• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this so it's a bit strange to me. But I got a form to complete for the Microsoft internship program...

Question 7. How would you test a pencil? Please describe as many cases as you think sufficient.

Now that's a question.

I'm new to this so it's a bit strange to me. But I got a form to complete for the Microsoft internship program...

Question 7. How would you test a pencil? Please describe as many cases as you think sufficient.

Now that's a question.

One of my campus interviews was: Name a feature you would like to add to a PDF Reader, and explain why you want to add that feature.

Another at MS during the second round: How would you test Microsoft Word on WP?

Oh boy

The key, at least from what I could tell, is to clearly explain the reasoning behind any answer you give. There were people much smarter than me who applied and didn't get a second round interview, I believe mostly due to a lack of explanatory capability. Conversing about your problem solving technique is what helps other people understand small sections of a large piece of software, so it's incredibly key to the success of said software.

Valus

Alright, I got the 1020 over the weekend! They had the 1520 at the store but I couldn't even fit it in my pocket lol. Way too big.

Any tips/advice for this phone, or useful apps? Would appreciate it! This is my first smartphone and I feel like I don't even know where to start with it.

I ended up going with a 300mb plan...the guy at the store said that I will go definitely go over in less than 2 days lol. He wanted me to get a 4gb plan and I had to fight him for like 10 minutes before he gave up. I can change the plan whenever I want, so I mean...I just have to keep an eye on the usage and if I see it getting close to 300mb I can upgrade to 1gb and be fine as far as I know.

Unfortunately he conned me into getting this BS AT&T Next plan by making me sound like an idiot if I chose the 2-year contract. I looked it up after I got home and every review basically said it's bullshit and you are paying way more overall. I contacted customer service and they said that I can change to a 2-year contract but I have to go back to the store that I got the phone from and have them do it.

Ughh, so I'm going to go back next weekend. I really hope I don't get the same guy and have to fight him to get it changed.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I got the 1020 over the weekend! They had the 1520 at the store but I couldn't even fit it in my pocket lol. Way too big.

Any tips/advice for this phone, or useful apps? Would appreciate it! This is my first smartphone and I feel like I don't even know where to start with it.

I ended up going with a 300mb plan...the guy at the store said that I will go definitely go over in less than 2 days lol. He wanted me to get a 4gb plan and I had to fight him for like 10 minutes before he gave up. I can change the plan whenever I want, so I mean...I just have to keep an eye on the usage and if I see it getting close to 300mb I can upgrade to 1gb and be fine as far as I know.

Unfortunately he conned me into getting this BS AT&T Next plan by making me sound like an idiot if I chose the 2-year contract. I looked it up after I got home and every review basically said it's bullshit and you are paying way more overall. I contacted customer service and they said that I can change to a 2-year contract but I have to go back to the store that I got the phone from and have them do it.

Ughh, so I'm going to go back next weekend. I really hope I don't get the same guy and have to fight him to get it changed.

Nice. Also check this out if you aren't already aware of it.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/world-of-apps/

Welcome to the WIndows Phone Community, hope you like your new phone :)

Heres a general thing I wrote up for new Lumia phones awhile back.
So first things first. Go into Wifi, hit Advanced Settings and tell it to Keep Wi-Fi on under the lockscreen. It will save you a bunch of trouble later down the line.

Next Turn on Glance on the phone (use peek view for battery saving). Then also in settings turn on double tap to awake. Those are pretty much the main Nokia Settings you have to worry about, set the rest if you feel like it.

Then go grab some apps.
Firstly, go into Nokia Collection in the store and grab what you want out of there. For my specific App recommendations.

Games:
'Wordament' Amazing and addictive word finding game
'Halo: Spartan Assault' Its halo
'Skulls of Shugan'

Apps:
'MyTube' is the best youtube client on Windows Phone
'Windows Phone Central' is the best place for news on everything to do with Windows Phone

Milchjon

Google got a nice update. Especially the tile not being as ugly as before is nice.

Alas, the voice search doesn't work at all for me. The mic circle turns red as if it can hear me, but it doesn't transcribe anything. TellMe has no problems with how I talk.

Has anyone else tried it yet?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I regularly back up my full res shots from the 1020 to my desktop, but if I ever went on vacation and I thought it erased all of my shots, I'd go crazy. And no, the 5mp downsampled versions that get backed up to skydrive are not good enough. I need the full resolution versions, it's why I bought the phone.

Valus

I regularly back up my full res shots from the 1020 to my desktop, but if I ever went on vacation and I thought it erased all of my shots, I'd go crazy. And no, the 5mp downsampled versions that get backed up to skydrive are not good enough. I need the full resolution versions, it's why I bought the phone.

What does this mean? The pictures that automatically pop up on skydrive are downsized to 5mp? If so, is there a way to store the 41mp ones on the computer?

hwalker84

What does this mean? The pictures that automatically pop up on skydrive are downsized to 5mp? If so, is there a way to store the 41mp ones on the computer?

It means the only thing the sync app and SkyDrive recognize are the 5mp versions. You must manually copy and paste the full rez. Still shocked they haven't updated that horrific sync app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

To pull out the 41mp images, you have to connect to your PC via USB and copy/paste or drag/drop them over. Old school style.

Also, I agree with the Verge 1520 review, outside of the camera portion. Anytime they say that the 5s beat another phone's camera, I'm suspect. Their point about not having enough features to take advantage of the big screen is legitimate, and they made that same point in the HTC One Max review, iirc. I'm sure the 1520 can be better with Windows Phone Blue, but the rumor that Nokia are working on a big screen phone with stylus means the 1520 was just premature.

In any case, my next phone is almost certainly the successor to the 1020, unless Blue turns out to be hugely disappointing, which I doubt.

One of my campus interviews was: Name a feature you would like to add to a PDF Reader, and explain why you want to add that feature.

Another at MS during the second round: How would you test Microsoft Word on WP?

Oh boy

The key, at least from what I could tell, is to clearly explain the reasoning behind any answer you give. There were people much smarter than me who applied and didn't get a second round interview, I believe mostly due to a lack of explanatory capability. Conversing about your problem solving technique is what helps other people understand small sections of a large piece of software, so it's incredibly key to the success of said software.
Well, I did my best explaining how I'd test a pencil. Hoping it works out!

I don't mind the coding questions in tests / evaluations because they're straight forward you can check if they're correct or not. I got Develop a function that has two strings as input, it will return true if the two strings are anagrams and false if they aren't. That said, I'm not sure what I'll do if they ask me to code something in an interview, which I'm led to believe they almost certainly will. My current programming ability relies so heavily on being able to check class definitions and the like in Visual Studio so I can find methods to use. So I hope if I get to that stage it's something straight forward.

dLMN8R

Does anyone have a twitter app recommendation? I've used Rowi for a while but it's had some bugs for a while that are starting to get really annoying. I'd like something that makes it very easy to star items to read later, and also easily save my reading place to pick up on later. The official app sucks at the saving-reading-position part.

Does anyone have a twitter app recommendation? I've used Rowi for a while but it's had some bugs for a while that are starting to get really annoying. I'd like something that makes it very easy to star items to read later, and also easily save my reading place to pick up on later. The official app sucks at the saving-reading-position part.

The next best one I've used was mehdoh. I am not sure whether it will solve your usage scenario, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
http://m.winsupersite.com/office-2013/office-remote-preview

Office Remote is like Smartglass for Office.

Sounds pretty cool actually, and it's WP exclusive for once.

Alas it's Office 2013 only (no RT), so I can't check it out myself.

Also, reading the article, it sounds like the teams actually talk to each other now :p

Just tried it and it doesn't work. App won't turn on in office. Would've been nice to have tomorrow for a presentation I'm doing in front of some administrators.

Milchjon

Windows Phone ✔ @windowsphone
Want to help us launch something big? Share an unfiltered #WPphoto that captures who you are. Tell us why and which #WindowsPhone you used.

What's this all about? 1520 and Storyteller?

Or is Instagram going to launch along with it.

Fistexe

Tweet it! is one of the best I think
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tweet-it/4cde5478-9ccd-47d4-8062-55446740f51a

Milchjon

Got my Nokia charging plate. Love the way it looks and it seems to work great, but...

The plug makes an ever so faint squeaky ticking noise when the phone's not charging.

Now I'm wondering whether that's normal or if you should try and exchange it. Does anyone else have the official one and could give it a listen?

Nero3000

Got my Nokia charging plate. Love the way it looks and it seems to work great, but...

The plug makes an ever so faint squeaky ticking noise when the phone's not charging.

Now I'm wondering whether that's normal or if you should try and exchange it. Does anyone else have the official one and could give it a listen?

Had that with the USB plug with my 800. Faulty component, bugged the hell out of me. Get it exchanged. Adapters only have a 6 month warranty.

Milchjon

Had that with the USB plug with my 800. Faulty component, bugged the hell out of me. Get it exchanged. Adapters only have a 6 month warranty.

Ah, fuck. Was so happy about getting it.

Edit: Since it was one of these Amazon Warehouse Deals, I'm not even sure if they'll exchange it or if I can only get my money back.

Edit: Basically, the question is if there's a risk of it dying or if it's just annoying. I think I could live with the latter...

I went to At&t store this weekend and notice they have 925 PowerMat charging plate there instead of the Qi. (Like 3 months after the phone came out). So I assume there will be no Qi for 1520 on At&t and only PowerMat case. How lame...

Lucius86

Banned
http://m.winsupersite.com/office-2013/office-remote-preview

Office Remote is like Smartglass for Office.

Sounds pretty cool actually, and it's WP exclusive for once.

Alas it's Office 2013 only (no RT), so I can't check it out myself.

Also, reading the article, it sounds like the teams actually talk to each other now :p

Tried this at work today, pretty simple in its execution but it worked first time and does the job well. It's a nice additional feature for when I have to do presentations as I don't have a clicker.

Milchjon

According to Nokia Germany's most recent post on FB, 80% of all Lumia users are male.

Edit:

Xbone Smartglass is out.

Gonna check if I can open it without having an Xbone.

Edit Edit:

It's actually quite nice. A few new features and a neat design.

The only thing that's baffling is that the menu button is at the top left, a la iOS, and there's no swipe from the side like in Facebook. So you have to stretch your thumb a bit.

ElNino

According to Nokia Germany's most recent post on FB, 80% of all Lumia users are male.

Edit:

Xbone Smartglass is out.

Gonna check if I can open it without having an Xbone.

Edit Edit:

It's actually quite nice. A few new features and a neat design.

The only thing that's baffling is that the menu button is at the top left, a la iOS, and there's no swipe from the side like in Facebook. So you have to stretch your thumb a bit.
Yeah, the app was clearly designed with iOS and Android in mind. It would have been nice to have a more "WP friendly" version but as long as it is functional then I won't complain too much.

Milchjon

Yeah, the app was clearly designed with iOS and Android in mind. It would have been nice to have a more "WP friendly" version but as long as it is functional then I won't complain too much.

Yeah, but the swipe would've been so simple and just as useful on other OSs.

ElNino

Yeah, but the swipe would've been so simple and just as useful on other OSs.
For sure, I prefer the swipe design over the button as well. I just think that it's not as common of a design on iOS or Android so I feel like those versions drove this app design more than WP did... which is probably fair given the market share, but it still sucks for us.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Finally, the digital boarding pass feature arrives on the American airlines app. One of the genuinely futuristic feeling features that I would envy on IOS devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom