• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

This is REALLY annoying. I don't play games anymore because of my studies, so I let my xblg membership expire. Then I realized I can't use my Xbox music pass, SkyDrive, or Netflix without xblg. That actually made me really angry. Netflix, I'll just use my ps3, but the other two aren't so easy to replace.

Yeah, Microsoft are really shooting themselves in the foot with this one. The Xbox One could easily be the hands-down best device for multimedia and apps on TV. Nothing comes close in UI and processing power. Even if Apple and Amazon release new devices, they won't be $500 machines with Kinect. And the PS4 is no match, either. No Kinect (worse speech, gestures), no Windows 8 app model, no HDMI-in.
And yet, I wouldn't recommend the Xbox One to anyone for these features. No one's going to subscribe to XBL just for apps. While I know like a handful of people with 360s, I don't think I know anyone with a long-term XBL subscription. Most don't play online at all. And I only get those 3 or 6 month cards whenever I have a game I really want to play multiplayer. And I don't play much multiplayer.
In conclusion, Microsoft's multimedia and app aspirations heavily influenced the design of the Xbox (DDR3, ESRAM, 3 OS), and most users will only ever see the downsides of those decisions.

Of course the PS2 didn't have a spec advantage, but developers focused on the PS2. This time, they'll focus on the PS4. It will dominate in Japan and Europe and put up a really good fight in the US. It'll get the best version of nearly all multi-plattform games. As soon as it gets a significant advantage in sales, it'll also get more attention from developers. The Xbox will get lower-res ports that don't make good use of the features that set the Xbox apart (Kinect, Smartglass, Cloud).

At least this will give Microsoft some incentive to up their game with the Xbox. Not being able to use apps without a subscription, while it's possible on the PS4? Xbox live being more expensive than PS+, while also having less benefits? Not getting games because of some dumb XBL restrictions (see MMOs on the 360)? Fuck that.

Major third party launch games are already using these features. BF4, Cod Ghosts, and AC4 all have Kinect features (BF4 ones are pretty significant). COD Ghosts is using Azure servers to host their games.

Not saying that your points are completely wrong, but we already have third-party launch games that do use these features, and we all know that third-parties get way too little time with final hardware and well-developed tools for launch.

The PS4 is the more powerful console, but from what I've gathered this disparity at launch is largely due to MS's dev tools simply not being ready for prime time. Will there be first-party PS4 games this gen that probably do stuff that can't be done on the Xbox? Yeah I'd bet on that, but I don't think that third-party games will be an issue outside of the launch window. (Remember the PS3 had similar issues at launch with dev tools that weren't advanced enough which lead to multiplatform games such as Madden being half the frame rate on PS3.)

I have yet to encounter a podcast app with a good user interface on Windows Phone. Bringcast is a huge fucking mess, Podcast Lounge is a bit better, but still incredibly messy and ugly. The about page in Podcast Lounge makes it even funnier, considering it says something about "creating beautifully crafted, ingenious apps". Just get the international podcast support out, Rob!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there some Xbox news I missed yesterday or are we still working of the same rumors?

Forza and Ryse look great and DR3 looks like a ton of fun so I'm not worried about launch.

MCD

Is there some Xbox news I missed yesterday or are we still working of the same rumors?

Forza and Ryse look great and DR3 looks like a ton of fun so I'm not worried about launch.

Usual launch issues and rumors, cboat etc. PS4 isn't perfect either, OS missing features like suspend/resume and now BF4 is 900p.

MCD

Ah, meh then. Sounds like both consoles could have used a Spring launch.

Nah, the time is right for both.

Remember when 360 launched? Barely anything worth playing till Dead Rising and even then it wasn't a system seller till Epic wowed the industry with UE3 and Gears.

maeh2k

CoD Ghost 720p on Xbox, 1080p on PS4. If that turns out to be true, that's a pretty big deal.

hadareud

The Translator
Nah, the time is right for both.

Remember when 360 launched? Barely anything worth playing till Dead Rising and even then it wasn't a system seller till Epic wowed the industry with UE3 and Gears.

Kameo and PGR were both pretty great at launch.

Paganmoon

Ok, one thing that annoys the hell out of me on WP. The Xbox Live Gamertag. Used my new LiveID for the phone (cause the old mailadress is stupid), and it created a new Gamertag for me. And the only way for me to connect my old Gamertag is through an Xbox console, which I haven't had for years. No way to do it from xbox.com, no way to do it from the Windows Phone, no way for Xbox support to do it (due to security, they say).
Only option left it seems is finding someone trustworthy online to help with the move. Huge omission imo, considering the Gamertag is used across Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone, and Xbox, but you can only truly manage the Gamertag from an Xbox... bah!

Ok, one thing that annoys the hell out of me on WP. The Xbox Live Gamertag. Used my new LiveID for the phone (cause the old mailadress is stupid), and it created a new Gamertag for me. And the only way for me to connect my old Gamertag is through an Xbox console, which I haven't had for years. No way to do it from xbox.com, no way to do it from the Windows Phone, no way for Xbox support to do it (due to security, they say).
Only option left it seems is finding someone trustworthy online to help with the move. Huge omission imo, considering the Gamertag is used across Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone, and Xbox, but you can only truly manage the Gamertag from an Xbox... bah!

ouch. That does sound pretty terrible. I can do it for you if you want, pm me details if you want

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
how many of them launched in the same month as the competition?

cuz some of my faves were too, but they out a year or more before...

True. My favorite franchises are on Xbox so that's enough to keep me on Xbox. Maybe down the road I will consider a PS4. I couldn't care less about Knack or Killzone. I like what I like and I'm getting too old to be a soldier in the console war. Phone wars on the other hand, lol. Even there though, I have my preferences and avoid the other OTs.

True. My favorite franchises are on Xbox so that's enough to keep me on Xbox. Maybe down the road I will consider a PS4. I couldn't care less about Knack or Killzone. I like what I like and I'm getting too old to be a soldier in the console war. Phone wars on the other hand, lol. Even there though, I have my preferences and avoid the other OTs.

i've never been a console warrior. i'm all about BF4. the choice couldn't be any easier, especially when my 360 BFbros are switching to PS4 too.

i've never been a console warrior. i'm all about BF4. the choice couldn't be any easier, especially when my 360 BFbros are switching to PS4 too.

tbh, i'm surprised people even play BF on the console. That game always screams *PC* to me. CoD makes more sense on console, it's fast paced nature works well within the twin stick environment.

Zeknurn

ouch. That does sound pretty terrible. I can do it for you if you want, pm me details if you want

While we're at it. When is Microsoft going to allow people to change their gamertag other than through the xbox 360? It's time to join the 90s and let people do it via their website.

tbh, i'm surprised people even play BF on the console. That game always screams *PC* to me. CoD makes more sense on console, it's fast paced nature works well within the twin stick environment.
sounds like opposites day... the fast paced game should be more suited for PC... while the more methodical game can pass on just twin sticks.

maeh2k

This generation, the PC will be quite compelling. There's a lot of really interesting stuff happening these days. Occulus, SteamOS, Mantle, g-sync, ...
And in addition to all that, PC hardware will obliterate next-gen consoles in no time. It's kind of funny when you read on the gaming side what a beast of a machine the PS4 is and how Sony went all out. The next 7 years there will be countless discussions of how some game is slightly better on the PS4 or some game is sub-1080p on consoles. But even now, before the generation has really started, AMD has a 5.6 TFLOP/s GPU for just $550. That's more than three times the compute power of the PS4. WIth twice the ROPs and almost twice the bandwidth. That thing laughs at 1080p. And PCs will only get faster year after year. Even the higher cost can be amortized over time by cheaper games and the lack of the need of a subscription for multiplayer (or apps).
If someone cares as much about image quality as the frequent arguments on the gaming side suggest, they should just get a PC.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This generation, the PC will be quite compelling. There's a lot of really interesting stuff happening these days. Occulus, SteamOS, Mantle, g-sync, ...
And in addition to all that, PC hardware will obliterate next-gen consoles in no time. It's kind of funny when you read on the gaming side what a beast of a machine the PS4 is and how Sony went all out. The next 7 years there will be countless discussions of how some game is slightly better on the PS4 or some game is sub-1080p on consoles. But even now, before the generation has really started, AMD has a 5.6 TFLOP/s GPU for just $550. That's more than three times the compute power of the PS4. WIth twice the ROPs and almost twice the bandwidth. That thing laughs at 1080p. And PCs will only get faster year after year. Even the higher cost can be amortized over time by cheaper games and the lack of the need of a subscription for multiplayer (or apps).
If someone cares as much about image quality as the frequent arguments on the gaming side suggest, they should just get a PC.

I've never really had a gaming PC before, maybe in a few years I will. Would make more sense than having both next-gen consoles.

Doffen

I have yet to encounter a podcast app with a good user interface on Windows Phone. Bringcast is a huge fucking mess, Podcast Lounge is a bit better, but still incredibly messy and ugly. The about page in Podcast Lounge makes it even funnier, considering it says something about "creating beautifully crafted, ingenious apps". Just get the international podcast support out, Rob!

You should ask Rudy to make one. I don't really know what a podcast is, let alone how to use one.

MCD

Another minor update to WhatsApp and the black screen issue still exists on my mom's 820.

This is getting frustrating now.

zedge

BF will always be a PC game for me. Still playing bf3 multiplayer. Single player is complete throwaway filler.
COD is basically the mcdonalds of video games. Blech

Milchjon

BXnVgg8CUAAchjg.png:large

Fucking Verizon.

Jesus Verizon is absurd with their branding. I'm surprised they got away without branding on the front as well (don't the Verizon Nokia WP's have carrier branding on the front and back?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom