• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
5" 1080p Verizon 929

Verizon_Lumia_929_close_FF_cleaned.jpg

Verizon_Lumia_929_1020_cleaned.jpg

Microsoft needs to figure out how to get RT into the low Android tablet price range.

I agree but to a degree. People associate Android tablets as junk (besides Nexus) and although Nokia needs to be priced low, the quality needs to be high like the 2520. I'd easily pay $300 for a Nokia 8" 32gb RT tablet.

Hey, those numbers are actually good! Great to see the platform finally getting some legs, but even with the improvements in the US, it's still a ways away from numbers that demand more development priority from a lot of these American-based devs.

929 specs looks great, 32GB and Qi. 5 inch being about as big as I'd want to go with a phone. I could get behind that, but not on Verizon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, those numbers are actually good! Great to see the platform finally getting some legs, but even with the improvements in the US, it's still a ways away from numbers that demand more development priority from a lot of these American-based devs.

929 specs looks great, 32GB and Qi. 5 inch being about as big as I'd want to go with a phone. I could get behind that, but not on Verizon.

As close as we will get to a 920 successor until next year. Still not sure if I would want a phone that big though.

hwalker84

Yep same here. But I'm not leaving AT&T or my 1020 for Verizon

Give me a 5-5.3 inch 1020 with the latest and greatest specs.

Fox Mulder

I prefer Skydrive over Dropbox, Youtube app is not really needed, and even then the one MS designed was awesome but Google didn't play nice. I kinda like the eBay app, don't see much missing from the iOS counterpart. I hate it that I can't log into the IMDb app though, now there's an app that's in need of an update.

I haven't bothered with skydrive yet because I had everything working fine with dropbox across all my devices, even the ouya.

The ebay app just sucks. The messages just kick you to the website instead of in the app or even a mobile site. You can't track shipments, you can't look at your feedback, can't revise auctions, can't even use ebay bucks when you buy something. This is a joke compared to the ios or android version.

I also don't care why the youtube situation is the way it is, youtube is an essential app that is available on everything with a screen these days.

I like WP, it's just there's a real issue with apps. Not everyone wants third party stuff, and it's not too hard to expect apps from giants like Google, Yahoo, or Ebay. I didn't even mention games, which is a popular and growing aspect of mobile that is completely dead on WP.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I also don't care why the youtube situation is the way it is, youtube is an essential app that is available on everything with a screen these days.

I don't know what the fuck you want Microsoft to do here. They even coded a YouTube app from scratch and Google made them pull it. Google outright refuses to put their apps on windows 8 and windows phone, marketshare be damned. If you're gonna act all pissy, then get mad at Google. If you're not willing to use the excellent third party apps, which authenticate through Google (so they never see your password), then just shut.the.fuck.up or go into the android thread and whine to them about Google's refusal to not only support your current phone platform, but to actively and vigorously prevent MS from coding an awesome app on their behalf with absolutely no investment on their part.

And the third party app I use (mytube) is better than the IOS YouTube app on my iPad and the YouTube app on my OneX. This is the stupidest specific complaint and you keep making it, which is why I had no choice but to call you out.

Azih

So is there any good podcast downloading app that's free? I tried PODCASTS! but it can't download in the background and the one podcast that I downloaded through it cut out in the middle.

freshair

Vevo videos seem to be broken again via 3rd party youtube apps. Both Mytube and Metrotube doesn't load the video.

So I go to Youtube's mobile site and there's a banner saying a 30 sec ad will play before my video. Ok, cool. Ad plays fine and then I get an error saying video cannot be played on this device. O__O

Karish

So is there any good podcast downloading app that's free? I tried PODCASTS! but it can't download in the background and the one podcast that I downloaded through it cut out in the middle.

iPodcast is pretty great. Just had a big update.

KageMaru

5" 1080p Verizon 929

Verizon_Lumia_929_close_FF_cleaned.jpg

Verizon_Lumia_929_1020_cleaned.jpg

That is one sexy phone. Would love the white version

I like WP, it's just there's a real issue with apps. Not everyone wants third party stuff, and it's not too hard to expect apps from giants like Google, Yahoo, or Ebay. I didn't even mention games, which is a popular and growing aspect of mobile that is completely dead on WP.

Yeah the app situation is a nagging issue for the platform. I could have sold two Windows phones this weekend. My roommate's sister and brother in law stopped by for the weekend. Their seven year old son wanted to play on someone's phone. This prompted a discussion about past issues giving kids phones. While we were talking, I set up kids corner on my phone and showed how it works to my roommate's sister and brother in law. Their kid loved it since it seemed like a part of the phone was set up for him. The parents absolutely loved the feature and began asking me questions about WP. Everything sounded great to them until we began talking about the apps. The lack of candy crush was the death blow for my roommate's sister, while the lack of instagram was what put off her husband. I explained that Instagram was on the way and that 3rd party apps already offered great experiences for Instagram, etc. but he was now concerned about the lack of overall support for the platform.

So yeah, the app situation is a real problem for Microsoft. However I wouldn't really blame MS, IIRC someone from the company (maybe Joe?) expressed how they were willing to pay, co-develop, etc. to get apps on their phone but it takes these other companies to want to work with MS. I looked for the actual comment but couldn't find it.

I don't know what the fuck you want Microsoft to do here. They even coded a YouTube app from scratch and Google made them pull it. Google outright refuses to put their apps on windows 8 and windows phone, marketshare be damned. If you're gonna act all pissy, then get mad at Google. If you're not willing to use the excellent third party apps, which authenticate through Google (so they never see your password), then just shut.the.fuck.up or go into the android thread and whine to them about Google's refusal to not only support your current phone platform, but to actively and vigorously prevent MS from coding an awesome app on their behalf with absolutely no investment on their part.

And the third party app I use (mytube) is better than the IOS YouTube app on my iPad and the YouTube app on my OneX. This is the stupidest specific complaint and you keep making it, which is why I had no choice but to call you out.

Calm down there killer. =P He does have a point though. Regardless of how many options WP users currently have, it's the perception that matters most.

flippedb

Banned
Vevo videos seem to be broken again via 3rd party youtube apps. Both Mytube and Metrotube doesn't load the video.

So I go to Youtube's mobile site and there's a banner saying a 30 sec ad will play before my video. Ok, cool. Ad plays fine and then I get an error saying video cannot be played on this device. O__O

I can play videos on mytube, no problem. I did hear some things about Vevo videos not playing, but that should be solved if you use the mytube Beta, according to the dev.

Edit: By the way, where does mytube save the downloaded videos?

pretty sure I never want to hear the phrase 'clean and modern' or an OS performance as 'snappy' ever again. There are more of these words that I see everywhere that disturb me with their repetition, but luckily they have not reared their head today.

1GB of RAM would be sweet in it, would see a lot less 'Resuming...' in it and other 512MB devices

I wish it a) was international and b) had MicroSD.

If that was so it'd be my perfect WP device.

My perfect device is basically a slimmer 920 with the same screen size and 1080p screen. A MicroSD card slot is bonus, but I don't need it if I have a 32GB HDD.

..Also speaker ports in locations that my hands aren't (namely the two ends)

Day 1 purchase if it ever comes to fruition.

ElNino

KageMaru

The white one in that picture is the 1020 I believe. Unless you just meant that you would love a white version of the phone (in general)... carry on.

Yeah sorry, I meant I'd love a white 929. While Verizon's choice of colors are limited and boring, I still think the white 928 is a nice looking phone.

Hopefully this means we'll see GDR3 (and Lumia Black) officially rolled out to more phones soon.

MS could make the youtube app on HTML5 instead of native code and Google would approve it.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/09/microsoft-re-releases-its-youtube-app-for-windows-phone/

Sure but it would take a long time to develop and still lack compared to what Microsoft already put out. Meanwhile, Google isn't making this a requirement for anyone else last I read. Not cool.

MCD

Why do we even care whether MS (or Google) make another YouTube app as long as we have MetroTube and MyTube? Both are better than any YouTube app I've tried on other platforms so I'm not sure what we are hoping to gain out of Google allowing a MS developed app.

New WP user search for Youtube

oh god what is this I don't even

pepperzz

Went to Rogers last night to see if I could trade up to a Lumia 1020 from 920... would cost me $487 after it's all said and done. That's almost full price... so lame.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Went to Rogers last night to see if I could trade up to a Lumia 1020 from 920... would cost me $487 after it's all said and done. That's almost full price... so lame.

Yeah, unless you are close to the end of the contract it is crazy. You have to an extra $50 just to convert from a 3yr to a 2yr contract. I will be using my 920 for quite a while yet.

ElNino

Yeah, doing early upgrades can sometimes cost you a fortune.

I was pretty fortunate with my upgrade from a 900 to a 1020 that after everything was done it only cost me about $50, but that was mainly due to a credit I got when changing my plan. Without my credit it would have been $250 (which I still would have done).

I hate when a perfectly nice app is ruined by a stinking advert. Just downloaded the NFL Mobile app and they have a dirty add right there the whole time. I'd rather just buy it and forgo the banner.

pepperzz

Yeah, doing early upgrades can sometimes cost you a fortune.

I was pretty fortunate with my upgrade from a 900 to a 1020 that after everything was done it only cost me about $50, but that was mainly due to a credit I got when changing my plan. Without my credit it would have been $250 (which I still would have done).

Yep me too, I went in there with a $300 cap. It's too bad the guy couldn't just give me a deal or anything :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom