• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2013 version is supposed to be much better. I'll wait until the new bay trail $300 8" W8 tablets are reviewed before I pull the trigger. I really wanted to stay on IOS. Oh well.
I too am waiting on the new bay trail tablets to be reviewed before pulling the trigger on a tablet.

Milchjon

Watched some video on WP app design yesterday. The one thing I thought was a bit weird was the guy saying something to the effect "if your function in the app bar has more than maybe 7 letters, put it in the text menu below".

Shouldn't prioritization be based on the importance of a functionality instead of how good you are at coming up with short words to describe it?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm absolutely gutted!

I lost my Limia 920 about 7 months ago and rather than just buy the same phone again I decided to bide my time and wait for a new Limia. Wasn't impressed with the 925 or the 1020 and have just seen the 1520!

It is everything I wanted and more, I must have it!

Only problem...my wonderful girlfriend knew I was fed up without a smartphone of my own and went and surprised me with a brand new Xperia Z1 as an early Birthday present...

It's a nice phone and she was so happy when she gave it to me, but I want that damn Limia!

I just can't get on with Android...even stupid stuff like typing this out was much easier and smoother on my 920.

I can never say anything though, it would break her heart :(

Well, that just explain why you keep saying Limia, you are using Android. Well you probably could sell Xperia and get 1520 and tell your GF you lost it. :p

Though you will have the Lumia but you might become single if she find out. :D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On the one hand, it's an amazing present. On the other hand, it's not what you wanted. If it can be returned, I'd have a conversation with her about what an amazing gift it was and how happy you are to have someone who loves you enough to get such an extraordinary gift. Then I'd let her know that you have your eye on this other phone and you'd really like to have it. Maybe do it over a nice dinner you buy her, she deserves it.

scently

Typing on WP is the best out of every platform out there. The word suggestion is very logical, with a lot of options and it remembers your most frequently used words and whatnot. It annoys me every time I type with my Nexus 7. It keeps giving me random words and just 3 options to choose from.

So WP Central is reporting that At&T is again removing Qi wireless charging features from 1520 that are going to be sold by the carrier. *sigh* If you want Qi you will have to get charging shell.

Also on Windows Weekly, Greg Sullivan sp?, Director of Windows Phone was on this week with Paul Mary Jo and Leo. He didn't really say anything we didn't already know though he did take a jab at Google regarding YouTubes when Leo asked him about it. Most of the questions were pretty softball which is too bad. I did get annoyed with him constantly feel like they making a great stride. Thing like how fast they push out Portico, well they didn't really have much of a choice when many of the phones keep rebooting by themselves (or in my case just shut off randomly). They seem to think Live Tiles is all the people should be happy with which make the notification center not priority for them. At the end they ask him about guitar (pin?) and he said he plays music. I would have ask him if he is a big music fans, how the heck did they launch the phone OS with one of the worst music player apps. Even with GDR3, the volume bug is still there, we still don't have the features from Windows Phone 7. (Though I just realized that the Stop Music app seems to fix the problem without having to resort to rebooting the phone). And of course he echo his boss Joe, the sentiment that stuffs take times and that they have other priority when it comes to update the OS).

If the rumor of COD on Xbox One running at 720p and crashing of the OS is true, then the whole company really need to rethink what it is they want to do in this consumer space. Few years ago I would think this rumor is ridiculous, but after Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and all the debacles that is Xbox One this year I am not so sure it's just a rumor. I did see the OS crash when I was at PAX but then again it was running alpha build, however couple that with all the "rumors" from the developers about how far behind they are as far as SDK for Xbox One I just have terrible feeling for Xbox One at launch.

So my company finally got rid of our old blavkberrys and have replaced them with Nokia Lukia 720's.

I'm completely new to Windows phone and haven't used a nokia in about 12 years anything I should know, tips etc?

I was at a careers fair run by the university today. Microsoft guys were really nice and done a good job of explaining, what I can only describe as, a hellish sounding recruitment process.

Also, of the 21 pens I acquired today, theirs was up there with the crappiest. Intel had a pen with a USB inside it, for shame Microsoft Dublin, for shame.

I was at a careers fair run by the university today. Microsoft guys were really nice and done a good job of explaining, what I can only describe as, a hellish sounding recruitment process.

Also, of the 21 pens I acquired today, theirs was up there with the crappiest. Intel had a pen with a USB inside it, for shame Microsoft Dublin, for shame.

Not surprising, they also hand out the worst swag at PAX. Company like 2K, Sony, even Sega give you nice posters, t-shirts, pins, etc. Microsoft just tell you to go pre-order their games after you finish the demo. Only nice things they handed out that I can recalled was when Bungie was still around, you might get sew-on badge and download avatar code for playing demo. I am sure that was Bungie that was pushing Microsofts to do nice things for fans.

kharma45

Also, of the 21 pens I acquired today, theirs was up there with the crappiest. Intel had a pen with a USB inside it for shame Microsoft Dublin, for shame.

Damn i knew i should've went along.

http://www.wpcentral.com/chickens-cant-fly-returns-windows-phone

Why oh why is Xbox on WP still a piece of shit? Who the fuck is in charge here?

That is just sad and depressing to read. Forza 5 is the only reason that I am buying Xbox One but the reason is getting harder and harder to justify. My favorite XBL genre is pinball game, you can guess what game won't be coming to Xbox One because of their anti-indie games policy. Actually, Pinball Arcade was delisted from Xbox 360 because they don't have publisher. The sad thing is, it was the best version of the Pinball Arcade ... oh, and I still can't play my Dodonpachi.

That's so fucking stupid. Is there any motivation for this other than selling shells?

They don't want to support their competitor choice (Qi is support by Verizons, AT&T support the other one, PowerMatters or something). I am sure selling shells for extra money doesn't hurt, even though when I went to At&t store, they (nor Microsoft store) had any of the 1020 charging shell in stock).

MCD

That is just sad and depressing to read. Forza 5 is the only reason that I am buying Xbox One but the reason is getting harder and harder to justify. My favorite XBL genre is pinball game, you can guess what game won't be coming to Xbox One because of their anti-indie games policy. Actually, Pinball Arcade was delisted from Xbox 360 because they don't have publisher. The sad thing is, it was the best version of the Pinball Arcade ... oh, and I still can't play my Dodonpachi.

Xbox One Indie stuff will come after launch, like early next year. Same thing will be applied to X360.

But WP8 is absent from MS vision for indie.

It's ALWAYS like this. It's always some division at MS keeps on fucking with WP or just flat out ignores it.

Xbox One Indie stuff will come after launch, like early next year. Same thing will be applied to X360.

But WP8 is absent from MS vision for indie.

It's ALWAYS like this. It's always some division at MS keeps on fucking with WP or just flat out ignores it.

If they will come to 360, I will hold out for the Pinball Arcade and not getting PS4 until next year but from what I read the indie policy only apply to Xbox One and not Xbox 360. (Hence, the reason why the Pinball Arcade got pull from Xbox 360 store).

MCD

If they will come to 360, I will hold out for the Pinball Arcade and not getting PS4 until next year but from what I read the indie policy only apply to Xbox One and not Xbox 360. (Hence, the reason why the Pinball Arcade got pull from Xbox 360 store).

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197106/

UPDATE: A representative for Microsoft only had this to say: "We have not announced any changes to our publishing policy for Xbox 360. We look forward to sharing more about self-publishing on Xbox One at Gamescom."

I guess it got updated later. Damn.

Not surprising, they also hand out the worst swag at PAX. Company like 2K, Sony, even Sega give you nice posters, t-shirts, pins, etc. Microsoft just tell you to go pre-order their games after you finish the demo. Only nice things they handed out that I can recalled was when Bungie was still around, you might get sew-on badge and download avatar code for playing demo. I am sure that was Bungie that was pushing Microsofts to do nice things for fans.
They also gave out crappy draw string bags-- for lack of a better description. As did Amazon. The people were nice though, probably spent the most time talking to them as their work does sound far more appealing than most. Recruitment process sounds rough though. Suppose it's much the same as any huge company like that. Send CV, follow up phone or Skype interview, online coding test, down to Dublin for three 30 minute interviews in one day and some whiteboard coding. Gross!

Damn i knew i should've went along.
My bag was actually filled to the neck with pens, lanyards, bags, USB sticks, stress balls, mutli USB adapter etc. You name it, I came home with it. A much better haul than last year.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but the shells are likely equal parts accessory profit and phone longetivity in case the qi standard loses the battle. At&t also has extra incentive to remove the qi functionality as they're part of the competing Power Matters Alliance.

You can Google it to learn more, theres currently 3 groups that have been formed: PMA, A4WP and WPC.

Ultimately though I feel like the shells aren't a great solution on unibody phones, especially if you cant use a case you like. Samsung's removable battery covers are the most practical solution i've seen.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197106/

UPDATE: A representative for Microsoft only had this to say: "We have not announced any changes to our publishing policy for Xbox 360. We look forward to sharing more about self-publishing on Xbox One at Gamescom."

I guess it got updated later. Damn.

They only support indie games on Xbox One because of Sony PS4. If it were not for PS4, they would probably stick to their ass backward way of doing things. Even though their PR keep saying this has been their plan all along, but it's curiously won't be ready at launch and will be support sometimes "later". This "later" future support thing seems to be a running theme with Microsoft lately.

Ugh, I am not sure why I am so salty with Microsoft this morning, probably from listening to that Windows Weekly podcast on my way home from work. The article you link doesn't help MCD!

MCD

I'm always salty regarding MS. Nokia is what kept me in this ecosystem. They listen, they acknowledge and they respond fast with great attention and care.

I really don't know what will happen to Nokia once they get absorbed in Redmond's policies.

That's so fucking stupid. Is there any motivation for this other than selling shells?

It's incredible that AT&T can actively work against Windows Phone and routinely take out features, both software and hardware, plus delay updates, and yet they still get all of the best phones first. This is so annoying. By taking out Qi charging out of the box AT&T ensures that people using the technology will be a fraction of what it would be if it was built in to the phone, thus helping the competing power standard AT&T supports. And if people do want wireless charging bad enough then AT&T gets some high-margin accessory sales. Ugh. AT&T wins no matter what, AT&T's customers lose no matter what.

... ... ... I'm not paying for my own wireless service, I'm just an additional line on my parents' plan. But that will change pretty soon, and there's no way I will be signing up with AT&T if I can help it.

Milchjon

So my company finally got rid of our old blavkberrys and have replaced them with Nokia Lukia 720's.

I'm completely new to Windows phone and haven't used a nokia in about 12 years anything I should know, tips etc?

Follow this thread!

Get the apps from the Nokia collection, download some maps (the are integrated rather well in several apps).

Play around with the settings, there are some functions that you might miss.

Anything else depends on what you want from the phone. So just ask if you have more specific questions.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol, antique and MCD can stink up a thread real quick. It's crazy, because my friend was telling me how happy he was with ms now that 8.1 is out, saying they've made some good choices lately. But there is always the feeling that the grass is greener elsewhere. I thought the apple show was a dud, Google has coasted with android for the past year, and the most exciting stuff in phones this year, as far as I'm concerned, the monster sensor on my phone. Why are we mad again? I'm using a one x that the carrier abandoned, meanwhile I was easily able to upgrade my 1020 to the latest update without issue.

Lol, antique and MCD can stink up a thread real quick. It's crazy, because my friend was telling me how happy he was with ms now that 8.1 is out, saying they've made some good choices lately. But there is always the feeling that the grass is greener elsewhere. I thought the apple show was a dud, Google has coasted with android for the past year, and the most exciting stuff in phones this year, as far as I'm concerned, the monster sensor on my phone. Why are we mad again? I'm using a one x that the carrier abandoned, meanwhile I was easily able to upgrade my 1020 to the latest update without issue.
You can say its tradition at this point.

NeOak

I've been salty since I left my Dell Venue Pro to a 920. No hardware keyboard for WP8. The thing had rotation lock by opening the keyboard for God's sake!

Get the Weave reader app - it's fantastic for keeping up with news and such across a broad range of subjects.

And as another mentioned, the Nokia Collection apps contain some essentials. The HERE Drive app is awesome, and if you have a vehicle with nav, most likely it's using Navteq software (who is owned by Nokia, thus giving you the same nav on your phone!)

With ATT removing the wireless charging and 32mb from the 1520, the Verizon 5" 929 is on my watch list. I hope the early rumors about it costing $500 are correct.

It's incredible that AT&T can actively work against Windows Phone and routinely take out features, both software and hardware, plus delay updates, and yet they still get all of the best phones first. This is so annoying. By taking out Qi charging out of the box AT&T ensures that people using the technology will be a fraction of what it would be if it was built in to the phone, thus helping the competing power standard AT&T supports. And if people do want wireless charging bad enough then AT&T gets some high-margin accessory sales. Ugh. AT&T wins no matter what, AT&T's customers lose no matter what.

... ... ... I'm not paying for my own wireless service, I'm just an additional line on my parents' plan. But that will change pretty soon, and there's no way I will be signing up with AT&T if I can help it.

The news of removing the 32gb version just made me change my mind on the 1520. So Nokia announces support for RAW files and ATT reduces the amount of storage space on one of the supported phones? Go fuck a duck.

hadareud

The Translator
The news of removing the 32gb version just made me change my mind on the 1520. So Nokia announces support for RAW files and ATT reduces the amount of storage space on one of the supported phones? Go fuck a duck.

It has SD card support, though.

16 or 32gb doesn't really make much of a difference.

Nero3000

The most hilarious thing about last night's Apple event is that the iPad 2(!!) is still $399 for 16GB WiFi.

I was more partial to the fun with charts section.

9dtV8yy.jpg
This would be more interesting if it didn't follow an exponential curve.

Yup, that's what you would expect if you double the performance every year. Although I wonder what would happen if you baseline it to the performance of iOS at the time.

This would be more impressive if it didn't show a decline in sales.

Milchjon

I'm quite fond of InNote, one of the apps that were announced yesterday.

It's a rather basic sketching/notes app, but it's pretty and quick.

I mainly like it because it lets me paint red arrows on pictures. A way underrated functionality.

Edit:

And since we're speaking about graphs:

prod_suite_adoption.png

148 IT decision makers :-D

but internal storage and external storage are treated differently, remember.

That being said, that issue isn't as big a deal on something that starts with 16gb internal. The App/WPUpdates should be able to fit in 16gb

Nero3000

I'm quite fond of InNote, one of the apps that were announced yesterday.

It's a rather basic sketching/notes app, but it's pretty and quick.

I mainly like it because it lets me paint red arrows on pictures. A way underrated functionality.

I'm hoping that at some point these 5"+ phones gain Wacom digitisers and OneNote gets a substantial upgrade.

Would also imply Windows RT could get a Wacom digitiser too (foundation for ARM drivers, same kernel etc.)

148 IT decision makers :-D

Unfortunately my IT decision makers are absolute idiots and out of touch with the desk monkeys.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Oh my goooooooddddddd

I just noticed a fan made pebble watch app has hit the store, apparently he just submitted an update so it will work with the Lumia 920 (resolution restrictions... ugh)

I am excite! The last missing piece of my app requirement is about to fall :D

Oh my goooooooddddddd

I just noticed a fan made pebble watch app has hit the store, apparently he just submitted an update so it will work with the Lumia 920 (resolution restrictions... ugh)

Wouldn't that require the app to be opened 24/7 for the pebble to operate? I mean unless it was using a GPS or Audio background app to force background processes to go off then the App would be limited to maybe updating once every 15 minutes (I say maybe because I'm not sure if you can schedule a bluetooth task as a background task)

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh my goooooooddddddd

I've wanted to get a pebble for a while, will wait for impressions on the app.

Also, someone needs to check on brot.

it would be so cool if it works. I almost about to ditch my Pebble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom