• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

I also want to say fuck you to AT&T for deliberately making my phone less useful than it should be.

Has anyone gone over their AT&T data limit? Twice now I've gotten to 90% with about a week left in my billing period. Last month I turned off data after getting that warning. This month I did as well, but I still have two days left and there have been some things I had to download from the cellular data connection. Will it tell me as soon as I go over?

I just got the text for exceeding my 3GBs.

I'm going to have to figure out what is fucking my data. Got the first text for 65% on the 7th, 90% on the 14th, and 100% today. Still have a week to go before the billing cycle ends. I am doing nothing different than when I was unlimited on Verizon and never really exceeded 2GB's a month.

KageMaru

So the phone they are going to sell in Europe for 800 Euros (off-contract) is going to launch on AT&T for $99 (on-contract)? Well, maybe this way they can at least sell a couple.

Instead of making giant, overpriced phones, Nokia really should have had a 920 successor this holiday season. 6" is too big for most and there's no Windows Phone equivalent of the HTC One or the GS4.
Unless someone is looking for a very cheap phone (520), a very big/expensive phone (1520), or a phone with the best possible camera (1020), I don't think I could recommend a Windows Phone right now.
With the Moto G, the Nexus 5, and the HTC One the current crop of Android phones is just too good.

I thought I had a chance to convert my aunt (whose contract will be up around December, and who wants a bigger screen than her iPhone S4's) to Windows Phone, but the way things look right now I'll have to recommend an Android Phone.

The 929 is the 92X successor IMO, at least for this year. Same specs as the 1520 but on a 5" screen. Kind of wish I waited for the release.

I just got the text for exceeding my 3GBs.

I'm going to have to figure out what is fucking my data. Got the first text for 65% on the 7th, 90% on the 14th, and 100% today. Still have a week to go before the billing cycle ends. I am doing nothing different than when I was unlimited on Verizon and never really exceeded 2GB's a month.

Yeah I got a text for 90% today. I'm going to go over my limit two months in a row after never getting more than 50% of my limit prior.

Of course I'm on AT&T, so I don't have the ability to see what's actually using all my data.

My parents ended up switching to tmobile and Lumia 521s this past weekend in an effort to halve our wireless bill, and aside from a small learning curve in getting the hang of the OS its been a positive experience so far. Thankfully the only important apps they used on their iPhones are available.

After spending a few days playing with the phone, I think the interface is nice to use and good looking. I still don't think I could use one as a daily driver due to a lack of gapless playback in music and absolutely no way to tether unofficially. I don't use a lot of apps but I do use those 2 features enough that it would be a bit unpleasant.

I would also say the lack of a pentaband Lumia 1020 with a US warranty is a big downer as well. Even if I were to import one from canada, there's a history of issues with tethering on t-mobile even when you pay for tethering.

Is there a technical reason nobody has created an alternate music player app that supports gapless, or is this just a casualty of the "wp has no apps" syndrome?

Milchjon

I guess I never realized how different Android fans are until I read the Moto G thread where processors seem to be the only feature worth discussing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is there a technical reason nobody has created an alternate music player app that supports gapless, or is this just a casualty of the "wp has no apps" syndrome?

Its probably that not enough people care about that feature. A quick search just now on the market turned up an app called subsonic that advertises hapless playback. There is a trial but I didn't download it.....cause I don't care about that feature. :p

10 minute hands on with the 1520

I think using colors to create rows like he did helps dealing with the column mess.
Called it an extra row...
Three columns is wonderful if you like double-wide tiles like I do. It really brings out the mail, Family Room, and Bing *app* tiles. I used a small grouping of 4 small tiles, and the rest were normal tiles and double-wide tiles...and I really really liked it.
Yeah that's where I see the advantage to it. I don't really use wide tiles on the current setup because it just takes up so much space on the screen, but with the extra column I think I would use them.

frontieruk

They also apparently seem to have some weird priorities ;-)

If they can't have 15 different roms that all have flaws in but make small improvements to different benchmarks they don't care, user experience be damned its benches that count, kinda like computing back in the 90's the os is bloating to allow venders to pack in bigger hardware to sell high end equipment as the low end up till now has run like a lame horse.

Tiny Death Star gets yet another update and still the bux bug persists! Makes the game unplayable.

What sort of bug is affecting the game? I've been playing a week and have not encountered anything out of the ordinary.

I've even bought several credit packs & specials to fully upgrade the elevators. (Right at 20 real world dollars).

kharma45

There is a bug where it sets your Imperial Bux to negative values. Thankfully I'm free of that one, my major problem with the game is it's just a bit boring.

What sort of bug is affecting the game? I've been playing a week and have not encountered anything out of the ordinary.

I've even bought several credit packs & specials to fully upgrade the elevators. (Right at 20 real world dollars).
Any time you select a level to build, if you select a specific room it charges you one buck. When you return to the game it's down to -58. I've restarted a few times and it always happens. The first time I got the bug I'm not sure how it happened, but the game put me down to -350!

PG2G

I am at negative bucks on Tiny Towers too. Not gonna bother playing anymore, game is a complete waste of time too. Not even in a fun way lol

Well, colour me surprised. Im sitting here listening to Big B Radio (JPOP station) on my computer, and wanting to know the song, I instinctively picked up my phone, hit up Bing Music Search and it came back with the correct Song, Album, Artist and Album Picture. Only thing to make it better would be if the song was in the store to download :p

I am at negative bucks on Tiny Towers too. Not gonna bother playing anymore, game is a complete waste of time too. Not even in a fun way lol
I've not played it long enough to get bored because every time I restart I hit the bug and quite. Decided to uninstall it.

hwalker84

I'm about to throw the 1020 against the wall right now. I'm in Japan and the 1020 is my camera. Today after the Nokia camera update my phone rebooted in mid picture and deleted EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I had a backup from before but everything I took today around 100 pictures is completely gone. Fuck you Nokia/and or Microsoft! Just for shuts and giggles I took a few more photos. Rebooted and they're gone too.

I'm about to throw the 1020 against the wall right now. I'm in Japan and the 1020 is my camera. Today after the Nokia camera update my phone rebooted in mid picture and deleted EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I had a backup from before but everything I took today around 100 pictures is completely gone. Fuck you Nokia/and or Microsoft! Just for shuts and giggles I took a few more photos. Rebooted and they're gone too.

Wtf. This is horrible. My best suggestion is to uninstall the Nokia Camera if you can, or 'Reset My Phone'. Regardless, this is super shifty and should never happen.

hwalker84

Wtf. This is horrible. My best suggestion is to uninstall the Nokia Camera if you can, or 'Reset My Phone'. Regardless, this is super shifty and should never happen.
I'm antennagate levels of angry right now. If these pictures aren't secretly on this phone I don't know what I'm going to do. You don't fuck with my once in a lifetime vacation.

flippedb

Banned

Do you sync with skydrive?

hwalker84

Can you hook it up to a PC? Maybe they are in there hidden?

Really sorry to hear about that.
Not until I get back to my room. Its about 1 1/2 hrs to get here from Osaka. I won't know until later tonight. If they're not I don't know what I'll do. If you see me uploading a 1020 can it blend video you'll know what happened.

joshschw

I definitely lost a few pics I had taken of things at sams club, so no big deal, the other day. The pics were simply not there later that night when I went to check them on PC.... so his issue is not isolated. Certainly there is a problem with the Nokia cam app.

Edit. On 920

Paganmoon

I've loved my Lumia 1020 camera, think the pictures turn out great on it. So, recently handed it over to my sister, who's a camera-geek, and she played around with all the settings, and took some fantastic shots, she was mightily impressed (and so was I since, I've had everything set to auto before).
But now I feel like I have to play with all settings before grabbing a shot, miss just point and clicking.

Anyway, so how do you guys use it mostly? Do you play around with the iso and shutter settings much or just point and click?

hwalker84

I've loved my Lumia 1020 camera, think the pictures turn out great on it. So, recently handed it over to my sister, who's a camera-geek, and she played around with all the settings, and took some fantastic shots, she was mightily impressed (and so was I since, I've had everything set to auto before).
But now I feel like I have to play with all settings before grabbing a shot, miss just point and clicking.

Anyway, so how do you guys use it mostly? Do you play around with the iso and shutter settings much or just point and click?
I generally keep it on auto and change the flash settings. I generally am aware of the lighting conditions and how auto will probably work.

hwalker84

THEY WERE STILL ON THE PHONE THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!

For some reason in the windows phone transfer app wouldn't copy them. Had to do it manually. Still messed me up as towards the end I was so pissed I didn't take a few shots because I was trying to figure out a way to come back in a few days. Nowhere near as bad as it could've been.

Verge Lumia 1520 review.

Good Stuff

Screen is beautiful
Solid build quality
Speedy performance

Bad Stuff

Windows Phone doesn’t take advantage of the big screen
No way to buy or rent video to watch offline yet
Slow camera

The Lumia 1520 is a prime example of when bigger isn't always better

When Nokia and Microsoft decided to go big with the Lumia 1520, they indeed did in some respects. The new display is tremendous and the faster processor makes the 1520 the speediest Windows Phone around. But the compromises you have to make for such a large screen aren’t rewarded with a significantly different or better experience than any other Windows Phone. The cumbersome size isn’t comfortable to use on the go or to keep in your pocket, and though the 1520 is nearly as big as a small tablet, it doesn’t offer any of the advantages that tablet software can bring to the table. Windows Phone needs more work to get the most out of such a big screen, and it desperately needs a proper media store to provide content for it.

If you’re looking for a 1080p display on a Windows Phone, right now the 1520 is the only one you can get. But you can be sure that more Windows Phones with full HD displays are coming in the near future, and you likely won’t have to accept a massive 6-inch screen for them. Same goes for the faster processor: Microsoft’s updates to Windows Phone mean that quad-core chips are supported by it natively, so there will certainly be more phones coming with similarly powerful chips.

Of course, if you are in the market for an oversized smartphone, there are a number of Android devices that provide better big screen experiences than the Lumia 1520. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 packs a great-looking 5.7-inch display, and includes software and a stylus to take advantage of it. That’s not to mention the much larger Google Play Store for apps, games, and video content.

Samsung and others have proven that there is a market for giant smartphones, warts and all. But that doesn’t mean that just any smartphone is better if it’s bigger, and the 1520 is a prime example of that. It’s bigger and faster than any other Windows Phone yet, but it’s not necessarily a better Windows Phone because of that. If all you’ve ever wanted in life is a Lumia 925 with a magnifying glass on top of it, the 1520 is exactly that. It’s a tour de force in resolution and speed, but it’s not a great smartphone or even a great replacement for a tablet.

Nokia could capture the minds and wallets of big smartphone shoppers with its excellent hardware design and impressive camera technology. But it needs to do more to give people a reason to choose its devices over the Note 3 and other big smartphones, and the 1520 doesn’t quite do that.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5116360/nokia-lumia-1520-review

It's a huge fucking phone.

THEY WERE STILL ON THE PHONE THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!

For some reason in the windows phone transfer app wouldn't copy them. Had to do it manually. Still messed me up as towards the end I was so passed I didn't take a few shots because I was trying to figure out a way to come back in a few days. Nowhere near as bad as it could've been.

*phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom