• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Guys, lets all save Nokia from Microsoft.

Video: Save Nokia Pitch from Nokita – Aims to offer four times Microsoft’s bid.

This morning we saw a story about the potential value of Nokia with Android according to possibilities of it somehow getting 25% market share in the space of only three years.

The video below is a pitch from Nokita which is trying to save Nokia from being consumed by Microsoft. Nokita as we have learned is the Finnish word used in poker to raise a bet.

And so, these guys plan to offer more than 4 times what Microsoft is offering. They want to turn Nokia around with a Nokia dream team.

• Biggest event offline and online.
  • Great investment for the brand
  • New phones and other fun products
  • They are looking for accreddited investors who can chip in from 5 million to 5 billion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DbESx65M6OY

http://mynokiablog.com/2013/10/30/v...kita-aims-to-offer-four-times-microsofts-bid/

Sounds like Crackberry.

Milchjon

Agreed.

I think it's going to be fantastic for controlling all your media and stuff on the Xbox One.

But for gaming, I don't see it. Maybe if someone integrates some of its features into a regular game.

The problem is trying to use it as a key part of gameplay, which works for very few games. Using it for stuff like switching players in KI by handing your controller over to your friend, I can see it being a key component of actually making Xbone feel like a really different experience.

The reason I'm actually excited about next gen is not the games so far (Though NBA 2K14 looks neat). But the secondary stuff, like voice control, snap, and these Kinect features actually make me want it. A lot.

Edit: The most used application on my 360 in recent times (besides GTA V) is actually SkyDrive for viewing pics.

Does UC browser work better on wp8 and newer hardware? It runs really badly (and crashes) on my Lumia 800.

I will be upgrading soon and the shitty handling of tabs in IE is pushing me back towards Android.
UC is so much more functional that it could keep me from switching back.

Anyone?

Finally.

m07gcUG.png

ElNino

Something is absolutely wrecking the battery on my 1020. Any ideas? Facebook Beta? I'm losing almost 10% an hour.

Apps in the background
Weave
Drive
Bing News
TV Show
Mytube

LOL Lost 4% while typing this.
I have the bolded apps on for background use on my 1020 (along with weather, stocks and battery apps) and my usage typically sits below 4% an hour, so I don't necessarily think it is the apps working as they normally would. As posted already, my guess would either be a stuck GPS or radio.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Something is absolutely wrecking the battery on my 1020. Any ideas? Facebook Beta? I'm losing almost 10% an hour.

Apps in the background
Weave
Drive
Bing News
TV Show
Mytube

Same thing on my 1020, battery doesn't last a day. My main suspects are: Facebook beta, my carrier, Exchange sync, all the live tiles on my screen, and glance. And since I want all those things, I may never find out, cause I'm not removing any of them.

Paganmoon

Same thing on my 1020, battery doesn't last a day. My main suspects are: Facebook beta, my carrier, Exchange sync, all the live tiles on my screen, and glance. And since I want all those things, I may never find out, cause I'm not removing any of them.

My battery lasts 2 days. I use Spotify, got lots of live tiles, and use glance. Use 3G data, WiFi when at home.
I know I had tons of problems with battery not lasting even a day on my 920, but it got better when I stopped using the Facebook app. Mobile site for facebook works just fine imo.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like Kinect for controlling media and searching. It would be nice if in Forza 5 the head tracking actually works this time.

You know how I always complain that I never, ever got a notification from the Facebook app? I just checked the background tasks and Facebook is not listed there (neither blocked nor allowed). I obviously checked the settings within the app and I'm supposed to receive notifications via toasts and the tile.

Any ideas?

ElNino

My battery lasts 2 days. I use Spotify, got lots of live tiles, and use glance. Use 3G data, WiFi when at home.
I know I had tons of problems with battery not lasting even a day on my 920, but it got better when I stopped using the Facebook app. Mobile site for facebook works just fine imo.
I don't quite get two days normally, but I can easily get one full day. I have plenty of live tiles and background apps, three emails to sync (one push and two hourly), connect to Xbox Music, use Glance (Peek setting) and double tap to wake. A typical day for me is taking the phone off the charger at 6 AM and back on around Midnight with usually around 35%-40% battery remaining.

You know how I always complain that I never, ever got a notification from the Facebook app? I just checked the background tasks and Facebook is not listed there (neither blocked nor allowed). I obviously checked the settings within the app and I'm supposed to receive notifications via toasts and the tile.

Any ideas?
I don't believe Facebook works as a background app. As far as I know, it only has push notifications which are handled by the Facebook (MS?) notification server.

Milchjon

I don't quite get two days normally, but I can easily get one full day. I have plenty of live tiles and background apps, three emails to sync (one push and two hourly), connect to Xbox Music, use Glance (Peek setting) and double tap to wake. A typical day for me is taking the phone off the charger at 6 AM and back on around Midnight with usually around 35%-40% battery remaining.

The hell. Either the 1020 is a battery beast compared to the 920, you're not using your phone much, or I am doing something wrong.

I mean, my behavior is obviously taxing a phones battery(throttled data because my contract sucks, on the move a lot, surfing the net for hours, no WiFi), but according to my battery app, I almost never use less than 7% per hour and often approach 20%.

hwalker84

That's pretty much how I feel. I need Exchange but working in IT I get thousands of emails a day. This hasn't been an issue before so I don't suspect it. Its gotta be something else because it wasn't like this a few weeks ago.

Since I'm traveling I kinda need GPS but for now I've disabled it, WiFi, and Bluetooth. We'll see if that works. If been soft resetting daily since I've noticed and that hasn't helped at all.

ElNino

The hell. Either the 1020 is a battery beast compared to the 920, you're not using your phone much, or I am doing something wrong.

I mean, my behavior is obviously taxing a phones battery(throttled data because my contract sucks, on the move a lot, surfing the net for hours, no WiFi), but according to my battery app, I almost never use less than 7% per hour and often approach 20%.
My usage depends, I wouldn't say I don't use it much but it can vary from day to day. My <4% discharge rate is my average throughout the day, but looking at the battery app graph I typically hit >10% when using it a lot (like during my commute). Throughout the day though, I typically don't use the phone for any one task for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

hadareud

The Translator
It's odd, the battery life on my 1020 is better than it was on the 920.

Last charged it yesterday afternoon (22 hours ago) and it's on 68% now.

Paganmoon

I can say this much, had the 920, and now the 1020, using it in pretty much exact same way, and the battery is lasting much much longer on the 1020 than it ever did on the 920.

hwalker84

It's odd, the battery life on my 1020 is better than it was on the 920.

Last charged it yesterday afternoon (22 hours ago) and it's on 68% now.
That's how mine was a few weeks ago. I used to charge it around 6-7pm and leave it off a charger all day. Then one day I noticed after I took it off the charger around 10pm and went to sleep it was almost dead in the morning.

My 1020 used to have amazing battery life, but its been failing my lately. Goes down to like 60% after 3 hours of use.

I'm not too frustrated, because my old smart phones would be dead after that, but still a little upsetting. Understandable though, since I load like 1000s of web sites/GAF I'm those 3 hours, plus browse Twitter every 10 minutes.

Here's my one issue, why the fuck does the phone, especially the camera get so hot when uses for 5 minutes? When I use rando, touching the camera is like touching a stove, and the phone gets so hot I lose 1%/a minute.

Milchjon

Has anyone tried TapShoot yet?

It allows you to pair up two phones via NFC and use one as the lense, the other as the display so you can take remote pics. Kinda like those Sony lense attachments.

Since I don't have access to another WP device, I can't test it, but it sounds neat for some situations like group pics.

Oh the irony of trying to apply for a job at Microsoft. When you try and upload your CV via Chrome and the website tells me that my PDF has a malicious threat or virus / trojan. Now of course, if that's true, then Windows Defender isn't doing it's job. Then, for a second dose of irony, when you try and do it through IE11 desktop or metro, the page where you log in crashes and you get an error message. Way to go Microsoft.

Paganmoon

Oh the irony of trying to apply for a job at Microsoft when you try and upload your CV via Chrome and the website tells me that my PDF has a malicious threat or virus / trojan. Now of course, if that's true, then Windows Defender isn't doing it's job. Then, for a second dose of irony, when you try and do it through IE11 desktop or metro, the page where you log in crashes and you get an error message. Way to go Microsoft.

You do realize that's just a test to see if you're qualified to work at Microsoft right?

freshair

Apps in the background
Weave
Drive
Bing News
TV Show
Mytube

Probably drive. Make sure you exit out of the when you're done (back button, not Windows/Home).

And then block in background apps. It'll work when you re-launch it again, but if not in use, block it.

Hey, speaking of trying to work at Microsoft, do any of the MS people here happen to know someone in the legal department that I could ask a couple questions?

dLMN8R

*sends note to recruiters to throw away Kylehimself's application due to a lack of humor*

Kylehimself, that was a joke, calm down :)

Hey, speaking of trying to work at Microsoft, do any of the MS people here happen to know someone in the legal department that I could ask a couple questions?

I doubt anyone will be willing to talk with someone outside the company about a legal matter :p

But hey, sure, send me a PM and I can see what I can do.

Milchjon

Man, that Android stuff came out of nowhere.

I like some of the things they're introducing. I remember arguing with some GAFfers about how Google is way ahead on setting themselves up for a great future, and it seems they're really starting to leverage that information/data/search advantage.

The Nexus 5 seems kinda meh, though.

Edit:

@evleaks &#8207;@evleaks 53m
Nokia Lumia 525 "Glee" tipped to ship in yellow, white, and orange.

Fox Mulder

Uh, I don't know when was the last time you Nokia owners visited the Nokia collection section of your Lumias, but its pretty bananas in there. Tons of new games, free and cheap. A bunch of new productivity and lifestyle apps. Pretty insane.

that's the one thing that bothers me the most about WP. It's great that Nokia is paying for apps, but it's something that MS should be doing themselves for the entire OS ecosystem. I have an 8x, so I get fucked.

BF4 has a few cool Kinect features. Voice activates comma rose, head tracking, and leans around cover.

Curious if the head tracking and leaning works well. Head tracking, ala independent head movement from weapon? Leaning seems nice but from the videos I watched, it is not used that much except in very cautious defense-type situations.

Fox Mulder

Curious if the head tracking and leaning works well. Head tracking, ala independent head movement from weapon? Leaning seems nice but from the videos I watched, it is not used that much except in very cautious defense-type situations.

head tracking always seemed stupid to me unless you have a multiple screen setup. So I turn my head only to look out the corner of my eyes at the same screen?

KageMaru

It's not the browser I use often but I've never really had a problem with it crashing on my phone (928). I've been using it since your initial question without any issues.

The Surfcube 3D browser is also pretty good. At least that's the impression I got from using it.

edit:

that's the one thing that bothers me the most about WP. It's great that Nokia is paying for apps, but it's something that MS should be doing themselves for the entire OS ecosystem. I have an 8x, so I get fucked.

I've always been under the impression that both MS and Nokia are working to get apps on the platform. IIRC there was actually a comment at the Nokia event where they described it as both companies pick which apps to pursue.

I've always been under the impression that both MS and Nokia are working to get apps on the platform. IIRC there was actually a comment at the Nokia event where they described it as both companies pick which apps to pursue.

There's definitely something of a story behind some apps, though I don't know all of the details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom