• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

lUXQCLz.png

I wonder if notifications will be reliable with it.

hadareud

The Translator
Right, the yellow tint from the photos when you use flash is gone, great news.

Other than that, difficult to tell. I haven't noticed anything else.

edit: re-framing works again, too.
edit again: actually, the yellow is not gone entirely, but it's definitely better.

frontieruk

Last Xbone post from me promise

So, not to keep talking about Xbox in here, but this seems related:

-looks like notifications will be busted on Xbox one at launch.

Notifications are inconsistent and flaky for me on the other two MS systems based on the same underlying OS code: Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8. This can't be a coincidence. I think notifications are simply broken fundamentally on the platform. Sometimes they work, many times not. And they can be late, on time, or never show up at all. They seem to be a bit better on Win8.1, but I've noticed getting the same notifications twice, or late, and live tiles are just as unreliable on my PC as they can be on the phone. Not good news for the Xbox one as MS still hasn't ironed those out on platforms that have been out for a year now.

that's the least of their issues if my understanding of the problem is correct, instead of having the 'host' OS (basically the one running the VM's) deal with VOIP, invites etc and just have slightly different API calls to draw friends into 'App OS' or 'Game OS' while allowing VOIP across the platform, they seem to have API's in both APP and Game OS's which they are unable to smoothly pass from one VM to the other causing drops and missed notifications before taking into account that Win/WP8 have notification issues, they could be taking Xbox live to the dark ages if they don't find a solution.

E: First of all, could someone bring me up to speed with the latest Xbox rumors? Looks like I missed a lot.

What the fuck? Get out with that shit. This isn't some kind of weird cult in here, where we worship all Microsoft and everything they do. The same ignorance came up when the first DRM rumors surfaced and look how that went. I think that the witch hunt on the gaming side is silly, but Microsoft lost all their goodwill on their own. It's not like the hate and negativity came out of nowhere.

And why the fuck thought Nokia it was a good idea to release Black in early 2014? I already got GDR3, so hurry up with the damn firmware!

Rumours :-
720p games compared to 1080p on ps4
B0rked notifications/ invites / party system (see previous response to Van)
delaying review copies of multiplat games
Smartglass broken
1.4gig day one update

hadareud

The Translator
I have a feeling that launch won't go too smoothly on either console. Nintendo had issues last year too iirc.

Just a sign of the times I guess.

Though it is rather embarrassing for a software company, I have to say.

certainly seems that way.

Luckily Windows Phone never has bumps, right!?

You can't compare these two brands. While Windows Phone has the bigger volume, Xbox has or had the way bigger mindshare in the industry and the consumer space and therefore more to lose. Windows Phone has been a bump since launch and it still is, but no one really cares. If the things I read turn out to be true (thanks frontier), then you really have to wonder what the fuck went wrong. I'd looove to read a book about Durango's development from A to Z from all kinds of people.

I remember WP7 barely usable at launch. Shit happens. Deal with it.

You need to define that. I don't remember OS7 being a buggy mess with a terrible user experience that needed lots of patching. It might've been a smart dumb phone OS at launch, but it was nothing the Xbox One seems to be shaping up to be.

MCD

You need to define that. I don't remember OS7 being a buggy mess with a terrible user experience that needed lots of patching. It might've been a smart dumb phone OS at launch, but it was nothing the Xbox One seems to be shaping up to be.

Store wasn't active for me till that copy pasta update among other things.

Mango was the real WP7 OS.

You can't compare these two brands. While Windows Phone has the bigger volume, Xbox has or had the way bigger mindshare in the industry and the consumer space and therefore more to lose. Windows Phone has been a bump since launch and it still is, but no one really cares. If the things I read turn out to be true (thanks frontier), then you really have to wonder what the fuck went wrong. I'd looove to read a book about Durango's development from A to Z from all kinds of people.

oh, I definitely am not trying to trivialize it if there really are major problems. I figured the launches would be somewhat janky, but not as janky as the rumors suggest.

and hopefully our next release will please as much as mango did. I'm seeing some really cool stuff lighting up. Now, whether everyone else thinks its as nice as I do, that's another story.

Wasn't that more of a region restriction? And while 7.1 turned OS7 into a smartphone OS, it didn't turn the OS around to make it usable for the masses in the same way a huge mandatory patch for an entertainment system would do.

In a way I wish I'd buy an Xbox One at launch, just to tinker and fiddle with the pre-update OS. I hope someone else does it.

n64coder

AFAIK all WP browsers have to use the IE rendering tech so it probably won't make a difference.

Have you tried the non-mobile site?

I see, that's like how Chrome still uses Safari underneath. Yes, the non-mobile site works fine but it's hard to view on the phone.

I sent an email to cooksillustrated.com to report the issue. Hopefully they can come up with a fix.

Is this sort of problem usually a bug in the browser or the website design? Do people frequently see render issues on WP platform?

MCD

and hopefully our next release will please as much as mango did. I'm seeing some really cool stuff lighting up. Now, whether everyone else thinks its as nice as I do, that's another story.

Just let Joe be on stage again. We miss him. :(

Wasn't that more of a region restriction? And while 7.1 turned OS7 into a smartphone OS, it didn't turn the OS around to make it usable for the masses in the same way a huge mandatory patch for an entertainment system would do.

In a way I wish I'd buy an Xbox One at launch, just to tinker and fiddle with the pre-update OS. I hope someone else does it.

I don't remember but I do remember it lagging in the store like crazy or no access at all.

Note: regarding my mum's 820 and WhatsApp: I uninstalld the app and opted not to restore the backup. Much smoother now and still no freezing bug to be seen. Fingers crossed.

MCD

what's the update do? Not noticing anything new...
The big focus on v4 was to get the app super stable for Windows Phone 8. The last three months of work on Rdio has focused on user feedback and completely rewriting the app. There are some new features like Facebook login, signing-out and more, but the focus was on creating a solid Windows Phone app for Rdio. Now that they’ve nailed that, they’ll work on adding new features.

http://www.wpcentral.com/rdio-has-been-completely-rewritten-windows-phone-8-now-available-download

For some reason my phone refused to update apps over WiFi, which I didn't notice until the last update and now the four updates killed the last bit of data I had left. Now my data is crippled to 64k until the 9th Nov.

Thanks Joe.

NeOak

For some reason my phone refused to update apps over WiFi, which I didn't notice until the last update and now the four updates killed the last bit of data I had left. Now my data is crippled to 64k until the 9th Nov.

Thanks Joe.

Back to the dark ages

frontieruk

I'm all in for launch, ps4 doesn't have any exclusives that interest me yet, my PC will play all multiplats above next gen quality and I'm due a gfx card refresh so the xbone is my launch platform.

Any rumours that the 1020 will be getting a quadcore refresh?

hwalker84

I'm all in for launch, ps4 doesn't have any exclusives that interest me yet, my PC will play all multiplats above next gen quality and I'm due a gfx card refresh so the xbone is my launch platform.

Any rumours that the 1020 will be getting a quadcore refresh?
None yet but you know it's coming. My next dream phone would be a 1020 w/ Snapdragon 800, 2-3GB's of RAM, 5-5.3 inch 1080p screen. Thinner profile, lighter.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
None yet but you know it's coming. My next dream phone would be a 1020 w/ Snapdragon 800, 2-3GB's of RAM, 5-5.3 inch 1080p screen. Thinner profile, lighter.

That all sounds great to me, maybe substitute the 800 with whatever the next hotness in chips is. I'd prefer 5" to 5.3" as well. SD slot would be fab, especially with the RAW support.

My worry is, will the MS acquisition prevent the hardware group from pushing as hard on devices as they did while at Nokia? They had to work with Qualcomm on custom code and forced MS into expanding to allow 2gb of RAM before gdr3. I have the feeling MS will just slow them down, but I hope I'm wrong.

MCD

Viper got updated:
-Select new backgrounds from an all new Background Gallery

-Windows Phone 8 Live Tiles, which let you pin your favorite conversations to your Start screen and see them update in real time

-Improved push notifications ensure you never miss a message or call

-Refreshed look and feel, focused on improved readability and usability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom