• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

This speech thing is kinda annoying. I can't get the OneNote notes to work. It does understand my words, but if I say "Note I am hungry" or something like it, it goes into Bing instead of transcribing it in OneNote.

Edit: Works now. The speech recognition is surprisingly good, especially considering it's me talking in English. Opening apps might actually be quicker this way.

Piper Az

I think my 920 is bricked. It's trying to factory rest, but the battery ran out, and now it just goes to initial-charging-2 gear animation-off over and over again...

Any help?

flippedb

Banned
This speech thing is kinda annoying. I can't get the OneNote notes to work. It does understand my words, but if I say "Note I am hungry" or something like it, it goes into Bing instead of transcribing it in OneNote.

Edit: Works now. The speech recognition is surprisingly good, especially considering it's me talking in English. Opening apps might actually be quicker this way.

Teach me your ways

joshschw

I think there were some spinning gears when I installed the German speech pack on my mothers 920, but everything worked fine.

Yeah, they can't make plug-ins for Windows Phone IE / Windows 8 Metro IE, but I wonder why not just build on top of IE as another app. When browsers such as SurfCube can just do their own thing on top of IE, why not tailor the browser to Lastpass? The Windows Phone Lastpass app is pretty useless without browser integration.

Lastpass does have one... I have used it on my surface2.... I do prefer just to load the app and paste my pw into regular IE though. the overlay sucks in lastpass app.

Milchjon

I just didn't know you could create notes and everything.

Well, it's not like there are a million things to do.

Notes are just "Note [your text here]"

Texting works well, although they censor you.

Surprised that there doesn't seem to be a way to control music with it.

I've been messing around with a Nokia 520, and ghhnnnnnnnnnn Windows Phone is so tantalizing. So fluent, easy and with gorgeous animations. Compare that to my crummy slow piece of shit exuse of a phone.

I want a Nokia phone, I really want Windows Phone OS, but I just can't make the jump. The Windows smartphones are all a tad to bulky/big for my taste, and more importantly: not enough apps.

So yeah, I know it's the usual story here, but thought I'd share it. The day WP marketshare hits critical mass and therefore has enough apps, and the days Nokia releases a lumia 520'ish phone that's not that bulky, I'm soooo there. In the meantime I'm sadly looking for my next phone in the android section. :-/

NeOak

I've been messing around with a Nokia 520, and ghhnnnnnnnnnn Windows Phone is so tantalizing. So fluent, easy and with gorgeous animations. Compare that to my crummy slow piece of shit exuse of a phone.

I want a Nokia phone, I really want Windows Phone OS, but I just can't make the jump. The Windows smartphones are all a tad to bulky/big for my taste, and more importantly: not enough apps.

So yeah, I know it's the usual story here, but thought I'd share it. The day WP marketshare hits critical mass and therefore has enough apps, and the days Nokia releases a lumia 520'ish phone that's not that bulky, I'm soooo there. In the meantime I'm sadly looking for my next phone in the android section. :-/

520 is bulky?

What?

520 is bulky?

What?

I'm fully aware a 520 is pretty small in the current smartphone world, but I still find it a bit too bulky. I would love it if Nokia released an "optimized" version of the 520 next year which keeps the same screen size, but is slightly smaller in all possible dimensions. Instead off course, the spec race is more important, and the internals of the phone will be updated, forcing them to keep the phone just as big, if not bigger than it is now. That's not just Nokia off course, every manufacturer does it, and I hate them for it.

kharma45

I'm fully aware a 520 is pretty small in the current smartphone world, but I still find it a bit too bulky. I would love it if Nokia released an "optimized" version of the 520 next year which keeps the same screen size, but is slightly smaller in all possible dimensions. Instead off course, the spec race is more important, and the internals of the phone will be updated, forcing them to keep the phone just as big, if not bigger than it is now. That's not just Nokia off course, every manufacturer does it, and I hate them for it.

I don't see how it's bulky either. Too thick or what?

this_guy

I think my 920 is bricked. It's trying to factory rest, but the battery ran out, and now it just goes to initial-charging-2 gear animation-off over and over again...

Any help?

My 920 did that for an entire weekend, and I was also worried that it bricked because the battery died while it was doing the spinning gears thing. I kept alternating it on and off the charger and after a couple of days it completed the factory reset. Luckily I picked up an HTC 8X as a backup phone and had a phone to use during this time.

Kajigger

Hey, not sure if anyone could help me with this, but after the amber update, my 820's screen goes haywire if I use it for a while. I have to hard reset for it to correct itself. Anyone know if this is a firmware bug?

Fox Mulder

I actually like the 8x over the Lumia stuff because it's lighter, thinner, and has a great screen. No bullshit OEM skins like on HTC android phones as well. You just miss out on all the bonuses Nokia provides, which MS should actually be doing for the entire ecosystem.

MCD

I think him saying it's bulky refers to the boxy design.

If you want a slim Nokia, then 720 and 925 are for you. Greatest Lumia designs IMO.

HTC 8X is also slim and sexy but HTC been silent for a while regarding their support for WP so I'm not sure if it's worth it over Lumia phones. Yeah, I know they released GDR3 but after that? Who knows.

Fox Mulder

I think him saying it's bulky refers to the boxy design.

If you want a slim Nokia, then 720 and 925 are for you. Greatest Lumia designs IMO.

HTC 8X is also slim and sexy but HTC been silent for a while regarding their support for WP so I'm not sure if it's worth it over Lumia phones. Yeah, I know they released GDR3 but after that? Who knows.

I don't really blame OEMs for bailing on WP at this point though. The 8x is nice, I just don't like the lumias that I messed with in the store at the time.

Walshicus

wpshare.png

So, WP is known to be at or over 10% (+- 1%) in:
UK
France
Italy
Australia
New Zealand
Thailand
South Africa
Finland

And it's quite likely the case that it's done that in Russia other East-European markets.

Looks like the gamble is paying off.

hadareud

The Translator
Those are some really good numbers.

9.8 % in the EU5 is close to a critical foothold. Especially when you consider that that's vs. 14.6 % iOS

You would think that with those numbers developers and companies (Sky etc.) alike can no longer afford to refuse to take note. It's a shame that the growth in the US is a bit delayed, but going by last quarter it's starting to happen there too.

edit: China is a bit shit though, to be fair.

What are these apps that are so crucial I wonder? Instagram and Pinterest? I don't care about them, but even if I did, I wonder if that would really be a deciding factor for me.

What I miss:

- a banking app from my bank (BNP Paribas Belgium)
- the official RDP app (which should be coming soon?)
- an official Sonos app for WP and RT

Fox Mulder

What are these apps that are so crucial I wonder? Instagram and Pinterest? I don't care about them, but even if I did, I wonder if that would really be a deciding factor for me.

What I miss:

- a banking app from my bank (BNP Paribas Belgium)
- the official RDP app (which should be coming soon?)
- an official Sonos app for WP and RT

no official drop box, YouTube, or yahoo fantasy. Horrible selection of games. Even some official apps like eBay suck compared to ios/android version. I'm never going to enter my login info to third party apps.

the OS is visually distinctive and appealing, the phones are great, but the app situation sucks ass.

hadareud

The Translator
Ebay is alright, nothing special. If they had a better website, I'd probably expect a better app.

3rd party youtube apps are fine. Makes no sense not wanting to log in to them using your Google account since they only have access to specific information and the security is handled by Google and not by the 3rd party apps.

Set up Authenticator for Google if you are paranoid about security (like me). Also, use LP and use strong, unique passwords for every one of your accounts. I couldn't care less if my Instgram (for instance) account got hacked - there is zero useful information in there apart from my email address which is public anyway and since I use different password for every account there's nothing to worry about.

Piper Az

My 920 did that for an entire weekend, and I was also worried that it bricked because the battery died while it was doing the spinning gears thing. I kept alternating it on and off the charger and after a couple of days it completed the factory reset. Luckily I picked up an HTC 8X as a backup phone and had a phone to use during this time.

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, this is getting a bit ridiculous. I love my WP, but I had to get a new phone last night, as I didn't know what was going to happen with my Lumia. I've stuck with WP since Windows Phone 7, but I will have to live with an iPhone for now (one of my main apps on WP is so bad due to lack of update/service). Hopefully, I will come back to WP once the app environment gets better!

no official drop box, YouTube, or yahoo fantasy. Horrible selection of games. Even some official apps like eBay suck compared to ios/android version. I'm never going to enter my login info to third party apps.

the OS is visually distinctive and appealing, the phones are great, but the app situation sucks ass.

I prefer Skydrive over Dropbox, Youtube app is not really needed, and even then the one MS designed was awesome but Google didn't play nice. I kinda like the eBay app, don't see much missing from the iOS counterpart. I hate it that I can't log into the IMDb app though, now there's an app that's in need of an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom