• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I find strange is that Local Scout worked on my Focus by changing the search region to US, but it doesn't work on my 920. Whhhhyyyyyyy?

MCD

Lol I should have bought the 8X. Good news though, because now I can rest assured that the future Surface phone will get Nokia Drive hehehe.

And for guys complaining about region, you can switch regions on the fly.

Go to settings and change country to US or whatever. Should work after a reboot and you can always revert back to whatever country you were on with no issue at all.

Troll

Banned
Damn, Apple just can't make investors happy no matter what. I dumped ~4k in Apple stock in August and I feel like a genius.

GREY LUMIA 920 FOR SALE

graylumia920.jpg

IN HONG KONG

Klocker

How in the HELL can there not be ONE credit card swiping company supporting WP?

Intuit even had an app that you could hand enter the card and now they even pulled it and all support for GoPAyment

WTF Microsoft, how in the hell are you letting this happen?

jagowar

Absurd they don't have universal apps.

Hopefully it will come with the next Xbox because it is just horrible to not have universal apps between phone, pc/tablet and Xbox.

The win8 one especially is awfully expensive... its as much as the full xbla game and doesn't have the real time multiplayer. For $15 I should get it on both automatically.

Hopefully it will come with the next Xbox because it is just horrible to not have universal apps between phone, pc/tablet and Xbox.

The win8 one especially is awfully expensive... its as much as the full xbla game and doesn't have the real time multiplayer. For $15 I shpuof get it on both automatically.

As a Developer, that's the main thing I am hoping for with the Xbox 720. They need to fix the create website and they also need to fix up the situation with Indie Games. Good thing though is that I'm like 70% sure that will fix these things when the next one comes out. Hopefully though, with the rumors of it running a version of the W8 Kernel it will mean more code is able to be compatible between the two.

...All that's left is for them to strengthen the APIs for WP8 to make it really easy to port from W8 to WP8.

PG2G

Absurd they don't have universal apps.

Universal apps would be very nice, I wouldn't call it absurd though. Microsoft is fairly in line with the other ecosystems in this area so there isn't really a precedent for it. I don't know that I'd expect it anytime soon either as all of the stores seem pretty independent.

Apple: iOS apps (iPhone, iPad) and OS X apps (OS X only)
Microsoft: WP apps (WP only), WinRT apps (Windows RT, Windows 8), Xbox apps (Xbox only)

I guess Android is kind of universal, but not every device has access to Google Play.

Hi guys. Im back on my hd7. So far I've had 3 HTC 8Xs. All has the Sim Card/reboot/shut off issue. If the next 8X im being shipped has those issues I will be sticking to my HD7. Sigh. If I wasn't stuck on a contract I'd switch to at&t or Verizon. T-mobile really needs the 920:(

Universal apps would be very nice, I wouldn't call it absurd though. Microsoft is fairly in line with the other ecosystems in this area so there isn't really a precedent for it. I don't know that I'd expect it anytime soon either as all of the stores seem pretty independent.

Apple: iOS apps (iPhone, iPad) and OS X apps (OS X only)
Microsoft: WP apps (WP only), WinRT apps (Windows RT, Windows 8), Xbox apps (Xbox only)

I guess Android is kind of universal, but not every device has access to Google Play.

The closest they have been for truly Universal apps was with XNA. If you were to say write for Windows (or xbox/zune and vice versa), there was an option if you right clicked on the solution which would create an Xbox or Zune codebase. With that, all you had to do was just change the 2 variables that contained screen size, re-size your images and change the spot in the 20 lines that contained your controls.

Too bad Nokia is broke.

ST-Ericsson Working With J.P. Morgan on Possible Sale, Other Options

JP Morgan Chase & Co. has been hired to explore options including a sale of ST-Ericsson, a money-losing joint venture between Swedish telecommunications giant Telefon AB L.M. Ericsson and STMicroelectronics NV, people familiar with the matter said.

Ericsson, a maker of mobile equipment, and STMicroelectronics, a Franco-Italian chip maker, are looking to sell their four-year-old cellphone-chip joint venture, ST-Ericsson amid losses.

STMicroelectronics NV said last month that it planned to exit the JV by end of this year’s third quarter. The company could try to sell the unit in its entirety or piecemeal, the people said. The process may not end in a sale, and it is unclear how much the companies are seeking for the joint venture.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2013/01/18/st-ericsson-hired-j-p-morgan-to-explore-options-possible-sale/

Cipherr

Too bad Nokia is broke.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT!

Nokia reports $585 million profit in Q4

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/24/3910528/nokia-q4-2012-financial-report-lumia-sales
As previously announced, the company sold 4.4 million Lumias over the quarter, a more-than 50 percent jump from Q3's 2.9 million, and its best quarter since launching its Windows Phone line. The uptick in sales contributed to €8.04 billion ($10.73 billion) in overall revenue for the quarter, which when balanced with Nokia's continued restructuring and other costs resulted in a €439 million ($585 million) profit. That's a significantly healthier figure than last quarter's $754 million loss, and a big improvement on Q4 2011's figure, a huge $1.2 billion deficit.

ISH85aV.jpg

I refuse to make new threads, someone else make one!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow, fantastic news. I'm definitely rooting for them, and I expect my next phone to be a Nokia, I'm just loving their hardware. I would have bailed out of windows phone ecosystem last fall were it not for the 920 and its great pricing, looks, and features. Was considering the Nexus 4.......glad I stuck around. I love the 920.

kazinova

Skulls of the Shogun gets special launch pricing on WP and Windows 8.

http://www.wpcentral.com/skulls-shogun-special-launch-pricing

WP 6.99->4.99
W8 14.99->9.99

This makes my purchasing decisions more flexible. Getting it on my 920 and my Surface, if my firends refuse to play asynch games (they claim they don't like asynchronous gaming) I can also get it on my Xbox and still only spend $30 which is only $5 more than what I feel like we would pay if you could buy all versions at once.

drspeedy

Gang, I'm in need of some help here.

I've been informed that my work phone (BB 9930) is being phased out and we're able to select either a Nokia Lumia 920 or HTC 8X- or the iPhone 5.

I know nearly zero about Win 8 or iPhones, what should I be looking for before I sign up for one? Main apps for me, like most business users, are MS Office, Sharepoint, the basic calendar and email functions. Being I'm a little more tech inclined than our basic users, I'd like to have something that I can use to its full potential; some moderate gaming, media, useful apps etc. are on my list of upgrades. Camera and screen size aren't really a concern, pretty much everything will be an upgrade from what I have.

Thoughts, GAF?

kharma45

I've been informed that my work phone (BB 9930) is being phased out and we're able to select either a Nokia Lumia 920 or HTC 8X- or the iPhone 5.

I know nearly zero about Win 8 or iPhones, what should I be looking for before I sign up for one? Main apps for me, like most business users, are MS Office, Sharepoint, the basic calendar and email functions. Being I'm a little more tech inclined than our basic users, I'd like to have something that I can use to its full potential; some moderate gaming, media, useful apps etc. are on my list of upgrades. Camera and screen size aren't really a concern, pretty much everything will be an upgrade from what I have.

Thoughts, GAF?

It'll all depend on what apps you need tbh, if they're quite niche then WP8 may well be out of the running for you unless there is a good mobile site.

Of course WP8 will tie well into the Office and SharePoint stuff but they are coming to iOS iirc. Gaming is also better on iOS for variety.

I'm staying out of the thread to keep my rage down. Probably my least favorite poster in GAF is in that thread.

Positive news for Nokia, looking forward to MWC.

zomg shitting on Nokia? Whilst he does know what he's talking about he does love Sony a lot.

hwalker84

I know nearly zero about Win 8 or iPhones, what should I be looking for before I sign up for one? Main apps for me, like most business users, are MS Office, Sharepoint, the basic calendar and email functions.

Thoughts, GAF?

WP8 hands down. I assume your company is an Exchange shop?

Thoughts, GAF?

Windows Phone has native Office (Word, PPT, Excel, OneNote) and Exchange support and I miss it on my Galaxy Nexus. Microsoft will release Office for iOS and Android eventually, but it won't be free.

If you want more than few good games, this is not the mobile OS you're looking for.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It'll all depend on what apps you need tbh, if they're quite niche then WP8 may well be out of the running for you unless there is a good mobile site.

Of course WP8 will tie well into the Office and SharePoint stuff but they are coming to iOS iirc. Gaming is also better on iOS for variety.

zomg shitting on Nokia? Whilst he does know what he's talking about he does love Sony a lot.

Yeah, Office is coming to those platforms, but is going to be free? Gaming is definitely better on iOS, but I find I still have more games than I have time to play on my 920.

drspeedy

As to apps, I only use a few since BB is fairly limited, but would love to have the option for something really functional, especially gaming since I've never really ventured into that arena. I don't need facebook or twitter apps, but things like dropbox, a good GPS, and a reasonable browser option (for GAF, of course!) are all on the radar.

How's the battery life compare? I need 8 hours...

WP8 hands down. I assume your company is an Exchange shop?

We are. Which brings up another point: Is there any lag between the Exchange servers and the phone? BB is usually faster than my inbox, but I've heard complaints that iPhone has delay times of few minutes up to a few hours due to how emails and calendar apps handle data.

kharma45

As to apps, I only use a few since BB is fairly limited, but would love to have the option for something really functional, especially gaming since I've never really ventured into that arena. I don't need facebook or twitter apps, but things like dropbox, a good GPS, and a reasonable browser option (for GAF, of course!) are all on the radar.

How's the battery life compare? I need 8 hours...

On the 920 it can vary, some people do get unlucky with it and have shit battery but I let my 920 completely run out there one day and I got ~28 hours from it, and that was with Wifi and 3G always on.

Apps wise yeah coming from Blackberry anything will be a bonus :p Dropbox you'll have to use a third party client and as for the browser IE10 is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom