• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

I've not had any issues on my 820. What's going on with your mum's?

Playing videos or viewing certain messages then hitting Back triggers a black screen. Must go back to the start screen and keep entering the app till it works again.

Is the phone getting old and busted?

So it looks like I will be picking up some 521s this week.

I noticed that the 810 is actually selling between 100-150 on ebay now. Aside from being EOL'd, is there any reason I should consider that over a 521?

So it looks like I will be picking up some 521s this week.

I noticed that the 810 is actually selling between 100-150 on ebay now. Aside from being EOL'd, is there any reason I should consider that over a 521?
810 I believe has better parts and materials compared to the 521. Screen is same res but has better outdoor readability, speaker, mic, 1gb of ram, better camera, option for qi charging.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, not to keep talking about Xbox in here, but this seems related:

-looks like notifications will be busted on Xbox one at launch.

Notifications are inconsistent and flaky for me on the other two MS systems based on the same underlying OS code: Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8. This can't be a coincidence. I think notifications are simply broken fundamentally on the platform. Sometimes they work, many times not. And they can be late, on time, or never show up at all. They seem to be a bit better on Win8.1, but I've noticed getting the same notifications twice, or late, and live tiles are just as unreliable on my PC as they can be on the phone. Not good news for the Xbox one as MS still hasn't ironed those out on platforms that have been out for a year now.

kazinova

The one place I can go to excape the stupidity of gaming side, and we're being tainted.

Stay strong, brothers! Resist the urge to get sucked into the stupidity. Rumors from a man who is hell bent on hating/detracting MS should be ignored.

Milchjon

The one place I can go to excape the stupidity of gaming side, and we're being tainted.

Stay strong, brothers! Resist the urge to get sucked into the stupidity. Rumors from a man who is hell bent on hating/detracting MS should be ignored.

Well, this is actually the first time I'm worried. Price, mandatory Kinect, games, resolution etc. are all things that didn't phase me much personally. It's harder to ignore the thing flat out not working.

Paganmoon

Thought this was the Windows Phone OT, not the overall Microsoft one :)

E: First of all, could someone bring me up to speed with the latest Xbox rumors? Looks like I missed a lot.

What the fuck? Get out with that shit. This isn't some kind of weird cult in here, where we worship all Microsoft and everything they do. The same ignorance came up when the first DRM rumors surfaced and look how that went. I think that the witch hunt on the gaming side is silly, but Microsoft lost all their goodwill on their own. It's not like the hate and negativity came out of nowhere.

And why the fuck thought Nokia it was a good idea to release Black in early 2014? I already got GDR3, so hurry up with the damn firmware!

hadareud

The Translator
This isn't some kind of weird cult in here, where we worship all Microsoft and everything they do.

Is it not?

To be fair, I find this thread to be a sanctuary from the rest of Gaf exactly because it isn't some sort of Microsoft cult thing - people can have a moan and a genuine complaint while continuing to see the bigger picture (positive and negative) without going absolutely mental about it or seemingly being desperate to find the negative in everything, I find.

The gaming side is completely mental in every aspect. Not just about Microsoft, either.

kazinova

E: First of all, could someone bring me up to speed with the latest Xbox rumors? Looks like I missed a lot.

What the fuck? Get out with that shit. This isn't some kind of weird cult in here, where we worship all Microsoft and everything they do. The same ignorance came up when the first DRM rumors surfaced and look how that went. I think that the witch hunt on the gaming side is silly, but Microsoft lost all their goodwill on their own. It's not like the hate and negativity came out of nowhere.

And why the fuck thought Nokia it was a good idea to release Black in early 2014? I already got GDR3, so hurry up with the damn firmware!

Hold the fucking phone, chief, I'm clearly not suggesting that we should be an MS cult. I simply don't have enough Balmer masks for all of us. I was trying to sarcastic/jokingly point out that this thread should be about Windows Phone and not the stupidity in the general gaming forum.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it not?

To be fair, I find this thread to be a sanctuary from the rest of Gaf exactly because it isn't some sort of Microsoft cult thing - people can have a moan and a genuine complaint while continuing to see the bigger picture (positive and negative) without going absolutely mental about it or seemingly being desperate to find the negative in everything, I find.

The gaming side is completely mental in every aspect. Not just about Microsoft, either.

Hold the fucking phone, chief, I'm clearly not suggesting that we should be an MS cult. I simply don't have enough Balmer masks for all of us. I was trying to sarcastic/jokingly point out that this thread should be about Windows Phone and not the stupidity in the general gaming forum.

Good posts. The Gaming side does tend to seep in mostly everywhere.

I want my notifications fixed. Which is basically just Facebook that seems to be borked. Windows 8.1 seems to work better with Facebook. The Me Tile is ok sometimes.

Paganmoon

I want to be able to share/sync my favorites from Windows 8 to WP8. These type of connections is what they really should focus on now to improve the experience.
Also, like finding an interesting article, should be an easy 1 click to save/send to WP8 to read later.
Hmm, there isn't anything like this already right?

I'm getting really mad as I'm slowly reading through my RSS feed and catching up. If Nokia seriously keeps that font on the new Glance Screen, then I'll have to turn it off. What an ugly mess.

e: Seriously, that thing is ruining Glance for me in the same way the Android 4.2 clock ruined the lockscreen and glance for me.

aKXI1r2.png

Then I apologize for misreading your post. I only lurk on the gaming side these days and there are still lots of Xbox crazies over there that defend everything and live in their own little bubble. Which is fine by itself, but I don't want this thread to become like that.

I want to be able to share/sync my favorites from Windows 8 to WP8. These type of connections is what they really should focus on now to improve the experience.
Also, like finding an interesting article, should be an easy 1 click to save/send to WP8 to read later.

What you want is Windows Phone 8.1. Or Android.

Paganmoon

I use the "Send to WP7" app. It works with all the browsers and even has a desktop app you can use.

Nice, does it work with multiple computers? (send from work computer and also send from home computer, to the same phone?)

Hmm, getting server error on the app atm, but will try more later. Thanks for the tip!

Nevermind, it works, great thanks :)

hadareud

The Translator
I'm getting really mad as I'm slowly reading through my RSS feed and catching up. If Nokia seriously keeps that font on the new Glance Screen, then I'll have to turn it off. What an ugly mess.

e: Seriously, that thing is ruining Glance for me in the same way the Android 4.2 clock ruined the lockscreen and glance for me.

I think notifications are vital for glance to make sense.

I doubt that they'll force all that stuff on us anyway, you should be able to customise what you want it to show.

I'd want notifications there, but not that step stuff and other useless crap.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I would LOVE to have the steps stuff, I can't wait until we can get that update. If anything, I want glance to replace the lock screen so I don't have to go through glance AND the lock screen just to get to my start screen.

hadareud

The Translator
I would LOVE to have the steps stuff, I can't wait until we can get that update. If anything, I want glance to replace the lock screen so I don't have to go through glance AND the lock screen just to get to my start screen.

I should have said stuff that is useless to me.

I'm sure there's plenty of things that people would want on their glance screen and it would be great if they could, as long as I don't have to have it to (which I'm sure I won't).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I want the Reading List app for my phone, MS! I've already added stuff in from my PC, it should be fairly simple to do a phone app and have it sync with the metro app. It doesn't store the articles anyway, just a link.

I think notifications are vital for glance to make sense.

I doubt that they'll force all that stuff on us anyway, you should be able to customise what you want it to show.

I simply don't want them to ruin the Glance Screen by using that shitty font for the clock. I doubt they'll let you customize the font.

bedlamite

Pocket bookmarklet + Pouch

n64coder

What are the browser alternatives other than IE that people use on Windows phone?

I'm having an issue with the m.cooksillustrated.com website where the recipe's ingredients list doesn't have scroll bars so I can't view the entire list. It works fine on an iphone. I'm trying to see if it's a site or a browser issue.

Milchjon

What are the browser alternatives other than IE that people use on Windows phone?

I'm having an issue with the m.cooksillustrated.com website where the recipe's ingredients list doesn't have scroll bars so I can't view the entire list. It works fine on an iphone. I'm trying to see if it's a site or a browser issue.

AFAIK all WP browsers have to use the IE rendering tech so it probably won't make a difference.

Have you tried the non-mobile site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom