• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pack it up VanMardigan, its time to give up http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707293

I'm not posting over there. For two reasons:

1. The Apple fanboys ACTUALLY, TRULY believe that the iPhone takes better pictures than the 1020. How much of a reality distortion field do you have to operate in where you can ignore the 50 or so blogs and subsequent neogaf threads that have pointed out the exact opposite results, then casually pop into that thread and go "yep, makes sense, Apple is just THAT GOOD". To believe that Apple can overcome a massive sensor size, low light, and megapixel deficit through magic? You simply cannot make a cogent enough argument to overcome that strong a cognitive dissonance.

2. I would be agreeing with zomgbbqsony. And I'm not emotionally prepared to do that just yet.

2. I would be agreeing with zomgbbqsony. And I'm not emotionally prepared to do that just yet.

I chortled. After this, I just don't know what to say if this were anywhere near the truth:

FWIW, the same stuff just went down between the smartphones division and the camera division. The camera processing in th Z1 was essentially held back to protect the camera division. In the end the Xperia division won the battle and a new processing engine is being coded. Hopefully common sense will prevail here as well. Kaz seems to have a handle on things from what I have heard.

Milchjon

Rudy seems to have spent/will spend (? Twitter and Rudy's English make for an indecipherable mix) in Redmond.

Also says 6snap will be done in less than 2 weeks.

zedge

So many dislikes because they said it still lagged and had that Android phones had a mediocre camera :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWD6O53F6yc

There was a bit of hyperbole there, don't blame them. Like you guys don't get upset with every word the verge says.

Anyway, 16GB N5 ordered!

Almost bought a Nexus 5 but price was too high on the 32GB and it's just... meh.

eh... price too high? It has better specs than an S4 which costs $700. I get that android is not your thing but cmon on the price.

kharma45

eh... price too high? It has better specs than an S4 which costs $700. I get that android is not your thing but cmon on the price.

Relative to the Nexus 4 it's too high. Instead of the 16GB replacing where the 8GB was in price terms they've just kept it the same and added another one on top.

As for the price against the S4, there is only £40 of difference between the two here SIM free, it's not undercutting it by much at all.

zedge

Relative to the Nexus 4 it's too high. Instead of the 16GB replacing where the 8GB was in price terms they've just kept it the same and added another one on top.

As for the price against the S4, there is only £40 of difference between the two here SIM free, it's not undercutting it by much at all.

What are the prices of both phones there? Unlocked.

Here is a huge difference, which is why I was puzzled.

$350 vs $700

Although even 40 pounds diff I would get an N5 over and S4 any day.

kharma45

What are the prices of both phones there? Unlocked.

Here is a huge difference, which is why I was puzzled.

$350 vs $700

Although even 40 pounds diff I would get an N5 over and S4 any day.

Yep that's the price for both devices unlocked here. £350 for an unlocked N5 vs £390 for an unlocked S4.

I would take it if given the choice too between a N5 and a S4 but it's not the same bargain that the Nexus 4 was. I wouldn't be as cold towards it if they'd kept the pricing tiers similar to the N4 with a bit of an increase, so the lower capacity one could've been £259 and the higher £299 rather than the prices we have now.

zedge

Yep that's the price for both devices unlocked here. £350 for an unlocked N5 vs £390 for an unlocked S4.

I would take it if given the choice too between a N5 and a S4 but it's not the same bargain that the Nexus 4 was. I wouldn't be as cold towards it if they'd kept the pricing tiers similar to the N4 with a bit of an increase, so the lower capacity one could've been £259 and the higher £299 rather than the prices we have now.

Ah understood. Its a crazy deal on this side of the pond. :D

Bullza2o

Anybody experiencing random reboots? Lumia 920, GDR3 here. I've only had those reboots 2 times since launch, but after updating to GDR3 it reboots quite frequently.

How do I know? I always have my volume at 16, and multiple times per day I see it go to 13 (default it seems) and I have to put it back to 16.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Reboots and lockups are a real issue on the lumias. I won't generalize to every phone, but my wife's and brother in law's 920s both lock up way too frequently. I was hoping gdr2 would fix it, but I witnessed my wife's phone lock up just a few days ago. My 1020 has been stable as far as I can tell, although I will keep my eye out for restarts when I'm not looking. She is not happy and is considering moving away from lumias next year if Nokia can't get a handle on this by update 3.

In other news, another boring ass update from Google. *yawn*. Still trying to get me to use google plus, screw those guys. I hope MS brings it with Blue, cause Apple and Google aren't doing anything to lure me. To be fair, those OS's are already more mature and feature rich than WP, so MS has more room to grow anyway. Lets see if they take advantage.

this_guy

My Lumia 920 battery life has been much improved after doing a factory reset. Now I can get through the day with no issues. (It also fixed my MMS issue) But doing a factory reset takes forever and its best if you have a back up phone. Luckily I picked up an HTC 8X for cheap on craigslist so I had a working phone. I like the 8X - feels great in the hand and the internal amplifier on Beats branded HTC phones do make a difference. The Lumia 920's camera in low light is much better though, although in good light they're pretty comparable.

I just ordered a Nexus 5 today (yaay to working Facebook notifications) so I'll be selling my Lumia 920. I'm going to keep the 8X as a backup phone and it'll get more use as a music player. I liked the Nokia though and will keep an eye out for the 920's successor (the 925 is too similar). Hopefully battery life will improve (most days I have no issue getting through the day, but web browsing does drain the battery quicker than I would like) and the camera will be upgraded to the camera used in the Lumia 1520.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You sold the Lumia and kept the 8x? Not what I would've done, that's for sure. I'm considering selling my One X and some other junk to pick up a N5 too, but obviously the N5 would be my backup phone/plaything. Not sure if I'll do that yet though, very tempting given the hardware.

this_guy

You sold the Lumia and kept the 8x? Not what I would've done, that's for sure. I'm considering selling my One X and some other junk to pick up a N5 too, but obviously the N5 would be my backup phone/plaything. Not sure if I'll do that yet though, very tempting given the hardware.

Haven't sold it yet, but I can get more for the Lumia 920. I plan on using the Nexus 5 as my main device, so the 8x as a back up device is fine, and I prefer it as a music player over the Lumia 920. But my experience with the Nokia (most notably the build quality and camera, the exclusive apps are meh) makes me very interested in their next flagship. I don't really care for the size of the 1520.

my mom called me because she thought not letting people search using bing was part of the daily image. Her company uses ie9, and I think it just wouldn't let her search for anything because [I-dunno]. I taught her in the invaluable ctrl+e trick and let her be on her merry way.

Totakeke

Guess I'm screwed, was updating my AT&T HTC 8x to GDR3, had a blue screen saying watchdog violation error in the middle and now my phone keeps looping around the start screens without going into Windows Phone.

Anyone have any ideas how to recover from this?

Guess I'm screwed, was updating my AT&T HTC 8x to GDR3, had a blue screen saying watchdog violation error in the middle and now my phone keeps looping around the start screens without going into Windows Phone.

Anyone have any ideas how to recover from this?

Take it to the store

Totakeke

Take it to the store

Just did, HTC told me they won't fix any non-local sets. Guess I'm screwed that way too (suppose that's a sign to not buy phones from them anymore). Time to run around looking for a microsim to sim adaptor and hope my Omnia 7 still works I guess.

Milchjon

Do you guys think proposing to a random girl on a full commuter train would be weird?

Because there's one rocking a cyan 920 in here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just did, HTC told me they won't fix any non-local sets. Guess I'm screwed that way too (suppose that's a sign to not buy phones from them anymore). Time to run around looking for a microsim to sim adaptor and hope my Omnia 7 still works I guess.

Call HTC America then. They've been helpful in the past for me.

maeh2k

I'd really like to see a scientific study of various voice recognition solutions in multiple languages. Google apparently improved their voice recognition again: http://allthingsd.com/20131031/google-claims-great-leaps-forward-in-voice-search/

"Last year Google added a machine-learning technique called deep neural networks to its voice search. The speech recognition error rate decreased by 20 percent.Since then, Google’s voice team has kept tweaking the service, resulting in another 25 percent increase in speech recognition accuracy."

That sounds great, but it doesn't tell you anything about how well it actually works and how it compares to TellMe and Nuance's tech.

Personally, I don't have much experience with any of the services, but from what I see and hear it always sounds like Google >= Nuance >> TellMe. No idea if TellMe is actually competitive or not.

hadareud

The Translator
3cX4lK2.jpg

46mmuKK.jpg

Progress.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Personally, I don't have much experience with any of the services, but from what I see and hear it always sounds like Google >= Nuance >> TellMe. No idea if TellMe is actually competitive or not.

I have no idea who Nuance is, but Google's voice recognition is absolutely fantastic. It's ridiculously accurate and insanely fast.*

TellMe got a lot better with that big update they did a short while back, making it faster and more accurate as well. But Cortana really needs to bring it to compete with Google.*

I have very little experience with Siri but was not impressed.

*In English, no idea about any other language. I speak Spanish but all my phone interactions are in English.

maeh2k

I have no idea who Nuance is, but Google's voice recognition is absolutely fantastic. It's ridiculously accurate and insanely fast.*

TellMe got a lot better with that big update they did a short while back, making it faster and more accurate as well. But Cortana really needs to bring it to compete with Google.*

Nuance does the voice recognition for Siri. They've been a big player in voice recognition for a long time. They mostly did Dragon Naturally Speaking on the PC.

I doubt Microsoft is going to bring it. At this point I don't think they can match Google at anything. Good thing almost no one really uses voice input for now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I doubt Microsoft is going to bring it. At this point I don't think they can match Google at anything. Good thing almost no one really uses voice input for now.

I think cortana will be interesting. We will see, but its not impossible, they just need to make it a wash, and they're not that far off right now.

MS surpasses Google in productivity software, desktop operating systems, design, online file storage, social media integration, and hardware. That's just off the top of my head. Weird comment.

hadareud

The Translator
It is definitely progress.

It's odd that it's taken that long for Nokia to gain some traction, because in most of Europe it's been a pretty steady growth.

They need to show similar sort of progress in Q4 if they are to be taken seriously in the US, though.

I have to say, I really like all the little improvements that KitKat brings, especially the smart dailer. It really seems like such an obvious thing to do and yet neither Apple nor Microsoft did it. Heck, the Windows Phone dailer is dumb as hell, even compared to the current iOS and Android version. The design got better as well. Great improvements, really.

That said, I'm fucking done with Google for now. They introduce a new version of their mobile OS, with new optimizations on the memory front, to make it run better on 512 MB RAM devices in general (most likely to counter Windows Phone) and then they don't even fucking support their own device they sold last year. "Sry guyz, no Galaxy Nexus support anymore, because no one else supports their devices for moar than 18 months, lulz".

Fucking hell.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have to say, I really like all the little improvements that KitKat brings, especially the smart dailer. It really seems like such an obvious thing to do and yet neither Apple nor Microsoft did it. Heck, the Windows Phone dailer is dumb as hell, even compared to the current iOS and Android version. The design got better as well. Great improvements, really.

LOVE the new smart dialer in Kit Kat. Everything else was "meh" to me, but the dialer.....I want MS to copy that idea wholesale.

Any idea why I should ever be getting nasty battery drains on my 920? It definitely had more than 70% battery in the morning. Then 3 hours of standby later, its off and feels 2 pounds lighter. When I went to charge it, it was at 0%. I just did some light browsing.

Any idea why I should ever be getting nasty battery drains on my 920? It definitely had more than 70% battery in the morning. Then 3 hours of standby later, its off and feels 2 pounds lighter. When I went to charge it, it was at 0%. I just did some light browsing.

Some background task got stuck, my problems are usually Facebook beta app and occasionally Nokia Here Drive. I finally removed the FB beta and make sure I closed Drive after I used it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Even with the issues I have had with my 920, crazy battery drain I don't think has been one of them. I have 5 background tasks going as well.

this_guy

I had this for a while too, but unfortunately Windows Phone doesn't tell you which apps are causing this. I did a factory reset because I had issues with mms, and after the factory reset my battery problems went away. I even restored apps and settings too and don't have battery issues.

That said, I'm fucking done with Google for now. They introduce a new version of their mobile OS, with new optimizations on the memory front, to make it run better on 512 MB RAM devices in general (most likely to counter Windows Phone) and then they don't even fucking support their own device they sold last year. "Sry guyz, no Galaxy Nexus support anymore, because no one else supports their devices for moar than 18 months, lulz".

Fucking hell.
At least they release the source. Think of all the Omnia 7 owners...

What's wrong with WP IE tab?
Standard IE?
Just about everything but mainly:
- No quick switch between tabs
- No open tab in background
- No quick close tab
- Max of 6 tabs with first tab auto closing when a 7th opened rather than being asked what to do

I use IE for 99% of my non-call and text stuff so it is the single most important application for me.

It's not the browser I use often but I've never really had a problem with it crashing on my phone (928). I've been using it since your initial question without any issues.

The Surfcube 3D browser is also pretty good. At least that's the impression I got from using it.

edit:

I've always been under the impression that both MS and Nokia are working to get apps on the platform. IIRC there was actually a comment at the Nokia event where they described it as both companies pick which apps to pursue.

Thanks. Careful consideration required it seems.

joshschw

So I was thinking of signing up for the Mint beta. I assume it is very secure, etc.

It is secure enough because banks and credit cards often have additional security on top of your username and password anyway... so even in the unlikely scenario that mint compromises everything you still have additional security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom