• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox music deserves to be trashed. It is an absolute abomination of a program, particularly on the surface RT..

I'd echo Paul and Mary Jo's sentiments 100% on that..

Windows 8 is a great operating system, but microsoft's core applications for the modern UI are sorely lacking.. I think the news app is the best one they have at the moment.

It's funny how the Bing team did a better job with their apps.

Yeah, Xbox Music on Win 8 is especially bad. I had to talk to like 5 different MS rep on the phone & web to figure out why I was paying $15 when the old Zune 10 songs/month no longer works with Xbox Music. Needless to say, I canceled the subscription even though they never refunded the $5. The Xbox Music app for Win8 is really really bad. It's like MS went for simplicity and crippled everything useful and logical (for example, no on-screen volume control? really, MS?)

The on-sceen volume solution makes sense on a tablet, but not on a desktop. If you want the on-screen volume control on the desktop, in metro apps, you need a keyboard with volume buttons.

They'd fit right in.
Paul and Mary Jo are absolutely tolerable. They complain a lot and can be annoying, but most of the time they know what they're talking about.

Yeah, Paul's right on about all of it. It's really pathetic how terrible an experience it is.

And Leo's gotten on my nerves so much in recent months. I finally unsubscribed from TWiT, and episodes where Iyaz hosts are by far my favorites.

It's not that Leo is ignorant, it just seems like he's totally burnt out and uninterested. He doesn't retain a single shred of information from week to week, he'll say one thing on Windows Weekly to appease his guests and say the exact opposite 2 days later to appease Dvorak or whomever on TWiT is ranting ignorantly about something. And then the next week it's like none of that happened and he doesn't remember anything.

I get that TWiT is Leo's baby, but that doesn't mean he has to be on every show, especially if he has no interest in the topic. He's like an old high school teacher, teaching stuff he doesn't care about. He has this complete "alright, lets get over with this" attitude.

the only reason I use Xbox Music on W8 is because of the free streaming. Other than that, meh. Also I have started liking What The Tech much more than Windows Weekly, basically because of no Leo. As you said, Leo just isn't interested in most of the topics.
Same here, while I still watch Windows Weekly so I can hear Marry Jo Folley, What The Tech has become my GoTo as a Windows tech podcast

jagowar

I guess I am different... I don't think the xbox music service is that bad. Sure it still needs a ton of work but its still better than spotify, rdio or any other streaming service even in its current state.

As far as twit.... I don't mind leo. I think its important that people who have a voice are informed about the ms ecosystem and leo does get corrected quite a bit on the show. That has always been my issue with tech press is how little they know about the ms offerings and they complain about issues ms has already solved if they were informed. I do have an issue with leo how he seems to have 2 personalities.... one when he is on windows weekly and a completely different one on this week in tech.

I guess I am different... I don't think the xbox music service is that bad. Sure it still needs a ton of work but its still better than spotify, rdio or any other streaming service even in its current state.

Alright, I'm a paying Spotify user. How exactly is Xbox Music better?

JaggedSac

If the Xbox Music hate train hasn't left yet, I would like to get on board. Browsing my own content is a disaster. UI shouldn't halt in order to download images. Etc. Etc. Give me the name of the god damned Frenchman in charge of this crap so I can spam him with irate emails.

The service itself isn't bad, it's the front end client for W8 that sucks ding dong. I like the service.

100% agreed about Leo being on the show, he really doesnt care & 1/2 the time Paul and Mary have to correct him. It's surprising he's managed this long to be honest... I'm going to try What the tech.

I don't know what ya'll talking about. Everyone I show Xbox Music to has absolutely loved it. Type an artist name, press Enter, DONE. Go through any and all of their discography or Smart DJ for related music. All of that for free. Fuck yeah.

So soo soooo easy. So simple. All free.

And the music controls and volume showing up is fucking great, especially if you're a laptop user.

jagowar

Alright, I'm a paying Spotify user. How exactly is Xbox Music better?

How exactly is spotify better? I find spotify to be the worst possible experience to find and play music. It is geared far too much like a social network imo. To me the idea of xbox music is exactly what I want. My own cloud collection is front and center and the social/discovery is secondary.

I don't know what ya'll talking about. Everyone I show Xbox Music to has absolutely loved it. Type an artist name, press Enter, DONE. Go through any and all of their discography or Smart DJ for related music. All of that for free. Fuck yeah.

So soo soooo easy. So simple. All free.

And the music controls and volume showing up is fucking great, especially if you're a laptop user.

It's only free in the first six months. After that it's 10 free hours per month, after that you have to pay up.

How exactly is spotify better? I find spotify to be the worst possible experience to find and play music. It is geared far too much like a social network imo. To me the idea of xbox music is exactly what I want. My own cloud collection is front and center and the social/discovery is secondary.

Clients on every platform and they're not total shit. I'd say that's a good start and advantage.

dLMN8R

I've listened to the TWiT network's Tech News Today for about a year now, and it's great. Other than Leo's apathy and the annoying guests like Dvorak, TWiT is also simply irrelevant because Tech News Today covers the topics more timely, with much more informed commentary, and in much more depth. Tom Merrit is especially great.

Ragus

Banned
Hey folks, are you all using Internet Explorer as you main browser on WP8? I can't stand it. For me, it has only one advantage - it's fast. I really hate, that:

-there is no real fullscreen in landscape mode
-the bottom bar is very lackluster (for example no forward button)

I was looking for a good alternative, but with no success. UC browser is very unstable and Habit Browser is almost perfect, but I hate that it sometimes freezez for 5 seconds when the page is loaded.

It's quite depressing, that there are no browsers like Chrome (lol), Firefox or Dolphin.

kharma45

Hey folks, are you all using Internet Explorer as you main browser on WP8? I can't stand it. For me, it has only one advantage - it's fast. I really hate, that:

-there is no real fullscreen in landscape mode
-the bottom bar is very lackluster (for example no forward button)

I was looking for a good alternative, but with no success. UC browser is very unstable and Habit Browser is almost perfect, but I hate that it sometimes freezez for 5 seconds when the page is loaded.

It's quite depressing, that there are no browsers like Chrome (lol), Firefox or Dolphin.

the lack of a forward button I get around by using the 'recent' option in the overflow menu.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like IE fine, but I'm not a heavy mobile browser user. I do agree about the bar being lackluster. If it's going to be there, why not do more than just display one action plus the address? Who the heck needs to even see the whole address every time at the bottom? It would be more useful if they added more buttons rather than display the address of the page you know you're on, plus you can always expand it by clicking on it if you need to see the whole address.

I must be the only person here that is fine with an always-on address bar. Perhaps it's the reassurance or something that I'm on where I should be, or how I don't have to tap, tap, tap (one tap saved).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
what you should be able to do is hold the button down to get more controls like when you hold the ".com" on the keyboard and it gives you ".co.uk .org" etc.

Lucius86

Banned
I wouldn't mind the option/shortcut to go to the bottom of the page too. Reading forums can be a bit annoying when all you want to read is the last few posts in a thread.

UraMallas

I wouldn't mind the option/shortcut to go to the bottom of the page too. Reading forums can be a bit annoying when all you want to read is the last few posts in a thread.
This. I hate having to scroll on GAF. Especially because I have my pages set to 100 posts.

Such as turning off haptic feedback on the buttons? : you can't do that on any generation of Windows Phone as you I'm sure know.

It's small stuff like that that annoys me the most. MS's design decisions baffle me. There are some OEM's that have built in the option to turn off capacitive button vibration. Stuff like this should be an OS option.

The same goes for, and I can't repeat it often enough, no WiFi in sleep mode. How hard can it be to add that option? I know Portico adds that update, but WP7.8 doesn't even have that (or does it?).

I'd also like the option of separating contacts in the people hub. A separate column for FB contacts, phone contacts etc.

Brot, how you're homesick for this os is really a mystery to me.

kharma45

It's small stuff like that that annoys me the most. MS's design decisions baffle me. There are some OEM's that have built in the option to turn off capacitive button vibration. Stuff like this should be an OS option.

The same goes for, and I can't repeat it often enough, no WiFi in sleep mode. How hard can it be to add that option? I know Portico adds that update, but WP7.8 doesn't even have that (or does it?).

7.8 doesn't have it sadly.

So I just tried to get directions via the map app. Sooooo let me get this straight, I have to download another app to get directions? The one it recommends is Google maps pro....you have got to be shitting me. This will not stand....how?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom