• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

BXiUrrJCIAADwwz.jpg

AMAZING RUDY

:p

I won't say a thing in the gaming forum, but even as I have preference for MS things I gotta say that the bullshit management they did and keep doing with the One is infuriating, and the bad thing is because of how long the cycles for consoles are, there is little to do to offset or reverse a lot of the mistakes they have already made

I think the xbox team underestimated how difficult it would be to move to the NT kernel. Probably the same reason the dev tools lagged behind, and that's why its at where its at now. Lucky for them they dont have to deal with a very limited update schedule, so they can update patches and roll out features bi-weekly if necessary. I'm not too worried, but the launch seems to be looking pretty poor. David Cutler's working on some lowlevel stuff, so that's good to know. He's probably among the top tier of people in the world to work on lowlevel OS stuff. I heard some rumors that he doesn't really have a boss and just picks something to work on and emerges a week or so later with changes.

WP and W8 region change is console/device based. X360 is Online Account based which tends to get people into more trouble.

Wait... really? What the fuck. So when I get my 1020 replaced, and get a new 1020, I'm losing all the content I purchased? I can't redownload them for free?

Facebook notifications shit the bed again lately.. wtf
Did they ever ...unshit the bed?
Wait... really? What the fuck. So when I get my 1020 replaced, and get a new 1020, I'm losing all the content I purchased? I can't redownload them for free?

Nah, he's just talking about purchasing in different regions and such.

All your purchases are tied to your account and unless you turned off cloud backup of your settings and such, everything should automatically download when you get the new device (if it doesn't automatically, you can redownload everything of course).

I think the xbox team underestimated how difficult it would be to move to the NT kernel. Probably the same reason the dev tools lagged behind, and that's why its at where its at now. Lucky for them they dont have to deal with a very limited update schedule, so they can update patches and roll out features bi-weekly if necessary. I'm not too worried, but the launch seems to be looking pretty poor. David Cutler's working on some lowlevel stuff, so that's good to know. He's probably among the top tier of people in the world to work on lowlevel OS stuff. I heard some rumors that he doesn't really have a boss and just picks something to work on and emerges a week or so later with changes.

Interesting insight.

I had to look up David Cutler...so he's a wizard, right?

MCD

You can, sure.

What I meant is that W8 and WP8 read your phone region, not your account region.

I can't explain it better lol.

Well, that sounded like one big mess. It's a shame all that goodwill from 7 years of Xbox 360 will be wipe out in a month. Even I have a 2nd thought on keeping my preorder. This remind me of last year Windows Phone 8 launch.

I think they really should not launch this year, Spring 2014 would be better than trying to match PS4. A 2013 console that can barely handle last Gen game running at 720p is in no shape to launch and all that will do is created more negative perception that will be impossible to repair.
They barely got out of DRM mess then the Kinect and this if they launch with inferior looking games and buggy OS, Xbox brand is done.

Well, that sounded like one big mess. It's a shame all that goodwill from 7 years of Xbox 360 will be wipe out in a month. Even I have a 2nd thought on keeping my preorder. It's remind me of last year Windows Phone 8 launch.

I think they really should not launch this year, Spring 2014 would be better than trying to match PS4. A 2013 console that can barely handle last Gen game running at 720p is in no shape to launch and all that will do is created more negative perception that will be impossible to repair.
They barely got out of DRM mess then the Kinect and this if they launch with inferior looking games and buggy OS, Xbox brand is done.

I'm just guessing. I don't know anything about it other than the funny anecdote my buddy told me about cutler.

I'm just guessing. I don't know anything about it other than the funny anecdote my buddy told me about cutler.
LOL, no we are not going to get you in trouble. I think there are enough rumors out about how far behind they are not just from journalists but from devs and publisher not showing any Xbox One games is pretty telling.

frontieruk

People only ever look at the short term, this could be the last dedicated home console ms makes, not because of failure but because they can license the brand, a sort of steambox if you will, capable of running apps/games from the windows store but with the Xbox license allowing for ms to collect licensing money for your AAA titles as well as licensing the os.

maeh2k

Come on, antique. The Xbox brand won't die due to 720p ports lol. MS DRM reversal is proof enough that they are committed to the brand, I say.

Commitment alone isn't going to help them much. They've basically already lost. I bet Sony is going to outsell them at least 2:1 if not more (when they are no longer supply constrained). This gen will be a repeat of the PS2 generation. Developers will focus on the PS4, any Kinect functionality will be half-assed, whereas devs will make good use of the PS4s spec advantage. At this point, I'd recommend the Xbox One to absolutely no one and the system hasn't even launched yet.

I might still buy one, since I actually like their vision for the system. I liked the move to all-digital with physical discs before they reversed it. I like the inclusion of Kinect. I like what they are doing with the cloud. And I like a lot of Microsoft exclusives like Forza, Forza Horizon, and Halo.
But I think I'll wait first till it bombs in Germany (aka Sony-land) and I can get a good deal.

Come on, antique. The Xbox brand won't die due to 720p ports lol. MS DRM reversal is proof enough that they are committed to the brand, I say.

And someone GAF this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87615301&postcount=18010
720p is not what I am worry about, it's the whole OS and SDK that are barely ready. It seems many of the features are coming in the "future". I am sure that some familiar to you since you are in Windows Phone thread.

People only ever look at the short term, this could be the last dedicated home console ms makes, not because of failure but because they can license the brand, a sort of steambox if you will, capable of running apps/games from the windows store but with the Xbox license allowing for ms to collect licensing money for your AAA titles as well as licensing the os.
I am not seeing that happening at all at least not with their current transition into Devices and Services One Microsoft thing.

Milchjon

I might still buy one, since I actually like their vision for the system. I liked the move to all-digital with physical discs before they reversed it. I like the inclusion of Kinect. I like what they are doing with the cloud. And I like a lot of Microsoft exclusives like Forza, Forza Horizon, and Halo.

This is the thing I'm actually excited about. My favorite part of that commercial was that soccer-to-skype thing.

I'm a terrible gamer :-/

frontieruk

This gen will be a repeat of the PS2 generation. Developers will focus on the PS4, any Kinect functionality will be half-assed, whereas devs will make good use of the PS4s spec advantage. At this point, I'd recommend the Xbox One to absolutely no one and the system hasn't even launched yet.

Devs took advantage of the ps2 spec advantage? Over what the GameCube? The ps2 hdd developer momentum from the previous gen, Nintendo products haven't had strong third party support for a long time, Sega had burnt devs with the short period between the Saturn and Dreamcast and Xbox was late to the party.

If anything the ps4 will be the og Xbox of this gen, higher specs but 3rd parties will never push the system on multiplats, you'll see higher res but its not going to be current high end pc vs 360, non forum dwellers will probably struggle to spot the differences imo.

So they don't license the specs and os for wp or RT?
Sure, if you count Nokia. I can't imagine them licensed out Xbox or spec them.

I much prefer Xbox One games and UI so don't get me wrong. My point is they are not ready for this launch. Spring 2014 should have been their target, launch with fully function machine and optimized software that I know Microsoft is capable of.

MCD

Hard to do another PS2 when Japan devs are ain't giving a shit.

OS features not ready at launch? Nothing new here. SDK is the only part that is worrisome considering the competition is running circles around them.

I'm actually glad they are getting their asses kicked. Need that MS back when they moneyhatted exclusives left and right.

What does "someone GAF this" mean?

Just a joke. :p

Paganmoon

I'm actually glad they are getting their asses kicked. Need that MS back when they moneyhatted exclusives left and right.

Why would you be happy about moneyhatted exclusives? They add nothing to your gaming experience, only removes said game from others.

It's not like you got a better game in Titanfall cause MS moneyhatted a timed exclusive with EA, it's still going to be the same game...

MCD

Why would you be happy about moneyhatted exclusives? They add nothing to your gaming experience, only removes said game from others.

It's not like you got a better game in Titanfall cause MS moneyhatted a timed exclusive with EA, it's still going to be the same game...

I meant in terms of funding them in the first place. I should have picked that word instead of moneyhat.

Paganmoon

I meant in terms of funding them in the first place. I should have picked that word instead of moneyhat.

Ahh understood :)

Going back to WP then, there never was a solid date for when GDR3 would be publically available right?
And the developer preview, anyone using that? Was thinking of installing it, but I got putt off reading that it would void the warranty, how are you guys dealing with that?

Ahh understood :)

Going back to WP then, there never was a solid date for when GDR3 would be publically available right?
And the developer preview, anyone using that? Was thinking of installing it, but I got putt off reading that it would void the warranty, how are you guys dealing with that?
Most of us don't care about silly warranty, it's not like At&t is going to give me a new phone if I drop this one.

maeh2k

Devs took advantage of the ps2 spec advantage? Over what the GameCube? The ps2 hdd developer momentum from the previous gen, Nintendo products haven't had strong third party support for a long time, Sega had burnt devs with the short period between the Saturn and Dreamcast and Xbox was late to the party.

If anything the ps4 will be the og Xbox of this gen, higher specs but 3rd parties will never push the system on multiplats, you'll see higher res but its not going to be current high end pc vs 360, non forum dwellers will probably struggle to spot the differences imo.

Of course the PS2 didn't have a spec advantage, but developers focused on the PS2. This time, they'll focus on the PS4. It will dominate in Japan and Europe and put up a really good fight in the US. It'll get the best version of nearly all multi-plattform games. As soon as it gets a significant advantage in sales, it'll also get more attention from developers. The Xbox will get lower-res ports that don't make good use of the features that set the Xbox apart (Kinect, Smartglass, Cloud).

At least this will give Microsoft some incentive to up their game with the Xbox. Not being able to use apps without a subscription, while it's possible on the PS4? Xbox live being more expensive than PS+, while also having less benefits? Not getting games because of some dumb XBL restrictions (see MMOs on the 360)? Fuck that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not being able to use apps without a subscription, while it's possible on the PS4?

This is REALLY annoying. I don't play games anymore because of my studies, so I let my xblg membership expire. Then I realized I can't use my Xbox music pass, SkyDrive, or Netflix without xblg. That actually made me really angry. Netflix, I'll just use my ps3, but the other two aren't so easy to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom