• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

What do you base this on? It uses a dual core 1ghz Qualcomm S4 which is fine for any Android phone running 4.0 or higher.

My Samsung Focus that originally launched with Windows Phone 7 has a piece of shit single-core 1GHz SOC in it and it still ran the OS and apps far smoother than any comparable Android phone with the same specs.

My Samsung Focus that originally launched with Windows Phone 7 has a piece of shit single-core 1GHz SOC in it and it still ran the OS and apps far smoother than any comparable Android phone with the same specs.
Things have changed. Project butter really did the trick.

Man I am still waiting for the 7.8 update. Its 2013 MS, release it already! Tis but a windows phone tradition.

It's not up to MS at this point, I think. It's been released to manufacturers a while ago, so the ball is now in their court. I'm still waiting for Nokia to upload it, too.

buhdeh

For the high end, yeah. Low end Android phones are still complete trash and I would recommend even a WP7 phone before garbage like the Galaxy Ace or HTC One V. Mid-high end is a different story though. Especially when a Nexus 4 is almost in the same price range as the 8S and Lumia 820.

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone know if 7.8 is part of the new OTA updates, or are we subject to the carriers decision, aka, my Titan will not be getting 7.8?

kharma45

Interesting post from Microsoft about YouTube on Windows Phone

“n 2010 and again more recently, Google blocked Microsoft’s new Windows Phones from operating properly with YouTube. Google has enabled its own Android phones to access YouTube so that users can search for video categories, find favorites, see ratings, and so forth in the rich user interfaces offered by those phones. It’s done the same thing for the iPhones offered by Apple, which doesn’t offer a competing search service.

Unfortunately, Google has refused to allow Microsoft’s new Windows Phones to access this YouTube metadata in the same way that Android phones and iPhones do. As a result, Microsoft’s YouTube “app” on Windows Phones is basically just a browser displaying YouTube’s mobile Web site, without the rich functionality offered on competing phones. Microsoft is ready to release a high quality YouTube app for Windows Phone. We just need permission to access YouTube in the way that other phones already do, permission Google has refused to provide.”

Despite government scrutiny, Google continues to block Microsoft from offering its customers proper access to YouTube. This is an important issue because consumers value YouTube access on their phone: YouTube apps on the Android and Apple platforms were two of the most downloaded mobile applications in 2012, according to recent news reports. Yet Google still refuses to allow Windows Phone users to have the same access to YouTube that Android and Apple customers enjoy. Microsoft has continued to engage with YouTube personnel over the past two years to remedy this problem for consumers. As you might expect, it appears that YouTube itself would like all customers – on Windows Phone as on any other device – to have a great YouTube experience. But just last month we learned from YouTube that senior executives at Google told them not to enable a first-class YouTube experience on Windows Phones.

How did Microsoft allow all this to happen? How did they let Apple & maybe more importantly Google run off in the mobile space..? Look at all the problems they face now only because they didn't act. Disaster.

MCD

I am too tired to rant over MS blahblahblah again but I will just say this:

MS and Google: stop fucking around each other and remedy this shit.

this_guy

I used the HTC Radar with Windows Phone 7 for about 6 months, and while the OS was smooth it certainly wasn't a fast phone. Outside of core functionality like text messaging or dialing out, opening apps was pretty slow (third party apps took about 10 seconds to open). Do the newer Windows 8 phones open apps and third party apps faster?

Tomcat

no it hasnt changed especially for the mid to low end
and even the high end android phones dont feel as smooth as the wp or the iphones
you can tell that on a wp or an iphone the ui runs at a steady 60fps
not on android though even the better ones like the gs3

kharma45

I used the HTC Radar with Windows Phone 7 for about 6 months, and while the OS was smooth it certainly wasn't a fast phone. Outside of core functionality like text messaging or dialing out, opening apps was pretty slow (third party apps took about 10 seconds to open). Do the newer Windows 8 phones open apps and third party apps faster?

A hell of a lot faster.

I am too tired to rant over MS blahblahblah again but I will just say this:

MS and Google: stop fucking around each other and remedy this shit.

I'm just waiting for the next Tech-Based Class Action Lawsuit. Lord knows with how messy and screwed up the laws are, we're due for one. It doesn't even matter who gets it on them, but within the next 5 years someone will.

Lucius86

Banned
I'm confused as to why Google refuses to co-operate with Microsoft for a dedicated YouTube app. Is it really all to do with the fact Microsoft have Bing, and Apple doesn't have a search engine of sorts?

Adsense doesn't work in Windows Phone either. No ads on NeoGaf or my own web site when browsing on WP8.

What's the smallest form factor W8 phone out now or on the horizon? My partner likes my Lumia 920 but really wants a smaller phone. Anything iPhone 4 size or thereabouts?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
CameraPro looks fuck awesome. Has anybody tried it?

http://www.wpcentral.com/camerapro-windows-phone-8-satisfying-control-freak-all-us

CameraPro.jpg

CameraPro%20Main.jpg

CameraPro%20Manual%20Focus.jpg

dLMN8R

so basically, what Microsoft does with all of their IP?

Can you please name for me a single Microsoft product released in the last decade that by technology standards should be completely compatible but instead is deliberately and artificially limited to only Microsoft's own platforms?

So I was just watching my computers bubble screensaver when I thought of something that would be pretty cool to have, video/moving lockscreens. I think it would be pretty awesome to be able to just install random screensavers to the phone for usage in lockscreens.

ReRixo

Banned
So I was just watching my computers bubble screensaver when I thought of something that would be pretty cool to have, video/moving lockscreens. I think it would be pretty awesome to be able to just install random screensavers to the phone for usage in lockscreens.

Major battery drain, wouldn't ever be feasible unless you don't mind charging your phone every hour.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Why is Google so scared of Microsoft and specifically Windows Phone all of a sudden? What information might they have that we don't?

Milchjon

Why is Google so scared of Microsoft and specifically Windows Phone all of a sudden? What information might they have that we don't?

I don't think what Google and MS are doing is always completely rational. They're flexing their muscles, while the consumers suffer.

Cipherr

I don't think they are scared of WP at all. I think they are just doing what large companies do. Jockeying for position. Google wants the business/enterprise presence Microsoft has. That's no secret at this point.

No love lost between these two at all. MS is launching a new "scroogled" campaign every 3 months, and Google is starving WP of API's. /shrug.

derFeef

I don't think they are scared of WP at all. I think they are just doing what large companies do. Jockeying for position. Google wants the business/enterprise presence Microsoft has. That's no secret at this point.

No love lost between these two at all. MS is launching a new "scroogled" campaign every 3 months, and Google is starving WP of API's. /shrug.

If if would be vice-versa MS would have to pay MILLIONS due to EU regulations.

this_guy

exFAT can be used by anyone that licenses it, and its part of the SDXC standard. And you don't even need exFAT for using a a 128GB SDXC, just format it with FAT32.

Can you license Youtube? No.
Can you get a better API with a license? No.

Everyone can view Youtube videos on their smartphone by using the browser. Google made the mobile site so it can be accessed by any HTML5 capable mobile browser. Want a better Youtube experience? The two other smartphone OS's can do that for you.

Totakeke

Is the Scroogled campaign getting a lot of airtime on the TV or what? I always see people mentioning it in defense of Google, but I always thought it was another one of those silly campaigns to be ignored. So now it's some kind of big deal?

Can you please name for me a single Microsoft product released in the last decade that by technology standards should be completely compatible but instead is deliberately and artificially limited to only Microsoft's own platforms?

Halo 2 Vista :)

but I mostly agree with you

Man, I've been hunting for good Windows Phone deals to replace my HD2 for over a year now.. almost got the Xperia S but decided to wait for WP8.. but now, the HTC One X is free on a 2 year contract, 26 euro's a month for 500 min and 500mb data. This offers expires on jan 31st and if by then I don't find a reasonable deal on a Windows Phone, I'm going for it!

By the way, wasn't Nokia supposed to price their phones really agressive? The Lumia 920 is about as much as the iPhone 5 here and the Lumia 800 costs more than an HTC 8S :/

Man, I've been hunting for good Windows Phone deals to replace my HD2 for over a year now.. almost got the Xperia S but decided to wait for WP8.. but now, the HTC One X is free on a 2 year contract, 26 euro's a month for 500 min and 500mb data. This offers expires on jan 31st and if by then I don't find a reasonable deal on a Windows Phone, I'm going for it!

By the way, wasn't Nokia supposed to price their phones really agressive? The Lumia 920 is about as much as the iPhone 5 here and the Lumia 800 costs more than an HTC 8S :/

It is in the US. iPhone 5 is $650 off contract, 920 is $450. With contract, 920 is around $50-100.

Don't know why it's not the same over there for you--bummer.

Piper Az

So, what's the deal with Gmail support being dropped? Is it all FUD or is this real? What's MS going to do? Losing Gmail support is a blow to WP8.

It is in the US. iPhone 5 is $650 off contract, 920 is $450. With contract, 920 is around $50-100.

Don't know why it's not the same over there for you--bummer.

Maybe because it's Europe, where Nokia has at least somewhat of a name. The US is new ground for Nokia and the best way to enter that market is by agressive pricing.

Besides, US contract system differs from Dutch contract system. The amount of money you pay for a phone on contract is decided by the type of contract. If you have a low amount of minutes/ mb's, that makes your monthly fee smaller. In order to compensate, the phone price will be much more.
Then again, the 920 isn't offically out here yet so prices might go down a bit.

I'm actually not in much need of a new phone, I'm user the leftover phone from my previous contract with a sim-only contract. I'm paying 17 euro's a month for 300 minutes and 500 mb's. The way I look at is that for 10 euro's more a month I get a 'free' HTC One X.

The downside is that I'll be swithing to Tele2, a virual carrier that operates on T-Mobile's network. T-Mobile's network is the shittiest network here. Bad reception, low internet speeds. The best carrier here is KPN and the companies that operate on their network. I'm currently on their network and it's great. The problem is that KPN and the companies that KPN own have switched to a phone lease model, which is even more expensive that a regular contract.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Everyone can view Youtube videos on their smartphone by using the browser. Google made the mobile site so it can be accessed by any HTML5 capable mobile browser. Want a better Youtube experience? The two other smartphone OS's can do that for you.

I use the browser version 99% of time, but you really haven't explained why its ok that you need the other two platforms for a better app experience.

hadareud

The Translator
Might as well post this here as well:

Looks like the Portico update for the 920 is now live in Navifirm for several more countries including EE in the UK.

By looks like it I mean I just checked and it's there.

I can't be arsed to flash my phone, but if somebody here wants to they can (would be nice to get some feedback of how it worked).

I guess we should see the OTA update soon now.

Hilarious how people threw their toys out of the pram when it was rumoured that it would take until February with the update.

Still, it's fucking time that they kept their promise and allowed carrier opt-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom