• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

why does it say I don't have permission to download this app?
I require snapchat asap.

Are you sure you're in the right region's store?

Also, I just discovered 627 AM. It's basically an "everything I need in the morning" alarm clock+memo+weather app with a rather nice live tile. I really like it so far.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Went to Rogers last night to see if I could trade up to a Lumia 1020 from 920... would cost me $487 after it's all said and done. That's almost full price... so lame.

Call Rogers and ask to speak with someone in retentions. I had a $180 early upgrade fee because I had 8 months left on my account, he got rid of it completely. They'll waive anything 6 months or less, somehow he took my 8 months and changed it to 6 so they could waive the other 2 months as well. I paid $250 with a $50 rebate for my 1020.

The people at the store or the regular people you get on the phone can't do anything.

Commodore

So I've been using Baconit as my mobile reddit client for a long long time now, spent who knows how many hours using that app. Likely up to today, one of the best apps I've ever used across all the platforms I've been on, but I took a chance and tried out Readit today and I've got to say, its really given Baconit a run for its money.

Much cleaner design, quick, loads GIFs instantly, just, I'm really impressed this is playing ball as a 1.0 version app versus Quin's Baconit. If you're a redditor, its definitely worth checking out the trial, and easily worth the 2 bucks.

And this is what the app says when a video from YouTube doesn't load:

tgOnLVBl.jpg

Sold.

Also been catching up on the thread, there was a discussion on voice recognition a bit back, anyone use Speech? It augments the built in TellMe service with more commands, works like its built in to the OS when you hold down home, you just have to use the command "Phone" to use the extra speech options the app provides.

I use it to set quick reminders/alarms and to do a quick search for food nearby when I'm driving. Works great.

Here are some of the extra commands:

TRIAL VERSION
● Send Email
● What Can I Say
● Search 10 websites
● Time/Date
● Map Search
● Store Search
● Reminders

FULL VERSION ONLY
● Navigation/Directions
● Battery Life
● Share Status
● Shuffle/Pause/Play/Previous/Next Music
● Appointments
● Alarms

Milchjon

Also been catching up on the thread, there was a discussion on voice recognition a bit back, anyone use Speech? It augments the built in TellMe service with more commands, works like its built in to the OS when you hold down home, you just have to use the command "Phone" to use the extra speech options the app provides.

I use it to set quick reminders/alarms and to do a quick search for food nearby when I'm driving. Works great.

Here are some of the extra commands:

Thanks, will try.

I know this is getting silly, but I find it almost comical how every time Windows Phone is about to get a spec bump, there's an Android OEM that shits all over it again.

It's time to start getting used to discussing WQHD resolution, or 2560 x 1440 pixels, in relation to smartphones. Samsung's Analyst Day gathering today shed some light on the company's future plans, and the display category was highlighted by the promise of 560ppi AMOLED panels for phones. Combine that with the 1440p resolution and you get a 5.2-inch handset — the same dimensions as on LG's 1080p G2, but with 78 percent more pixels. And if that's not enough, we're told to look forward to 4K resolutions — also known as Ultra HD or 3840 x 2160 — in 2015.

3wwbRSB.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm sure there will be an update to support that resolution next fall. Another row of tiles!!!!!!

I can't be the only one perfectly happy with 720p, right?. I mean, the jump from 480p to 720p was huge, but everytime I've played with a 1080p phone I'm not really able to see the difference. All the high end phones have gorgeous screens, I fail to see how this is important. My next phone will likely be one of these crazy resolutions, but that's because I only buy high end phones, not because I care.

hadareud

The Translator
It's especially stupid because at that screen-size resolution really doesn't matter anymore above 1080p.

They should look at different parts of the display to improve - power draw, colour reproduction, black levels, contrast and refresh rate are all a lot more important imo.

Once they've sorted out the battery usage they can look at upping the resolution.

All reports say the ATT 1520 has a microSD slot and with such a large battery, the loss if qi isn't so bad. Phone is still too big for my taste though.

Yes, I too am fine with 720p for 5" screens or less. I really can't tell the difference. Maybe if I stick my face within 2 inches of the screen, squint, and wait 2 minutes to allow my eyes to refocus I could tell the difference.

Yeah, focus on things like longer battery life, scratch proof glass, flexible self healing materials, etc.

edit: I know ATT gets a lot of shit here but they really are working their asses off for Windows Phone. $549 is an amazing price for the 1520. They marketed the shit out of the 1020 and while I don't think it was the huge hit they expected ATT still continues to buy exclusive from Nokia. Plus they adjusted the price point for the 1520 accordingly compared to the much higher price of the 1020.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
$449 for a 920 at launch last year was a crazy good deal. I agree, at&t has helped windows phone along more than any other carrier. My local store was basically 1020-land when the phone came out, with huge banners and demo stations. Plus the associates actually knew about the phone and one of them was using it.

AT&T does this, AT&T does that ... yadda yadda yadda. It sounds great and all, but Verizon has the same market share in the US.

wZeq8Yv.png

That's why I'm not really getting the exclusive thing anymore.

hadareud

The Translator
Verizon have a few exclusives too though, to be fair (and soon another one).

But yeah, ideally you'd have all the phones on all the networks. Apparently they don't think that they can compete that way though (without the exclusive marketing).

Verizon have a few exclusives too though, to be fair (and soon another one).

But yeah, ideally you'd have all the phones on all the networks. Apparently they don't think that they can compete that way though (without the exclusive marketing).

They don't have exclusives, they have a variant of the mid-tier device and a flagship phone that AT&T had 3-6 months before them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For the size of phone I like, I have no issues with 720p. I certainly don't need anything higher than 1080p on a phone.

hadareud

The Translator
They don't have exclusives, they have a variant of the mid-tier device and a flagship phone that AT&T had 3-6 months before them.

And now they're getting a flagship device for themselves, before anyone else world-wide.

I agree with you that it's annoying, but frankly, I know far too little about the market and carrier relationships/marketing etc. to say that it's a smart strategy or a shit one.

Karish

I'm sure there will be an update to support that resolution next fall. Another row of tiles!!!!!!

I can't be the only one perfectly happy with 720p, right?. I mean, the jump from 480p to 720p was huge, but everytime I've played with a 1080p phone I'm not really able to see the difference. All the high end phones have gorgeous screens, I fail to see how this is important. My next phone will likely be one of these crazy resolutions, but that's because I only buy high end phones, not because I care.

I just wish I could have more tiles like the 1080p phones. Otherwise I have no issues with 720p

And now they're getting a flagship device for themselves, before anyone else world-wide.

I agree with you that it's annoying, but frankly, I know far too little about the market and carrier relationships/marketing etc. to say that it's a smart strategy or a shit one.

If you're anal about it, I know I am, then you could say that the 929 is nothing more than a smaller international 1520 variant. Same resolution display (but a tad smaller), same internals, Qi build in, shit design. Kinda like the 810 (vs 820) and the 928 (vs 920).

I guess it takes a while before Nokia is in the position to push the exact same phone to all carriers, like the other big players do.

Commodore

Don't understand the whole screen resolution arms race. Why the hell aren't platform holders focused on what really matters? Battery life. That should be the first thing considered with any given feature implemented software or hardware and one of thing most touted features about it being better than their competitors. I need some damn battery wars to happen up in here because it's always a concern when using my phone. Seems so odd to me it's often down the totem pole in priority with these companies. If a platform figures out how to carve out 5+ hours of extra battery life compared, at the expense of having a better resolution screen, I'll go with the extra time, every time. Especially with how much my smart phone does for me these days.

Don't understand the whole screen resolution arms race. Why the hell aren't platform holders focused on what really matters? Battery life. That should be the first thing considered with any given feature implemented software or hardware and one of thing most touted features about it being better than their competitors. I need some damn battery wars to happen up in here because it's always a concern when using my phone. Seems so odd to me it's often down the totem pole in priority with these companies. If a platform figures out how to carve out 5+ hours of extra battery life compared, at the expense of having a better resolution screen, I'll go with the extra time, every time. Especially with how much my smart phone does for me these days.

My guess: Battery tech is the slowest evolving tech in smartphones, that's why OEMs keep pushing other parts more. Every new SoC and other components are always more battery efficient than the previous ones, but the tech that powers them can't seem to keep up.

One big gripe I have with ATT is their removal of Qi from the 1520. I understand that they are supporting the rival tech but this rival tech doesn't even have products out for which ATT can make money on. The Powermat products (using PMA) were a commercial failure and are ugly as sin. Where are the PMA charging plates, chargers, accessories? PMA has partnered with Starbucks but as I mentioned, there isn't even a phone that includes the tech. ATT also lost their WiFi contract with Starbucks, so what the heck. The entire industry is waiting in Apple to choose the standard. Horrible, I hope Nokia and Nexus devices push everyone into Qi and the industry can move forward.

My guess: Battery tech is the slowest evolving tech in smartphones, that's why OEMs keep pushing other parts more. Every new SoC and other components are always more battery efficient than the previous ones, but the tech that powers them can't seem to keep up.

Battery technology is a field that needs a lot of research, and at least the field is definitely getting that research. It simply isn't scaling the same way as transistors. If battery tech has hit an upper bound on efficiency per weight, we'll have to look at alternative transistor design to reduce battery demand.

An interesting consumber-facing article on such research:
http://www.technologyreview.com/new...ors-may-boost-wearable-computer-battery-life/

It's especially stupid because at that screen-size resolution really doesn't matter anymore above 1080p.

They should look at different parts of the display to improve - power draw, colour reproduction, black levels, contrast and refresh rate are all a lot more important imo.

Once they've sorted out the battery usage they can look at upping the resolution.
every single thing you listed has been improving along with resolution.

Other than iOS, battery life has been improving.

G.Newell

Just a question for you guys. My father has tasked me with getting him a new phone and Ive found a good deal on a contract Lumia 925 for £19 . He would mainly use it for standard internet surfing, Facebook along with work etc... so i would normally have looked for a decent budget phone but he was adamant about getting a top end phone for once. So my question is, is the Lumia 925 still a great phone? its not missing any big features is it? I used to follow the Windows phones news but havent kept much in the loop in the past 6 months.

Milchjon

Just a question for you guys. My father has tasked me with getting him a new phone and Ive found a good deal on a contract Lumia 925 for £19 . He would mainly use it for standard internet surfing, Facebook along with work etc... so i would normally have looked for a decent budget phone but he was adamant about getting a top end phone for once. So my question is, is the Lumia 925 still a great phone? its not missing any big features is it? I used to follow the Windows phones news but havent kept much in the loop in the past 6 months.

It's still one of the best Windows Phones. I just got my 920 and really love it, and the 925 is slimmer, lighter and to some people prettier. I also think they improved the camera slightly over the 920. If he likes WP, he should love it.

Unrelated: After using it for a bit, I love Phonly. Other apps may be slightly more efficient and quicker, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for the prettier design.

Also, I just installed my 100th app after about 2 weeks.

hadareud

The Translator

It's still a top of the line device and it will get all future updates. Definitely highly recommended.

G.Newell

It's still one of the best Windows Phones. I just got my 920 and really love it, and the 925 is slimmer, lighter and to some people prettier. I also think they improved the camera slightly over the 920. If he likes WP, he should love it.

Unrelated: After using it for a bit, I love Phonly. Other apps may be slightly more efficient and quicker, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take for the prettier design.

Also, I just installed my 100th app after about 2 weeks.

Well he originally had my old WP7 HTC HD7 so he is familar with the OS and likes it. I wanted one myself originally but the prices in the uk where too much at the start so i went with the S3 for half the price. Hopefully next year will be a good time to jump back.

I got my baby back guys. My 920 is back in my hands.

Something odd though, My Olive background seems darker than I last remember it... also for some reason the glance background pictures keep on flickering between a rainbow color and white... though the text stays as white, the color for nighttime mode is normal also. I'm willing to chop the Darker Olive Background down to maybe dust being in front of the light sensor and was reflecting the light to make it over saturate on the old screen, no clue why the Glance background pictures are acting up though. I'm going to have to wait until its

Tried a soft reset and nada.

Edit:
aaaand. I think I found the problem. The screen has a burn in on it. When on a white background you can see pinkish lines going down the screen, and when on a solid color background (thats not black or white) you can see squares representing my tile layout for the first section of my screen.
Kind of hard to see, but its there. For Glance, it is going between white, green and purple.

Not sure what I should do. I'm thinking that if I play high motion videos it might fix itself by maybe unburning the screen... but I'm not sure if I should just try and bring it back to see if they can replace the LCD again pro bono, or if I should just deal with it and carry the rest of my 2 years with it like this.

:\

Edit 2: Well, I played a video with a bunch of flashy colors and managed to remove the Start Screens Burn-in. Now my problems are the faint purple/pink stripes on a white or red background and also see if I can fix the problem with the center of the screen being darker than the edges of the screen, something I just figured out after messing around with the phone. Basically, the outer walls of the LCD Screen going in about 25 pixels are displaying at a regular brightness and colors (olive on the start screen looks normal when I scroll over a bit) whereas the center is much darker (you can sort of see it on the Wallet photo above).

I'm currently playing a video of a white screen to see if that maybe solve both issues. If not, I'll try playing a checkerboard burn-in video.

Milchjon

I'm still so in love with pinning parts of an app to start. Like instantly starting to tag with Shazam. It's one of the best and most underrated things about WP. Almost 1/4 of my tiles are non-standard pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom