The Xperia Sola has comparable internals but with 8GB NAND and NFC. Oh and it's 70 euro's cheaper.

The 8S should have had 8X' specs and the 8X should have had One X specs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 8s will obviously perform better than an android phone with the same or similar internals. The 4gb is expandable for media but you can't use it for apps and that is unforgivable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 8s will obviously perform better than an android phone with the same or similar internals. The 4gb is expandable for media but you can't use it for apps and that is unforgivable.

I thought they made changes recently so you could put apps on expandable memory?

this_guy

What do you base this on? It uses a dual core 1ghz Qualcomm S4 which is fine for any Android phone running 4.0 or higher.

I want my money's worth of hardware. Yeah I'm one of them.
Besides, it would have been a really good move of HTC to make the 8S compete with the Xperia Sola, price wise. I think people would be surprised how great a phone at that price performs compared to Android phones at the same price.

Come to think of it, the only difference between the Xperia U and the 8S is the fact that the 8S has expanadble storage. But, there is Xperia U (which has comparable internals) costs around 177 euro's (cheapest) and the 8S around 270 euro's (cheapest). These are off contract. On contract, the HTC 8S competes with the Xperia S. I'd buy an Xperia S over the 8S in a heartbeat.

What do you base this on? It uses a 1ghz Qualcomm S4 which is fine for any Android phone running 4.0 or higher.

Dual-Core S4 to be precist. What vM meant is that a Windows Phone performs better than an Android with the same internals. I can't back that statement up because I neither own a dual-core android phone or a windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom