• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a Yellow one, because you said so lol.

This deal is so good that it's probably an error on the webshop's part. This is the deal:
Lumia 920 + 200 min + 1000MB, 2 year contract (Vodafone) for 27,50 euro's a month and the phone for 6 euro's.
Usually it's the first 12 months 27.50 and the second 12 months 55, but this webshot states that it's 27,50 the whole contract. I must abuse this error.

Oh and honestly, I suck at making choices. That's why I never do groceries without a specific list of what to buy. Once my mom had written potato chips on the list and I, not exagerating, spent 20 minutes in front of the potato chip rack trying to find something.

That's a pretty amazing deal. Man, Belgium never gets good stuff like that, heck, deals like that were forbidden until a few years ago, I think. I got my Lumia 800 off a similar deal last september and still wound up paying €200 for the phone. Of course another provider offered another similar deal just a few weeks after I bought mine, but this time the phone only cost €1. Still bitter. :lol

Then again, my contract's for only €15 a month, and the first year I only have to pay €10. That's more than enough, and less than most people I know have to pay.

LINK IT TO ME!

I don't see it at Tweakers at all, so is this deal known?

Quote to see

Yeah the deal is known on Tweakers. In fact, that's how I found out about it.

That's a pretty amazing deal. Man, Belgium never gets good stuff like that, heck, deals like that were forbidden until a few years ago, I think. I got my Lumia 800 off a similar deal last september and still wound up paying €200 for the phone. Of course another provider offered another similar deal just a few weeks after I bought mine, but this time the phone only cost €1. Still bitter. :lol

Then again, my contract's for only €15 a month, and the first year I only have to pay €10.

Belgian contract prizes don't differ much from Dutch. In case of the Lumia 800, that still has rediculous prizes here. In fact, the HTC 8S is much cheaper on contract than the Lumia 800.

Haha, yeah, I just noticed the post. Should check a bit better. Amazing deal. First was looking at a Tele2 contract, but the coverage is not as well on that.

Same here, Studentmobiel has an amazing deal on the HTC One X, but it's Tele 2 :'(
I've been on the KPN network since my first contract and I simply can not downgrade from that. I hear Vodafone is a little worse than KPN but not T-Mobile level of bad. I share the attick with my brother (separate rooms) and he has tele 2 while I have SimYo (KPN) he has no reception while I have almost full bars. Sometimes I think my phone plays a huge role in that.

Quote to see

Yeah the deal is known on Tweakers. In fact, that's how I found out about it.

Belgian contract prizes don't differ much from Dutch. In case of the Lumia 800, that still has rediculous prizes here. In fact, the HTC 8S is much cheaper on contract than the Lumia 800.

It's better than it was, before the iPhone selling phones and subscriptions together was forbidden. Apple had to release the thing at a ridiculous price at first, until the government relented.

Same here, Studentmobiel has an amazing deal on the HTC One X, but it's Tele 2 :'(
I've been on the KPN network since my first contract and I simply can not downgrade from that. I hear Vodafone is a little worse than KPN but not T-Mobile level of bad. I share the attick with my brother (separate rooms) and he has tele 2 while I have SimYo (KPN) he has no reception while I have almost full bars. Sometimes I think my phone plays a huge role in that.

Now I am doubting about what I want. The red seems to look more orangy in video footage.
:(

EDIT: Do you know whether you can get a wireless charger with this order?

Now I am doubting about what I want. The red seems to look more orangy in video footage.
:(

EDIT: Do you know whether you can get a wireless charger with this order?

I read somewhere that the wireless charger comes with it, but now I'm reading that it doesn't. Can't find where I read it.

Edit: Found it. It's on the Lumia 920 ordering page. If you order a Lumia 920 before 28 februari, you're getting a free wireless charger via Nokia:
http://www.nokiapromotion.nl/gratisoplader/

I read somewhere that the wireless charger comes with it, but now I'm reading that it doesn't. Can't find where I read it.

Edit: Found it. It's on the Lumia 920 ordering page. If you order a Lumia 920 before 28 februari, you're getting a free wireless charger via Nokia:
http://www.nokiapromotion.nl/gratisoplader/

Did not know whether the store was eligible, seems it is. So yee. I think I will try a red one if they will not cancel the order.

Aw man, I knew the deal was too good to be true. Just called the webshop, they said it's an error on their part and they will fix it asap. The people who already ordered the phone will get the option to cancel the order to switch to the proper deal.

Aw man, I knew the deal was too good to be true. Just called the webshop, they said it's an error on their part and they will fix it asap. The people who already ordered the phone will get the option to cancel the order to switch to the proper deal.

That sucks. Too bad they don't honor their deals.

I'll wait. I hope a newbie calls me on Monday cause they're going to have a pretty pissed customer on the line :p If that doesn't work I think I'll pick up the *gulp* Tele 2 HTC One X.

I'm don't actually need a new phone. I'm still happy with my HD2 and it does everything modern smartphones can do, just much slower :p. The issue is that I'm paying 17 euros a month for my Sim Only contract, with a little more money I can a free phone with it. For example, the HTC 8S is 20 euro's a month on contract with 500mb+200 minutes (phone is about 30 euros). For just 3 euros a month on top of my SimOnly contract I get an HTC 8S.

The OneX deal is just 10 euros on top of my current contract. You know, for an OS that's trying to gain marketshare the phones are pretty expensive, and every Nokia WP8 device aside form the 920 is butt ugly (and expensive).

Totakeke

My Omnia 7 is singing its death knell by continuously crashing and restarting for no good reason.

Looking around, here are the options available unlocked without contract:

HTC 8S: ~250USD
HTC 8X: ~500USD
Lumia 920: ~650USD
Lumia 900: ~350USD
Luma 800: ~200USD

So 8S looks like the best choice for value at this point in time since I'm not particularly enthusiastic about any of those. But it seems like the only color choices available are either blue or red. Orange or Black/White would've been nice. No Nokia apps is a bummer though.

giga

My Omnia 7 is singing its death knell by continuously crashing and restarting for no good reason.

So 8S looks like the best choice for value at this point in time since I'm not particularly enthusiastic about any of those. But it seems like the only color choices available are either blue or red. Orange or Black/White would've been nice. No Nokia apps is a bummer though.
Link to the 8S for 250?

If you don't mind walking around with the iPhone 3G's fat gay cousin', you can wait for the Lumia 620.

Gay because of the colors, don't mean to be offensive toward gay people

kharma45

Because of the 8S' meagre memory (you can only use 2GB for apps etc) I'd say avoid it and wait for the Lumia 620 if you want a cheap WP device.

jgkspsx

So, Americans, any reason not to buy phones and renew my AT&T contract through Best Buy? I guess I would be buying through AT&T to get the free wireless charger, but if my wife gets one from Best Buy we'd get $20 back...

Or will that somehow cause us to not both be subsidized?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, Americans, any reason not to buy phones and renew my AT&T contract through Best Buy? I guess I would be buying through AT&T to get the free wireless charger, but if my wife gets one from Best Buy we'd get $20 back...

Or will that somehow cause us to not both be subsidized?

You can do the upgrades separately, but the wireless charger alone is worth more than $20.

guys im on my third 8X. :(
first one kept getting a sim card error. I would have to restart it to make the sim card work again. Second one had a shitty antenna that would drop a signal at random places. The third one just got that same sim card error as the first one. if it happens again this weekend I will be returning it and sticking to my 2 year old HD7. this sucks sooooo much

Troll

Banned
first one kept getting a sim card error. I would have to restart it to make the sim card work again. Second one had a shitty antenna that would drop a signal at random places. The third one just got that same sim card error as the first one. if it happens again this weekend I will be returning it and sticking to my 2 year old HD7. this sucks sooooo much

My third 920 was good.

How is everyone getting these errors? I'm on my First L920 still and it works amazingly. Zero battery problems, it doesn't get overly warm and it's survived 3 falls on the corner already from waist height (Although I am looking to get a case now)

derFeef

Oh man that sucks, never had any problems with my 8X except the connection issues, which a hard reset fixed.

MCD

I was looking at MP3 players on Amazon and man...nothing comes close to the Zune HD.

Shit was beautiful. MS really need to revive it one day.

take the zune HD, push the screen to 4,3" or something, slap the wp buttons on it (but in a subtle way) and make it the surface phone. would be there day one.

PG2G

Looks like Google is going to remove the redirect.

http://www.zdnet.com/google-shouldn...blocking-its-competitors-products-7000009411/

Update (January 5): It looks like this blockage might be temporary. This just in from a Google spokesperson:

"We periodically test Google Maps compatibility with mobile browsers to make sure we deliver the best experience for those users.

In our last test, IE mobile still did not offer a good maps experience with no ability to pan or zoom and perform basic map functionality. As a result, we chose to continue to redirect IE mobile users to Google.com where they could at least make local searches. The Firefox mobile browser did offer a somewhat better user experience and that’s why there is no redirect for those users.

Recent improvements to IE mobile and Google Maps now deliver a better experience and we are currently working to remove the redirect. We will continue to test Google Maps compatibility with other mobile browsers to ensure the best possible experience for users."

So I've been listening to the latest Windows Weekly episode and holy cow does Paul trash Xbox Music. "It's a fairly horrific experience", "It's fucking nuts, that's what it is. It's the Exorcist of music services, it doesn't make any sense.". Mary Jo describes it as an alpha, not even a beta. And I like that they pointed out how incredibly stupid and Microsoft it is, that you have to pay Xbox Live Gold to use the Microsoft music service you're already paying for, even though it's not fully functional yet, since the lack of matching apparently cripples the experience.

On another note: Leo Laporte remains the worst host and guy in tech I know. If you don't care about the topic of your show, don't host it.

Troll

Banned
So I've been listening to the latest Windows Weekly episode and holy cow does Paul trash Xbox Music. "It's a fairly horrific experience", "It's fucking nuts, that's what it is. It's the Exorcist of music services, it doesn't make any sense.". Mary Jo describes it as an alpha, not even a beta. And I like that they pointed out how incredibly stupid and Microsoft it is, that you have to pay Xbox Live Gold to use the Microsoft music service you're already paying for, even though it's not fully functional yet, since the lack of matching apparently cripples the experience.

On another note: Leo Laporte remains the worst host and guy in tech I know. If you don't care about the topic of your show, don't host it.

They'd fit right in.

dLMN8R

Yeah, Paul's right on about all of it. It's really pathetic how terrible an experience it is.

And Leo's gotten on my nerves so much in recent months. I finally unsubscribed from TWiT, and episodes where Iyaz hosts are by far my favorites.

It's not that Leo is ignorant, it just seems like he's totally burnt out and uninterested. He doesn't retain a single shred of information from week to week, he'll say one thing on Windows Weekly to appease his guests and say the exact opposite 2 days later to appease Dvorak or whomever on TWiT is ranting ignorantly about something. And then the next week it's like none of that happened and he doesn't remember anything.

Troll

Banned
Yeah, Paul's right on about all of it. It's really pathetic how terrible an experience it is.

And Leo's gotten on my nerves so much in recent months. I finally unsubscribed from TWiT, and episodes where Iyaz hosts are by far my favorites.

It's not that Leo is ignorant, it just seems like he's totally burnt out and uninterested. He doesn't retain a single shred of information from week to week, he'll say one thing on Windows Weekly to appease his guests and say the exact opposite 2 days later to appease Dvorak or whomever on TWiT is ranting ignorantly about something. And then the next week it's like none of that happened and he doesn't remember anything.

Did you ever think that maybe he has a medical condition?

Xbox music deserves to be trashed. It is an absolute abomination of a program, particularly on the surface RT..

I'd echo Paul and Mary Jo's sentiments 100% on that..

Windows 8 is a great operating system, but microsoft's core applications for the modern UI are sorely lacking.. I think the news app is the best one they have at the moment.

Piper Az

Yeah, Xbox Music on Win 8 is especially bad. I had to talk to like 5 different MS rep on the phone & web to figure out why I was paying $15 when the old Zune 10 songs/month no longer works with Xbox Music. Needless to say, I canceled the subscription even though they never refunded the $5. The Xbox Music app for Win8 is really really bad. It's like MS went for simplicity and crippled everything useful and logical (for example, no on-screen volume control? really, MS?)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, Xbox Music on Win 8 is especially bad. I had to talk to like 5 different MS rep on the phone & web to figure out why I was paying $15 when the old Zune 10 songs/month no longer works with Xbox Music. Needless to say, I canceled the subscription even though they never refunded the $5. The Xbox Music app for Win8 is really really bad. It's like MS went for simplicity and crippled everything useful and logical (for example, no on-screen volume control? really, MS?)

Wait, you couldn't get your free downloads from the Zune software?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

the only reason I use Xbox Music on W8 is because of the free streaming. Other than that, meh. Also I have started liking What The Tech much more than Windows Weekly, basically because of no Leo. As you said, Leo just isn't interested in most of the topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom