• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

What is good about it? Asking honestly.

I have used many BBs, and I still have a PlayBook that I use occasionally and the browser in all of them has been terrible.
1. Webkit / HTML5 support
2. It's made by RIM--one of the largest and most famous tech companies today. That pretty much guarantees it to be good.

Cipherr

This time of the year sucks so bad for mobile. All there really is new on the software front to talk about is Blackberry crap. I mean, I wish them the best but cmon.... Sucks a little that WP Android and iOS all have these 4Q major software launches, and then theres a dry spell until the summer.

giga

This time of the year sucks so bad for mobile. All there really is new on the software front to talk about is Blackberry crap. I mean, I wish them the best but cmon.... Sucks a little that WP Android and iOS all have these 4Q major software launches, and then theres a dry spell until the summer.
How dare you…

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how the lady in the BB commercials is going to send her 1000 emails a day with a touch keyboard. Guess that 0.3s will make the time.

Not sure how the lady in the BB commercials is going to send her 1000 emails a day with a touch keyboard. Guess that 0.3s will make the time.

5Rvea.jpg

There will be a version with a hardware keyboard and it will have the same magnificent browser. So not only can she type up to 0.8s faster, she still has the 0.3s advantage in browsing. She's also a Palm Pre owner, so the switch to BB10 will be very easy for her.

5Rvea.jpg

There will be a version with a hardware keyboard and it will have the same magnificent browser. So not only can she type up to 0.8s faster, she still has the 0.3s advantage in browsing. She's also a Palm Pre owner, so the switch to BB10 will be very easy for her.
Dat second savings

On the other hand, network conditions

I dunno if this question is just going to provoke rage over Zune or something (I never used it so I have no idea what that means actually), but what data is my Windows phone looking at when it pulls meta data for my mp3s? I've been using Mp3tag to try and tame my music collection, but when I copy my mp3s to my phone everything is messed up. Album art won't show, but only for some songs, two or three copies of the same album will show up on the phone, each with only half of the actual songs on the album, oh and my favorite is that for some reason (Album Version) is randomly added on to the end of some track names, even though those words are not contained anywhere in the mp3's ID3 tags.

What can I do to fix this?

Fjolle

Aw shit son. WP 7.8 waiting on Nokia's servers.

Sounds like we're definitely getting it before the end of the month, though I don't know if I buy the "steal BB10's thunder" angle.

Hasn't it been there for some time?

Is there a final list of 7.8 features somewhere?

• New home screen.
  • That is about it.

MWC is in a month. We'll see new Nokia phones. Believe!

thirty

Banned
I dunno if this question is just going to provoke rage over Zune or something (I never used it so I have no idea what that means actually), but what data is my Windows phone looking at when it pulls meta data for my mp3s? I've been using Mp3tag to try and tame my music collection, but when I copy my mp3s to my phone everything is messed up. Album art won't show, but only for some songs, two or three copies of the same album will show up on the phone, each with only half of the actual songs on the album, oh and my favorite is that for some reason (Album Version) is randomly added on to the end of some track names, even though those words are not contained anywhere in the mp3's ID3 tags.

I used Media Monkey on my PC to correct my MP3s but when I brought them over to my phone they came out fuked up.

I don't think there's a fix. Other than switching to BB10 that is.

frontieruk

Band fixes the multiple album thing, but generally it should show up in Zune how the phone displays it, just drag the mixed up albums together then use the get album info to wp the id3

If your using WP8...I know it sounds terrible, but if you use Windows Media Player it works beautifully in terms of keeping MetaData and album art. If you're using WP7.x, then Zune should do it automatically for you.. check your settings in the software to see if you have metadata override enabled (or whatever its called)

PG2G

I have found that the only really important tags are album artist and album name. If those two are the same, they should be grouped in the same album

ElNino

1. Webkit / HTML5 support
2. It's made by RIM--one of the largest and most famous tech companies today. That pretty much guarantees it to be good.
Have you used any RIM browsers before?

1) I have a Playbook which is also Webkit/HTML5 and it is terrible. It might "score" better then IE9/10/etc but using my Lumia 900 browser is almost always better than the Playbook (screen size not withstanding).

2) And MS is not a famous or large tech company?

Have you used any RIM browsers before?

1) I have a Playbook which is also Webkit/HTML5 and it is terrible. It might "score" better then IE9/10/etc but using my Lumia 900 browser is almost always better than the Playbook (screen size not withstanding).

2) And MS is not a famous or large tech company?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17t-_tr7UuU

And RIM is a phoenix, rising from the ashes, while Microsoft is still burning down.

One of the things I've learned from using a variety of browsers is that benchmarks are pretty much useless beyond a certain point. Network bottlenecks come into play more often than not on almost every network.

jmdajr

ATIV Odyssey coming out 01/24 on Verizon for $50 (after a $50 mail in rebate)

Full price? Any clue?

My HTC thunderbolt screen is going dead :(

Shit it had a good run, I didn't need a new phone but some keys on the touch screen no longer respond.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I must not post in religion threads or any non religion thread where the topic turns into religion. I must not post in religion threads or any non religion thread where the topic turns into religion. I must not post in religion threads or any non religion thread where the topic turns into religion.

Then I come back, and you guys are talking about BlackBerry again? Damn. Also, some of us are really easy to troll.

Also, the Gizmodo dude is right:
@jesusdiaz said:
@BenThePCGuy @windowsphone How short the spacebar is and how easy is to hit the comma. All,my messages,and, emails look,like this.

But the problem becomes much more pronounced when you add a second language to the keyboard, which I am using, and I assume he is too, cause it adds an extra item in the bottom row and shrinks the spacebar.

Also, I didn't even realize you can add a second language and switch on the fly until last week. Its made communicating with English and Spanish speaking friends a million times easier.

Also, the Gizmodo dude is right:

But the problem becomes much more pronounced when you add a second language to the keyboard, which I am using, and I assume he is too, cause it adds an extra item in the bottom row and shrinks the spacebar.

Also, I didn't even realize you can add a second language and switch on the fly until last week. Its made communicating with English and Spanish speaking friends a million times easier.

I have had zero problems with the space bar and comma key on WP8. However, I am constantly hitting the smiley icon instead of the comma key.

Info on WP 7.late:

Other new features include:

New Accent colors, matching Windows Phone 8, bringing the total to 20 + 1
Bing Wallpaper of the day, which will auto-update your lockscreen image. Sadly developers to not have access to this, meaning we don’t expect 3rd party 7.8 apps to have this feature.
New boot screen with updated WIndows Phone logo
New Office logo, though OneNote is not a seperate app like in WP8

There is no Wi-Fi keep-alive feature, no SMS-call reject and Internet Explorer as far as we can tell is exactly the same. In addition, Office and Zune Music were not updated to either current version or with their rebranding.

The oddest thing is how AT&T opted to have the “look” of the 7.8 match 7.5, meaning on a fresh install you can’t even tell there are different Tile sizes. Users will essentially have to discover this new change on their own.

So, resizable live tiles. Which is a big deal, to be fair, but third party apps can't even update the lock screen? Bummer.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Believe it is US, UK and Canada only for the app. You could probably just change regions and download if it you are not in those regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom