• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the fact that Twitter actively develops continues to update their app for Windows Phone, if you go to Twitter's website without being logged in, it only shows and links to iOS and Android versions of the app.

You spent time and money (well really just money because Twitter hires a vendor to make their apps) on a product and then don't do simple stuff like put a link to it next to your other versions. Why?

/Random WP app situation rant

I got an Android 4.2 8" tablet, the Lenovo Yoga 8 ($249), as well as the Moga Hero pad. I can give more detailed impressions from a WP fan point of view later if you guys would like. In short, grass isn't greener on the other side. Each platform has their pluses and minuses.

The few sites that gave my WP browser trouble are still troublesome for Chrome mobile.

I am loving Sega's Heritage collection (Jet Set Radio, Virtual Tennis, Crazy Taxi, etc) which give me Dreamcast quality gaming with the Moga. On the downside, games like Madden 25, Fifa 14, Real Racing 3 don't support control pads.

Oh, I miss the ability to pin shit.

I'll probably buy my GF an 8" W8 tablet soon too.

rsRRusB.jpg

Milchjon

If anyone has had a problem with Twitter causing excessive data use, that seems to be fixed now.

Also, I love the way Skydrive looks on Xbone.

Milchjon

I've been wondering about the correct way to spin this article.

Is it "This shows how the culture at the Xbox team has changed from hardcore gamers trying to give other gamers a no-compromise product to businessmen trying to help out their company"?

Or is it "The type of person who didn't see the potential of Xbox Live is the same type of person who can't understand the importance of Xbone's future-focused feature-set".

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
plumbers come over tomorrow :(

loving the 1020

The 1020 is a beast. I picked up a Nexus 7 and I put my full res 1020 shots as the backgrounds. Looks better than the ones I get from play store apps. 1080p screen is gorgeous and the photos just pop with the crazy details only this phone captures.

derFeef

Today someone asked me if I was holding the new iPhone (because blue or something?)
I said heck no, that's a Nokia Lumia.
"a what?"
I was bummed for the rest of the day.
Also was kinda funny... "new".

Klocker

Today someone asked me if I was holding the new iPhone (because blue or something?)
"a what?"

Windows phone doesn't exist for some people

Spent a bit of time in at&t stores this weekend and the "consensus was" that many people don't like windows phone.... yea.... could it be because people in the stores tell people that whenever they start shopping *geez*

Doubtful if most people tried a windows phone that "most" wouldn't like it

Windows Phone is still looked at as the failed Windows Mobile and Nokia is still looked at as the forgotten feature phone maker left behind by Apple and Google.

joshschw

"a what?"

I've been rather surprised how many people have been asking if that's the new Nokia, regarding my 920 lately. No its not new, but I guess the new part is they've been hearing about it. 😃

Milchjon

Some random app thoughts:

Plonk is a wine app that's a perfect example of an app that's quite pretty (and probably kinda useful, I'm not a wine drinker), but is so obviously an iOS app, it's just annoying. Can't use the back button, menu button in the top left corner...

Social Scene is a neat idea, although I guess its functionality is kinda covered by stuff like Foursquare. Basically, you take a pic at a spot, and it gets added to that spot's slideshow. So it's kind of a crowdsourced time-lapse. I feel like it's gonna be killed by a lack of users though...

youmigo is an app that I just signed up for the beta for. It lets you ask questions to users in specific regions. So kind of a cultural discovery app. Gonna see if it works, because I like the idea.

On the one hand, I got some good comments when I pulled out my phone the other day with some coworkers. On the other hand, 90% of the smartphones I see in the courthouse are iPhones, and 100% of the tablets I see are iPads, despite the fact that lawyers could really benefit from a functional Office app.

Milchjon

Rudy thought it was a good idea to add an option to hide sponsored posts from your 6tag feed.

I hope his access is as robust as he always claims. Otherwise I guess we can be happy the official app is coming.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So I am kinda in the market for a new phone. It would need to last at least 2 years. I am thinking the 1020. But that camera is huge. I really want the 929 but I don't think it's ever gonna come to Canada.

Zeknurn

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/2013/...its-next-flagship-lumia-1820-during-mwc-2014/

Lumia 2020 will be the name of Nokia’s rumored 8-inch Tablet. This Tablet will run on Snapdragon 800 and will have a 1080p resolution display. It will be faster and have higher PPI display than Lumia 2520 and will come with stylus support. This Tablet and Nokia’s next imaging flagship Lumia 1820 with metal unibody and Lytro-style camera will be unveiled during MWC in 2014.

I wonder if the 2020 will be the first tablet running Windows Phone. It will be interesting to see.

Milchjon

Intriguing.

Wonder whether the camera is actually Lytro-like or if they're just referring to Refocus. I assume the Lytro's form is not a pure design decision?

MCD

Day one Star Wars is a step in the right direction. Hopefully that will continue.

Rovio been great to WP as of late so yeah, hope it continues.

@Zeknurn

It's Windows RT for sure. Maybe the last RT product Nokia will make before being absorbed by MS.

Zeknurn

Rovio been great to WP as of late so yeah, hope it continues.

@Zeknurn

It's Windows RT for sure. Maybe the last RT product Nokia will make before being absorbed by MS.

How are you so sure about that? WP 8.1 which is set to come in spring 2014 is adding support for 7"-10" screen sizes and there are usually devices to go along with new features in WP.

MCD

How are you so sure about that? WP 8.1 which is set to come in spring 2014 is adding support for 7"-10" screen sizes and there are usually devices to go along with new features in WP.

Because I heard of a Nokia mini tablet running RT before and this seems to match.

And quite honestly, I don't see Nokia making 8 inch WP. I mean, what's the point of RT/Windows 8 then? Actually...I don't think MS even know lol.

Fjolle

Intriguing.

Wonder whether the camera is actually Lytro-like or if they're just referring to Refocus. I assume the Lytro's form is not a pure design decision?

I would guess on some fast mechanical refocusing like the one rumored to be in the Nexus 5 combined with Refocus, or that 16-lens camera they invested in earlier this year.

I've always wondered how hard it is to do location aware profiles on phones? When I'm at home I want different settings on my phone than at home or when I'm out. I'm surprised we don't have that already.

PG2G

I've always wondered how hard it is to do location aware profiles on phones? When I'm at home I want different settings on my phone than at home or when I'm out. I'm surprised we don't have that already.

About as hard as independent volume controls :p Hopefully we get something like that in 8.1. Would be good for battery if stuff like WiFi and Bluetooth could enable/disable on its own.

flippedb

Banned
So Vine will be out today. Will be interesting to compare to 6sec.

Really? Great news. 6sec is weaksauce now. It doesn't have the "Ghost" functionality, which is great when you're trying to do stop-motion. It saddens me that I already pay for unlimited 6sec uploads, but I think I'll be dumping it now.

6tag, on the other side, beats the shit out of any Instagram app out there. I love downloading pictures haha

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Great news. 6sec is weaksauce now. It doesn't have the "Ghost" functionality, which is great when you're trying to do stop-motion. It saddens me that I already pay for unlimited 6sec uploads, but I think I'll be dumping it now.

6tag, on the other side, beats the shit out of any Instagram app out there. I love downloading pictures haha

I just watch Vines, so I will just be comparing the performance of each.

I've been crying for location aware WiFi forever. I would love for my phone to automatically turn my WiFi on when I'm at home or at the office. My old blackberry curve did this 5 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom