• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Windows Phone is slowly growing in the EFIGS states, mostly due to Nokia I assume, while still standing still in the US and Asia.

NMKQt3O.png

Dropping in Germany and massively growing in Italy, while the US doesn't seem to care at all about Windows Phone. It's also "good" to see that the rumors about WP taking China by storm are BS as well. Always had a hard time believing it.

These number look a bit off to me for several reasons. For example others statistics said that WPs marketshare is much higher in Germany than 2.X% while 13.9 for Italy is almost too good to be true. And Android lost in the US compared to last year? What are these numbers exactly referring to? What's the source?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would definitely attribute any growth to Nokia in those places, they are really killing it when it comes to hardware and software. The platform itself seems to be clawing its way into relevance. I'm sure MS expected more, much more, but as a user I just need them to keep fighting. I don't need the platform to be 1st or 2nd, but I do need to see app store growth.

These number look a bit off to me for several reasons. For example others statistics said that WPs marketshare is much higher in Germany than 2.X% while 13.9 for Italy is almost too good to be true. And Android lost in the US compared to last year? What are these numbers exactly referring to? What's the source?

The numbers are from Kantar, a market research firm.

Kantar Worldpanel ComTech is the global expert in the telecommunications field, utilising our huge consumer panels to define the market in granular detail. Through our continuous survey methodology we offer our clients unique, detailed and actionable insights through our team of industry recognised experts.

Operational in 12 countries (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, USA, China, Japan, Australia, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico) Kantar Worldpanel ComTech is the reference guide for manufacturers, carriers, content providers and industry experts.

Here's their report: http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/Global/News/Windows-sees-strong-European-growth

Fjolle

Comparing with the data from a month before here.... Seems like BS :)

Or rather the result of a consumer panel (with an unknown number of participants), instead of actual market research.

What engines are they using for game development? I'm going to start messing around in development at some point soon.

We are using XNA this year just to get a taste for development on a wide scale using a full out project.. Next Semester we start with Unity and Direct X. So for now, for the people who said they are going to do it, we just target our XNA game for WP7 and then it will also run on WP8.

Lucifon

Windows Phone is slowly growing in the EFIGS states, mostly due to Nokia I assume, while still standing still in the US and Asia.

NMKQt3O.png

Dropping in Germany and massively growing in Italy, while the US doesn't seem to care at all about Windows Phone. It's also "good" to see that the rumors about WP taking China by storm are BS as well. Always had a hard time believing it.

The market share in Italy is incredibly surprising.

I think Europe is certainly the area where you'll see the biggest growth for the platform. When I was picking up my 920 on Sunday I asked the woman in the EE store what their biggest selling phone was at the moment and she said it's close between the iPhone5, S3 and 920 as the top 3. Also whilst I was sat sorting it all out a customer walked in asking if they'd be getting the Cyan 920's in.

WP8 is slowly picking up steam which is great to see.

Don't mean to bash or anything, but I personally see no future in Windows Phone. By the time Windows Phone catches up with todays competition, iOS and Android will be bigger and in the case of Android, more user friendly (I assume). iOS has been stagnant for years now and Microsoft didn't benefit from that. If, or when, Apple redesignes iOS, Microsoft will stand no chance at all I think.

MCD

Meh, I don't care about other OS crashing MS. I just need my Apollo+ update with notification center, easy settings on/off thingy like Android, more apps, better backup solution, game saves backup, more Xbox games, folders/hub, file explorer and joe belfiore fired because he is too sexy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What do you mean catch up? This isn't a linear thing, software doesn't work that way. There are things that wp8 does better than the competition, and vice versa. You have to decide what is important to you and buy into an ecosystem based on those factors. Or jump around and buy whatever you want, its just phones.

PG2G

I'm kind of ignorant about this, but is there actually a decent amount of indie games coming out of Japan for iOS and Android?

MCD

I guess it's like developing for the 360 over there.

lol

360 position is different, you can't ignore it if you wanna be successful in the west. At least with some big names like FF, MGS...etc

Niche/only popular in Japan titles skip it or at least they are skipping it now (see One Piece musou for example).

With WP though, MS needs every developer out there. MS invested big to grab Japanese/Sony exclusives.

And yet with WP, they can't grab big apps like Instagram. I really don't know WTF are they doing there at Redmond. Combing their sexy hair daily?

Troll

Banned
lol

360 position is different, you can't ignore it if you wanna be successful in the west. At least with some big names like FF, MGS...etc

Niche/only popular in Japan titles skip it or at least they are skipping it now (see One Piece musou for example).

With WP though, MS needs every developer out there. MS invested big to grab Japanese/Sony exclusives.

And yet with WP, they can't grab big apps like Instagram. I really don't know WTF are they doing there at Redmond. Combing their sexy hair daily?

I still can't believe that they haven't been able to just buy their way into an Instagram app deal yet. Especially with their relationship with FB.

MCD

I still can't believe that they haven't been able to just buy their way into an Instagram app deal yet. Especially with their relationship with FB.

Know what's worse? Explaining why X app isn't available yet to your friends and relatives. Or explaining why WhatsApp is utter dog shit compared to Android/iPhone.

3 of my friends bought Lumias and oh boy...telling them wasn't easy.

MCD

It will get it when the next big fud appears and then said app will refuse to support WP and the cycle will continue.

darkwing

btw did they finally update Skype to use the rear camera? my sister has been complaining about it on her Lumia

to think Vita has the option to switch between cameras when it was launched :X

kazinova

Took me long enough to figure out that the "FC" in FC Rocket stood for Flight Control, I guess I'll give it a try, I'm such a sucker for those types of games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Took me long enough to figure out that the "FC" in FC Rocket stood for Flight Control, I guess I'll give it a try, I'm such a sucker for those types of games.

I like it a lot. The only crappy thing is that they go crazy with micro-transactions (which are not necessary thankfully).

I want the platform to get an instagram app so we can finally stop talking about instagram.

Are you sure you want that? I mean, it doesn't stop there, you know? When Instagram releases a Windows Phone app, it's not about having or not having it, it's going to be about how it lags behind, compared to the Android/iOS app.

Are you ready for that, Van?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My body is ready for an instagram app.

I may not download it, but we can move the goalposts to something more useful, like a Nike or fitbit app.

Troll

Banned
The only apps that I want are Nike+ and Mint on WP. I was looking and that's the only real difference between the downloads on my phones. Well, besides games but that really isn't fair to compare because iOS just mushroom stamps WP without even trying.

Troll

Banned
It wasn't even a religious thread, per se. If he keeps getting his ass banned we'll have no one left in this thread not talking about BB10...

I stand alone against the torrent I suppose.

What's even worse is that I almost posted in here telling him to stay away from that thread, so this is all my fault. I saw this one coming from a mile away.

So, my 800 just did something weird. Plugged it into the computer this morning to check for updates, and left it plugged in during the day to charge. Sometime this afternoon, while I was working for school, the power cut out for a moment, forcing my computer to restart. Zune still recognized my 800 at that point, but when I tried activating it a few hours later, my phone was dead. Not even the hard and soft reset buttons worked. I ultimately plugged it into the wall socket again, and after a while the phone started vibrating and is now displaying a battery with one red bar on the bottom on screen. I still can't turn it on, though it randomly starts vibrating every few minutes.

I've long suspected this old computer's USB ports aren't exactly working right anymore, but even so, the phone's battery was still a third full when I plugged it in this morning, and I haven't done anything with it during the day. I'm not running any background apps that could drain my battery, either. Really weird that it just lost all of its charge like that.

AnkitT

What do you mean catch up? This isn't a linear thing, software doesn't work that way. There are things that wp8 does better than the competition, and vice versa. You have to decide what is important to you and buy into an ecosystem based on those factors. Or jump around and buy whatever you want, its just phones.

If not catch up then at least iterate a lot more or a lot quicker. It feels like we'restill in 2010 sans the HD screens and kids corner.

Aw shit son. WP 7.8 waiting on Nokia's servers.

Soon after Microsoft today announced the Windows Phone 7.8 SDK, we wrote how this was more evidence that the highly anticipated update is right around the corner. Bets are being traded on which carriers are first (and which are last), but we have one surprise for you: AT&T.

Peeking on Nokia’s own servers, we can now see the official Windows Phone 7.8 update and corresponding firmware now waiting to be released into the wild. Listed for all for color variants of the Lumia 900, the 7.8 update must have reached approval status very recently.

We’ve commented in the past that when these files, here labeled with the 8858 OS build number, show up on Nokia’s servers that it means its release is usually close. Since we’ve already landed on January 31st as the Windows Phone 7.8 Update Program kickoff, you can bet the Windows Phone “Premier Partner” AT&T will be there for their 900 users.

Sounds like we're definitely getting it before the end of the month, though I don't know if I buy the "steal BB10's thunder" angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom