• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question about coming back to Windows Phone.

Does the Live Home Screen of Facebook work like Android's Facebook Home?
Does Whatsap still sucks?
Also more importantly is they new keyboards? I hate Windows Phone keyboard, so improvements more akin to swiftkey would be important. (Multi language integration at the same time is a must)

Fox Mulder

I don't wanna cringe eveytime I hear cortana in a ms commercial, Like how I cringe when they use halo to sell windows tablets. Anyway Google now is a horrible name too

it's just a code name, although not worse than words like siri or Kinect. It would be interesting if they actually got the voice actor from the halo game.

it's an incredibly late feature anyways.

Htc 8x (att) upgraded to gdr3 last night no issues.

Not too overwhelmed by the new features but appreciate it nonetheless

I don't even notice anything different.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Also more importantly is they new keyboards? I hate Windows Phone keyboard, so improvements more akin to swiftkey would be important. (Multi language integration at the same time is a must)

Stay on Android.

Update 3/GDR3

Milchjon

The homescreen doesn't work like on Facebook Home. It's basically shuffling through pics and giving you your most recent notification/message.

WhatsApp works really well in my opinion. It's being updated constantly too.

The keyboard is still the same old, but updated with a better word prediction thing that can help quite a bit because it's relatively smart. I personally love it. No keyboard replacements exist

Edit: Apparently Tom Warren spent some time with the Xbone and will upload vids.

dLMN8R

Using Nokia Drive there's no way to view your upcoming turns, right? Other than panning/zooming around in the map itself of course.

it's just a code name, although not worse than words like siri or Kinect. It would be interesting if they actually got the voice actor from the halo game.

it's an incredibly late feature anyways.

MS may be "incredibly late" to have a fully voiced back and forth type thing, but the available voice commands are actually pretty great right now. I have texts read to me, respond to texts on occasion, navigate through my contacts and take calls through voice while driving, and that's like probably 75% of what I want my phone to do through voice. All that's left is to be able to speak destinations into Here Drive+. And having emails read to me like texts would be nice too.

Although I wouldn't complain if they kept Cortana as Cortana for the final release. And have her address me as Chief.

Troll

Banned
Using Nokia Drive there's no way to view your upcoming turns, right? Other than panning/zooming around in the map itself of course.

If there is then I can't figure it out either. I don't like Nokia Drive or the directions on Here Maps, I like exit numbers.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It should have a symbol in the top left or something saying which way the next turn is.

Edit:

mg5s457.jpg

The homescreen doesn't work like on Facebook Home. It's basically shuffling through pics and giving you your most recent notification/message.

WhatsApp works really well in my opinion. It's being updated constantly too.

The keyboard is still the same old, but updated with a better word prediction thing that can help quite a bit because it's relatively smart. I personally love it. No keyboard replacements exist

Edit: Apparently Tom Warren spent some time with the Xbone and will upload vids.

Dammit, I'm bummed out that Windows Phone kind of lost steam in here, I jumped ship when the Apollo phones hit, hoping that in a year the next big update will come and then I could comeback to a mature os that lacks the annoyances that made me quit it. (mainly the keyboard). Oh well, will ask the same question in a couple of months.

Dammit, I'm bummed out that Windows Phone kind of lost steam in here, I jumped ship when the Apollo phones hit, hoping that in a year the next big update will come and then I could comeback to a mature os that lacks the annoyances that made me quit it. (mainly the keyboard). Oh well, will ask the same question in a couple of months.

WP 8.1 should be coming out in the spring. That will be the first major update, and from what we're hearing its Mango Tier in terms of updates

Milchjon

I'm not sure they're gonna change/open up the keyboard to the degree that you personally wish for. I also think it's definitely better than the iOS one. It just works really well.

WP 8.1 should be coming out in the spring. That will be the first major update, and from what we're hearing its Mango Tier in terms of updates
it will probably introduce things from the tablet OS; charms bar, true multitasking, snap apps, device "play to," and hopefully the metro browser not this mobile IE garbage.

hwalker84

it will probably introduce things from the tablet OS; charms bar, true multitasking, snap apps, device "play to," and hopefully the metro browser not this mobile IE garbage.

Don't get your hopes up. The wait till the next version thirst is real on windows phone. God damn I love this OS but I know not to expect much anymore. Just look at GDR3. Its pretty pathetic. I don't expect 8.1 to be much more than a GDR release.

IE and IE Mobile have the same rendering engine. But it would be great if the detection of IE would be better, because it sucks that websites still see it as something like IE6. Something like a compatibility list like on the desktop.

Don't get your hopes up. The wait till the next version thirst is real on windows phone. God damn I love this OS but I know not to expect much anymore. Just look at GDR3. Its pretty pathetic. I don't expect 8.1 to be much more than a GDR release.

8.1 is definitely better and bigger than the GDR updates. Wait for the leaks.

Milchjon

Actually, I kinda have expectations. It will be almost 1.5 years since WP8 then, they have no excuses like a kernel change, the whole MS infrastructure seems to finally be ready for tighter integration, and Windows 8.1 showed good improvements.

Also, I trust lastflowers.

hwalker84

Actually, I kinda have expectations. It will be almost 1.5 years since WP8 then, they have no excuses like a kernel change, the whole MS infrastructure seems to finally be ready for tighter integration, and Windows 8.1 showed good improvements.

So do I. Its his bosses and their direction that I don't trust. Watch the unveiling spend 15 minutes detailing kids corner 2.

PG2G

I'm expecting a fair amount also. I can't wait for the leaks to begin :O

Also worth noting that this is probably the first major release where Nokia could have had some major influence on (Mango was pre-Nokia, Apollo was likely too far along for Nokia to have any input).

And I don't know why you guys are so down on GDR3, it has more user facing features than GDR1 or GDR2 and actually addresses a handful of issues that people have been complaining about for a while.

Milchjon

Now with Xbone's speech recognition seemingly being pretty good, I wonder how they'll bring this stuff to our phones. I also wonder what the keyword's going to be. Since I don't think they have something as recognizable as "Xbox" or "OK, Google" or whatever. Let's hope it's "Hey Cortana" so I can feel appropriately ashamed in public.

And I don't know why you guys are so down on GDR3, it has more user facing features than GDR1 or GDR2 and actually addresses a handful of issues that people have been complaining about for a while.

GDR3 is disappointing, because it came out at the same time when the other OSes got their big updates and then WP should get its. Now you could debate if 4.4 is actually that big, but it's a change nonetheless. Windows Phone instead got 8.0.3.

Walshicus

IE and IE Mobile have the same rendering engine. But it would be great if the detection of IE would be better, because it sucks that websites still see it as something like IE6. Something like a compatibility list like on the desktop.

That'll probably change if they keep WP's IE 11 user-agent in line with the desktop version.

MCD

How about allowing Firefox, Chrome and Opera into the store already? I think the SDK is mature enough for alternatives browsers now.

Milchjon

Sad that Nokia doesn't like using cyan on newer phones. Got a cyan cover for my mother-in-laws 520. Looks so good.

Cyan is GOAT. And with the 2520, it seems like it's not totally dead.

Has anyone found an outside-the-box use for Kid's Corner? I spent a few minutes on making the two wallpapers line up seamlessly, but realized I have no real use for it. Would've been cool if I was able to keep it password free and put some non-critical apps there for quicker access. Alas, I don't think you can set that up separately.

PG2G

How about allowing Firefox, Chrome and Opera into the store already? I think the SDK is mature enough for alternatives browsers now.

I don't think Microsoft has banned alternative browsers. The SDK does not allow for a lot of the capabilities a browser needs to be competitive (this is true on WP, WinRT, and iOS). Things like just in time compilation, multiple background processes, etc.

When you see something like Chrome or Firefox on iOS, it is severely crippled because of the JavaScript engine they have to use. I think I read somewhere that Javascript on Chrome is 3x slower than in Safari.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...limiting-performance-api-access-certain-apps/

MCD

I will take a drop in performance over no alternative browser any day because there is always that one site that refuse to work right.

PG2G

Agreed, definitely decreases their motivation to port though. I remember reading about a year ago that Opera was looking at a Windows Phone 8 port. Wonder what happened with that. You'd think they could at least do the one that renders remotely.

maeh2k

The OS is as ready for alternative browsers as iOS (in that they'd have to use the IE rendering engine). It's the market share that isn't ready for other browsers.
The other browsers haven't even arrived in Windows 8's Metro UI yet, even though they can use their regular desktop rendering engine.

Actually, I think it's surprising that we don't see any other high-profile third party browsers using the IE engine. It seems like it wouldn't take a lot of effort to give IE a new UI. I was wondering, if e.g. Lastpass could simply make their own browser embedding IE, but offering their own UI to give people easy access to their passwords and auto-fill forms. The lack of Lastpass especially on Windows 8 is one of the reasons I couldn't really use IE as my main browser.

Wait, installing a language pack for speech leads to spinning gears? Dammit, if only I had known.

Oh well, now we wait.

What? I'm using 3 languages on my phone and never had spinning gears. It just prompted an update, which is mistook for an OS update. It's actually worse than the spinning gears.

MCD

The OS is as ready for alternative browsers as iOS (in that they'd have to use the IE rendering engine). It's the market share that isn't ready for other browsers.
The other browsers haven't even arrived in Windows 8's Metro UI yet, even though they can use their regular desktop rendering engine.

Actually, I think it's surprising that we don't see any other high-profile third party browsers using the IE engine. It seems like it wouldn't take a lot of effort to give IE a new UI. I was wondering, if e.g. Lastpass could simply make their own browser embedding IE, but offering their own UI to give people easy access to their passwords and auto-fill forms. The lack of Lastpass especially on Windows 8 is one of the reasons I couldn't really use IE as my main browser.

Are you talking about LastPass on IE Metro? I don't think they are allowed to touch it, at least ADblock Plus IE version couldn't.

As for Desktop IE11, LastPass still doesn't support Enhanced Protection Mode but you can turn it off if you really need LastPass working.

Metro Firefox is coming next year (or was it Dec?) so there is still hope.

maeh2k

What? I'm using 3 languages on my phone and never had spinning gears. It just prompted an update, which is mistook for an OS update. It's actually worse than the spinning gears.

I think there were some spinning gears when I installed the German speech pack on my mothers 920, but everything worked fine.

Are you talking about LastPass on IE Metro? I don't think they are allowed to touch it, at least ADblock Plus IE version couldn't.

As for Desktop IE11, LastPass still doesn't support Enhanced Protection Mode but you can turn it off if you really need LastPass working.

Metro Firefox is coming next year (or was it Dec?) so there is still hope.

Yeah, they can't make plug-ins for Windows Phone IE / Windows 8 Metro IE, but I wonder why not just build on top of IE as another app. When browsers such as SurfCube can just do their own thing on top of IE, why not tailor the browser to Lastpass? The Windows Phone Lastpass app is pretty useless without browser integration.

Milchjon

I just downloaded the American pack and when I installed, it went into spiining gears for a few minutes. Worked anyway.

It also says I have no apps installed that use the speech input. That's crazy. So I can't even say "Skype Call XYZ"? Damn you, WP devs.

MCD

I think there were some spinning gears when I installed the German speech pack on my mothers 920, but everything worked fine.

Yeah, they can't make plug-ins for Windows Phone IE / Windows 8 Metro IE, but I wonder why not just build on top of IE as another app. When browsers such as SurfCube can just do their own thing on top of IE, why not tailor the browser to Lastpass? The Windows Phone Lastpass app is pretty useless without browser integration.

That would be nice. Didn't know SurfCube could do that.

kharma45

UK has had some good offers on the 520, CPW has had it at £60 at times and you can get it PAYG for £70 plus £10 top up at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom