• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

I think cortana will be interesting. We will see, but its not impossible, they just need to make it a wash, and they're not that far off right now.

MS surpasses Google in productivity software, desktop operating systems, design, online file storage, social media integration, and hardware. That's just off the top of my head. Weird comment.

Sure, Cortana might be interesting, but Microsoft is just too slow. Sure they'll release something with Windows Phone 8.1 in the US, but it'll take forever till it's available broadly and till they integrate it into Windows as well.
And as interesting as Cortana is, it's probably independent of their voice recognition technology (unless it's personalized and learns from the specific user). They can already change the TellMe service without an update to the OS and they've done so not long ago.

Of course Microsoft is still big with Window, Office, and Enterprise, and they have lots of great products, but while Google will keep gnawing away at them in all fields they are operating in, I don't really see Microsoft outdoing Google in any area Google's successful in. If both entered a new segment at the same time, I wouldn't bet on Microsoft. Google has the better brand, more mindshare, attracts better talent, and has an unstoppable business model.

Microsoft Research has probably worked on voice recognition for decades. Google swoops in and now they are better at it. Lots of companies such as Navteq have done maps, Google swooped in, and they are now better at it. Google has won mobile and Google might soon be winning wearables. Google Now may become huge and it lends itself very well to Google Glass and Google's smart watch, and there's basically no way MS can match that.
I think Skype might be on the way out too. Skype may have the users (for now), but people don't actually seem to use it that much. They aren't running Skype on their phones, but WhatsApp. Google can swoop in with Hangouts and kill it without spending 8.5 Billions. Integrating Hangouts into Android is a big deal. While Microsoft tries to fix the mess that is Skype and tries to tie it to Lync, Google will just improve Hangouts and add features. I have more faith in Google improving Hangouts than I do in MS improving Skype.
They've even had some success attacking Office. Google Docs is huge among students and in lots of other places, whereas people are relatively unaware of Office Web Apps.
And since Google keeps giving away their software and selling their devices nearly at cost, they are only going to have more success.

freshair

That said, I'm fucking done with Google for now. They introduce a new version of their mobile OS, with new optimizations on the memory front, to make it run better on 512 MB RAM devices in general (most likely to counter Windows Phone) and then they don't even fucking support their own device they sold last year. "Sry guyz, no Galaxy Nexus support anymore, because no one else supports their devices for moar than 18 months, lulz".

Fucking hell.

I thought it had less to do with the 18 months thing and more to do with the fact that the GN uses a TI OMAP, which is now defunct and thus no support for existing/future drivers.
shrug.gif

I thought it had less to do with the 18 months thing and more to do with the fact that the GN uses a TI OMAP, which is now defunct and thus no support for existing/future drivers.
shrug.gif

And yet we'll see ROMs for it. Just like it was bullshit that none of the OG WPs didn't get Windows Phone 8, while the HTC HD2, a WM 6.5 phone, got a ROM for it. They definitely could've done it if they wanted to, but chose not to.

One step after another, Google has created a pretty modular OS. Meanwhile WP remains this static thing that's frozen until its next release. Even iOS is more modular than WP.

Though that's mainly because the Bing button gets activated if you so much as look at your phone the wrong way.

Hardware buttons are a truly great thing. It's a shame people get too lazy and weak to press a physical button.

On other news!

While Xbox One supports audio CD playback, it does not support CD ripping, a spokesperson said, a feature of the Xbox 360. It also doesn't support MP3 or AAC playback from devices like the iPod, iPhone, Zune or Windows Phone over USB. A statement notes that Xbox Music, which carries a $9.99 monthly subscription, will deliver "unlimited ad-free music through a Xbox Music Pass subscription" on Xbox One.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Shouldn't this be more about having less features than the predecessor while touting that shitty music music service?

Xbox music pass is awesome*. However, the statement doesn't mention the fact that you need xbl Gold on top of music pass, which is beyond lame.

*here in the US

Totakeke

Finally managed to do the hard reset on my 8x... (my Omnia 7 was dead :/). Booted straight into GDR3, cool I guess. I almost went out and bought a 1020, but more important purchases to be had in this period :p.

There's a big driving force behind Google modularizing Android, they want to stop/close the open-source as much as possible and stop people from forking Android by including as little as possible into the AOSP.

Finally managed to do the hard reset on my 8x... (my Omnia 7 was dead :/). Booted straight into GDR3, cool I guess. I almost went out and bought a 1020, but more important purchases to be had in this period :p.

There's a big driving force behind Google modularizing Android, they want to stop/close the open-source as much as possible and stop people from forking Android by including as little as possible into the AOSP.

While also bypassing any need for carrier testing and delays. Heck, even Motorola is going to update the Moto X camera app through the Play Store.

Totakeke

Yeah for consumers it's mostly a win-win. For Microsoft there just isn't as big of an incentive though they always needed their asses to be kicked more often.

J. Bravo

Question about the camera on the 920.....I took some pictures tonight, but they turned out red. why is that? or had a red tint or w/e.

maeh2k

Question about the camera on the 920.....I took some pictures tonight, but they turned out red. why is that? or had a red tint or w/e.

Do you have everything in the photo options set to automatic (esp. white balance)? If the color turns out wrong you can also adjust the white balance yourself till it fits.

Yeah for consumers it's mostly a win-win. For Microsoft there just isn't as big of an incentive though they always needed their asses to be kicked more often.
Well the sooner they figured out how to move away from licensing model for OS the better, otherwise we will always going to get everything tied to OS version. It's not that they are not capable, it's that they don't want to. The some reason they tie all their IE to OS release.

Nokia is already doing the separate camera software. Too bad when they get gobble up, they will just be another Microsoft division, churning out products at glacial pace.

J. Bravo

Do you have everything in the photo options set to automatic (esp. white balance)? If the color turns out wrong you can also adjust the white balance yourself till it fits.

Yeah. I think it was because we had light behind us and the flash probably shouldn't have gone off.

maeh2k

wait up! MS voice command is called cortana? is this shit for real? that sounds dumb as fuck.

The current tech is called TellMe. Cortana is the code name of a project they are working on that is supposed to compete with Siri/Google Now. No one knows what they are actually going to call it. Will reportedly launch with Windows Phone 8.1 (spring) in the US.

Piper Az

Hey folks, my 920 has been acting up since yesterday. It kicks me out to home page when I try email or text app, and all these apps also are not syncing right. I tried to reboot the phone a few times. Any ideas?

KageMaru

Cortana would be awesome, I hope they keep the name!

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with cortana. It's certainly no worse than siri imo.

I think it would be great if I talked into my phone and Jen Taylor's beautiful voice answered me back. =P

PG2G

I do wonder when most, if not all of the apps will be decoupled from the OS. I'm betting on 8.2.

I'm betting that 8.1 will ship with decoupled Xbox Music and Xbox Video (already being decoupled) that more closely resembles the Windows 8.1 versions. Hopefully Mail as well.

If the development environments are moving closer and closer together it makes sense to at least move the modern apps to a more reusable code base (so non-IE). I'd imagine most of the native WP apps aren't written in anything resembling WinRT since it didn't exist back then.

MCD

Sure, Cortana might be interesting, but Microsoft is just too slow. Sure they'll release something with Windows Phone 8.1 in the US, but it'll take forever till it's available broadly and till they integrate it into Windows as well.
And as interesting as Cortana is, it's probably independent of their voice recognition technology (unless it's personalized and learns from the specific user). They can already change the TellMe service without an update to the OS and they've done so not long ago.

Of course Microsoft is still big with Window, Office, and Enterprise, and they have lots of great products, but while Google will keep gnawing away at them in all fields they are operating in, I don't really see Microsoft outdoing Google in any area Google's successful in. If both entered a new segment at the same time, I wouldn't bet on Microsoft. Google has the better brand, more mindshare, attracts better talent, and has an unstoppable business model.

Microsoft Research has probably worked on voice recognition for decades. Google swoops in and now they are better at it. Lots of companies such as Navteq have done maps, Google swooped in, and they are now better at it. Google has won mobile and Google might soon be winning wearables. Google Now may become huge and it lends itself very well to Google Glass and Google's smart watch, and there's basically no way MS can match that.
I think Skype might be on the way out too. Skype may have the users (for now), but people don't actually seem to use it that much. They aren't running Skype on their phones, but WhatsApp. Google can swoop in with Hangouts and kill it without spending 8.5 Billions. Integrating Hangouts into Android is a big deal. While Microsoft tries to fix the mess that is Skype and tries to tie it to Lync, Google will just improve Hangouts and add features. I have more faith in Google improving Hangouts than I do in MS improving Skype.
They've even had some success attacking Office. Google Docs is huge among students and in lots of other places, whereas people are relatively unaware of Office Web Apps.
And since Google keeps giving away their software and selling their devices nearly at cost, they are only going to have more success.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/02/dear-google-whats-wrong/

Exokell

Banned
I don't wanna cringe eveytime I hear cortana in a ms commercial, Like how I cringe when they use halo to sell windows tablets. Anyway Google now is a horrible name too

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Htc 8x (att) upgraded to gdr3 last night no issues.

Not too overwhelmed by the new features but appreciate it nonetheless

Is it HTC or AT&T or MS? Who gets the kudos here on how quickly the 8X updates have come to the phone?

edit:

uh oh, someone needs to update their app, lol

pic_adt2_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom