• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

That all sounds great to me, maybe substitute the 800 with whatever the next hotness in chips is. I'd prefer 5" to 5.3" as well. SD slot would be fab, especially with the RAW support.

My worry is, will the MS acquisition prevent the hardware group from pushing as hard on devices as they did while at Nokia? They had to work with Qualcomm on custom code and forced MS into expanding to allow 2gb of RAM before gdr3. I have the feeling MS will just slow them down, but I hope I'm wrong.

Well I'd expect it to drop around the same time as the 1020 did. With Microsoft always behind on supporting the latest chipsets I'd expect it to have the Snapdragon 800 with us disappointed that it isn't using the latest Snapdragon chip that just debuted in a few other Android devices. While we're at it lets go with one of those snazzy 1440 x 2560 resolutions screens. I'd expect Windows Phone 8.1 to debut on this device.

Yoshiya

Another gem

well microsoft do mandate some pretty hefty "low-end" minimum specs. a dual-core krait isn't really a low end part at all, nor is a 800*480 display. nokia had no choice but to push otherwise midrange hardware as low as they could in price.

we don't know how WP would run on budget android hardware because no such device exists.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I have a question regarding Windows Phones, and instead of making a whole thread out of it, I thought I'd ask it here:
I'm considering a switch from Android to Windows Phone, since I'm kind of done with Samsung and HTC alike. The only viable option then is either moving to iPhone or Nokia Windows Phone (the 920 caught my eye).

Here's my question; is there any reason why I shouldn't make the switch? I use my phone for social media, calling, texting, sexting, browsing the web and I occasionally use Google Drive for making or reviewing notes. I use the calender function regularly to keep track of any appointments I have. I play games on it, but it's not a requirement, since I have a Vita as my main unit for portable gaming.

kharma45

I have a question regarding Windows Phones, and instead of making a whole thread out of it, I thought I'd ask it here:
I'm considering a switch from Android to Windows Phone, since I'm kind of done with Samsung and HTC alike. The only viable option then is either moving to iPhone or Nokia Windows Phone (the 920 caught my eye).

Here's my question; is there any reason why I shouldn't make the switch? I use my phone for social media, calling, texting, sexting, browsing the web and I occasionally use Google Drive for making or reviewing notes. I use the calender function regularly to keep track of any appointments I have. I play games on it, but it's not a requirement, since I have a Vita as my main unit for portable gaming.

920 is nice although I'd prefer the 1520 if you can stomach the size of it.

For social media WP8 is fine. Twitter is well catered for and the official FB works well enough apart from extremely poor notifications. Calling... well it's fine, texting is great as the WP keyboard is probably the best out there once it's learns how you type, IE10 is perfectly good for browsing. Now on Google Drive you'll come stuck there as there isn't an official app for it there are just third party ones like this http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/gdocs/d3493945-5727-e011-854c-00237de2db9e WP does have it's own note taking functionality with One Note.

Google Calender works as it should (so far as I can tell on my phone) and as for games, it pales in comparison to iOS and still lags quite far behind Android. It's not as barren as it was but WP is not the phone to grab if you are big into mobile games.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
920 is nice although I'd prefer the 1520 if you can stomach the size of it.

For social media WP8 is fine. Twitter is well catered for and the official FB works well enough apart from extremely poor notifications. Calling... well it's fine, texting is great as the WP keyboard is probably the best out there once it's learns how you type, IE10 is perfectly good for browsing. Now on Google Drive you'll come stuck there as there isn't an official app for it there are just third party ones like this http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/gdocs/d3493945-5727-e011-854c-00237de2db9e WP does have it's own note taking functionality with One Note.

Google Calender works as it should (so far as I can tell on my phone) and as for games, it pales in comparison to iOS and still lags quite far behind Android. It's not as barren as it was but WP is not the phone to grab if you are big into mobile games.

Thanks, GDocs seems to cover all the bases I need. Notifications on Android are already poor, so no change there. Facebook's mobile support seems lackluster overall, regardless of platform, but as long as I can read my newsfeed and post pictures I'm a happy camper.

Milchjon

NokiaQ3_Percent.JPG

Look at that growth slowing down.

NokiaQ3_Percent.JPG

Look at that growth slowing down.

It's a big improvement from the year before. I agree that the growth should be stronger but you have to say they come a long way and doing much better than RIM. Probably one of the reason why they sold their division to Microsoft, the growth are not sustainable at the rate they need to make profit.

hadareud

The Translator
Q4 should be interesting.

If they can have growth close to 30 % then the WP8.1 launch in Q1 could be a real accelerator, possibly. Not because of the arbitrary percentage I chose, but it would indicate that the platform is continuing to grow at good pace and that another feature and marketing push could have a really big impact.

Wonder at what point will Windows Phone finally have a decent percent of the Market Share and actually be as common as Android and Iphone devices. 2015 is my bet on when it gets 10% in the US.

I'm probingly being too optimistic.

flippedb

Banned
I'm seeing more and more Lumias around here everyday. The Lumia 620, like the one I bought, seems to be by far the most popular one. I've seen a couple 820 and one or two 920.

Now there's a carrier that's introducing the 520 to the market, so I expect to see even more Lumias, as the price difference between 520 and 620 is pretty big, you could almost buy two 520 for the price of a 620.

There's another carrier that will introduce the new high end devices.

Magni

I still have three months until I get back to the US, but I can't help but think about my next phone, especially as my now 3-year-old Omnia 7 has been slowly dying... does the T-Mo 925 work on AT&T? I hope to be able to return to T-Mo and not have to deal with AT&T if I can avoid it, but depending on where I end up living it might be hard to stick to my principles. There's no way to buy an unbranded US 925 that works on both carriers, right?

I hope the next phase of T-Mo's Uncarrier strategy is get rid of hardware/software carrier branding, but who am I kidding.

I'm seeing more and more Lumias around here everyday. The Lumia 620, like the one I bought, seems to be by far the most popular one. I've seen a couple 820 and one or two 920.

Now there's a carrier that's introducing the 520 to the market, so I expect to see even more Lumias, as the price difference between 520 and 620 is pretty big, you could almost buy two 520 for the price of a 620.

There's another carrier that will introduce the new high end devices.

Yeah pricing is everything. When I was still in France, the 520 was 179€ and the 620 199€, and I didn't see a single 520 in the wild. In Chile, I've seen a ton of 520s but not a single 620 (though I don't know if it's even available here).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I think if you're into social media stuff then you should like WP, I really love they way it handles contacts. You can pin people directly to the home screen and stuff like Facebook updates show up right on their tile.

NeOak

Thanks, GDocs seems to cover all the bases I need. Notifications on Android are already poor, so no change there. Facebook's mobile support seems lackluster overall, regardless of platform, but as long as I can read my newsfeed and post pictures I'm a happy camper.

Once you try Office and OneNote, you'll dump GDocs. You can use Sjydrive to synchronize and GDR3 finally has email attachments for office files.

I still have three months until I get back to the US, but I can't help but think about my next phone, especially as my now 3-year-old Omnia 7 has been slowly dying... does the T-Mo 925 work on AT&T? I hope to be able to return to T-Mo and not have to deal with AT&T if I can avoid it, but depending on where I end up living it might be hard to stick to my principles. There's no way to buy an unbranded US 925 that works on both carriers, right?

I hope the next phase of T-Mo's Uncarrier strategy is get rid of hardware/software carrier branding, but who am I kidding.

Yeah pricing is everything. When I was still in France, the 520 was 179€ and the 620 199€, and I didn't see a single 520 in the wild. In Chile, I've seen a ton of 520s but not a single 620 (though I don't know if it's even available here).

As long as it has 850/1900 Mhz, it will work with HSPA. What you won't get is LTE support.

If you want it unbranded, I think those are pentaband (850/900/1700/1800/1900) so it will work with both for 3G. LTE is messy though, since the US frequencies aren't really used elsewhere.

Edit: Nokia global lists the 925 as quadband (no 1700) so it means no 3G on T-Mob unless you live in one of the 1900 refarmed areas. And no LTE band 4, so no LTE in the US with either carrier.

ElNino

Guys, how "long" is your home screen? Mine is about 3 screens. Some apps I haven't even pinned, some have 3 or 4 tiles.
Mine fluctuates depending on what new apps I'm playing around with, but three screens is about what I have as well. Much more than that and I feel I lose the impact of the tiles.

ElNino

Just over 3.

I haven't pinned any apps starting with a number or A, because it's quicker to just swipe right.
That's why I haven't pinned the "6" apps (6tag, 6sec) since it is easier to just swipe right, that and I really don't use either service much.

Milchjon

Probably 2.5 to 3 screens. I'm using 4 wide tiles as well. Don't need everything pinned.

I have 3 wides. Calendar because I like it as a constant reminder. Mail because there is tons of useless stuff and I don't have to open it to check. And Xbox because I love the avatar's activity.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have 3 wides. Calendar because I like it as a constant reminder. Mail because there is tons of useless stuff and I don't have to open it to check. And Xbox because I love the avatar's activity.

I got Amazing Weather, myTube, TVShow and a family group as wide tiles.

Magni

As long as it has 850/1900 Mhz, it will work with HSPA. What you won't get is LTE support.

If you want it unbranded, I think those are pentaband (850/900/1700/1800/1900) so it will work with both for 3G. LTE is messy though, since the US frequencies aren't really used elsewhere.

Edit: Nokia global lists the 925 as quadband (no 1700) so it means no 3G on T-Mob unless you live in one of the 1900 refarmed areas. And no LTE band 4, so no LTE in the US with either carrier.

Ugh, I was hoping LTE would bring some world standards, but it's only gotten worse. With more and more people being world citizens here's hoping 5G is better in that regard.

Guys, how "long" is your home screen? Mine is about 3 screens. Some apps I haven't even pinned, some have 3 or 4 tiles.

Mines about 6 long which my most common sizes being small tiles which surround my medium tiles and then large tiles as screen dividers. I hardly ever pass the 3rd screen though. Everything past that is simply there to look nice or has a random function I might use eventually.

...Or they just have a nice looking tile

Karish

What is the best GPS app? Anything like Waze? Here+ Driving doesn't show me step by step directions all in a list, which is super frustrating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom