• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocker

Att had a 1520 demo in store today got some hands on with it:

Looks huge even compared to the note

Felt great in the hand and lighter than I expected

Was able to fit it in my pocket which surprised my lol

Screen is Gorgeous, extra rows meant lots of room for pins, the screen was full of stuff and only scrolled like half an inch

Made a call in store and it sounded a bit muffled on both ends and both ear and speaker. Disappointed

Actually think I could get used to the size

Was really enjoying that Tiny Death Star game until it freaked out and set my space bux to -184. Being 184 in the hole pretty much makes the game useless now in terms of getting upgrades. And I don't think I can be assed starting again.

Milchjon

So, does this star wars game assume you've played tiny tower or whatever its called? Cause I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm just randomly pressing the elevator button and whatever other button I see to press.

Keep doing those emperor's missions and you should figure it out pretty quickly. I hadn't played Tiny Tower before.

That Xbox UI leaked got me all excited. I love how they limit the right scrolling and keep thing simple, unlike the current Metro on 360.

I am also getting 1520 fir my wife, can't decide on the color. My wife think the yellow charging case I have on my 1020 is too "bright*, but the black look so boring. I am also in love with this Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet. I am skipping iPad retina and ps4, this will be Microsoft Christmas at my house.

I thought about this for a while today and in the end I can't say that I'd really care.

I was never a huge console gamer and I'm even less of a gamer in general these days ("I wiiiiish I had time to play video games"), but everything Microsoft did with the Xbox One was absolutely disappointing for me. From the entertainment focus, to the price, to the lack of games or interesting projects that appeal to me. Don't get me started about 3rd party accessories or DLC policies.

The entertainment angle leaves me completely cold, too. I'm one of those few idiots who own an HTPC that ran Windows Media Center in the past and is running XMBC now. I've only seen the E3 presentation, but that didn't impress me at all. Live TV is completely dead to me (I don't even have a tuner in my apartment) and apps are everywhere else for me, without needing to pay for Xbox Live to access them (and XMBC supports AirPlay, too!). Heck, there's not even a remote for this thing. Are they expecting to conquer the living room with a game pad and voice commands that work only 90% of the time?

Lets assume Microsoft would ditch the Xbox brand, how would it affect the rest of the MS ecosystem? The Xbox app on Windows is a fancy wrapper for all the stuff you can see on Xbox.com. The Xbox Windows games aren't worth mentioning either. Xbox Windows Phone? 3 years going and a complete failure on many levels. Xbox Music+Video? I think most of us would agree that Zune was better in almost every way. Tags worked most of the time, it had a desktop and sync client that was beautiful and it supported video on the phone from the beginning.

What else is there to lose? The living room? I dare to say they don't even own a third of it. Consoles are such a small market. Even in their best quarter, Microsoft still couldn't beat Nokia's Windows Phone shipments of the last quarter or the one before. Now it's not fair to compare them, because of the price difference. But then again, isn't that the point? Microsoft is setting up a $499 box to compete with $99 throwaway boxes like the Roku or Apple TV. Hell, even Sony are better positioned with the Vita TV. The $99 disk-less Xbox 360 should've been a thing, but it's not.

Now this little rant is from my personal perspective and opinion and is obviously not in line with your experience, but really, I wouldn't shed a single tear.

Poor guy that post Xbox One stuff on YouTube got ban. WTF is wrong with your company Lastflower. Do you guys don't like your customer or what? When are you guys going to learn to be consumer friendly company? You can't be Devices and Services focus if you are going to constantly doing this bad PR stuff.

As for rumor of Elop wanting to axe Xbox and Bing, well all I can say then why fucking buy Nokia Phone division if you don't want to be in the business of consumer products. I am not saying Xbox One didn't have a lot of misstep but the 360 is really the only successful consumer product that Microsoft have made in the past 10 years. If he is going to axe Xbox then might as well killed the division that make the big and ugly overpriced Surface now while he is at it. Also just get out of Devices altogether if he only want to focus on successful product and be the enterprise only company. Why get into loosing more money with Windows Phone, Tablet and all the other consumers stuff if they are ready to give up on the only division with successful consumer product.

Poor guy that post Xbox One stuff on YouTube got ban. WTF is wrong with your company Lastflower. Do you guys don't like your customer or what? When are you guys going to learn to be consumer friendly company? You can't be Devices and Services focus if you are going to constantly doing this bad PR stuff.

As for rumor of Elop wanting to axe Xbox and Bing, well all I can say then why fucking buy Nokia Phone division if you don't want to be in the business of consumer products. I am not saying Xbox One didn't have a lot of misstep but the 360 is really the only successful consumer product that Microsoft have made in the past 10 years. If he is going to axe Xbox then might as well killed the division that make the big and ugly overpriced Surface now while he is at it. Also just get out of Devices altogether if he only want to focus on successful product and be the enterprise only company. Why get into loosing more money with Windows Phone, Tablet and all the other consumers stuff if they are ready to give up on the only division with successful consumer product.

M nelson on it

Also, I think the rumors were just to drum up interest to the board. Focusing on Enterprise is a terrible idea. I'm not worried about it at all

Major Nelson said he was going to take care of it.

But that's not the point, is it? Why are they allowing that to happen in the first place? It's Saturday. Someone like Larry should have something better to do than fixing that shit, while GAF has a good laugh with their buddy Yoshida.

PG2G

Who knows. I just don't really see it as a big deal outside of the typical NeoGAF overreactions. The 'consumer rights' activists on the gaming side need to pipe down until there is a real issue.

Honestly, the ban was probably automatic. I assume they have a white-list of approved consoles at this point, and anything else that connects is banned by their automated systems.

zedge

Went to one of the future shops here to see about that trade in. Like 300 people in line snaking around the store..lol. No thanks. They had a x1 kiosk with Forza, looked better than I remember from that tour bus thing. Probably nicer TV.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Went to one of the future shops here to see about that trade in. Like 300 people in line snaking around the store..lol. No thanks. They had a x1 kiosk with Forza, looked better than I remember from that tour bus thing. Probably nicer TV.

I got AC, but had to bail on COD, couldn't handle it anymore, lol.

But that's not the point, is it? Why are they allowing that to happen in the first place? It's Saturday. Someone like Larry should have something better to do than fixing that shit, while GAF has a good laugh with their buddy Yoshida.
According to Major, it was just a console blocked. I am surprised they got handle on this quickly. Of course half of GAF still droned on and on about the evil Microsoft.

Razdek

Banned

I agree with your rant. As for the console ban thing there didn't seem to be a discussion by the Xbox team of "what happens if a user gets a console early and tries to log in"? It's like they were only expecting people to try to log in on the 22nd but like any hardware/software launch there is always some that get it early.

Instead they react like they've never seen this happen before and do what they did which leads to the bad PR even if Major Nelson gets involved. Microsoft seems to be of know how consumers behave and the poor messaging they are putting out. Christ this is not the first time they are launching something.

Totakeke

That Star Wars game started to really bug out on me, kept getting negative bux amounts making the game essentially unplayable. Shelving it until they fix all the bugs.

So, is there any way to change the search button to default to google without changing my search language to Russian? It works but leaves some parts of results in here maps in russian.

Don't think they'd use the button in the first place, but i'm just curious out of convienience and the ability to deflect some tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom