• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to a football game on Sunday and it will probably be around -15, -20 Celsius. Wonder how my phone will cope at that temp?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Finns probably designed around cold weather, lol. They were among the first to use that screen tech that operates with gloves, after all.

maeh2k

You're still comparing prices of new products vs old products? €249 for the 920 is not the official MSRP from Nokia. Of course the price of older products come down over time. A new Galaxy S3 is probably cheaper than a Galaxy S4 mini.

Doesn't really matter. There's nothing wrong with comparing one of last year's high-end phones with this year's mid-range lineup. The 920 at that price is a very good alternative to the Moto G, regardless of when either was released. Better camera, more memory.
And looking at Android, the 920 just might get official software support for a longer time than the Moto. The G doesn't launch with 4.4.

Valus

So I'm looking to upgrade to a smart phone for the first time and my friend suggested the Lumia 1020. Is it user/smartphone noob friendly? Which carrier has the best service/price for it? I'm in SoCal if that matters.

I was checking out AT&T's data plans but honestly I don't know how much data I would use in a month...can you guys give some tips?

AT&T was selling the phone with a two year plan at $199 but Amazon is selling it for $149 it seems? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to be asking these questions! If not, please direct me to the right place if there is any, and thanks in advance.

Milchjon

So I'm looking to upgrade to a smart phone for the first time and my friend suggested the Lumia 1020. Is it user/smartphone noob friendly? Which carrier has the best service/price for it? I'm in SoCal if that matters.

Windows Phone is definitely user friendly (with some quirks). Lots to love there. If this is your first smartphone, your mind would be blown either way ;-)

Can't help you with the contract stuff though.

Flipboard just arrived on Windows 8. Can only mean months til we get it on WP:

KageMaru

I was checking out AT&T's data plans but honestly I don't know how much data I would use in a month...can you guys give some tips?

AT&T was selling the phone with a two year plan at $199 but Amazon is selling it for $149 it seems? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to be asking these questions! If not, please direct me to the right place if there is any, and thanks in advance.

Even though I had experience with other smartphones, Windows Phone 7 was the first smartphone I owned. Moving to Windows Phone 8 was a huge improvement. Very elegant and efficient design.

Milchjon

@evleaks ‏@evleaks 30m
Besides Goldfinger/3D Touch, two more 8.1 handsets from Nokia: one featuring a Siri-like assistant, plus a new imaging flagship.

Uh, what...

I hope he mixed something up there and they're not really making 3 phones with distinct features to choose from. I'd assume Cortana is part of 8.1 and not exclusive to one device?

Uh, what...

I hope he mixed something up there and they're not really making 3 phones with distinct features to choose from. I'd assume Cortana is part of 8.1 and not exclusive to one device?

Cortana is a fictional artificially intelligent (AI) character in the Halo video game series. Voiced by Jen Taylor, she appears in Halo: Combat Evolved and its sequels, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4. She also appears in a cutscene and the epilogue of the prequel Halo: Reach, and several of the franchise's novels and comics.

MCD

Cortana is a fictional artificially intelligent (AI) character in the Halo video game series. Voiced by Jen Taylor, she appears in Halo: Combat Evolved and its sequels, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4. She also appears in a cutscene and the epilogue of the prequel Halo: Reach, and several of the franchise's novels and comics.

So she appears on every phone.

Thanks.

Milchjon

ElevenStickingTongue.gif

dLMN8R

Does anyone have advice for taking pics with the Lumia 920 of sunsets and other times when the sun is behind the object in question? Using ProCam all I can figure out how to do is make the entire picture brighter or darker, vs. my iPod Touch which simply automatically adjusts without issue. Even without HDR.

NeOak

Shiiiieeet. Is that like...the upgrade to 1020? Is it going to be awesome?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124551-nokia-lumia-1520-vs-lumia-1020-what-s-the-difference

Be aware that the neither the 1020 nor the 1520 for AT&T feature Qi wireless charging out of the Box

1520 has microSD card slot, but AT&T nerfed the internal storage to 16GB.
1020 has 32GB but no microSD card slot.

Edit: and a hands on http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/23/hands_on_nokias_phirst_phondleslab/

When are we getting an event that talks about upcoming OS stuff anyway. Feels like ages since we had something like that.

turns out WP got cancelled. Everyone is now moving into the Xbox org. Xbox and Bing are the only two orgs at MS now, everything else we're selling to Google.

Totakeke

turns out WP got cancelled. Everyone is now moving into the Xbox org. Xbox and Bing are the only two orgs at MS now, everything else we're selling to Google.

I think the first sentence is good enough to get Verge going man.

"Microsoft insider leaks that Windows Phone development has been cancelled."

Valus

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124551-nokia-lumia-1520-vs-lumia-1020-what-s-the-difference

Be aware that the neither the 1020 nor the 1520 for AT&T feature Qi wireless charging out of the Box

1520 has microSD card slot, but AT&T nerfed the internal storage to 16GB.
1020 has 32GB but no microSD card slot.

Edit: and a hands on http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/23/hands_on_nokias_phirst_phondleslab/

It sounds pretty amazing. My only concern is the screen size though...it looks pretty damn big. Also, I have no idea what you mean by the Qi wireless charging...I'm using one of these right now:

sanyo_scp6600b_sprint_z1.jpg

So I really don't know squat about these current phones.

dLMN8R

Has anyone had experience with longer-term faulty device exchanges with AT&T?

My wife's 920 was purchased 2nd-hand. We have the original receipt and the device is correctly applied to our account. It's still under warranty, the original purchase was made earlier this year.

It has a few problems, like the microphone not working for voice recognition or voice notes (phone calls work fine), and the gyroscope doesn't work for rotation. Do you think we'll be able to just walk in and get a replacement?

It sounds pretty amazing. My only concern is the screen size though...it looks pretty damn big. Also, I have no idea what you mean by the Qi wireless charging...I'm using one of these right now:

So I really don't know squat about these current phones.

Alright, so QI is a wireless charging standard. Wireless charging, also known as inductive charging is basically charging your phone without cables. The way it works is you buy a QI Compliant charging device (like the Nokia Wireless Charging Pad or Wireless charging) and all you do to charge your phone is place it on the charging device.

Keep in mind The 1520 with AT&T doesn't come with Wireless Charging (they removed it). The 1020 with AT&T has Wireless Charging, but you need a Wireless Charging Cover to use it. The 920 has Wireless Charging Built in.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWL7y4qZZ6Y

Shiiiieeet. Is that like...the upgrade to 1020? Is it going to be awesome?
The Lumia 1520 is Nokia's Windows Phone Phablet (Phone with the size of a tablet). If you want to look at specs comparisons between the 920, 1020 and 1520 here you go.

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/7398/7207/6082

Basically for the high end Lumia Models, you have:
the 1520 has a 1080p screen, its camera is 20mp. Its screen is 6"
The 1020 has a 720p screen but its camera is 41mp. Its screen is 4.5"
The 920 has a 720p screen, its camera is 8.7mp and its screen is 4.5"

Other than what I have said though, I'm not sure how else AT&T has customized the two phones.

KageMaru

IF any of the rumors are true, it would be awesome if Jen Taylor was the voice. I'm sure that alone would sell a few phones.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Telus has the 1020 for $100 on a 2 year contract.

edit: also in the States if you get a 925 or 1020 with AT&T you can get the 2520 tablet for $200!

Guys my 8x got stuck in a infinite boot loop. It does nothing but splash the HTC screen. So I hit up HTC and they are going to try to repair it. So now im on my hd7 again, WiFi only till I get the right sim card. This phone has no new apps that are on wp8. Should I go get a nl521 to hold over? Hmmmmmm its only $99... ?

Totakeke

Guys my 8x got stuck in a infinite boot loop. It does nothing but splash the HTC screen. So I hit up HTC and they are going to try to repair it. So now im on my hd7 again, WiFi only till I get the right sim card. This phone has no new apps that are on wp8. Should I go get a nl521 to hold over? Hmmmmmm its only $99... ?

Try the hard reset first.

Milchjon

That quote is confusing the fuck out of me.

It's clipped, there were two other features mentioned that actually came with WP8 or GDR3.

It's just that depending on your definition, WP either still doesn't do true multitasking, or the Verge is once again talking out of their ass since the current form of multitasking has been in there much longer.

But nevermind, Gaming taught me today that The Verge is shilling for MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom