• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
*buys HTC 8S*
*comes home*
*reads page*

You can't install apps to the Micro SD card? How did I miss that fucking vital detail?

iJH7iabtqX8a9.gif

You should ask for a refund. From the 4GB internal storage, around 1.5 GB is availible. That's lousy and unacceptable.

maeh2k

3.64g total

0bytes music + videos
1.84mb pictures
259.24mb apps
1.15g other (this seems to be the main issue)
2.02g system

187.02mb free space

Did you download any maps? Those don't go to the SD card either and can take up quite a bit of space.
Any apps that download something? Maybe just lots of apps.

maeh2k

You should ask for a refund. From the 4GB internal storage, around 1.5 GB is availible. That's lousy and unacceptable.

For light app users that should easily be enough. I probably don't even use that much on my Windows Phone. Most of the apps I do use are tiny (~10 MB). Maybe a handful of apps (games) that take up more space (maybe 30 MB to 60 MB).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia is launching Nokia Music+ which will a subscription service for #3.99 a month and will be coming to 24 territories.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/01/27/more-from-your-music/

edit:

Unlimited skips. Whether you like to skip from track to track, or just want extra control over what you hear. There’s no stopping you with Nokia Music+.

Unlimited downloads. The free service allows you to download up to four Mixes (each of which contains hours of music) and play them without an Internet connection. The paid service removes this limit – you can download a massive supply of offline music you can swap as you wish.

Higher quality. We were surprised by the high quality of streaming music from Nokia Music, even over a 2.5G connection. Nokia Music+ allows you to download music at eight times the existing quality. Plus, you can set rules to only download high quality when you’re on WiFi, for example.

Lyrics. Words to the songs you’re listening to, right on your Nokia Lumia. Either in a scrolling list, Karaoke-style format, or a display you can scroll up and down.

On your desktop. The Nokia Music+ subscription also gives you access to the service without your phone. A web-app gives you the ability to play Mixes on your computer, smart TV or other connected screens.

Yeah, I should, but I live an hour from the store, so the next chance I can go back is next Saturday..

Aside from that I quite like the phone. Wish the live tile for Rowi was a bit better.

PG2G

That's installing from SD card, not to. You can't install apps to SD card unfortunately.

What Microsoft needs to do is give people mire visibility into "other". Are text message threads with images taking all of your space? Sync'd emails? Data from specific apps?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's installing from SD card, not to. You can't install apps to SD card unfortunately.

What Microsoft needs to do is give people mire visibility into "other". Are text message threads with images taking all of your space? Sync'd emails? Data from specific apps?

Gah, got excited there for a second. Maybe Apollo+

Also Nokia's music service could be tempting if the library is good.

Klocker

How is it that Evernote can load all it's notes and sync fast as hell and OneNote which should be just as fast is a DOG on my phone?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did a search of an NHL player with Bing and it brings up a pic, his current stats as well as the teams last three results. Pretty cool, don't know when it started doing that.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pretty cool to see in the release notes for that TVShow app that the new WP8 version now includes support for the Voice commands. Could someone give a minireview of how well it works? Is there a list of all apps updated for WP8 using the new features? We should get a petition going for Whatsapp for add that feature...

Hey all. MCD was kind enough to invite me to this thread, so here I am. I appreciate the linkage to my WPCentral articles. :)

It's actually a harder nut to crack than most people think. A user who only wants the game for his phone isn't going to be happy paying $15-30 for it.

Right now there isn't some magic engine that you just toss a game's code into and out pops three different versions for you to sell. In other words, it's a fair amount of work getting the same game to run on all three platforms. Windows 8 and WP8 are similar, but even then it still takes some work. I will try to work some concrete technical details into a future article (either How Microsoft can save Xbox WP Part 2 or a different one).

That said, I agree that developers should at least have the option of selling both the Windows 8 and WP8 versions together in a bundle. That's basically how Skulls' launch pricing works = $15 for both portable versions, basically the same price as the XBLA game by itself.
Actually the truth lies in the framework/language used to develop the application/game. With XNA their was the ability to have the compiler spit out code for another platform XNA Supported. Even with MonoGame you can have it compile for another platform. Pretty much though, the main thing you had to worry about was changing controller input and resizing your image assets. After that you had a fully playable version of your game for a separate platform. You just needed to retest everything to ensure that nothing broke in the process. MSDN Source.

To be honest though, Microsoft should really stop burning through frameworks and languages... I mean it seems like every 3 years they come out with a new framework/language only for the sake of burning the previous popular bridge thereby forcing everyone to relearn how to do the simplest of tasks. Its insane. Pick something and stick with it.

PG2G

XNA always came off of a "game development for beginners" kind of thing so I'm glad its not their final choice. From a performance and portability perspective, C++/DirectX seems like the proper choice.

Hopefully they don't change their mind again.

XNA always came off of a "game development for beginners" kind of thing so I'm glad its not their final choice. From a performance and portability perspective, C++/DirectX seems like the proper choice.

Hopefully they don't change their mind again.
I would consider it Game Development for Beginners and Intermediates. There was some pretty advanced features in there. In fact, a good portion of indie games on steam use XNA. It was also popular in the prototyping communities because you could punch out a basic tech demo in a week whereas with C++/Direct-X it would take you a few months. The downside with XNA though is that it isn't as powerful. On the other hand, C++/DirectX is the full out professional production toolset. Its great for everything and anything. The downside is that it takes forever to learn and severely cuts down on production from hobbyists and the beginner-intermediate group. Not to mention it can have some wild fps if not careful enough.

I do agree though that C++ is a proper choice for them to support (infact I'm just starting to get into it myself), but I don't think it should be the only one though, the best of both worlds is to support both. You have the low level language for those who are learning and for those who dont want to jump into C++ yet, and you have the high level language for the hardcore programmers. Look at it this way, there was a reason that they created XNA; one of them was to help programmers reduce the usage of Complex Boilerplate Code and the other was because people get motivated to learn more about programming when they can see results early on. It's more fun watching a sprite slide into a wall and bounce off than it is watching a console window spit out the text you told it to.

Even if they only updated it once every 2 years to add in the new API calls to the phone and add nothing else, think of all of the new apps that we can get. Think of all the neat concepts that have been born out of the XNA Game Jams Microsoft held every year that we are missing out on.

Pretty cool to see in the release notes for that TVShow app that the new WP8 version now includes support for the Voice commands. Could someone give a minireview of how well it works? Is there a list of all apps updated for WP8 using the new features? We should get a petition going for Whatsapp for add that feature...

Using it on 7.5, but I recently added all my shows to the app, great app.

eastx

Actually the truth lies in the framework/language used to develop the application/game. With XNA their was the ability to have the compiler spit out code for another platform XNA Supported. Even with MonoGame you can have it compile for another platform. Pretty much though, the main thing you had to worry about was changing controller input and resizing your image assets. After that you had a fully playable version of your game for a separate platform. You just needed to retest everything to ensure that nothing broke in the process. MSDN Source.

Nicely said. I was very sleepy and specifically thinking of C++ scenarios, which I admit doesn't apply to Skulls since it's an XNA game ported to Windows 8 via a modified version of MonoGame.

Here's a brief developer quote about porting from Windows 8 to WP8:

The bulk of a C++ game can be mostly ported directly to Windows Phone 8 from Windows 8. What takes the extra time are the platform and API differences, primarily in the shell around the core game, and there are enough of these for a C++ developer to make them dedicate a few resources to just tackling those issues.

I think the porting between platforms will get much easier for many developers once Unity finally comes around. The people behind MonoGame are also doing great work there.

Fjolle

Don't worry. iPhones have the same problem. Microsoft will have to change it when Apple sues them for it.

Line Messenger updated for Windows Phone 8 :) Now we have message notifications on the lockscreen, and other stuff I haven't noticed yet - besides that now it is full screen.

I think Windows Phone (8) would benefit greatly from Windows 8 style minimalistic/tribal backgrounds on the startscreen or throughout the UI. The black is really starting to get boring.

I think Windows Phone (8) would benefit greatly from Windows 8 style minimalistic/tribal backgrounds on the startscreen or throughout the UI. The black is really starting to get boring.

The teams really need to get together for more unity with live tiles and design. I am not a fan of the way that W8 apps use live tiles for showing information. On WP8, I like how you usually have the option of letting the article image take up the entirety of the tile...for many W8 apps, it's "windowed" within the tile and looks pretty ugly, IMO. An image on a tile on the Start screen=ugly.

PG2G

If your start screen is starting to look boring you probably need to get some more visually interesting tiles and apps on there. The tiles are so close together that a background probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

If your start screen is starting to look boring you probably need to get some more visually interesting tiles and apps on there. The tiles are so close together that a background probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

It would make a difference, especially when you're pressing the home button and exiting an app. You see the background with the homescreen animation. I don't know how I can visualise it or explain it, but I'm having this image of Windows 8 style backgrounds on Windows Phone in my head and it looks great :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've been meaning to ask this in between all the bans I've gotten recently:

For the folks who moved to WP8 devices with an HD screen, how has that upgrade been for you? I remember that HD screens was a feature that we were all told would be a huge benefit moving from wp7.5, which didn't support it. I definitely enjoy having a high def screen, but how does everyone here feel about it and how it has or has not improved the WP experience? Also, is 1080p now something you think you need to have?

kharma45

For the folks who moved to WP8 devices with an HD screen, how has that upgrade been for you? I remember that HD screens was a feature that we were all told would be a huge benefit moving from wp7.5, which didn't support it. I definitely enjoy having a high def screen, but how does everyone here feel about it and how it has or has not improved the WP experience? Also, is 1080p now something you think you need to have?

Big upgrade, had to go back to my Optimus 7 and it's night and day.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I really enjoy having an HD screen. To be honest though I think my 900 screen would still hold up really well. I definitely don't feel the need for 1080p on 4.5" or less device,

frontieruk

I miss the 8X but i think its more due to the audio than the screen... oh and it was so much quicker than the 710 i'm putting up with atm

and not really.

I can't really comment since I don't own a WP device òr an HD Device, but I've played around with enough HD devices, be WP or Android and I have to say that HD is the most overrated fad ever. 800x480 is fine. 720p is a luxury but nice, but 1080p is absolute overkill. Rediculous and unnececary on smartphones. I think 720 is the sweet spot.

I can't really comment since I don't own a WP device òr an HD Device, but I've played around with enough HD devices, be WP or Android and I have to say that HD is the most overrated fad ever. 800x480 is fine. 720p is a luxury but nice, but 1080p is absolute overkill. Rediculous and unnececary on smartphones. I think 720 is the sweet spot.

How is 720p "the sweet spot", when 1080p displays can be the same size (at least 4.7")? Are you suddenly going "ohhh nooo, this is too crisp! too much ... ppi ... can't process ...!"?

joshschw

The screen quality is much more of a factor than the resolution. 800x480 was and still is certainly enough...

comparing my 920 to friends 820... Ya I like the 920 screen more, but no real difference in terms of resolution.

Both are big jump from the HTC Trophy screen I used to have, and as well as the Lumia 710 screen I had as well.

How is 720p "the sweet spot", when 1080p displays can be the same size (at least 4.7")? Are you suddenly going "ohhh nooo, this is too crisp! too much ... ppi ... can't process ...!"?

Displaying in 1080p requires more processing power than displaying in 720p. The whole reason displays are going big is because of the rediculous craving for higher resolutions. The Xperia S or even the 8X are decent sized phones on 4.3" displays.

I'd rather have 720p on a reasonable sized phone than 1080p on a huge phone. I don't see the merits of 1080p over 720p. Yes, it's crisper. Added to that, I imagine 1080p screens beeing much more expensive than 720p screens. Invest that money somewhere else.

JaggedSac

Have there been any studies about the battery life cost of higher res screens? Perhaps a phone with the exact same innards and software except one has 720p and the other 1080p?

derFeef

My father got my 800 and I set it up this weekend properly - I could never go back. the homescreen is alright, but everything else from browsing to videos to games is so much better on the higher resolution screen on my 8X.

kazinova

How is 720p "the sweet spot", when 1080p displays can be the same size? Are you suddenly going "ohhh nooo, this is too crisp! too much ... ppi ... can't process ...!"?

It will get to the point where you don't get any clarity benefit. And that point will probably vary from person to person. I can't hold my 920 close enough to see any pixels, so I don't think I'd want to pay for a higher pixel density screen. 1080p might be necessary on a larger phone though.

Density matters more than pixel count for determining a "sweet spot".

My father got my 800 and I set it up this weekend properly - I could never go back. the homescreen is alright, but everything else from browsing to videos to games is so much better on the higher resolution screen on my 8X.

Your screen was already lower res than the average WVGA screen, due to the pentile matrix. It's the same with my Galaxy Nexus, compared to real 720p phones.

For those of you who watch tv shows regularly, the TVShow app is a must. Gorgeous app, with lockscreen support, live tiles....just awesome. Now my lockscreen is a picture of the tv show that is on each night.

At least "frequent updates and innovation" isn't a point for iOS anymore, when it comes to WP vs iOS discussions.

The WP team has now all the time in the world to catch up.

this_guy

Displaying in 1080p requires more processing power than displaying in 720p. The whole reason displays are going big is because of the rediculous craving for higher resolutions. The Xperia S or even the One X are decent sized phones on 4.3" displays.

I'd rather have 720p on a reasonable sized phone than 1080p on a huge phone. I don't see the merits of 1080p over 720p. Yes, it's crisper. Added to that, I imagine 1080p screens beeing much more expensive than 720p screens. Invest that money somewhere else.

HTC One X has a 4.7" screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom