• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked around for a bit, and EAP TLS seems to be the culprit.
I can't imagine them not including VPN and EAP TLS for everyone with that update. I'd be pretty pissed if they did.

I'd be surprised if they don't make the Business pack for everyone considering the popularity of BYOD lately.

Paganmoon

I'd be surprised if they don't make the Business pack for everyone considering the popularity of BYOD lately.

BYOD is the scourge of the IT departments, fuck I hate that... companies should just stop being cheap and buy proper devices for their employees.

Edit: Sorry OT again, but seriously BYOD makes my blood boil...

Nero3000

BYOD is the scourge of the IT departments, fuck I hate that... companies should just stop being cheap and buy proper devices for their employees.

Edit: Sorry OT again, but seriously BYOD makes my blood boil...

Companies exist to be cheap.

Still on XP here moving to 7 at the last possible minute (March).

My monitor was launched in 2000 (Eizo Flexscan L771).

EDIT2: NVM

MCD

Report: Windows Phone Update 3 enables powered-off charging for the HTC 8X

Assuming users have installed Windows Phone 8 Update 3 (build 10501), powering the device down and then plugging it in will result in the following behavior:

• HTC 8X vibrates as if it was powering up, but the screen stays black
• The HTC splash screen appears
• Then a battery icon
• The phone will not boot into the OS

NtSpB76.jpg

OT yeah, but damn I hate these types of exclusives, they're not paying for development of a game to be put on their system, they're paying for the developers to actively not put it on the other one...

Money better spent on internal studios imo... Microsoft does have a few, but they seem to have forgotten..
Actually according to Respawn Microsoft moneyhat help fund the studio and project.

I rather they do it this way than buy up studio and lock up games. At least many of these games will be on PC, the same can't be said for the like of Forza, Halo, Uncharted, GT and list go on and on.

MCD

Milchmann

Anyone else a student that can't use their university's eduroam network?

What's the problem there? What do I need to vote for to get added so that Joe can ignore my cries for help?

And when's VPN supposed to be out again?

Eduroam worked on my LG Optimus 7. I haven't used the network on the Lumia 520 yet, but I can try on Friday.

frontieruk

I like Spencer, interesting interview. Can't wait to see more of Quantam Break. Whatever the fallout from resolution gate, I think whatever console you get you will be able to play great games.

We are supposed to be gamers (I assume we all came to GAF for gaming side), Tetris is still one of the best video games ever produced it ran on a 160 × 144 pixel display in 4 tones of gray.I'm so tired of the SonyGAF just shitting up every x1 thread as revenge for suffering poor ports for the last 7 years.

Milchjon

Eduroam worked on my LG Optimus 7. I haven't used the network on the Lumia 520 yet, but I can try on Friday.

Worked fine at my old university. Talked to our WiFi guy, he said "ours is set up like 80% of them". So I guess I was just lucky before.

He's on WP too, so at least he's sympathetic to my struggles :)

Paganmoon

We are supposed to be gamers (I assume we all came to GAF for gaming side), Tetris is still one of the best video games ever produced it ran on a 160 × 144 pixel display in 4 tones of gray.I'm so tired of the SonyGAF just shitting up every x1 thread as revenge for suffering poor ports for the last 7 years.

Tetris wasn't played on as large a screen as we have nowdays though right? And gaming's changed, you can't compare CoD or BF to that gameplay with squares to something that's supposed to represent people, buildings and vehicles.

Resolution is very important to me, in particular since I game on a 117" projected screen, being labeled "SonyGAF" (in a derogatory manner) isn't much appreciated.

Tetris wasn't played on as large a screen as we have nowdays though right? And gaming's changed, you can't compare CoD or BF to that gameplay with squares to something that's supposed to represent people, buildings and vehicles.

Resolution is very important to me, in particular since I game on a 117" projected screen, being labeled "SonyGAF" (in a derogatory manner) isn't much appreciated.

Oh, please don't get high and mighty on us. You are not getting sympathy around here, we are Windows Phone peeps. We are used to being put down and being in last place.

Seriously though, GAF has always been pro-Sony, it's been this way since I start coming around here in 2007. I knew this and I don't have problem with it for the most parts. My issue really is how unfair everything get portrayed around here (and part of it is because even the most of the mods here are pretty much pro-Sony). What I am mostly annoy with is how non-Microsoft often get away with same shitty thing they do but Microsoft often get call out on it. Take LEGO Marvel or recent Batman game, the DLC and all lock up by Sony to be exclusive to PlayStation and yet not one person make a noise about it. Microsoft buy up some exclusive then it's suddenly some kind of horrible thing that never before been done. Sony fans can go around and sprout all kind of non-sense but if Pro-Microsoft do the same, they are having a melt down, shills or corporate ball sucker.

I find it hilarious that you take offense at SonyGAF, yet most of GAF proudly call Xbox One, the Xbone like some type of honor. I am not ashamed to be MicrosoftGAF (if there is such thing), but if you see my posts here you know I am not totally blind by the shenanigans that Microsoft pull.

kharma45

So this is limit to just HTC 8 devices? How odd, I would thought this kind of thing would be OS level but I guess it's firmware thing. It doesn't really annoy me except for a few times where I really do want to shut my phone off and at the same time want it to charge. I don't remember, but did Windows Phone 7 can be off and charge?

It couldn't.

Nokia_2660_Cell_Phone-235x300.jpg

Well as of 20 minutes ago, my 920 has been downgraded to a Nokia 2660 for 10 days until the phone comes back from repair. Guys, I miss Windows Phone already.

Paganmoon

I find it hilarious that you take offense at SonyGAF, yet most of GAF proudly call Xbox One an Xbone like some type of honor. I am not ashamed to be MicrosoftGAF (if there is such thing), but if you see my posts here you know I am not totally blind by the shenanigans that Microsoft pull.

I take offense at SonyGAF, cause I'm not singleminded Sony fanboy. Here's a small breakdown for you:
OS of choice = Windows (8.1)
Browser of choice = Internet Explorer
Smartphone of choice = Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 1020)
Tablet of choice = Undecided (Have an iPad, getting a surface in a weeks time)
Console of choice = PS3 (PS4)
Handheld of choice = PSVita

So when I'm talking about phones, or OS with colleagues and friends, I get called a Microsoft Fanboy, I talk consoles I get called a Sony Fanboy. It's annoying as hell to be honest...

But getting way OT here...

KageMaru

Awesome. Was thinking of buying this a few days ago but I'm happy I waited.

I take offense at SonyGAF, cause I'm not singleminded Sony fanboy. Here's a small breakdown for you:
OS of choice = Windows (8.1)
Browser of choice = Internet Explorer
Smartphone of choice = Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 1020)
Tablet of choice = Undecided (Have an iPad, getting a surface in a weeks time)
Console of choice = PS3 (PS4)
Handheld of choice = PSVita

So when I'm talking about phones, or OS with colleagues and friends, I get called a Microsoft Fanboy, I talk consoles I get called a Sony Fanboy. It's annoying as hell to be honest...

But getting way OT here...

I think you're mistaking having preferences for being a fanboy. I own both current gen systems but preferred the 360. Next gen, it looks like the ps4 will be my system of choice even though I plan to own the xbone as well.

Everyone has preferences, but what goes on with many people at the gaming side is entirely different. There's no denying that having any kind of MS/Xbone that's remotely positive is almost impossible here.

Do you troll xbone threads simply because you're not interested in the platform? If not, then I wouldn't consider you part of sonygaf.

Really it's all silly, and that's putting it nicely. We're all gamers there, or at least we should be, but instead it sometimes seems like a bunch of kids desperately trying to justify their choice console to themselves and everyone else. Having the kind of loyalty I see some of those people have is puzzling to me when none of these companies give a shit about us.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Uh, I don't know when was the last time you Nokia owners visited the Nokia collection section of your Lumias, but its pretty bananas in there. Tons of new games, free and cheap. A bunch of new productivity and lifestyle apps. Pretty insane.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, I don't know when was the last time you Nokia owners visited the Nokia collection section of your Lumias, but its pretty bananas in there. Tons of new games, free and cheap. A bunch of new productivity and lifestyle apps. Pretty insane.

Better not mention the Michelin Traveler app, lol.

Paganmoon

Nice, thanks for the tip.

Awesome. Was thinking of buying this a few days ago but I'm happy I waited.

I think you're mistaking having preferences for being a fanboy. I own both current gen systems but preferred the 360. Next gen, it looks like the ps4 will be my system of choice even though I plan to own the xbone as well.

Everyone has preferences, but what goes on with many people at the gaming side is entirely different. There's no denying that having any kind of MS/Xbone that's remotely positive is almost impossible here.

Do you troll xbone threads simply because you're not interested in the platform? If not, then I wouldn't consider you part of sonygaf.

Really it's all silly, and that's putting it nicely. We're all gamers there, or at least we should be, but instead it sometimes seems like a bunch of kids desperately trying to justify their choice console to themselves and everyone else. Having the kind of loyalty I see some of those people have is puzzling to me when none of these companies give a shit about us.

Now that's something I can agree with.

Guys, lets all save Nokia from Microsoft.

Video: Save Nokia Pitch from Nokita – Aims to offer four times Microsoft’s bid.

This morning we saw a story about the potential value of Nokia with Android according to possibilities of it somehow getting 25% market share in the space of only three years.

The video below is a pitch from Nokita which is trying to save Nokia from being consumed by Microsoft. Nokita as we have learned is the Finnish word used in poker to raise a bet.

And so, these guys plan to offer more than 4 times what Microsoft is offering. They want to turn Nokia around with a Nokia dream team.

• Biggest event offline and online.
  • Great investment for the brand
  • New phones and other fun products
  • They are looking for accreddited investors who can chip in from 5 million to 5 billion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DbESx65M6OY

http://mynokiablog.com/2013/10/30/v...kita-aims-to-offer-four-times-microsofts-bid/

Milchjon

Time to take out a mortgage.

"This being based on instantly taking 15% share of Android within a year and 25% in three years."

Paganmoon

Because Nokia should not be in some dirty evil American corporate hands.

Well, I'm, yeah ok I don't know if your serious or not, so I'll just leave it at that...

So the Lumia 1020, anyone else have problems that it's too damned slippery on the screen side? I put it on my desk, face down, and I can leave the desk and it magically moves, and sometimes falls off the desk. Slippery as hell it seems.

hadareud

The Translator
Because Nokia should not be in some dirty evil American corporate hands.

Exactly.

So the Lumia 1020, anyone else have problems that it's too damned slippery on the screen side? I put it on my desk, face down, and I can leave the desk and it magically moves, and sometimes falls off the desk. Slippery as hell it seems.

I wouldn't put it on a desk screen-side down.

What happens depending on the surface is that there's going to be an air-cushion between the desk and the phone and it can start moving by itself. In effect the phone never actually touches the surface of your desk.

hwalker84

Something is absolutely wrecking the battery on my 1020. Any ideas? Facebook Beta? I'm losing almost 10% an hour.

Apps in the background
Weave
Drive
Bing News
TV Show
Mytube

LOL Lost 4% while typing this.

hadareud

The Translator
Something is absolutely wrecking the battery on my 1020. Any ideas? Facebook Beta? I'm losing almost 10% an hour.

Apps in the background
Weave
Drive
Bing News
TV Show
Mytube

LOL Lost 4% while typing this.

Switch it off for a few minutes and then restart to see if it's still draining.

With that amount of drain the most likely thing is the GPS chip.

Kinect is great, but it's not for gaming.

Agreed.

I think it's going to be fantastic for controlling all your media and stuff on the Xbox One.

But for gaming, I don't see it. Maybe if someone integrates some of its features into a regular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom