• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Makes sense to me.

There's hundreds of millions of people on Android and iOS, so to ignore that market is stupid. Microsoft are a software company and they need to sell their software - and they also need to make sure that Office isn't gradually replaced by free tools. They're a danger to them, no matter how objectively inferior they are.

And they still can sell the deep integration of Office and Skydrive as a superior solution on Windows and Windows Phone as to not hurt their own platforms.

With Google now arrogant enough to ignore tens of millions of potential customers, Microsoft should not make the same mistake.

Zeknurn

Sounds good to me.

The time Office hasn't been available on competing OSes has made people aware they don't need it, so hampering Office sales on competing devices just to try to sell Windows devices is dumb.

I would be fine if Microsoft decided to kill Bing and sell Xbox if they were to focus on Lumia and Surface instead. The latter two has a future and growth opportunity where as the previous are just money holes. At least Bing now brings value to Windows with its integration.

Gaming side is going to blow up though. They still think Xbox is Microsoft's most successful division.

MCD

I don't mind everyone getting Office, that's fantastic actually.

It's the Bing and Xbox part that worries me. How do they expect to get into the consumer space and devices and services without these two?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind everyone getting Office, that's fantastic actually.

It's the Bing and Xbox part that worries me. How do they expect to get into the consumer space and devices and services without these two?

Exactly. I wanted Elop, bot so sure now. If the rumors are true.

f0lken

Anyone tried this out yet?

There isn't a trial unfortunately.

I have it, it worked pretty well with my mkvs, mp4 with embedded subtitles, and avis. The only downside is that it can't read the videos you have in your default video folder, instead you must add them via wifi inside the app which is slow.

Fjolle

This is honestly the first time I've been REALLY hyped about next gen. It may sound odd and fanboy-ish, but I think all this stuff will make the PS4 feel like it's missing something. Then there's stuff like Fitness, and I think the Kinect has already paid off.

I might be a terrible gamer, but I'm a sucker for gadget stuff like this.

Good thing that none of it will work outside og USA, so i don't have to consider buying it. My economy is tight enough with one console and a PC :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The college hardcore version of me would've bought the ps4. The current family man, casual gamer me will buy the Xbox one sometime next year.

hadareud

The Translator
Good thing that none of it will work outside og USA, so i don't have to consider buying it. My economy is tight enough with one console and a PC :)

Most of it will work though, apart from controlling the cable/sat box.

Pretty confident that in the UK (Sky) that will work too soon enough.

All this functionality is definitely what has me most excited about next gen.

frontieruk

The college hardcore version of me would've bought the ps4. The current family man, casual gamer me will buy the Xbox one sometime next year.

The batshit insane me cancelled my ps4 in order to help finance one of my two r290s, when they start getting sold with custom cooling, my Xbox one order still stands.

(Fiancee has said she'll buy a ps4 for Xmas for me)

Nero3000

Most of it will work though, apart from controlling the cable/sat box.

Pretty confident that in the UK (Sky) that will work too soon enough.

All this functionality is definitely what has me most excited about next gen.

Im not that confident.

They don't have Sky Go, even though they had it on the 360.

Sky are being c***s about their apps on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Sky are very precious about owning everything vertically.

Now it would be ideal, especially since you can control the sky box, set/browse/play recordings via the network in their Sky+ app - so it's very possible to do all this via the Xbox One.

Is a day-zero patch really that big of a deal? Maybe I'm in a cocoon or something, but that thread of gaming side seriously confuses me.

Back on topic: I have great faith in the 'OSGroup' as it goes forward. I'm really excited to see the more cooperative path this company is moving towards, and I agree with the strategy Terry's sort of laid down. Of course I can't talk about it, but a recent email relieved many of my concerns about company direction among others. Can't talk in details at all, because it's not something I can say, but pleased I was. Optimistically, there's a good chance WP will benefit greatly from the reorg. now, the benefits wont be immediate--but I like the strategy

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is a day-zero patch really that big of a deal? Maybe I'm in a cocoon or something, but that thread of gaming side seriously confuses me.

Back on topic: I have great faith in the 'OSGroup' as it goes forward. I'm really excited to see the more cooperative path this company is moving towards, and I agree with the strategy Terry's sort of laid down. Of course I can't talk about it, but a recent email relieved many of my concerns about company direction among others. Can't talk in details at all, because it's not something I can say, but pleased I was. Optimistically, there's a good chance WP will benefit greatly from the reorg. now, the benefits wont be immediate--but I like the strategy

Good to hear.

Like most gaming threads on Gaf it is pretty ridiculous. The DR3 720p thread is particularly dumb imo.

edit: Lastflowers for CEO

f0lken

Is a non-issue even here in Mexico, but I think that MS should give the option to download the patch and burn it into a DVD or an USB stick, that way I could download the patch before I got to the store to pick up my console and when I get home just update it in a matter of minutes, is that not how it works for the 360?

Klocker

ok seriously about to go grab the 4.8" Ativ s Neo from ATT today but before I do...is a 6" 1520 an actual daily driver phone or is it a mini tablet?

never held anything that size. physical specs are reasonable considering screen size but don't know if I could ever use with one hand and or if it is overkill if 75% of my usage is at home where I have a tablet next to me

any opinions?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ok seriously about to go grab the 4.8" Ativ s Neo from ATT today but before I do...is a 6" 1520 an actual daily driver phone or is it a mini tablet?

never held anything that size. physical specs are reasonable considering screen size but don't know if I could ever use with one hand and or if it is overkill if 75% of my usage is at home where I have a tablet next to me

any opinions?

I would go with the 1520 even though I'm not a fan of big phones. If not the 1520 one of the other Lumia's would be a better choice that the Samsung.

Klocker

I would go with the 1520 even though I'm not a fan of big phones. If not the 1520 one of the other Lumia's would be a better choice that the Samsung.

thanks. I may wait until the 22nd if I am not glued to my xbone and compare the 1520 ...will look at 925 as well but I already have an 8x and 925 is not much of an upgrade

what attracted me to the Samsung is extra screen size and the physical windows button on bottom and charger is convenient especially they way I keep it in my the car

edit:
but yes am very intrigued by the 1520 but wish AT&T was getting the 929 5" :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
One of the ways in which I could tell that devs didn't care about the platform was app updates. Every time I picked up my iPad, there would be a ton of updates, but just a few updates to my windows phone apps, like five a week. Now I get app updates every day around 3 pm eastern time. Like clockwork. Six apps today, five yesterday. Still not IOS levels of app updates, but certainly a good sign of a thriving ecosystem with engaged developers.

Exactly. I wanted Elop, bot so sure now. If the rumors are true.

Same way here. And its not because I'm a diehard xbox guy too, My concern over this is more for WIndows Phone. Lets say they get rid of Xbox, That also means they are getting rid of Xbox Music and Xbox Video too. If those go away, then Microsoft has no solution in place to basically sell music or video, something which I always hear from Iphone owners is the deal breaker when it comes to them buying phones.

Now take into account that Apps on WindowsPhone often lag behind the competition, The main thing we fire back with is at least we get quality Xbox games, but by selling off or killing Xbox, then those apps will either soon dry up for good (if those apps end up not being affordable without Microsoft Money), Those apps start going on other platforms (which is a moderate-huge hit on Windows Phones mindshare), and we would almost definitely start getting less of them than we are now. Last but not least, you lose one of your talking points and advantages over your competitors.

It just seems like it would be a huge blow to Windows Phone and WindowsRT. Then we get into the logistics of having less competition in the actual Gaming Market, which although no one wants to admit, less competition is BAD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I suppose they could spin off Xbox then license Xbox live, music, and video for their phones and devices. Immediately becoming the new company's biggest customer.

maeh2k

I'm not familiar with how spinning of a business could work and I'm not sure if it's possible. There's a lot of Windows, Bing, Skype, Azure, and even Microsoft Research (Kinect) in the Xbox (and some XBox, Xbox Music, Xbox Video in Windows/Windows Phone).

However, it might still make sense and it would be interesting seeing Xbox as an independent entity. Even if it goes up in flames.
I don't think Microsoft handled Xbox well. They wanted a way into the living room and get their three screens, but a $500 console doesn't have that reach. They aren't competing with the $100 products from Google, Apple, and soon Amazon. And they lost track of PC gaming and are now getting steamrolled by Valve.

I think Bing is far more important for Microsoft than Xbox and killing it might be a bad idea. Then again, it would also be interesting to have a situation where no one is competing with Google (and then have the EU regulate the shit out of Google).

There's always so much outrage when new revelations about NSA surveillance surface (see Xbox One Kinect, Skype). But most people seem perfectly fine with getting spied on by Google. Now Google is reportedly working on actually tracking people in the real world via phones: "it involves tracking consumers’ smartphone locations all the time, wherever they go, even when they’re not using a Google app."

"Google is beta-testing a program that uses smartphone location data to determine when consumers visit stores, according to agency executives briefed on the program by Google employees. Google then connects these store visits to Google searches conducted on smartphones in an attempt to prove that its mobile ads do, in fact, work."

http://digiday.com/platforms/google-tracking/

Milchjon

WP7 is deader:

“This email is to notify you that in late February, 2014, Xbox will be making an update to our video catalog. This update will allow us to more quickly and efficiently add the highest quality video content to the Xbox Video service.

As a result, beginning in late February 2014, any Xbox Video content you own as of then, will no longer be playable through the Zune PC client, Zune devices, or Windows Phone 7 devices. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

KageMaru

With the launch of the 1520 getting closer, I'm beginning to hate how MS is in bed with AT&T more and more. IMO it would have been smarter to form this relationship with Verizon instead. They are major backers of Android, so I would try to win (or buy) over one of the biggest supporters of the platform.

Who knows, maybe MS did try to form some type of relationship with Verizon and failed. All I know is it's a shame that at&t seem to be getting most of the flagship devices exclusively.

this_guy

Using my Nexus 5, it's nice having Facebook notifications work again and having an app for my credit union. Having used the Lumia 920 for a while, I do think the Windows Phone 8 homescreen/live tiles is my favorite home screen of all the mobile OS's. Also Microsoft's People hub/contact list to me is much better than Android's contact list. I'll keep an eye out for the Next Nokia flagship, and in the mean time I have an HTC 8x as a backup phone and music player.

flippedb

Banned
Something I really hate about WP is having to update every app manually. My old Android used to update everything on its own, now I have to open the store and look for every app to update them.

MCD

Something I really hate about WP is having to update every app manually. My old Android used to update everything on its own, now I have to open the store and look for every app to update them.

Windows 8.1 introduced auto app updates so hopefully the phone team took notice.

NeOak

With the launch of the 1520 getting closer, I'm beginning to hate how MS is in bed with AT&T more and more. IMO it would have been smarter to form this relationship with Verizon instead. They are major backers of Android, so I would try to win (or buy) over one of the biggest supporters of the platform.

Who knows, maybe MS did try to form some type of relationship with Verizon and failed. All I know is it's a shame that at&t seem to be getting most of the flagship devices exclusively.

One word: Kin.

Carriers don't forget. Ever.

Milchjon

what's windows 8.1?

I would guess <10% of the dev team did not work primarily on gdr2 or 3. That isn't to denigrate the engineering work that was done to bring forth new SoCs and enable the 1020. That work was significant

Wait, I'm not sure I'm following. 10% worked on these updates or 90% did?

Totakeke

I'm playing Star Wars Tiny Death Star... well enjoying it actually. Then I find out it's on the Windows app store as well, I download it, find that it works in snap mode (awesome!!)... but there's no saved progress between WP and Win8, sigh. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, does this star wars game assume you've played tiny tower or whatever its called? Cause I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm just randomly pressing the elevator button and whatever other button I see to press.

zedge

This is honestly the first time I've been REALLY hyped about next gen. It may sound odd and fanboy-ish, but I think all this stuff will make the PS4 feel like it's missing something. Then there's stuff like Fitness, and I think the Kinect has already paid off.

I might be a terrible gamer, but I'm a sucker for gadget stuff like this.

Its pretty impressive. I wonder though, regarding the TV stuff, how much of it will be available outside of the US. My gut says very little. Still PS4 for me to begin with. But I do agree with what you''re saying somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom