• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, just tried it and it works awesome. I read that the WP8 app wasn't in HD but it looks pretty HD to me on my 920. Go to www.flixter.com to get started. Damn, I just gave away a butt load of my codes.

Come to think about it, you just need to find someone with a flixster account that has uploaded tons of codes. Log in with their account and you're good.

EDIT: flixster also has a DVD to digital promotion where if you own the DVD it will store a digital copy online for you. i just tried it and it worked on 3 of the 5 DVDs i tried. not all movies work and flixster will only give a promo for up to 5 DVDs. after that it's a $2-5 fee.

Maybe we're just awesome so we never got the butt end of the review stick.

That would really suck to be that last guy on the team ...

I ask this in another thread but since you post here a bit and the only person here I know that have Venue Pro 8. I love the device and actually pick up two (one for my wife), however while she like IE11 well enough, the constant enlarging (magnify) of the browser when you touch it really drive her nut. Is there a setting for IE11 touch interface somewhere? I can't find it. It annoys me also but not enough for me to give up Steam and hearthstone. The touch seems really sensitive and webpage often get magnify randomly or swipe back really easy to (though I do love this feature).

Dang it Bing Translator why do you hate Japan? Another update with a bunch of new languages with camera translation supported, and still no Japanese. Even though the app icon uses Japanese.

And really camera translations are muuuuch more useful for Japanese than Norwegian, Russian, Dutch, or any of the other languages that just had camera support added. If you don't know what a Dutch word means it's easy to just type the word and look it up. But if you see a word you don't know in Japanese it could be something like this: 傘 Not only do you not know what it means, you might not even be able to tell how it's pronounced, and thus you can't even type it in to the app to look it up.

Dang it Bing Translator why do you hate Japan? Another update with a bunch of new languages with camera translation supported, and still no Japanese. Even though the app icon uses Japanese.

And really camera translations are muuuuch more useful for Japanese than Norwegian, Russian, Dutch, or any of the other languages that just had camera support added. If you don't know what a Dutch word means it's easy to just type the word and look it up. But if you see a word you don't know in Japanese it could be something like this: 傘 Not only do you not know what it means, you might not even be able to tell how it's pronounced, and thus you can't even type it in to the app to look it up.

One day...One day they will allow Japanese camera and voice support. And when that day comes, I will be using that app daily to get a basic understanding of untranslated japanese media. ..Before that though, dont they still need Japanese map support?

MCD

The last time we saw something Japanese WP related was when Fujitsu launched their WP7 mango phones.

Damn, time sure flies.

hwalker84

The last time we saw something Japanese WP related was when Fujitsu launched their WP7 mango phones.

Damn, time sure flies.
They abandoned the market. No offline translator or camera translation. Here Maps is nonexistent. Gmaps pro is getting me through my Japan trip.

MCD

They abandoned the market. No offline translator or camera translation. Here Maps is nonexistent. Gmaps pro is getting me through my Japan trip.

Be sure to buy a mobile battery! the 3g DoCoMo dongle I carried with me drained my Lumia 920 battery FAST while I was using gmaps pro in Japan.

hwalker84

Be sure to buy a mobile battery! the 3g DoCoMo dongle I carried with me drained my Lumia 920 battery FAST while I was using gmaps pro in Japan.
I have a 10000mah. The pocket WiFi they gave me is ancient. Battery is atrocious. It took me forever to find a mini USB cable in Japan. Found an electronic store similar to a best buy. Found a cable in the playstation section.

MCD

I have a 10000mah. The pocket WiFi they gave me is ancient. Battery is atrocious. It took me forever to find a mini USB cable in Japan. Found an electronic store similar to a best buy. Found a cable in the playstation section.

lmao

You can typically find everything Electronics related in Akihabara or better yet, just find if there is a Yodobashi-Camera nearby. There is one right near Akihabara station.

hwalker84

lmao

You can typically find everything Electronics related in Akihabara or better yet, just find if there is a Yodobashi-Camera nearby. There is one right near Akihabara station.
I found one. They didn't have it. I found it in some store in Nagasaki called Yamada. Damn thing is 3G and the battery last about an hour. Got ripped off at the airport.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm loving my WP8 machine right now.... HTC really kicked it out the park with the 8X.

My one complaint at the moment is the lack of Tinder on Windows Phone.... I have to resort to using my Tab2 to try and initiate sexy time instead (rather do it on my WP).

Vines came out for WP8 today also, cute.

Milchjon

Really hope Rudy doesn't stop updating 6sec, because the lag and inefficient layout is really annoying to me in the official app.

Also, what's the point of live tiles if I can't have more than 15 background tasks. And why does the background task for Facebook not turn on again even though I ticked the box.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Really hope Rudy doesn't stop updating 6sec, because the lag and inefficient layout is really annoying to me in the official app.

Also, what's the point of live tiles if I can't have more than 15 background tasks. And why does the background task for Facebook not turn on again even though I ticked the box.

My facebook app is also a bit wonky.. does the same thing.

It's still a beta build I think... best they got onto making it decent!

Milchjon

Nokia Refocus is out!

My first super-simple attempt

Edit: First impressions:

-Works really well, although you have to be a bit careful about the setup of what you're trying to shoot. The layers have to be rather obvious.
-Sometimes you need to focus on something not as obvious to get the real effect. Like in the pic I shared, I at first didn't realize that it makes a big difference whether I focused on the sky or the building.
-Movement is somewhat noticeable, but not too annoying.
-Facebook sharing works quite well. Good options too.
-I bet the effect is even better on the 1020.

Gonna play around with it a bit today. Might post some in the Pureview thread too.

Milchjon

Now wonder you're so happy to please. If I had that view, I'd be happy about every single tiny positive thing as well. Yikes!

Haha, that's not a good impression, I agree. Looks much worse than it is, it's just framed in a way to work better with the app.

I usually don't have an alarm clock on my balcony's rail either :p

Edit: I am easily pleased, though.

Haha, that's not a good impression, I agree. Looks much worse than it is, it's just framed in a way to work better with the app.

I usually don't have an alarm clock on my balcony's rail either :p

Edit: I am easily pleased, though.

Come on, Jon. It was a joke. :lol You know, because I'm always negative towards everything you do?

Yes, just tried it and it works awesome. I read that the WP8 app wasn't in HD but it looks pretty HD to me on my 920. Go to www.flixter.com to get started. Damn, I just gave away a butt load of my codes.

Come to think about it, you just need to find someone with a flixster account that has uploaded tons of codes. Log in with their account and you're good.

EDIT: flixster also has a DVD to digital promotion where if you own the DVD it will store a digital copy online for you. i just tried it and it worked on 3 of the 5 DVDs i tried. not all movies work and flixster will only give a promo for up to 5 DVDs. after that it's a $2-5 fee.
I have the app and a few movies on the site. I just can't find where to stream them. What am I missing?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's still weird that Nokia has like a million different imaging apps but can't be arsed to add HDR.

Yeah, I was surprised at the lack of HDR actually.

Milchjon

If you look for a developer named Wunderman Polska in the store, they've made a whole bunch of basic utility apps that are in some way supported by Nokia.

They have a stopwatch too.

ElNino

Well, it's... okay, mostly ruined by ads. I'll get this one I guess.
Yeah, it's not a looker and I wish it didn't have the adds either but at least it's functional. It keeps running in the background as well if you need to do something else, not sure if other apps do that or not as this is the only one I've tried.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Asphalt 8 is supposed to be out. It isn't Xbox Live, which isn't a surprise. I guess as long as the games come out. Shame though the WP Xbox games is a shamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom