• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Apple is on a path to irrelevancy IMO. They are going to take a huge hit to their tablet market share in the next year, IMO.

They are lucky that the folks in the US are still infatuated with their products.

zero_suit

Apple is on a path to irrelevancy IMO. They are going to take a huge hit to their tablet market share in the next year, IMO.

They are lucky that the folks in the US are still infatuated with their products.

Android is going to dominate the tablet market just like smartphones.

Eanan

Im a bit confused; are all these apps that were announced today, just coming to lumias, or all windows phone 8 devices. It was called the Nokia event after all I think.

bedlamite

Android is going to dominate the tablet market just like smartphones.
You really think the Surface line/ the rest of the Win8 or RT tablets have no chance of gaining traction in the tablet space? If anything the tablet market is even younger than the smartphone market, Android may dominate but we're already seeing WP8 starting to eat up more market share; in terms of tablets it's anybody's game right now, with Apple the clear leader in marketshare but possibly slipping due to stagnation. A ton of things happened at Nokia World today which can only spur developer acceptance, going forward. Similar to WP8's painful early years, RT may just be a little slow getting off the ground...I honestly think RT is a decent tablet OS, live tiles work great on a phone and the tile concept works just fine on a tablet as well.

Milchjon

Man, Thurrott is such an insecure whiner:

SuperSite readers know that I first highlighted the Lumia 2520, then under the codename Sirius back in September when I published the first-ever photo of, and details about, the device. And while I've enjoyed seeing that photo appear unattributed on every tech blog in the world since then, Nokia today officially unveiled the device, giving us more information about this most curious of releases.

Was he not invited to Abu Dhabi?

Eanan

Christ that Samsung ativ S on amazon has dropped to €182 for a new device... it just keeps dropping in price.

I dont think I can resist going back to WP, especially after that announcement today about the apps.

So theres also a snapchat app coming to WP right?

If so, that might just tip me over the edge to flog my nexus 4.

Milchjon

One thing that always was a bit annoying to me on my 800 was that it felt like the camera had a relatively low dynamic range. It seems like the 920 performs a little better in that regard. I assume the 1020 is way better still.

HDR and and a better Panorama are two of the few imaging applications that I feel Nokia really has to deliver yet. I wonder why they haven't, since they play around with all kinds of imaging stuff.

Edit: Stuff that's coming with the Enterprise Pack:

aAFdLub.jpg

Hope it's available for consumers too.

maeh2k

I'm not sure what to think about the new 6" Lumias. Just seems insane for a phone. So weird they haven't announced a new ~5" phone.
Maybe we'll see a true 920 successor with the update next spring.

Milchjon

Leaked treasure tag pic from yesterday:

BXG7lTfCAAAJ1qu.png:large

That app makes it look like they will really try to sell several to you, hope the price reflects that.

And whatever this means:

@evleaks ‏@evleaks 28m
Ready for more? Nokia Illusionist may have stylus support.

freshair

Is anyone using the MetroMail beta?

Why should someone use this app over the native client?
- First-class support for archiving, starred emails, and labels
- No more broken threads when replying to emails
- Proper search functionality
- Support for multiple From addresses
- Select a specific label (e.g. Primary) to display on the live tile
- Properly display long HTML emails

[IMPORTANT] Device requirements:
- Windows Phone 8 only; apologies to WP7 users!
- Devices running GDR2 only (support for non-GDR2 devices coming soon)

MAJOR THINGS THAT ARE MISSING BUT COMING SOON:
- Push notifications
- Live tile support
- Handling attachments

Security & Privacy:
- The application only connects directly to Gmail servers (can be easily verified) and your password is never stored locally. It is as simple as that. The authentication process is no different than logging into Gmail through your device's web browser.

Doffen

Rudy at IamA:

snapchat is a easy app, 2-3 weeks max

I can't speak about my current work for microsoft.

I will try to do the same thing that 6sec and 6tag. First publish an application with all features from official apps then try to imagine how to have a better experience, what features can I do.

I will not mirror the android design, but adapt it to windows phone with my personal imagination

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...rudy_huyn_windows_phone_developer_and_addict/

Edit: Cock.

Milchjon

He says something to the effect of "Instagram and Vine won't be done for another 3-4 months"

wut

Edit: Also claims he has some apps in the windows store under another name.

Doffen

He says something to the effect of "Instagram and Vine won't be done for another 3-4 months"

wut

He's merely guessing since Vine got announced months ago and still isn't out yet.

KageMaru

Wish they announced the 929, but if the device is a Verizon exclusive, it makes sense to exclude it from this event.

The 1520 looks better than I expected. I was worried it would be too big.

I also don't see much of a point for a budget priced phablet. Maybe there's an untapped market for such a product?

The app announcements are great, hopefully they get to a point soon where old apps are no longer considered a major announcement.

Good event overall. Shame so much of it was leaked early.

kurbaan

Banned

wut

He's wrong, I'm pretty sure Vine is coming soon.

Wish they announced the 929, but if the device is a Verizon exclusive, it makes sense to exclude it from this event.

The 1520 looks better than I expected. I was worried it would be too big.

I also don't see much of a point for a budget priced phablet. Maybe there's an untapped market for such a product?

The app announcements are great, hopefully they get to a point soon where old apps are no longer considered a major announcement.

Good event overall. Shame so much of it was leaked early.

I think there is like the Note 3 is 300 on a contract. This thing is gonna be very cheap.

You can sell your 820 as well. I sell stuff to subsidize buying phones off contract.

Also, we seem to be glossing over the announcement that Xbox video is FINALLY coming. That's one huge hole that was left over from the zune/xbox transition. I hope it comes in time for my vacation and it damn well better support file transfer from PC and/or phone download and offline playback for sales and rentals.

The nice thing about this is that because its unbundled from the OS, they can fix it if it breaks, like the Music Hub tends to do!

PG2G

I hear the Galaxy Maxx does pretty decent numbers in less developed countries, so that's probably the market they are going for.

That said, I believe the 1320 is near spec equivalent with the 92X with the major difference being camera vs. screen size. If you don't care about the camera at all (a business phone for example), the 1320 at $350 is a pretty interesting device.

zedge

Nokia Lumia 1520 videos:

Nokia Lumia 1520 - What's your story?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyN5hU24PFo

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Switch to Nokia Lumia for smarter business:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSuLrRynt84

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Create your own story with Nokia Storyteller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCzjMmNJktc

Nokia Lumia 1520 first hands-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhT56YjOto

Nokia Lumia 2520 videos:

Nokia Lumia 2520 - Made for Mobility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVA4-Adlm7g

Nokia Lumia 2520 - Work. Play. Everywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qppJV4znI4

Nokia Lumia 2520 first hands-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFXRYrZFxsg

Great videos, I actually really like the 1520. The cover for the tablet is pretty cool too. Not sure about RT though. I would go Nokia though cause I really don't like Tegra.

delirium

Company is willing to subsidize a new smart phone for me. I'm thinking of getting a Windows Phone, I really like the new Lumias, but which carrier is best for getting them? Verizon?

Company is willing to subsidize a new smart phone for me. I'm thinking of getting a Windows Phone, I really like the new Lumias, but which carrier is best for getting them? Verizon?

It really depends what phone you want to get. If you want the ones just recently announced, you will probably have to go AT&T. If you dont want the new ones, you can get the 928 from Verizon or the 925 or 920 (the difference being built in wireless charging) or the camera juggernaut 1020 from AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom