• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Oh man, what is going on with WP lately? Love the UI, but it just feels like it will never get a chance to take off...somewhat depressed.

Main-Features-of-HP-WebOS-2.0-Phone-3.jpg

I feel your pain.

thirty

Banned
Oh man, what is going on with WP lately? Love the UI, but it just feels like it will never get a chance to take off...somewhat depressed.
I owned Samsungs and HTCs, neither are on Nokia's level. I've mentally prepared myself to leave the platform if and when Nokia does. I go where they go.

Lucifon

Someone needs to get in touch with the Verge - their response from Google was unspecific to wp8 and just said the browser didnt support WebKit therefore won't work. However a user on wpcentral has done some playing around to find that they ARE specifically blocking WP8 access:

giga

Someone needs to get in touch with the Verge - their response from Google was unspecific to wp8 and just said the browser didnt support WebKit therefore won't work. However a user on wpcentral has done some playing around to find that they ARE specifically blocking WP8 access:

hqk.jpg

Dat retina.

Lucifon

If you're not going to qfs at least go into reader mode for us

Sorry guys :( 1:30am here lied in bed on my iPad, first time attempting to post an image to gaf from it, totally forgot about how it might not scale.

Edit - Think that should have sorted it? My bad!

Sorry guys :( 1:30am here lied in bed on my iPad, first time attempting to post an image to gaf from it, totally forgot about how it might not scale.

Just put it in quotes and it will scale down. Thank you.

E: Also, this totally wouldn't be a problem, if we had high resolution displays on our desks.

Troll

Banned

That's cool but you should probably edit your post before you explain why you didn't do it right in the first place. It's just polite.

Lucifon

Just put it in quotes and it will scale down. Thank you.

E: Also, this totally wouldn't be a problem, if we had high resolution displays on our desks.

That's cool but you should probably edit your post before you explain why you didn't do it right in the first place. It's just polite.

Done, sorry! First time posting in the WP8 thread didn't go as well as planned after lurking for weeks.

But back on topic the fact they're downright blocking the WP8 user agent is pretty bad IMO. Seems every day there's a new case of Google doing something to try kick WP8 under the mat. As someone who's soon looking to upgrade from an iPhone 4 I'm rooting for the underdog.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I think last flowers mentioned an app on the WP market that changes your user agent. That should be useful. Or it would be, if gmaps wasn't so awesome.

Too bad the design was never good and the interface wasn't very smooth.

I never understood how the people in love with webOS could have overlooked how glacially slow it was. The entire OS was literally non-native code and it was absolutely terrible and buggy and full of memory leaks. I used webOS on my TouchPad until the first CM released began to drop and then I never booted into it ever again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ah, that's where I remember you from. My touchpad thread.

Have you ever used a WP device for a full day? If so, what are your impressions.

Ah, that's where I remember you from. My touchpad thread.

Yeah, those were the good old days. Do you remember that week of the fire sale where we were all scrambling to try and order one? I actually ended up with two at the end of all the sales. The second one I sold to another Gaffer at my cost because I refused to scalp a Gaffer.

Have you ever used a WP device for a full day? If so, what are your impressions.

The other day, my random new hire co-worker walked in and pulled a Nokia Lumia 710 (T-Mobile) out and started playing with it. It was actually the first Windows Phone I've ever seen in the wild. I gather this model runs WP7.5 though, so it probably wouldn't be useful for gathering any updated impressions from.

I never understood how the people in love with webOS could have overlooked how glacially slow it was. The entire OS was literally non-native code and it was absolutely terrible and buggy and full of memory leaks. I used webOS on my TouchPad until the first CM released began to drop and then I never booted into it ever again.

i'm the same. I liked the look until I actually used it. (IMExaggeratedO) It was garbage and galacially slow. Still shocked at how The Verge still remembers it fondly......

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The other day, my random new hire co-worker walked in and pulled a Nokia Lumia 710 (T-Mobile) out and started playing with it. It was actually the first Windows Phone I've ever seen in the wild. I gather this model runs WP7.5 though, so it probably wouldn't be useful for gathering any updated impressions from.

You would get an ok feel for the smoothness of the OS but I wish you could spend some time with a Lumia 920. Its a very fun experience. Not that you would switch, but you would probably understand why some of us can overlook the flaws and prefer it over any other mobile platform.

Troll

Banned
You would get an ok feel for the smoothness of the OS but I wish you could spend some time with a Lumia 920. Its a very fun experience. Not that you would switch, but you would probably understand why some of us can overlook the flaws and prefer it over any other mobile platform.

It's the best OS there. I would know, considering I now have a 920, iPhone 5 and GS3.

Well, the problem is that I have Verizon and the 920 isn't available. I suppose I could go to the Verizon store and play with the 822 but really the time you spend in a store isn't nearly enough to get a feel for what phones are like, especially with the employees jabbering incessantly in your ear while you're prodding their devices.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So I just started a Xbox Music pass. Damn is the UI sexy.

WP really thrives when it's fully personalized. Say for me, a really nice feature is having my family group as a double-wide tile front and center. It gets updated with facebook statuses, emails, etc from my extended family. Groups have helped me stop browsing facebook at all--as I can glean the information I actually care about mostly through those stylized streams.

The 8x is really really nice on Verizon. It may not have the amazing low-light camera performance of the 920--but it's got NFC and wireless charging. The red is stunning :) (my daily driver). I like it's design more than the One X. The droid DNA seemed good, but I didn't mess around with it much at all.

PG2G

Why not keep the old app and just update the marketplace when the new one is out?

Old app used special APIs and native code that prevented it from being able to transfer over nicely. Same issue with a couple other apps like Skype, Tango, and Photosynth.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Old app used special APIs and native code that prevented it from being able to transfer over nicely. Same issue with a couple other apps like Skype, Tango, and Photosynth.

Why is it taking them so long to update it?

Guys I'm about to order a Lumia 920, which color should I choose? Red/Yellow/Black ?

Yellow man, it looks boss.

Make your own damn decisions, bro. :lol

Oh, since recently RealDownloader's been interfering with my 800's syncing. Everytime I hook it up to the PC Zune tells me RealDownloader is using my device, even though it's not open (not even in my processes). Guess I'll just boot their software off my computer, unless I can keep that converter somehow.

Guys I'm about to order a Lumia 920, which color should I choose? Red/Yellow/Black ?

I also keep doubting, I really would love a nice color, but those are only available in glossy. Except for Cyan, but they don't sell that one here. So glossy red or matte black for me. But you have to make your own choice.

Yellow man, it looks boss.

Make your own damn decisions, bro. :lol

Oh, since recently RealDownloader's been interfering with my 800's syncing. Everytime I hook it up to the PC Zune tells me RealDownloader is using my device, even though it's not open (not even in my processes). Guess I'll just boot their software off my computer, unless I can keep that converter somehow.

I ordered a Yellow one, because you said so lol.

This deal is so good that it's probably an error on the webshop's part. This is the deal:
Lumia 920 + 200 min + 1000MB, 2 year contract (Vodafone) for 27,50 euro's a month and the phone for 6 euro's.
Usually it's the first 12 months 27.50 and the second 12 months 55, but this webshot states that it's 27,50 the whole contract. I must abuse this error.

Oh and honestly, I suck at making choices. That's why I never do groceries without a specific list of what to buy. Once my mom had written potato chips on the list and I, not exagerating, spent 20 minutes in front of the potato chip rack trying to find something.

Milchjon

I'd really take a look at it at the store. IMO yellow looks awesome in person, but it's glossy and the yellow is a bit more neon than the yellow accent color.
And as someone that loves his Cyan 800, I do think that the size makes a bit of a difference when it comes to those Colors. I liked the black 920 more than the black 800 since the colors look even more flashy.

Edit: Damn, Hollowpoint, I want that deal :-D

Milchjon

German :-(

I pay about the same amount for less data, less minutes and I had to pay way more for my 800.

(I took a mediocre deal just because I wanted the 800 so bad)

German :-(

I pay about the same amount for less data, less minutes and I had to pay way more for my 800.

(I took a mediocre deal just because I wanted the 800 so bad)

I'm glad I found this 'deal'. If not, I would have ordered an HTC One X by now (One X free on 2 year contract, 26 euro's a month whole contract, 500 minutes, 500mb). The downside of that contract is that it's on the godawful T-Mobile network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom