• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Hmm, I've been waiting to buy a new phone until the 920 gets released here in Ireland... but YouTube is my most used app. Hurm.

MetroTube is a more than capable replacement however when Google change stuff on the YouTube back end it can affect the app at times and take a day or two to solve.

MetroTube is a more than capable replacement however when Google change stuff on the YouTube back end it can affect the app at times and take a day or two to solve.
:-/ Long enough if I'm paying €500+ for the device.

Shall relook at Android phones. Just like how the 920 & 8X looks.

PG2G

Just about to post that. Curious to see what they come up with.

Yeah. And I know that it says similar internal specs to the 920, but that sounds pretty stupid to me IMO. Unless they are releasing it as a replacement for the 820. I guess if it is coming very soon then it could also be the potential Verizon variant.

this_guy

I use the browser version 99% of time, but you really haven't explained why its ok that you need the other two platforms for a better app experience.

No one asked why it's ok for the other two platforms to have a better Youtube experience. I'll give it a shot any ways - the other two platforms have a bigger app selection, including Youtube apps. That's just the way it is right now. If you want a Windows 8 phone this is something you have to live with right now.

derFeef

Capable replacement? It blows everything MS and Google does for that platform out of the water.

exFAT can be used by anyone that licenses it, and its part of the SDXC standard. And you don't even need exFAT for using a a 128GB SDXC, just format it with FAT32.

Can you license Youtube? No.
Can you get a better API with a license? No.

Everyone who wants to can license exFAT. Try licensing youtube for Windows Phone (no that I'd argue for paying for the compatibility of a website).

wait, so a license isn't "deliberately and artificially limited" because that sounds exactly like a deliberate and artificial limit to me.

youtube.com works on Windows phone.

If if would be vice-versa MS would have to pay MILLIONS due to EU regulations.

well, due to Microsoft's past dealings, they don't get to do some things others get away with...

Last time took 2 weeks to solve, iirc.

Anyway, the mobile site is all I use on every platform.

hwalker84

Capable replacement? It blows everything MS and Google does for that platform out of the water.

I was just about to post this. It takes a crap on any YouTube app on any platform. The only issue being when Google changes something which happens once a quarter or so. The app stops functioning until the developer fixes it. usually takes 3 days or so.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No one asked why it's ok for the other two platforms to have a better Youtube experience. I'll give it a shot any ways - the other two platforms have a bigger app selection, including Youtube apps. That's just the way it is right now. If you want a Windows 8 phone this is something you have to live with right now.

That makes no sense. There are great YouTube apps already, the discussion is about Google artificially preventing MS from doing a YouTube app for the platform, in the same way they developed a Facebook app. Saying that its just a byproduct of app selection is plain stupid considering that MS itself is developing the app, not asking Google to code it.

NeOak

wait, so a license isn't "deliberately and artificially limited" because that sounds exactly like a deliberate and artificial limit to me.

youtube.com works on Windows phone.

Why are you so butthurt over exFAT?

Its not like you need a license for SDHC or SDXC either, or to actually use a SD card as something better than a glorified MMC with a 2GB limit.

Why is MS bad for making something that is made for a specific need available under a license?

The problem here is that Google is being a bitch and not allowing Microsoft in any way to get access to HD streams with an official app.

Google can get access to exFAT because of the option to license.

this_guy

That makes no sense. There are great YouTube apps already, the discussion is about Google artificially preventing MS from doing a YouTube app for the platform, in the same way they developed a Facebook app. Saying that its just a byproduct of app selection is plain stupid considering that MS itself is developing the app, not asking Google to code it.

Google doesn't have to provide anything - that's the bottom line. Google provided a way for Windows Phone users to access Youtube with the mobile app. They're not obligated to do anything else. And it does come down to App selection, which is why I left Windows 7. If you want Youtube on Windows phone your options are the mobile site, or Metrotube, or any other third party apps.

dLMN8R

IIRC, it's only NEW email accounts created after January(?)

No, unfortunately I think it's only for established relationships with EAS. So if your phone's already set up with push gmail, it'll hold fine. But if you ever delete the account from your phone and recreate it, or reset your phone to factory settings, you're screw(gled)

frontieruk

Google doesn't have to provide anything - that's the bottom line. Google provided a way for Windows Phone users to access Youtube with the mobile app. They're not obligated to do anything else. And it does come down to App selection, which is why I left Windows 7. If you want Youtube on Windows phone your options are the mobile site, or Metrotube, or any other third party apps.

So why is app selection a valid reason to block access to HD streams??? Seriously consider your answer...

this_guy

So why is app selection a valid reason to block access to HD streams??? Seriously consider your answer...

What are you talking about? All I said was there is no Youtube app from Google, Google is not morally obligated to put out an app for Windows Phone. I am not Google, so I don't have a reason why there's no app. If I had to guess why, it's probably either Windows Phone Marketshare isn't worth it, Microsoft's continual petty attacks on Google (Scroogle, etc) or a combination of both.

Like I said, I gave Window's Phone a chance. I check this thread to check on the progress of Windows Phone and hope that a third viable competitor emerges. I'm open to going back to Windows Phone in the future, but not at this time (I need spotify, Yahoo fantasy football, and my banking app).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You are missing the point by bringing up market share and app selection, and I'm not sure if its because you are being purposefully obtuse or just trolling.

What are you talking about? All I said was there is no Youtube app from Google, Google is not morally obligated to put out an app for Windows Phone. I am not Google, so I don't have a reason why there's no app. If I had to guess why, it's probably either Windows Phone Marketshare isn't worth it, Microsoft's continual petty attacks on Google (Scroogle, etc) or a combination of both.

Like I said, I gave Window's Phone a chance. I check this thread to check on the progress of Windows Phone and hope that a third viable competitor emerges. I'm open to going back to Windows Phone in the future, but not at this time (I need spotify, Yahoo fantasy football, and my banking app).

But no one talked about Google coding a YouTube app for Windows Phone. You completely missed the point.

this_guy

Do you think Google has a moral obligation to provide a Youtube app and/or develop an api for Microsoft to build their own app? This is all it comes down to right? Because if we point out business reasons why there isn't an app you'll accuse me of trolling. Having a legitimate point is not trolling.

NeOak

Do you think Google has a moral obligation to provide a Youtube app and/or develop an api for Microsoft to build their own app? This is all it comes down to right? Because if we point out business reasons why there isn't an app you'll accuse me of trolling. Having a legitimate point is not trolling.

Do no evil?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Do you think Google has a moral obligation to provide a Youtube app and/or develop an api for Microsoft to build their own app?

How about permitting access they already allow on other platforms so that MS can provide a comparable service without requiring Google to exert any effort at all on their part. That would be completely reasonable and is irrespective of market share or sales numbers because it does not require Google to utilize resources on a platform they don't want to support. MS would be utilizing their resources and coding the app.

In fact, I think it would be fair and entirely justified if Google decided to license the API and or metadata that MS would need.

this_guy

How about permitting access they already allow on other platforms so that MS can provide a comparable service without requiring Google to exert any effort at all on their part. That would be completely reasonable and is irrespective of market share or sales numbers because it does not require Google to utilize resources on a platform they don't want to support. MS would be utilizing their resources and coding the app.

In fact, I think it would be fair and entirely justified if Google decided to license the API and or metadata that MS would need.

And that's a fine opinion - all I'm saying is Google has no moral obligation to do so.

*I actually hope Google will eventually provide access, because this is petty. I don't use Youtube that often so it's not a must have app for me. I don't think this is "evil" per Google's mantra, but if that is their mantra they should be above this pettiness.

tfur

In a statement sent to AllThingsD, a spokesperson wrote:

“Contrary to Microsoft’s claims, it’s easy for consumers to view YouTube videos on Windows phones. Windows phone users can access all the features of YouTube through our HTML5-based mobile website, including viewing high-quality video streams, finding favorite videos, seeing video ratings, and searching for video categories. In fact, we’ve worked with Microsoft for several years to help build a great YouTube experience on Windows phones.”

Google is just paying back Microsoft for decades of slimy practices. It's well deserved.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You know, it seems that this conversation is creating confusion, so for the record and those who lurk and are considering windows phone:

-You can view YouTube videos through the fantastic html5 webapp that Google provides. You can sign in on the website and view subscriptions and high quality videos.

-You can view YouTube videos through really great 3rd party apps already available in the windows phone store. You can sign in through the apps and view subscriptions and high quality videos. One app in particular, MetroTube, is so good that some folks think it rivals or surpasses the native android app.

So the debate here is centered around the fact that Google does not want to publish a third party app for windows phone (which I don't think anyone here has questioned), nor does it want to allow MS access to metadata and other resources so MS itself can code and publish a quasi-first party youtube app, like Apple did. That second act is what some here have taken issue with.

NeOak

In a statement sent to AllThingsD, a spokesperson wrote:

Google is just paying back Microsoft for decades of slimy practices. It's well deserved.

I thought the DoJ was in charge of that.

Google is punishing us, the costumers, instead.

frontieruk

No API??? wow, how is everyone else doing it ???

Well said.

Why are you so butthurt over exFAT?

Its not like you need a license for SDHC or SDXC either, or to actually use a SD card as something better than a glorified MMC with a 2GB limit.

Why is MS bad for making something that is made for a specific need available under a license?

The problem here is that Google is being a bitch and not allowing Microsoft in any way to get access to HD streams with an official app.

Google can get access to exFAT because of the option to license.

in both cases, a company is holding back their proprietary technology from the other in certain ways. the difference is Youtube works on WP8 devices without any contractual agreements or money changing hands, while in the other case, MS wants to assert control on a filesystem. and why wouldn't any forward thinking consumer be upset at the debacle of the ridiculous situation on filesystem support for their 64GB SDXC cards?should we just wash our hands of this situation and put the soap back in a box? why doesn't Microsoft just build their own Youtube? Apple did that with Maps when they couldn't come to terms with Google! Hell, lets talk about Microsoft... look at their recent launch for Outlook on Android... SHIT RENAMED OLD APP. SmartGlass.... SHIT BLOATED APP that has device restrictions that don't even make sense. and it's not a recent trend or even Android exclusive, some of their relaunched iOS apps didn't support the iPhone 5! Why should Google give special support and access to a company that puts out substandard apps of their own IP on other platforms?

tldr; Google doesn't block Youtube on WP8, why do they have to give MS special API access to make an app for it?

tfur

DOJ does not need to have anything to do with it.

Microsoft has decades of bad history, and I will not shed a tear for other companies serving them the same way they served dozens of companies.

Nobody should lift a finger to accommodate the needs of Microsoft, unless they see it as good for technology or lesser reason, business.

Google would be punishing consumers if they blocked access to the web app. They probably want to drive toward web traffic over app traffic in any case.

Tapiozona

Banned
Are there any battery apps which don't require you to open the app in order to refresh the line tile to the accurate battery reading? From what I could tell none of the ones in the store updated the live tile on the fly.

Also, what are some must have apps for WP8. I had a 900 for a while and my app selection was rather limited because I just don't use them often but I'd like to download any that make the WP8 experience better. I got Amazing weather and I love the look of the live tile. I have mehdoh, metrotube, all the nokia essentials, netflix, skype, translator, freda+, whatsapp (not sure what to do with this. why not just use text instead?), and wikipedia. I feel like im missing out on some good apps.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any battery apps which don't require you to open the app in order to refresh the line tile to the accurate battery reading? From what I could tell none of the ones in the store updated the live tile on the fly.

Also, what are some must have apps for WP8. I had a 900 for a while and my app selection was rather limited because I just don't use them often but I'd like to download any that make the WP8 experience better. I got Amazing weather and I love the look of the live tile. I have mehdoh, metrotube, all the nokia essentials, netflix, skype, translator, whatsapp (not sure what to do with this. why not just use text instead?), and wikipedia. I feel like im missing out on some good apps.

Check out TV Show, for keeping track of what shows you watch. It has a great live tile. Also Fuse RRS reader has been updated for WP8. Weatherflow and BBC News are also good.

PG2G

Google is punishing consumers by not having an API
Instagram is punishing consumers by having a crippled API
Yelp is punishing consumers by having a crippled API
Twitter is punishing consumers by having a crippled API

Foursquare? They are the ones that appear to have it right.

Screw the business perspective. We all need to be pushing for an open internet where if a company doesn't have the resources or desire to create their own app for every platform then a third party can.

Without this you're killing innovation in the industry because there is no way for a new ecosystem to exist without access to core services. Without APIs (free or paid) you prevent a company like Jolla from even having a chance.

dLMN8R

Any battery app needs to run code to update its tile, so it's limited to something like once every 30 minutes when it's allowed to do so.

tfur

Google is punishing consumers by not having an API
Instagram is punishing consumers by having a crippled API
Yelp is punishing consumers by having a crippled API
Twitter is punishing consumers by having a crippled API

Foursquare? They are the ones that appear to have it right.

Screw the business perspective. We all need to be pushing for an open internet where if a company doesn't have the resources or desire to create their own app for every platform then a third party can.

Without this you're killing innovation in the industry because there is no way for a new ecosystem to exist without access to core services. Without APIs (free or paid) you prevent a company like Jolla from even having a chance.

I agree, but everyone needs to follow this idea.

You cannot build a company for decades using strong arm tactics, and then once you start failing in an industry cry foul. I mean you can, but its highly hypocritical after decades of corrupt bullshit.

I would imagine that this will eventually be ironed out with some type of agreement for how data is accessed. It seems sensible to reevaluate the opening of the pipes for a corporate entity with some sort of compensation/data sharing agreement for bandwidth and content.

PG2G

Decades of strong arming following by decades of playing as fair and open as possible. As strange as it sounds, Microsoft is doing a far better job of being open than most of the other companies at the moment.

NeOak

in both cases, a company is holding back their proprietary technology from the other in certain ways. the difference is Youtube works on WP8 devices without any contractual agreements or money changing hands, while in the other case, MS wants to assert control on a filesystem. and why wouldn't any forward thinking consumer be upset at the debacle of the ridiculous situation on filesystem support for their 64GB SDXC cards?should we just wash our hands of this situation and put the soap back in a box? why doesn't Microsoft just build their own Youtube? Apple did that with Maps when they couldn't come to terms with Google! Hell, lets talk about Microsoft... look at their recent launch for Outlook on Android... SHIT RENAMED OLD APP. SmartGlass.... SHIT BLOATED APP that has device restrictions that don't even make sense. and it's not a recent trend or even Android exclusive, some of their relaunched iOS apps didn't support the iPhone 5! Why should Google give special support and access to a company that puts out substandard apps of their own IP on other platforms?

tldr; Google doesn't block Youtube on WP8, why do they have to give MS special API access to make an app for it?

Microsoft has been trying for 2 years to build their own Youtube app but Google doesn't allow them to get access to the same API Apple has access to.

That is what we are complaining about.

Microsoft has decades of bad history, and I will not shed a tear for other companies serving them the same way they served dozens of companies.

Nobody should lift a finger to accommodate the needs of Microsoft, unless they see it as good for technology or lesser reason, business.

Google would be punishing consumers if they blocked access to the web app. They probably want to drive toward web traffic over app traffic in any case.

We might as well stop import of German products because of WWI an II.

What happened in the past is irrelevant.

NeOak

Great, so lets punish Nintendo for their years of oppressive developer relationships, or SCEA for their shitty politics towards 2D games, or Apple for their years of iTunes DRM that no one could license and made the iPod so successful.

Stop the selective and hypocritical BS.

You don't like their products? Fine, don't use them. But don't come here and tell us that we have to do a penance for whatever MS did 15 years ago by being treated like a pariah by a company that has a damn "Do no evil" motto.

Major battery drain, wouldn't ever be feasible unless you don't mind charging your phone every hour.

It would only activate once you pressed the button to show the screen, The second the screen goes to dark it would just pause it and remember where its location was so that once you hit the side button to turn it back on it would continue.

SpecX

Google isn't punishing consumers, consumers are punishing themselves for buying a phone that they know doesn't have a YouTube app ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom