• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably a glitch. But it if isn't, expect the same set of android fanboys to come in defending it with the same twisted logic and fanboyish zeal.

do you really think this is a glitch? after gmail support was dropped and still no youtube apis ion sight for wp? i dont think so, google is firing their guns

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Kinda hope it is not a glitch. What a joke.

It's got to be. A move like that would generate a ton of negative feedback from the tech press. It's a way bigger deal than just refusing to give up metadata or an api. Google wouldn't do something like this, not because of who they are, but because it would harm their brand.

I'll tell you what though, if its not a glitch, there's no way I'm ever using their search, gmail, android or google calendar ever again.

do you really think this is a glitch? after gmail support was dropped and still no youtube apis ion sight for wp? i dont think so, google is firing their guns

What would Google gain with that move? The Google Mobile web experience (GMail, Reader, Maps) is pretty bad anyway, so it's not a real loss for anyone and all they get is some bad press.

Milchjon

It's got to be. A move like that would generate a ton of negative feedback from the tech press. It's a way bigger deal than just refusing to give up metadata or an api. Google wouldn't do something like this, not because of who they are, but because it would harm their brand.

I'll tell you what though, if its not a glitch, there's no way I'm ever using their search, gmail, android or google calendar ever again.

You really think there'd be that much of a backlash?

I'd expect this to only lead to conversations like:

"Hey, WP looks kinda awesome"
"Haven't you heard? Youtube, Gmail, Gcal and Youtube don't work there"
"WTF? Well that's that, can't live without those"

This really only can hurt Google so much, compared to the damage it does to WP.

If this was a deliberate move, then they should've waited few days and let this get buried under the massive amount of CES coverage that will start next week. No one would've noticed or really cared.

You can totally hire me, Larry.

Milchjon

If this was a deliberate move, then they should've waited few days and let this get buried under the massive amount of CES coverage that will start next week. No one would've noticed or really cared.

You can totally hire me, Larry.

They know deep down in your cold heart, you only have one true love.

Larry doesn't like impostors.

It's probably a glitch. But it if isn't, expect the same set of android fanboys to come in defending it with the same twisted logic and fanboyish zeal.
Defending Microsoft is like defending Monsanto. I don't even particularly like or dislike Google specifically, even though I prefer the Android OS. But I just don't understand how anyone could actually like or support Microsoft.

Since Google had yet to publicly say anything about the Maps thing, it's probably a glitch.

They know deep down in your cold heart, you only have one true love.

Larry doesn't like impostors.

While that might be true, to a certain extend, anyone can still buy me and I'll do my job accordingly. So yes, if you read this Larry, you can totally PM me! Once I signed, we should also talk about some design aspects on Android and your terrible mobile web experience ...

Guys, let's not get him going again

Come on now, Mobile GAF is one big family.

Milchjon

Defending Microsoft is like defending Monsanto. I don't even particularly like or dislike Google specifically, even though I prefer the Android OS. But I just don't understand how anyone could actually like or support Microsoft.

Their products? I went from having no real preferences or even liking other companies/products more to MS pretty much across the board within about a year and a half due to WP7/Metro.

And while I won't defend MS' Business practices of the 80s/90s/00s, they have lost enough power and have been crippled enough legally to fall way behind other companies (Google, Amazon, Apple) when it comes to how "evil" their actions are.

Milchjon

Although I wonder, if Google did this on purpose, why only Maps? Is this supposed to be a warning shot, and if so, what do they want from MS? I can't imagine them being hurt too bad by those laughable little campaigns...

Speaking of which, wasn't Copernicus back some time ago?
Or did I only dream that?

Edit: Ahahaha, he already got banned again. How does he do it?

Speaking of which, wasn't Copernicus back some time ago?
Or did I only dream that?

Edit: Ahahaha, he already got banned again. How does he do it?

I think that was just his Christmas present from the mods. He was banned the next day and his post history doesn't show anything offensive.

While that might be true, to a certain extend, anyone can still buy me and I'll do my job accordingly. So yes, if you read this Larry, you can totally PM me! Once I signed, we should also talk about some design aspects on Android and your terrible mobile web experience ...

I just spoke with Matias on the cellie. He said that he's kinda busy at the moment adding more unintuitive functions like the second notifications shade, but he'll try to contact you later.

<3

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Their products? I went from having no real preferences or even liking other companies/products more to MS pretty much across the board within about a year and a half due to WP7/Metro.

And while I won't defend MS' Business practices of the 80s/90s/00s, they have lost enough power and have been crippled enough legally to fall way behind other companies (Google, Amazon, Apple) when it comes to how "evil" their actions are.

This is pretty much me. I got a pocketpc, didn't like the experience, then was blown away by the iPhone and picked up a 3g. I loved the hell out of that thing until Google started doing some interesting things that I had to jailbreak my iPhone for. After seeing windows phone, though, it was love at first sight. I like windows 8 as well, was never a mac guy, but that's because I studied computers and all my classes used PC's.

"why would anyone like company x?" is such a stupid post.

UraMallas

Okay. I have a friend that just bought a Lumia 822 yesterday and I assured them they could sync a gmail email. I would've been pissed.

dLMN8R

Okay. I have a friend that just bought a Lumia 822 yesterday and I assured them they could sync a gmail email. I would've been pissed.

You can still sync gmail fine, it's push gmail that won't work anymore. You'll have to set the phone to check every 15 minutes.

Milchjon

Giz says Gmaps never worked from the browser on IE mobile.

Oh, so I wasn't going crazy?

This is getting ridiculous.

Although I don't think Google Maps ever really worked for me on WP7.

gMaps seems to be working fine, though.

Edit: Verge article for the wmpoweruser haters ;-)

I think I only ever tried to use it once and was redirected, but I wasn't sure.

I trusted the authorities more than my own memory :-( (Although for good reason)

Edit: Wait, now I'm totally confused.

Facebook monthly active users, September 2011 vs September 2012.

GQwVq.png

It's pretty easy to see where the growth is coming from: Android, up from 66m to 175m, followed by iPhone, up from 91m to 140m. There is also very interesting strength for the J2ME client for feature phones, which is probably a function of growth in emerging markets: this app more than doubled to 75m users. Meanwhile the RIM app is growing much more slowly (and had flattened completely by the time the data stopped being reported) and Windows and Nokia are nowhere.

http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/1/2/facebooks-545m-mobile-app-users

Milchjon

Bah, all WP users make up the whole mobile column!

Also, it's only til September, wait until the real numbers come out!

Watching Vita fans has taught me so much about helpful delusions

nah, if the blocking is true, it's shameful.

blocking access to the website is a completely different situation than providing special access to private APIs.

Why wouldn't they count as Windows Phones? They are Windows Phones. The Nokia graph is for their other phones with Meego and Symbian.

It's also for devices which use Nokia S30/S40, like the Asha line of devices. The Nokia column encompasses a wide range of devices. Though you and I probably will never see one, Nokia has sold over 1.5 billion devices which run the S40 platform.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I just started using Spotify and realized there is no app for it.

WHY?!?!?!

I guess there's no way around this? No browser version of Spotify?

Piper Az

Oh man, what is going on with WP lately? Love the UI, but it just feels like it will never get a chance to take off...somewhat depressed.

Oh man, what is going on with WP lately? Love the UI, but it just feels like it will never get a chance to take off...somewhat depressed.

I'm doing my best.

I just started using Spotify and realized there is no app for it.

WHY?!?!?!

I guess there's no way around this? No browser version of Spotify?

Spotify is redoing the app for Windows Phone 8. The Windows Phone 7 version, which should've been compatible, got pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom