• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So At&T pretty much confirm they have Nokia removed Qi wireless charging feature because of their association with PowerMatters consortium.

The article on WPcentral is a bit unclear if they are coming out with PowerMatters charging shell or if there will be Qi charging shell available (probably not available at At&t store just like 1020 one wasn't). They probably also claim that 16GB storage is because they off their cloud locker (which after one month, I still have yet to be able to sign into).

Well I was thinking about 1520 for my wife this Christmas, but if she can't use the existing Qi charging pads that I have lying around for all our Nokia phones then the deal is off.

Microsoft, please pick a better Premiere Partners please. You guys want to be consumer products company start learning to make your consumers like you for a change.

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-removed-qi-lumia-1520-make-room-pma

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pick a side fellas, I'm qi for life and am preparing the OT as we speak.

Also, its so sad that HTC built the beautiful 8x and then completely abandoned it.

Fjolle

Interesting!

87.104.252.53 loads up in 2 or 3 seconds and google.com still takes a long time.

what could that be?

Haha, really?

How do other sites compare?

I'm thinking that the dns settings are borked, and everything takes ages to look up.

I'm not really that into networking, but from what i care to google it seems like you can't change network settings on a WP.

Try checking that the network settings are the same on a computer and the phone. Try changing the dns settings on the router to google or opendns. Other than that i don't really know...

So stupid that there is war over wireless charging...
standards.png

Karish

Stuff like glance screen (basically a clock that's always on your screen), double tap to wake, etc. They also support their devices for a longer time and have some exclusive apps.

I went to the verizon store to check them out. I MUCH preferred the feel of the 8X to the 928...

Milchjon

I went to the verizon store to check them out. I MUCH preferred the feel of the 8X to the 928...

Yeah, it's a good phone. When it came out, some places reviewed it better than the Nokia phones back then. And if you can get a much better deal on it, go ahead with it.

But you'll miss out on some stuff. Stuff like the full Here Drive+ (AFAIK non-Nokia phones only get the slightly gimped version where only the maps for your own country are free) or Cinemagraph or the awesome Nokia Camera app. Then there's Glance Screen and double-tap to wake, the superior camera, wireless charging, and it all starts to add up. Just tons of small, neat stuff.

IIRC several GAFfers that initially got an 8X ended up with a Nokia phone later. Bummer that you're on Verizon, because that really limits your options.

I'm an 8x(T-Mobile usa)owner and I can say that the honeymoon is over. My headphone jack cracks or doesn't work, the aluminum buttons are bent (all of them) which means the camera is always being launched in my pockets, pictures are being received distorted even though they were taken just fine, I'm almost certain my antenna is bad cause I get horrible signal. I've replaced my phone 5 times because the sim card tray would not stay in which would cause it to reboot I finally ended up taping it. Camera isn't too bad, I've gotten compliments on the quality of them and I get compliments almost daily for its design. Yea I'm ready for a Nokia phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
520 doesnt work on Verizon and 928 is too pricey for me when I don't know if I like the platform...

Dude, just buy the at&t 520 and use it on WiFi. If all you want to so is try the platform out, that's all you need. Ar worst, you'll have a cool mp3 player that van olay some games.

Paganmoon

Uninteresting experience that I felt like sharing anyway.

I had a Lumia 920, very satisfied, app support could've been better, but the camera, the interface made up for it. Well, I lost the phone when I was on vacation in Bangkok during the summer. Had to go back to my HTC Desire when I got home again.

Fast forward to October, and the Lumia 1020 gets released in Sweden, so Ofcourse day 1 buy for me. I open the box, start the phone set it up with my LiveID. First thing that pops up "Do you want to restore your phone". Scratched my head for a bit, I never had a 1020, and I haven't connected it to a computer that might have had a backup anyway.
Was it talking about my 920? Well I pressed yes, and bam, it restores my lock screen, starts downloading my apps and so on I had on the 920.

That was a big wow moment for me, made me fall in love with the WP platform even more.

/P

Heretic

I had a Lumia 920, very satisfied, app support could've been better, but the camera, the interface made up for it. Well, I lost the phone when I was on vacation in Bangkok during the summer. Had to go back to my HTC Desire when I got home again.

Fast forward to October, and the Lumia 1020 gets released in Sweden, so Ofcourse day 1 buy for me. I open the box, start the phone set it up with my LiveID. First thing that pops up "Do you want to restore your phone". Scratched my head for a bit, I never had a 1020, and I haven't connected it to a computer that might have had a backup anyway.
Was it talking about my 920? Well I pressed yes, and bam, it restores my lock screen, starts downloading my apps and so on I had on the 920.

That was a big wow moment for me, made me fall in love with the WP platform even more.

/P

Awesome :)

kharma45

/P

Aye the back up is handy, and with GRD3 being able to do it over WiFi is great. I just wish it could put your Start screen back the way it was.

PG2G

WMPoweruser is reporting other free apps in different regions and say that changing the region would give access to these other free apps.

http://wmpoweruser.com/free-windows-phone-apps-and-games-include-more-than-rovio-games/

Could I get in trouble with MS for downloading free apps this way?

I don't have a problem getting free games within your own region buy I feel like people on the gaming side have gotten into trouble (account bans) for doing stuff like changing regions to get free games on Xbox. Though those threads get so long that its hard to tell if that was the actual reason for the ban.

I'd avoid it personally.

MCD

I don't have a problem getting free games within your own region buy I feel like people on the gaming side have gotten into trouble (account bans) for doing stuff like changing regions to get free games on Xbox. Though those threads get so long that its hard to tell if that was the actual reason for the ban.

I'd avoid it personally.

WP and W8 region change is console/device based. X360 is Online Account based which tends to get people into more trouble.

NeOak

not worth my hassle, I moved on to the 920 but my gf has my HD7.

it probably is worth the hassle if I can add the Nokia apps, is that possible?

Its just a cab installer. No hassle imo.

And I think there is a way to install certain Nokia apps on it, but I haven't tried it in over a year.

kharma45

GUYS I DID IT. Got a Lumia 928 off craigslist for $175. I'm pumped! What are the must-have apps and such I should get?

Get all the Nokia apps.

Then I use stuff like Bing News, Bing Sport, Podcast Lounge, Weave, Baconit and 6tag on a daily basis.

All depends on what you're looking for. Also, some free games like Cut the Rope and Angry Birds available atm, check the games OT http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527898&page=5

f0lken

I won't say a thing in the gaming forum, but even as I have preference for MS things I gotta say that the bullshit management they did and keep doing with the One is infuriating, and the bad thing is because of how long the cycles for consoles are, there is little to do to offset or reverse a lot of the mistakes they have already made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom