• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suerte

What's that finger pointing tile under "Where"? And what app are you using for those dividers?

Screw Grumpy McGrumpster aka brot, I like these screens to see what I'm missing.

The finger pointing icon is the 'I'm here' app - allows you to send friends your location via SMS, social channels, etc.

And the dividers were made in the HeaderTiles app - they're really useful, I hope we see an 'official' version in Windows Phone 8.1!

Both apps are free too. :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mine is three and a half, but a lot of it is filler around a theme; like music, news etc. My essential apps could fit in two.

Also, I could cut a half screen if I remove my double wide tiles, but I'm not doing that cause they look awesome and create visual separation between sections.

this_guy

My homescreen is about 2 screens long.

Now that Google is integrating Hangouts on android with sms, I wish the default messaging app on Windows phone could integrate with GTalk. That way I can catch conversations on my Nokia Lumia 920 or Nexus 7. Probably won't happen with the Microsoft/Google spat, but it'd be nice. I know there's messaging apps in the marketplace for Google Talk, but I just don't feel like using a third party app. Plus with messaging apps like Whatsapp having notification issues I don't know how reliable a third party app will be.

Milchjon

The finger pointing icon is the 'I'm here' app - allows you to send friends your location via SMS, social channels, etc.

And the dividers were made in the HeaderTiles app - they're really useful, I hope we see an 'official' version in Windows Phone 8.1!

Both apps are free too. :)

Thanks.

HeaderTiles is really neat. But after playing around with it for a bit, I think it's wasting too much space and also forcing me to categorize in ways that don't fit my priorities.

Mine is like two screens. Maybe one and half.

Y'all crazy.

Live tiles and the ability to pin quick access tiles are two of my favorite features in WP. Would be crazy not to use them.

hwalker84

What is the best GPS app? Anything like Waze? Here+ Driving doesn't show me step by step directions all in a list, which is super frustrating...

It also doesn't have the ability to see multiple routes and pick one you think is the best. I also hate that it doesn't give you a list and the last thing I hate is it doesn't tell you what the destination actually is. Doesn't say which side of the road nor final address.

Karish

Asking for new page. What is the best GPS app? Anything like Waze? Here+ Driving doesn't show me step by step directions all in a list, which is super frustrating...

Asking for new page. What is the best GPS app? Anything like Waze? Here+ Driving doesn't show me step by step directions all in a list, which is super frustrating...
If you mean like list of driving directions, I pin the old Bing map to my home screen. (Yes, I love pinning tiles). The app is hidden if you are on Lumia but you can get app off the store, it's call Maps. Or you can use Nokia Here Maps, but I prefer old Bing Map.

dLMN8R

Hang on a sec. I'm helping someone set up their gmail account on a Windows Phone. After the transition to IMAP in GDR2, is there really no way to set up Push? Just syncing every 15 minutes?

wtf??

Hang on a sec. I'm helping someone set up their gmail account on a Windows Phone. After the transition to IMAP in GDR2, is there really no way to set up Push? Just syncing every 15 minutes?

wtf??

unfortunately, Microsoft wants ... money ... in return for access to their proprietary Exchange ActiveSync technology. so Google only offers that on paid Google business accounts.

unfortunately, Microsoft wants ... money ... in return for access to their proprietary Exchange ActiveSync technology. so Google only offers that on paid Google business accounts.
Imagine that a company want compensation foe their tech. May be Google should remove all the shitty intrusive apps off their YouTube and Google search.

Fjolle

Even worse. They actually wanted licenses to Google (or Motorola)s technology in addition to the money, so Google is unable to sue them.

Milchjon

Looking at PS4's UI, it looks like a cheap Metro knockoff.

Are there any articles on just how influential Metro has been? You'd think people would give MS more credit for that.

Milchmann

Well, it doesn't work though.

I've a paid google apps account and it definitely doesn't.

You can set up your account as an Exchange account. Go to advanced setup and enter your complete email address under user name, "google" (without quotation marks) under domain and "m.google.com" (without quotation marks) under server.

hadareud

The Translator
You can set up your account as an Exchange account. Go to advanced setup and enter your complete email address under user name, "google" (without quotation marks) under domain and "m.google.com" (without quotation marks) under server.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

actual cash money paid? or just a free 'for business' account?

An actual paid account. I don't work for cowboys.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
One final question regarding the 920, how's the batterylife on the thing? My Galaxy S3 drains the battery in about 26 hours in standby.

hadareud

The Translator

It works, thanks.

Actually, I'll probably now just leave it on instead of checking manually for work emails. THANKS FOR NOTHING.

Milchjon

Anyone else a student that can't use their university's eduroam network?

What's the problem there? What do I need to vote for to get added so that Joe can ignore my cries for help?

And when's VPN supposed to be out again?

Does UC browser work better on wp8 and newer hardware? It runs really badly (and crashes) on my Lumia 800.

I will be upgrading soon and the shitty handling of tabs in IE is pushing me back towards Android.
UC is so much more functional that it could keep me from switching back.

Suerte

Thanks.

HeaderTiles is really neat. But after playing around with it for a bit, I think it's wasting too much space and also forcing me to categorize in ways that don't fit my priorities.

Live tiles and the ability to pin quick access tiles are two of my favorite features in WP. Would be crazy not to use them.

You can make small tiles which don't take up as much space (see the pictures of my home sceen)

I'm not sure how it's forcing you to categorize things either? You can type anything into these tiles to categorize apps in any way you want?

kharma45

Anyone else a student that can't use their university's eduroam network?

What's the problem there? What do I need to vote for to get added so that Joe can ignore my cries for help?

And when's VPN supposed to be out again?

We had our own system based on EAP TLS and I wasn't able to get on. You'd expect a Microsoft product to be able to access networks like that but whatever fucking genius did the WiFi on Windows Phone obviously thought not. Pity the enterprise pack thing isn't until next Q1 year, and even then they've said little about it. Will it just be an update or is it something only for those phones bought for enterprise use?

I really couldn't believe it when I found out WP7/8 didn't support it, ridiculous.

Milchjon

You can make small tiles which don't take up as much space (see the pictures of my home sceen)

I'm not sure how it's forcing you to categorize things either? You can type anything into these tiles to categorize apps in any way you want?

For instance, if I have 5 "productivity" apps on my start screen, of which I use one a ton and the others very little. I'd either have to put the category at the top where those other four tiles would do little more than get in my way, or at the bottom, where I'd always have to scroll if I want to use my "important" app. That's the case for most of my categories.

Of course I could categorize them differently, but I'm too lazy to come up with something right now ;-)

We had our own system based on EAP TLS and I wasn't able to get on. You'd expect a Microsoft product to be able to access networks like that but whatever fucking genius did the WiFi on Windows Phone obviously thought not. Pity the enterprise pack thing isn't until next Q1 year, and even then they've said little about it. Will it just be an update or is it something only for those phones bought for enterprise use?

I really couldn't believe it when I found out WP7/8 didn't support it, ridiculous.

I looked around for a bit, and EAP TLS seems to be the culprit.
I can't imagine them not including VPN and EAP TLS for everyone with that update. I'd be pretty pissed if they did.

I went to the D.C. High Heel Race last night. I didn't take any pictures, but I'd never seen more Windows Phones (Lumias, it seemed) in my life. I stayed in one spot the whole time and probably saw 4-5 Lumias taking photos/footage.

Of course, they could have been the ONLY people in the crowd with them. Maybe we attract each other subconsciously.

I went to the D.C. High Heel Race last night. I didn't take any pictures, but I'd never seen more Windows Phones (Lumias, it seemed) in my life. I stayed in one spot the whole time and probably saw 4-5 Lumias taking photos/footage.

Of course, they could have been the ONLY people in the crowd with them. Maybe we attract each other subconsciously.

I would assume moneyhats by Microsoft. Who would want to use shitty Windows Phone when they can use Androids.

On another note, MCD, looks like your prediction of Microsoft in desperate mode is coming true. They just purchased all rights to first Titanfall, exclusive to Microsoft platforms. (Got to say that before all the OMG, not exclusive it's on PC). Gaming side is sometimes entertaining. I think this is just the start, I feel that if they suffered enough blow from this launch, they will paid for even more games to come to Xbox One exclusively, just like they did early day of 360. My question is they seems to know exactly how they gained marketshare with 360 (and how Sony lost their), so why is it when it come to One they seems to forgot all that).

MCD

I expect more deals like Titanfall in the first 2 years or so due to two obvious reasons:

- MS consoles are always front loaded with exclusives in the first years till they shift their attention to the next big thing or fud

- They need them now more than ever because Xbox One is currently facing the same issue as PS3: not the console of choice for multiplatform games

Just my two cents. Hopefully they feel more heat and sign more deals even late in the lifetime of Xbox One.

- MS consoles are always front loaded with exclusives in the first years till they shift their attention to the next big thing or fud

I'm not a console guy, I bought my first own console back in 2005 and that was a used PS2 and I didn't follow the console stuff prior to that. What was their new focus 2 years after the they launched the first Xbox?

It's likely that no one in their focus group asked for EAP TLS or other VPN solutions.

Paganmoon

I would assume moneyhats by Microsoft. Who would want to use shitty Windows Phone when they can use Androids.

On another note, MCD, looks like your prediction of Microsoft in desperate mode is coming true. They just purchased all rights to first Titanfall, exclusive to Microsoft platforms. (Got to say that before all the OMG, not exclusive it's on PC). Gaming side is sometimes entertaining. I think this is just the start, I feel that if they suffered enough blow from this launch, they will paid for even more games to come to Xbox One exclusively, just like they did early day of 360. My question is they seems to know exactly how they gained marketshare with 360 (and how Sony lost their), so why is it when it come to One they seems to forgot all that).

OT yeah, but damn I hate these types of exclusives, they're not paying for development of a game to be put on their system, they're paying for the developers to actively not put it on the other one...

Money better spent on internal studios imo... Microsoft does have a few, but they seem to have forgotten..

MCD

I'm not a console guy, I bought my first own console back in 2005 and that was a used PS2 and I didn't follow the console stuff prior to that. What was their new focus 2 years after the they launched the first Xbox?

It's likely that no one in their focus group asked for EAP TLS or other VPN solutions.

Getting fucked by Intel and Nvidia lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom