• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

EjsBO9i.jpg

Love Grin and InNote.

Has anyone played around with auto fix? How badly does it affect IQ? Because on the phone it looks great.

n64coder

What are people using to organize their music to sync to the WP? I have ITunes and I would like to move away from it. Looks like the Sync app works with ITunes or Windows libraries. So do most people put their music in Windows libraries or do they use some other app to manage it?

I did manually put a few albums on my WP using Windows explorer. They were Arcade Fire albums. I noticed that 2 of the albums showed up under "Arcade Fire" and one under "The Arcade Fire". Not sure how I can fix "The Arcade Fire" one to drop "The". I guess I need to use some sort of program that knows how to read the meta data? I was able to use MPATool to download covers for the albums.

I do like the ability that I can copy my music off the phone onto another computer if I want to. This was a restriction that annoyed me with iOS.

PG2G

Try using Mp3tag to fix the tags, though sometimes it is the result of Windows Phone doing stuff on its own. If the tags seem fine you can try turning off 'Connect with Xbox Music'

Nero3000

What are people using to organize their music to sync to the WP? I have ITunes and I would like to move away from it. Looks like the Sync app works with ITunes or Windows libraries. So do most people put their music in Windows libraries or do they use some other app to manage it?

I did manually put a few albums on my WP using Windows explorer. They were Arcade Fire albums. I noticed that 2 of the albums showed up under "Arcade Fire" and one under "The Arcade Fire". Not sure how I can fix "The Arcade Fire" one to drop "The". I guess I need to use some sort of program that knows how to read the meta data? I was able to use MPATool to download covers for the albums.

I do like the ability that I can copy my music off the phone onto another computer if I want to. This was a restriction that annoyed me with iOS.

Xbox Music (Pass) user here. Everything is organised in my cloud collection. Any new music outside of the Xbox Music is a) matched or b) put into SkyDrive - that way my collection (both matched and unmatched) is available on every device).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Now, I know the xperia Z1 wasn't the Nokia 1020 killer that some Sony enthusiasts claimed at launch. But I bet you guys didn't know that there will be a magical firmware and software update sometime next year that will make the phone rival the 1020!

zomgbbq said:
The source said by the end of January, the Z1 will be better than most digital compacts, and better than pretty much every other Android phone, and it should be competitive with the 1020, though the 808 is still out of reach.

I bet the software also fixes the horrible triluminous displays on the phones as well!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Now, I know the xperia Z1 wasn't the Nokia 1020 killer that some Sony enthusiasts claimed at launch. But I bet you guys didn't know that there will be a magical firmware and software update sometime next year that will make the phone rival the 1020!

I bet the software also fixes the horrible triluminous displays on the phones as well!

But then Lumia Black will be out making the 1020 even better. Van, did you update the camera app. Did you notice an increase in the speed of the app?

Messed around with a 1020 the other day. Was really surprised by weight.

Try using Mp3tag to fix the tags, though sometimes it is the result of Windows Phone doing stuff on its own. If the tags seem fine you can try turning off 'Connect with Xbox Music'

Isn't this backwards? If the tags are messed up when displaying on your phone but not on your computer, then turn off Connect with Xbox Music.

Also, once you have messed up tags on your phone they will actually stay there even if you delete the files using Windows Explorer and copy over a new version of the file with connected tags. You need to delete the songs from your phone first (press and hold over a song name) then delete any remaining folders using Windows Explorer, then copy over the songs from your computer again with corrected tags.

This is all based on GDR 1, 2 apparently fixed some things but others have said not really.

Edit: I also want to add that I would rather go through this than have iTunes installed on my computer. Hate that program.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Van, did you update the camera app. Did you notice an increase in the speed of the app?

Maybe a little, I'm not sure. Honestly, everyone makes a big deal with the start up times, but pressing the shutter button from the lock screen has always gotten me into shooting mode in time to get every shot I've wanted. Not that I wouldn't prefer faster access and shot-to-shot times but I've always felt that issue was blown out of proportion by people who wanted to find flaws with the phone.

NeOak

Maybe a little, I'm not sure. Honestly, everyone makes a big deal with the start up times, but pressing the shutter button from the lock screen has always gotten me into shooting mode in time to get every shot I've wanted. Not that I wouldn't prefer faster access and shot-to-shot times but I've always felt that issue was blown out of proportion by people who wanted to find flaws with the phone.

That is the same kind of people complaining that the Surface Pro 2 doesn't last on battery as much as an iPad.

Shit, I didn't know the iPad had a Core i5 too /sarcasm

n64coder

This is all based on GDR 1, 2 apparently fixed some things but others have said not really.

I'm on 8.0.10211.204, AIO Wireless. Is that GDR 1? I noticed that when I press/hold back to bring up the running tasks, I don't have the ability to close any tasks. I think this was a feature that went into GDR2.

One thing I really like about WP is the alphabetical listing of programs. On my ipad, I hated scrolling through pages of apps to find the program I want although I sometimes will remember to use the search to find it.

I'm on 8.0.10211.204, AIO Wireless. Is that GDR 1? I noticed that when I press/hold back to bring up the running tasks, I don't have the ability to close any tasks. I think this was a feature that went into GDR2.

One thing I really like about WP is the alphabetical listing of programs. On my ipad, I hated scrolling through pages of apps to find the program I want although I sometimes will remember to use the search to find it.

closing of apps was introduced in gdr3

KageMaru

I'm trying to post an image on my buddy's Facebook page but when I go to my saved pictures, it shows a few of my pictures and the rest all look like duplicates of one of my pictures. Happens both on the beta and official app. Anyone else run into this issue?

Maybe I should try some third party apps and see if they work better for posting pictures.

I kinda want a Windows phone... How are the HTC 8X and Lumia 928 on Verizon? And where can I find them cheap off-contract?

I have the 928 and love it. Before I put the case on, my white model got a lot of attention. Initially had an issue where apps would shut down when the phone got warm and the phone wouldn't boot up properly, but was able to swap it out without any issues.

I'm sure the 8X is a great phone but you really can't beat Nokia's app support. Some apps are exclusive to Nokia devices for a limited time and the apps provided directly from Nokia are awesome.

Suerte

I'm sure the 8X is a great phone but you really can't beat Nokia's app support. Some apps are exclusive to Nokia devices for a limited time and the apps provided directly from Nokia are awesome.

Definitely agree - I had an 8X before my Nokia 1020, the extra support and app exclusives are really worth it.

Fox Mulder

Definitely agree - I had an 8X before my Nokia 1020, the extra support and app exclusives are really worth it.

The 8x is still a nice looking phone that is thinner and lighter than a lumia if you don't really care about a better camera. I have one wih AT&T and it still gets the vitally important Nokia navigation apps.

But yes, Nokia is the first place to look if you're interested in a WP device. It's nice to see them go out and spend money on apps, and even let them trickle to other phones. MS should be doing this for the entire OS.

I like both 8x and 928. They're different experiences/flavors on WP. The app-support on the lumia is quite nice. The smaller body and sleeker design of the 8X is also nice. The camera on the 928 is better, but the FFC on the 8x is better. The speakers and headphones are louder on the 8X, so if you drive IEMs the 928 can be lower than desired.

Goku

Banned
I really like how the new Asha phones look with the dual layered plastic, looks like a phone in an ice cube. Hope to see some lumia's like that.

Milchjon

LG, "the world’s No. 3 smartphone seller" posted their Q3 earnings: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-24/lg-electronics-misses-estimates-on-smartphone-marketing.html?cmpid=yhoo

"LG’s mobile division had a third-quarter operating loss of 79.7 billion won on sales of 3.05 trillion won. Smartphone shipments in the quarter were 12 million units."

... if only they had gone Android.

So basically: Don't sell smartphones if you value making money.

Edit: Speaking of earnings: MS is dying.

catmincer

Trust me, as an Xperia Z owner. These firmware updates make the camera worse. Sony camera phones = disappointing. I cannot figure it out. Their digital cameras are great but their phone cameras are garbage.

zedge

Trust me, as an Xperia Z owner. These firmware updates make the camera worse. Sony camera phones = disappointing. I cannot figure it out. Their digital cameras are great but their phone cameras are garbage.

it's probably because their camera division != phone division.

Microsoft is the same way in many cases. The guys who made media center aren't the same guys who made the zune. Win8 UI != same people who made the original WP UI.

That being said, often times they have very large channels of communication.

catmincer

it's probably because their camera division != phone division.

Microsoft is the same way in many cases. The guys who made media center aren't the same guys who made the zune. Win8 UI != same people who made the original WP UI.

That being said, often times they have very large channels of communication.

Yes of course but supposedly with the Z1 they were having the camera team help out. Didn't seem to result in much.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just picked up a black 1020 for my girlfriend. It's a shame Rogers doesn't care the white one :( She didn't want to get one the same colour as mine.

PG2G

Setting up my 1020 now. Love how thin it is but the hump on the back is going to take osme getting used to. I'm used resting my finger where the bump is

But then Lumia Black will be out making the 1020 even better. Van, did you update the camera app. Did you notice an increase in the speed of the app?

Messed around with a 1020 the other day. Was really surprised by weight.
Yes, it is faster also and also saves the image quicker.

Setting up my 1020 now. Love how thin it is but the hump on the back is going to take osme getting used to. I'm used resting my finger where the bump is
When your finger rests on the hump you can feel assured that you have the best camera phone! (And that you are above average camera phone user).

I actually do like the feel of aluminum camera housing.

Joe

guysssssss

my Lumia 520 has HORRIBLE wifi connectivity.

it takes the phone 15 seconds to load up google.com

it takes my laptop 2 seconds

it takes my jailbroken 3GS with latest 6.x firmware 6 seconds

wtf?

lots of similar issues after doing a google search. one recommendation is turn airplane mode on/off but it does nothing for me.

MCD

WhatsApp update is up.

Voice Messaging improvements
Pin chats to start
New settings: orientation lock (WP7), text size
Better message forwarding options
Various enhancements and bug fixes
New languages: Croatian, Hungarian, Lithuanian

Fjolle

guysssssss

my Lumia 520 has HORRIBLE wifi connectivity.

it takes the phone 15 seconds to load up google.com

it takes my laptop 2 seconds

it takes my jailbroken 3GS with latest 6.x firmware 6 seconds

wtf?

lots of similar issues after doing a google search. one recommendation is turn airplane mode on/off but it does nothing for me.

My guess would be that you don't have internet access through the wifi.

Fjolle

Sorry. I don't really have any useful suggestions.. Maybe something is wrong with the dns lookups?

try opening 87.104.252.53 instead of google.com?

Joe

Interesting!

87.104.252.53 loads up in 2 or 3 seconds and google.com still takes a long time.

what could that be?

PG2G

Damnit. I have gone through so many phones recently that I am unable to remove my old devices from my Xbox Music Pass lol. Hope they can actually fix this for me without having to wait.

Edit: That was easier than I thought. First time chat tech support has ever been useful lol

frontieruk

My 820 battery life is dire. I took it off the charge at around 8:30am and now at coming up to 2:45pm the thing is nearly dead.
What have you used it for? And are you in or regularly passing through poor coverage areas?

My HTC one can last a day or 5hrs depending where I am based at work.

MCD

My 920 was absolutely terrible but either the recent updates or me going WiFi only, something made it better for sure.

Pretty sure it's the latter.

could be a mixture of both. There's always fine tuning with network code to ensure the most battery efficient way of handling disconnection/connection. That being said, it's probably the Wi-Fi ;). My 8x can last for two days if I don't have my sim in it and I'm not using it a terrible amount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom