• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Are any of the asphalt games actually good long-term? I tried the trial of asphalt 7 on my venue 8 pro and couldn't get a feel for whether it would actually be varied enough to be worth a purchase.

I wonder if they'll sell these in Europe, been ages since I've seen a Motorola smartphone in the stores here.

They will and that's the threat.

"Motorola is launching the Moto G in Brazil and parts of Europe today, with availability expected in the coming weeks for the rest of Latin America, Europe, and Canada. The phone will be sold direct from Motorola as well as other carriers in the US in early January, with the 8GB model going for $179 and the 16GB version for $199."

Those prices for a Snapdragon 400 quad-core, 1 GB RAM and a 720p screen are killer. It also comes with a microSD slot.

kharma45

"Motorola is launching the Moto G in Brazil and parts of Europe today, with availability expected in the coming weeks for the rest of Latin America, Europe, and Canada. The phone will be sold direct from Motorola as well as other carriers in the US in early January, with the 8GB model going for $179 and the 16GB version for $199."

Those prices for a Snapdragon 400 quad-core, 1 GB RAM and a 720p screen are killer. It also comes with a microSD slot.

There isn't a MicroSD.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Damn. Hopefully MS and Nokia can match that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The best part of the Moto G announcement was the Verge article stating that this $180 phone competes with Nokia Asha phones and Firefox OS phones.

Do they think the 520 is an Asha phone? Or that Asha phones are generally $200?

In any case, I think the 525 will beat that price, at least in the US, by $50-$60. And in the eyes of budget consumers, which is who these phones are aimed at, that's a world of difference.

Milchjon

I do believe that the Moto G will make a difference. But I hope Nokia doesn't stand still either. And why doesn't it ship with 4.4? Isn't that kinda the point of KitKat?

I also think Nokia should rethink doing a lot of their internal differentiation via resolution.

Edit: Playing around with Refocus a bit, it seems kinda limited. If the different "layers" in the pictures arent obvious, it doesn't even seem to detect them. And then there's the fact that the 920 doesn't seem to be great at Macros anyway.

https://refocus.nokia.com/refocus/9cheoYSkZwlbXmoi

Edit Edit: You can take a look at the layers in your Skydrive. I think it usually only uses like 2 or 3 of them.

MCD

Nokia might have a problem in the US with Moto G but I doubt it's gonna hurt them worldwide.

525 is still coming as well.

All Nokia needs to do in the US is release a version of the similarly priced Lumia 625 to compete with the Moto G. Just remove the LTE antennae and upgrade the screen to 768p.

PG2G

We just need a refresh of the 62X that is spec'd more comparably. I think the relatively limited support in WP8 (in terms of SoC and screen resolution) has caused problems in terms of device differentiation. Hopefully 1080p support and GDR3 has helped a bit and we could see some low end quad core 720p devices soon.

Milchjon

Tapped, a third party Untappd alternative.

It's a bit bare bones, but at least it's a bit more native in its design.

Alas, I'm having problems with errors in both the official app and this one right now. Weird.

Edit:

Haha, from the WPCentral comments:
Untappd has revoked the keys that are used to access their service. It even temporarily took down their own app. Until further notice, Tapped will not work

That didn't last long. Official app seems to be okay now.

Fox Mulder

how much additional space does installing apps require? I want Asphalt 8, which is 819MB, but it's saying I'm out of room when I have 2.41GB's free.

Uh so my data usage tripled last month over what it usually is...

Let me check what it is on Data Sense, oh wait AT&T blocks it for this exact reason, so I have to pay a surcharge.

That Twitter bug still a thing? I guess I'll remove it.

PG2G

Been having so many WP8 issues lately. First my mms issue and now I have WiFi that dies frequently and I have to disable and enable it on the phone to bring it back (Lumia 1020).

I guess its hard reset time?

hwalker84

Been having so many WP8 issues lately. First my mms issue and now I have WiFi that dies frequently and I have to disable and enable it on the phone to bring it back (Lumia 1020).

I guess its hard reset time?
Factory refresh wouldn't even be an issue if only backup and restore actually restored everything as it was. Home screen, App settings, Apps installed on the phone at the time the last backup was taken, game saves, etc. As it stands its still rather pathetic IMO as iOS has had this for how many years now? Hell it took till GDR3 to even be able to select a WIFI network at the beginning of the restore process.

While, in the bitching mood can we get a sync app that's worth a damn?

Now how is Belfiore going to listen to our woes and Internet Explorer's as well?

I believe twitter has fixed the issue.

Thanks

------------

Uh, I just got a "courtesy" text from AT&T saying I've already used over 65% of my data for my period ending 12-02. What is happening with my phone??

This seems like another perfect time to deliver a solid "fuck you AT&T", MS makes an app that would help me find the culprit in 2 seconds and you block that shit. Really losing my patience with them (not that anyone else is going to be any better though).

I also want to say fuck you to AT&T for deliberately making my phone less useful than it should be.

Has anyone gone over their AT&T data limit? Twice now I've gotten to 90% with about a week left in my billing period. Last month I turned off data after getting that warning. This month I did as well, but I still have two days left and there have been some things I had to download from the cellular data connection. Will it tell me as soon as I go over?

Fox Mulder

I also want to say fuck you to AT&T for deliberately making my phone less useful than it should be.

Has anyone gone over their AT&T data limit? Twice now I've gotten to 90% with about a week left in my billing period. Last month I turned off data after getting that warning. This month I did as well, but I still have two days left and there have been some things I had to download from the cellular data connection. Will it tell me as soon as I go over?

I've got text messages for being at 65% after one week into a billing period twice now, but never a follow up.

I have no idea how I'm using so much data.

kazinova

I've got text messages for being at 65% after one week into a billing period twice now, but never a follow up.

I have no idea how I'm using so much data.

I have one day left in my billing cycle and I've used about 6500mb, I have an old school unlimited plan so I basically don't have any internet on my phone. It's slower than Edge at this point.

hwalker84

Fuck AT&T but at least they're not forcing visual voicemail into a separate app like Verizon and up until GDR2 Verizon didn't have group text messaging. ATT is still a big piece of crap for nerfing the 1520.

Now that the Moto G has a fantastic 720p screen at that price, I really hope Microsoft is being forced to put those shitty WVGA panels away. It's 2013, people.

Milchjon

Now that the Moto G has a fantastic 720p screen at that price, I really hope Microsoft is being forced to put those shitty WVGA panels away. It's 2013, people.

At least they're not Jolla:

Its first Sailfish OS device is a mid-range handset with a low-resolution qHD (960 x 540) 4.5-inch display, LTE, an 8-megapixel camera, 16GB of internal storage, and microSD support.

Jolla's phone will be priced at €399 (roughly $535 including sales tax), which is considerably more than similar devices

At least they're not Jolla:

Check out the Lumia 820 in the OP and then remember that they asked €499 for that. WVGA, €499, in 2012.

Also, at least the Sailfish OS on Jolla's phone has multiple profiles you can access quickly. It's not location aware, but does what I mentioned yesterday. :p

Milchjon

Check out the Lumia 820 in the OP and then remember that they asked €499 for that. WVGA, €499, in 2012.

Also, at least the Sailfish OS on Jolla's phone has multiple profiles you can access quickly. It's not location aware, but does what I mentioned yesterday. :p

So many options to ditch WP. I'm so overwhelmed, I might as well leave phones behind altogether and become a monk.

PG2G

Thank god for the HERE Drive update with real time traffic. Using LiveSight to find your car is a little cool also.

PG2G

Curious whether it actually uses traffic to determine the route though. Seems like the traffic stuff loads up after the route is already determined.

If it doesn't it still needs some work lol

920 can be had for 249€ now. At the same time the 1020 is around 609€, the 625 at 222€.

Weird price structure.

You're still comparing prices of new products vs old products? €249 for the 920 is not the official MSRP from Nokia. Of course the price of older products come down over time. A new Galaxy S3 is probably cheaper than a Galaxy S4 mini.

Milchjon

Curious whether it actually uses traffic to determine the route though. Seems like the traffic stuff loads up after the route is already determined.

If it doesn't it still needs some work lol

Reading between the lines in the update notes...

•Real-time traffic feature tells you about traffic conditions on your route
•Turn-by-turn directions list provides route overview
•Traffic-aware ETA gives you precise arrival times
•Traffic feature in all map views gives at-a-glance traffic overview for your area
•Find your parked car easily using maps or LiveSight

Doesn't actually sound like it.

Also, are the options for alternate routes still as limited?

You're still comparing prices of new products vs old products? €249 for the 920 is not the official MSRP from Nokia. Of course the price of older products come down over time. A new Galaxy S3 is probably cheaper than a Galaxy S4 mini.

Of course.

But looking at it from my perspective as a consumer who's looking at it from a price/value point of view...

Of course.

But looking at it from my perspective as a consumer who's looking at it from a price/value point of view...

Sure, but it's still not comparable. When the 925 came out, it was €619, while the 920 came down to 350-390 already. Few months later and the 920 is 250, while the 925 is 350. Also, be cautious about buying products that are about to get EoL'd. The support duration of the device counts from the moment they start selling them, not from the moment you buy them. If you buy it late, be prepared to get dropped sooner than you might think. *glares at my Galaxy Nexus*

Milchjon

Oh I have no illusions about this phone lasting me less long. But I think I prefer cheaper and higher turnover at this point simply because of that new (old) phone smell.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Because of android-led cold war on specs, there has never been a better time to buy an off contract phone. Multi core, HD screened beasts from a year ago are dirt cheap on eBay, then you have stuff like the Nexus 5.

The 8x, which has been getting the base platform updates very rapidly, is stupid-cheap online. I think I'll pick one up for my mom to replace her Lumia 900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom