• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia's got a new xbox game Picnic Wars. Nokia cares more about games than MS.

Also Fusion:Sentient has been made compatible.

Exuro

Alright this one is annoying me. IE won't start up websites in their mobile version. Every time I've went to a website I'd have to find the mobile. And for sites like Steam if I go to the mobile version and click a link it reverts to the desktop version. Any way I can fix this? I've looked in IE's settings and mobile preference is set.

EDIT: hmm apparently it's just Neogaf and Steam that's having the problem. Sites like twitter and facebook are working properly.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Skulls of the Shogun will be released on all the MS platforms on the 30th :) . If you want all of the them it won't be cheap. Too bad there wasn't a discount for buying additional copies.

XBLA: 1200 points
Win8: $14.99
WP: $6.99

From the sounds of it, it is WP7 for sure. Wish there was a high res WP8 version.

Edit: Actually they just say Windows Phone so I'm not sure. It was developed on WP7 though.

I played it at PAX on the 360, and it seemed really fun. If I can convince a couple of my other friends to buy it, then I'll definitely be getting it on Win8 and WP. Otherwise probably just W8. It screeeeeaaaammsssss surface play.

PG2G

I get pretty much all my WP games for "free" due to Bing Rewards so I'll probably pick it up. Depending on how much I like it, might pick it up on Windows 8. Doubt it though

clav

Skulls of the Shogun will be released on all the MS platforms on the 30th :) . If you want all of the them it won't be cheap. Too bad there wasn't a discount for buying additional copies.

From the sounds of it, it is WP7 for sure. Wish there was a high res WP8 version.

Edit: Actually they just say Windows Phone so I'm not sure. It was developed on WP7 though.

Betrayalton

Missed opportunity for buy once and available for all platforms.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I would give AppoinTile a try. Pretty sweet. The live tile is much better than the regular calendar live tile.

hwalker84

Gotta love that Universal marketplace..... Sigh. Would love to pay once for the game on my Surface, 360 and WP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love that Universal marketplace..... Sigh. Would love to pay once for the game on my Surface, 360 and WP.

One of the dev's on the gaming side said this:

We have been working with Microsoft to work out some sort of bundle deal, but they don't have anything in place to support something like that at this time. Realize this sort of cross-platform functionality is in its infancy with MS, and hopefully it'll change in the future.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just happy that a good game is coming out and that it has asynchronous play over multiple devices. I can live with paying extra for now.

samsung just announced an 8-core mobile cpu. so much for WP catching up.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/01/10/exynos-5-octa

calling it 8 core is a bit shady... it has 4 high power cores and 4 low power ones, similar to Tegra 3 and Tegra 4 with their 4 high power cores and 1 low power. nobody calls Kal-El or Wayne Quinta Core or 5 Core...

One of the dev's on the gaming side said this:

crazy how Sony has this shit figured out, but Microsoft, the software masters, are way behind...

thirty

Banned
calling it 8 core is a bit shady... it has 4 high power cores and 4 low power ones, similar to Tegra 3 and Tegra 4 with their 4 high power cores and 1 low power. nobody calls Kal-El or Wayne Quinta Core or 5 Core...

crazy how Sony has this shit figured out, but Microsoft, the software masters, are way behind...
shady or not, it's more mindshare for android.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Sony having a more unified store I assume makes this much easier. I'm not sure why they couldn't do it where you buy one version and they send you a code for the others?

Lumia's got a new xbox game Picnic Wars. Nokia cares more about games than MS.

Also Fusion:Sentient has been made compatible.

Where is my Dodonpachi!!??

Also Microsoft Xbox division only wants to support their own product, I assume portable Xbox Surface and/or Xbox Loop is where they will be concentrating on.

Where is my Dodonpachi!!??

Also Microsoft Xbox division only wants to support their own product, I assume portable Xbox Surface and/or Xbox Loop is where they will be concentrating on.

Definately. Also whenever this comes up I keep on getting the metal image of Sinofsky sneaking into the xbox building to steal the APIs, only to bring them back and throw them all over the company.

"Everybody! We got the Keys! Go Crazy"

Definately. Also whenever this comes up I keep on getting the metal image of Sinofsky sneaking into the xbox building to steal the APIs, only to bring them back and throw them all over the company.

"Everybody! We got the Keys! Go Crazy"

Oprahs-Bees.gif

zedge

Been a day or two since we had some doom and gloom..

This is all anecdotal maybe but I wanted to get this off my chest.

Anyway, I have a ever growing sinking feeling that RIM is going to swoop in and handily snatch 3rd place off Microsoft. In fact, I would wager it will grow at a much faster pace than Windows phone has. Quite a few recent articles I have read regarding the new Blackberry devices and BB10 have been very positive. The overall mood of the tech media has changed quite a bit recently regarding RIM. If this does happen the shift of developers over to BBM who may have been considering WP apps will be bad news for WP as a platform.

Watching some newer hands on with BB10 I have been nothing but impressed with what I have seen. Sure it looks like a mash up of Web OS and Android but its fast, smooth, and seems to offer a bevy of features out of the box.. Unlike WP8 which in many ways is far behind the leading mobile OS's right now. Even many of Windows native apps are a complete joke on WP.

If this does happen Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves. In a way I am kinda rooting for RIM, more competition is a good thing. My concern is it will be at the detriment of Windows phone for the most part.

Flame me if you want, its just my thoughts.

I <3 my 920. :D

Can I just say that not having a way to turn on Wifi without opening system settings is total bullshit?

It's like they were working on a notification center with the rest of the stuff, then ran out of time. But it's just not complete without this stuff, guys.

Prime example of above.

jgkspsx

Can I just say that not having a way to turn on Wifi without opening system settings is total bullshit?

It's like they were working on a notification center with the rest of the stuff, then ran out of time. But it's just not complete without this stuff, guys.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

I don't have a WP but I think something like this would work http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/wifi/80401f49-9b4d-4def-b131-71c0a67f53ad

edit: or this http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/dashboard/a38526d8-b6c7-463e-a04f-a14c112d05a5

AnkitT

Anyway, I have a ever growing sinking feeling that RIM is going to swoop in and handily snatch 3rd place off Microsoft. In fact, I would wager it will grow at a much faster pace than Windows phone has. Quite a few recent articles I have read regarding the new Blackberry devices and BB10 have been very positive. The overall mood of the tech media has changed quite a bit recently regarding RIM. If this does happen the shift of developers over to BBM who may have been considering WP apps will be bad news for WP as a platform.

Watching some newer hands on with BB10 I have been nothing but impressed with what I have seen. Sure it looks like a mash up of Web OS and Android but its fast, smooth, and seems to offer a bevy of features out of the box.. Unlike WP8 which in many ways is far behind the leading mobile OS's right now. Even many of Windows native apps are a complete joke on WP.

If this does happen Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves. In a way I am kinda rooting for RIM, more competition is a good thing. My concern is it will be at the detriment of Windows phone for the most part.

Prime example of above.

This is one of the reasons why my next phone will not be a windows phone. Its been more than two years since wp7, and all the slack I was willing to give the OS ran out with the same song and dance being pushed on the user without any really movement/iteration apart from high resolution screens. I'll probably be sticking to my lumia 800 for this year though, which is good enough for me for the time being. Hopefully 7.8 is on the horizon.

Windows native apps? You mean like messaging and mail?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Those will hopefully improve. Even though Xbox Music needs a lot of work it is still one of my favorite things about the platform. Also little things like taking am extra second to turn off or on WiFi every now and then doesn't bother. The core things I need to do with a phone, WP does it well.

MCD

I really wish they would make tiles intractable. Like instead of only glance and go, we can toggle settings like WiFi on the tile itself without entering the app.

would be brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom