• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is any regular or lurker in this thread planning to get a 1520?

Considering it depending on how it feels in my hand. Using an Xperia Z1 at the moment and that is about the right size, but never tested a bigger phone.

Hoping they release a smaller version with same specs.

kharma45

I could be tempted by it. Would need to see it in real life first, I'm scared to go to that size.

Considering it depending on how it feels in my hand. Using an Xperia Z1 at the moment and that is about the right size, but never tested a bigger phone.

Hoping they release a smaller version with same specs.

They have
on Verizon

Klocker

Is any regular or lurker in this thread planning to get a 1520?

I was and went and held one and it's... beautiful

Call quality was suspect and it is huge especially with the square corners. Fit in my pocket though.

Thinking of it for my GF so she can carry in her purse and I can play with it. ;)

If i didn't already have a new tablet Id probably have gotten it

f0lken

I was considering importing it for Christmas, but my contract expires in 2 weeks so I will get the 41mp godphone

I quote myself, today and until monday we have here something called "El buen fin" which is a pretty bad atempt of creating a Black Friday, anyway I received a SMS saying that there are plenty of discounts and offers if I renew my plan these days so I went all excited because I wanted my 1020 only to discover that I would have to pay the equivalent to $550 USD on a 24 months contract in one of the most expensive plans they have -__________-

So here is my plan, the Galaxy Note 3 is free on the same plan I have right now and on 18 months, I will get that and will trade it online for the Lumia 1020. What do you think?

EDIT: I have a HTC One X for my android needs, and even though I always liked the Note (had the previous 1 and 2) I prefer WP. Maybe I could exchange it for a 1520 but that is not available here and maybe won't soon

I could be tempted by it. Would need to see it in real life first, I'm scared to go to that size.

They have
on Verizon

I was going to get it for my wife but she told me it's way too big. (It's really big, it looks bigger than the Note). So I think I will get 925 for her, she really need to upgrade from that HTC Titan. I am debating if I want to get Lumia Tablet with it for $199.99.

My wife didn't like the browser on the Dell Venue Pro 8 (Microsoft need to fix the touch function on that IE or make you have option, it's way too sensitive). I don't know if it's only on the small tablet and wondering if the Lumia RT might be fine. Anyway, I think she will most likely be happier with iPad Air and all her friends and family is using iPad.

kharma45

I was going to get it for my wife but she told me it's way to big. (It's really big, it looks bigger than the Note). So I think I will get 925 for her, she really need to upgrade from that HTC Titan. I am debating if I want to get Lumia Tablet with it for $199.99.

My wife didn't like the browser on the Dell Venue Pro 8 (Microsoft need to fix the touch function on that IE or make you have option, it's way too sensitive). I don't know if it's only on the small tablet and wondering if the Lumia RT might be fine. Anyway, I think she will most likely be happier with iPad Air and all her friends and family is using iPad.

It doesn't just look bigger than the Note 3, it is bigger and it was already probably too big for me :\

nokia-lumia-1520-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-3-2.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So here is my plan, the Galaxy Note 3 is free on the same plan I have right now and on 18 months, I will get that and will trade it online for the Lumia 1020. What do you think?

That's what I would do in your situation. I have a one x too and I dislike it so much. Now I use a n7 for android, much better experience. You will not be disappointed in the 1020 if you take enjoy taking pictures at all.

f0lken

That's what I would do in your situation. I have a one x too and I dislike it so much. Now I use a n7 for android, much better experience. You will not be disappointed in the 1020 if you take enjoy taking pictures at all.

The only thing that makes me cautious is that by now the Lumia 1020 should be cheaper than the Note with the 1520 around the corner, but yeah, I think I will do that :D

MCD

Ballmer new interviews are really sad. Dude really didn't want to leave but he knew that things will never change with him at the helm and so retired.

Here is hoping they pick Ford's boss because he was the one behind the One Microsoft plan, according to the interviews.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The only thing that makes me cautious is that by now the Lumia 1020 should be cheaper than the Note with the 1520 around the corner, but yeah, I think I will do that :D

Maybe you can sell the note 3 and make a small profit even after you buy the 1020. Use that for the camera grip.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You are my brother from another mother, apparently. I want the 1520, but I can't let this camera go. I just can't do it. The 8.1 pureview next year should do the trick.

Klocker

Man gotta go handle that 1520 again... as big ass as it is I can not stop thinking about it lol

But the verizon 929 5" would seem perfect and still be able to use one handed

Guys s there anyway to force mobile site on IE on tablet? I wanna use mobile GAF and stuff without having to go to the mobile site like android and iOS.

How is the 520? I'm going to pick up a secondary phone for work and put it on StraightTalk or something. I just need something that can handle exchange emails, calls/texts, FB and a couple other social networking apps, and really that's about it. It seems like a good fit and I want to stay on GSM. My N5 is on Tmobile $30 prepaid and I'd like something on an ATT supported network for some coverage contrast I guess.

My primary personal phone is going to be a Nexus 5, so that would be doing the heavy lifting as far as other things.

Milchjon

Soooo...

The cheapest well-reviewed Qi charger on Amazon is 28€, for some no name shit.

The pretty Nokia plates are 40€. Now I'm struggling to decide.

Any experiences with different plates?

f0lken

I think its a must have accessory. Extra battery, improved camera ergonomics, better shutter button, and tripod mount.

If you use your 1020 to take pictures often then it's well worth the money. Sometimes I just use it as battery charger. : P

Thanks! I managed to contact a guy who has a 1020 with the camera grip and the wireless charging cover :D

Shame is all black (wanted yellow) but I already don't like my brand new Note 3 lol

Soooo...

The cheapest well-reviewed Qi charger on Amazon is 28€, for some no name shit.

The pretty Nokia plates are 40€. Now I'm struggling to decide.

Any experiences with different plates?

I got a cheap no name plate from ebay for around 20 bucks. I've been using it on my nightstand and it has been working fine since I got it. Now, before you make some brain damage jokes, I'm pretty sure my brain was damaged already and it's not the charging plate's fault.

I've seen a different no name plate for as low as 13 bucks, shipping from China and I'm thinking about getting that one for my desk.

e: Actually, there are some smaller, even slightly colorful designed plates on ebay. I'd love to get one of these, but I'd imagine it would be hard to position the phone correctly on them.

jpmZSgv.jpg

Milchjon

Well, my own damaged brain already decided to simply go for a yellow original.

And I'll also put it on the nightstand.

Edit:

Didn't know Thurrott was such a hater. From his PS4 impressions:

"Sony is Sony. Does anyone really trust this company to get anything right? They're like the Blackberry of the consumer electronics world. Sorry, PlayStation fans."

He then goes on to describe his problems with setting up the PS4.

maeh2k

So the phone they are going to sell in Europe for 800 Euros (off-contract) is going to launch on AT&T for $99 (on-contract)? Well, maybe this way they can at least sell a couple.

Instead of making giant, overpriced phones, Nokia really should have had a 920 successor this holiday season. 6" is too big for most and there's no Windows Phone equivalent of the HTC One or the GS4.
Unless someone is looking for a very cheap phone (520), a very big/expensive phone (1520), or a phone with the best possible camera (1020), I don't think I could recommend a Windows Phone right now.
With the Moto G, the Nexus 5, and the HTC One the current crop of Android phones is just too good.

I thought I had a chance to convert my aunt (whose contract will be up around December, and who wants a bigger screen than her iPhone S4's) to Windows Phone, but the way things look right now I'll have to recommend an Android Phone.

So the phone they are going to sell in Europe for 800 Euros (off-contract) is going to launch on AT&T for $99 (on-contract)? Well, maybe this way they can at least sell a couple.

Instead of making giant, overpriced phones, Nokia really should have had a 920 successor this holiday season. 6" is too big for most and there's no Windows Phone equivalent of the HTC One or the GS4.
Unless someone is looking for a very cheap phone (520), a very big/expensive phone (1520), or a phone with the best possible camera (1020), I don't think I could recommend a Windows Phone right now.
With the Moto G, the Nexus 5, and the HTC One the current crop of Android phones is just too good.

I thought I had a chance to convert my aunt (whose contract will be up around December, and who wants a bigger screen than her iPhone S4's) to Windows Phone, but the way things look right now I'll have to recommend an Android Phone.

If you keep being so down on everything Microsoft, I'm going to need a new job.

MCD

920 successor can't come without WP8.1, me think.

MCD

Lastflowers, what the hell did you guys do to maeh? Dude's been on fire!

Can't blame him. MS just isn't doing enough.

8.1 is still not enough and they didn't do any price sales to promote it this time around, because it's a free upgrade. Meh.

WP8.1 is whenever next year and Xbox is launching at a higher price than their competitor and less GPU juice. Now, I don't mind the less power but everyday, I keep reading about a new game or a port that will land on PC and PS4 with X1 nowhere to be seen. It reminds me of the 360 days where every dev on earth flocked to it.

And there is Surface. Solid product but poor app ecosystem for RT makes it a non buy. Sadly, Flipboard, Facebook and twitter are not enough.

Milchjon

The funny thing about MS is that 3 years ago they had a single product that appealed to me (Xbox).

Now they have like 5 or more and everyone's all doom and gloom. I'm weird :'(

MCD

The funny thing about MS is that 3 years ago they had a single product that appealed to me (Xbox).

Now they have like 5 or more and everyone's all doom and gloom. I'm weird :'(

Hey, I'm totally in MS ecosystem, like exclusively. I love their products and use them everyday but it's frustrating seeing them move so slow. I mean, WP8.1 getting delayed to next year is bullshit.

That's just how I see it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS is still the only one that got the keyboard typing sounds, right. They sound like crap on android. That's got to count for something, right?

Milchjon

I so wanna try the Xbone.

I can afford either the console or stuff that I desperately need, like shoes, trips to visit friends, furniture...

And at some point during the last few weeks, that actually turned into a hard decision.

Kinect controlled IE has more power over me than any next gen game :'(

this_guy

I think I'll make Van proud - I'm going to return my Nexus 5 and go back to Windows Phone. This is what I posted in the Nexus 5 thread -

So I've had the phone for about 10 days now, and I like it, but I don't think I'm going to keep it. Battery life can get me through the day but it's not great battery life, and the camera is capable of taking great pics at times but I feel it's a downgrade from the Nokia Lumia 920 I had. Actually, the best shots from the Nexus 5 camera are about on par with the best shots from the Lumia 920, but it's easier to get those shots from the Lumia. The Nexus sometimes has issues with focusing. I was hoping for an upgrade from at least one of those two areas.

Other than that, the performance is super fast and I haven't seen hiccups anywhere (I also have ART enabled instead of Dalvik).

The Nexus was faster in web browsing than the Nokia, but I didn't have any issues with performance with the Nokia.

I found a Nokia Lumia 925 on Craigslist today for $200 new in box and couldn't pass it up. It'll be a slight upgrade from the 920 which I just sold last week, but it's a slight upgrade in both the camera and battery life while being thinner and more comfortable to hold. Plus at the price I got it for, in 6 months or so when the true upgrade to the 920 comes out I can sell my 925 for close to what I bought it for (and returning the Nexus 5 means I'm getting back around $375 or so). If the upgrade to the 920 has at least the camera in the Lumia 1520 and a bigger battery I'll be more than content with that. (I know the Lumia 1020's camera is still better, but I wish they would have increased the battery size to go along with the increased thickness versus the 925. Also it seems reviews mention it's slow to take pictures because Nokia had to work with Qualcomm to rewrite the image processor to be able to handle that many pixels.)

MS is still the only one that got the keyboard typing sounds, right. They sound like crap on android. That's got to count for something, right?

You should try Samsung and touchwiz. .Bloop bloop

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If I could find a 925 for $200, I'd buy it for my mom. The only high end windows phone for that price online that I can find is the 8x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom