• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

Here is a nice write up of a guy from anandtech's experience with the HTC 8X.

He is pretty positive about it in the usual ways that someone who enjoys Windows Phone is. But I didn't think the tap to go to the next direction in Bing Maps was a big deal, apparently it is.

By the way, I bought my little brother an Omnia 7 too :) My mom and brother have an Omnia 7 now. Pretty rediculous to think every single one of us has a smartphone.

Youngest brother: Xperia Tipo
Youger brother: Omnia 7
Me: HTC HD2
Brother: Blackberry something
Dad: Galaxy S
Mom: Omnia 7

NeOak

By the way, I bought my little brother an Omnia 7 too :) My mom and brother have an Omnia 7 now. Pretty rediculous to think every single one of us has a smartphone.

My dad, mom, two brothers and I have 920s with AT&T.

It feels weird indeed.

Me too. I actually wish my Titan would get 7.8 just so that I could have that updated home screen.

Well yeah I hope anyone that upgrades to 7.8 does it for the new Start Screen because that's pretty much the only major feature of the update.

AT&T Titan will never get 7.8 :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Your brother doesn't own a smartphone.

Troll

Banned
Your brother doesn't own a smartphone.

tumblr_mbv6nvejCR1qmzxy4o3_400.gif

thirty

Banned
BB8100 also had notification lights that were customizable and WiFi 3rd party apps where it would turn my WiFi on/off using the GPS for proximity.

Again, 5-6 yrs ago!!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
umm, I had the Pandora app on my BB8100 5-6 yrs ago. That's 5-6 yrs ago!!! Pandora has yet to release on WP, WTF.

You're right. Plus the Playbook plays flash! Adobe flash!

No seriously, I thought we had better metrics for modern operating systems than having app x or cut and paste.

Cut and paste is really good on WP8, by the way. Coming from iOS, the little cursor that pops up on WP8 when you hold your finger down over text is infinitely more useable than just stabbing at my iPhone and hoping it would put the cursor where I want.

zedge

Cut and paste is really good on WP8, by the way. Coming from iOS, the little cursor that pops up on WP8 when you hold your finger down over text is infinitely more useable than just stabbing at my iPhone and hoping it would put the cursor where I want.

I love this in WP.

dLMN8R

Going back to the last page, I think the 720p screen on my Lumia 920 is absolutely gorgeous. The only way I can see any individual pixels is if I put it half an inch from my screen and squint.

The idea of a 1080p screen on a device this size is just plain fucking retarded. It's one of the most wasteful and pointless technological advancements I've ever seen, and it's absolutely infuriating that the tech press is going along with it like it matters.

It doesn't. It's a waste of manufacturing capacity, it's a waste of battery capacity, it's a waste of SOC performance, and it's a waste of engineering talent that could be solving so much more interesting problems.

Going back to the last page, I think the 720p screen on my Lumia 920 is absolutely gorgeous. The only way I can see any individual pixels is if I put it half an inch from my screen and squint.

The idea of a 1080p screen on a device this size is just plain fucking retarded. It's one of the most wasteful and pointless technological advancements I've ever seen, and it's absolutely infuriating that the tech press is going along with it like it matters.

It doesn't. It's a waste of manufacturing capacity, it's a waste of battery capacity, it's a waste of SOC performance, and it's a waste of engineering talent that could be solving so much more interesting problems.

To continue, I absolutely love the 720p screen on my 920. Its clear, the blacks are deep and the quality it puts out is amazing and consistent. I swear its like black magic what they are doing.

Lucius86

Banned

I could see both sides of the coin here, until I held my Lumia 920 as close to my eyes as possible whilst remaining in-focus thanks to this debate, and I couldn't see any individual pixels whatsoever.

1080P on a phone of this size is not required.

I totally disagree, my brother iPhone 5 retina is overkill for such small size but I am not going to deny that it is not absolutely beautiful.

I think Microsoft is missing another boat here not having 1080p for the upcoming plabet devices is a dumb move. I really don't understand why spend all the goodwill to yet do another reset and still running behind. Google and Apple are ahead because they just don't settle to be just "good enough".

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The iPhone 5 has a lower ppi than both the 920 and the 8x. How is that somehow more than good enough yet MS is slacking on resolution in your view?

hadareud

The Translator
But the 920 has a higher ppi density as well as a higher resolution as the iPhone 5, or am I missing something?

That's not to say that they shouldn't support 1080p, because they should. For a Note-like sized phone, 1080p is definitely not overkill, for instance.

It seems like an artificial limitation anyway. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to lift it with an update.

The iPhone 5 has a lower ppi than both the 920 and the 8x. How is that somehow more than good enough yet MS is slacking on resolution in your view?

Because it's not a matter of how one perceives it. It doesn't matter if the Lumia 920 or whatever have a higher PPI than anything else while beeing 720p. If 1080p becomes the new standard, you can't rely on "but 720p looks just as good".
Which is also Windows Phones' problem in in the WP7 era. I know WP7 performs amazingly on 512 megs of ram and a single core CPU. But that's not what people look at when they buy stuff. The Lumia 800/900 were launched with prices competing with Xperia S/ HTC Sensation and Galaxy SII. While the user experience was at least on par, when you put the phones side by side, the specs of the other phones outclass the specs of Windows Phone. That's what consumers look into.

Imagine Lumia 920 side by side with an Xperia ZL for example. Both about the same size and the Lumia 920 is sure as hell fast enough to provide a good user experience. Say you can't choose between the two. You look at the spec sheet:
Quad vs. Dual
1080p vs. 720p
2GB ram vs. 1GB ram

It's human nature to go with the best specs. If I were to choose between two phones who look and perform exactly the same, but the one has better specs than the other, I'd go with the one with the better specs.

So Microsoft needs to catch up, nog because they need to but because they must to stay relevant.

It's a 4" screen with almost the sane PPI as Lumia 920 ...

Why not put out 1080p if you are going to bother resetting the OS again. By next year Note size device will be common.

Cipherr

Regardless of what one feels to be 'overkill'. The fact of the matter, is every major OEM is shifting to 1080p displays. Every single major OEM. Sony, HTC, Samsung, LG, all of them.

They should be able to use the displays they are creating for their 2013 Android flagships, in their 2013 Windows Phone flagships. Maintain hardware and component equality with the field, there's little to no reason not to just create the compatibility. Worry about the rest later. They had this exact same problem back when earlier WP didn't support 720p yet when the OEM's were switching to that new resolution around the tail end of 2011.

hadareud

The Translator
Do we actually know that this is an actual limitation of the OS and not just an artificial one for the first generation of devices on it?

I don't think we do.

As for the iphone I really don't get that argument.

Lucius86

Banned
It's a 4" screen with almost the sane PPI as Lumia 920 ...

Why not put out 1080p if you are going to bother resetting the OS again. By next year Note size device will be common.

Allowing software support for it I can get behind and agree wit. Because it allows greater freedom in what manufacturers do and create (i.e. larger devices in this case).

But manufacturers should have no need to actually implement 1080P on a device that's the size of a Lumia 920. Because, for me at least by holding the phone as close to my face as I could whilst still in focus, I cannot technically see how we can notice the difference in resolution. It's close to, or at, the limit of what humans can see.

It's the first time I can think of where a technical innovation has pretty much hit a wall where improvement can't be had. This is only just one aspect of a display - obviously viewing angles, colour refinements etc. can be improved.

I don't get the iPhone comparison argument at all.

Fjolle

Because it's not a matter of how one perceives it. It doesn't matter if the Lumia 920 or whatever have a higher PPI than anything else while beeing 720p. If 1080p becomes the new standard, you can't rely on "but 720p looks just as good".
Which is also Windows Phones' problem in in the WP7 era. I know WP7 performs amazingly on 512 megs of ram and a single core CPU. But that's not what people look at when they buy stuff. The Lumia 800/900 were launched with prices competing with Xperia S/ HTC Sensation and Galaxy SII. While the user experience was at least on par, when you put the phones side by side, the specs of the other phones outclass the specs of Windows Phone. That's what consumers look into.

Imagine Lumia 920 side by side with an Xperia ZL for example. Both about the same size and the Lumia 920 is sure as hell fast enough to provide a good user experience. Say you can't choose between the two. You look at the spec sheet:
Quad vs. Dual
1080p vs. 720p
2GB ram vs. 1GB ram

It's human nature to go with the best specs. If I were to choose between two phones who look and perform exactly the same, but the one has better specs than the other, I'd go with the one with the better specs.

So Microsoft needs to catch up, nog because they need to but because they must to stay relevant.

If you look at the specs you would think that the Xperia will need to push 4 times the pixels shoul be compared to a single core with 512 MB ram :)

And I hope that we'll get some nice 4" phones soon. The 920 is way to big for me already :(

Cipherr

Do we actually know that this is an actual limitation of the OS and not just an artificial one for the first generation of devices on it?

I don't think we do.

Im going on what I read last year.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/windows-phone-8-to-support-multi-core-cpus-hd-resolutions/

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-summit-new-resolutions-revealed-windows-phone-8

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-notes-sdk-143827

http://wmpoweruser.com/the-4-windows-phone-8-screen-resolutions-revealed/

It would be great if they changed it since then though. It definitely needs to be done, its very clear that 2013 flagships will be 1080p pretty much across the board.

hadareud

The Translator

No I know that they said that, but I don't see why this shouldn't be able be lifted in an update. The OS already supports multiple resolutions, so adding another one shouldn't be too much of a problem, really.

Same with multi-cores, if the OS supports dual core then there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't support quad core (though iirc they already said dual core and more in one of the slides).

It's the first time I can think of where a technical innovation has pretty much hit a wall where improvement can't be had. This is only just one aspect of a display - obviously viewing angles, colour refinements etc. can be improved.

I don't get the iPhone comparison argument at all.

You guys need to stop with selective reading. Original comment was on how 1080p is overkill and 720p is good enough. My comment was iPhone resolution is overkill for 4" screen but it does look great, then of course Van jump in about how it has lower PPI than Lumia 920, which is not the original complain.

My point is Microsoft just reset the OS again and instead of planning ahead they are again doing catch up (for what ever reason be it turf wars with Windows team or their own incompetent) They are again behind where the market is going. While I also feel the Note is ridiculous, they are very poplar. Even my die hard Apple fanboy brother is thinking about replace his iPad and phone with just the Note.

I am visiting my family in Thailand, and my brother said people here are pretty annoy with the reset since many just bought the 900. They all feel that Windows Phone is behind the other two even if it is just perception.

All I can say is Nokia is awesome, and I think they do more for the platform than Microsoft.

Cipherr

No I know that they said that, but I don't see why this shouldn't be able be lifted in an update. The OS already supports multiple resolutions, so adding another one shouldn't be too much of a problem, really.

Same with multi-cores, if the OS supports dual core then there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't support quad core (though iirc they already said dual core and more in one of the slides).

Oh, yeah I'm sure its just a software update away. It should be able to be patched in pretty easily I would imagine, and they should patch in 1080p and a few higher resolutions at the same time. Anything above 1080p sounds absurd, but a year and 3 months ago, so did 1080p. /shrug.

Nero3000

I think in certain countries, a 1080p display would be a useful improvement.

toshiba-498ppi-display-2.jpg

Considering the typographic design of Windows Phone this would be quite a sight to behold with the asian characters.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You guys need to stop with selective reading. Original comment was on how 1080p is overkill and 720p is good enough. My comment was iPhone resolution is overkill for 4" screen but it does look great, then of course Van jump in about how it has lower PPI than Lumia 920, which is not the original complain.

But it DOES have to do with PPI! You are basically saying Apple went above and beyond while MS is slacking on resolution even though the PPI (hence the "retina") is better on the 920 and 8x. You would have a point if you just mentioned android 1080p devices, but if you bring the iPhone into the discussion, your argument falls apart.

But it DOES have to do with PPI! You are basically saying Apple went above and beyond while MS is slacking on resolution even though the PPI (hence the "retina") is better on the 920 and 8x. You would have a point if you just mentioned android 1080p devices, but if you bring the iPhone into the discussion, your argument falls apart.

His argument was that 1080p is overkill for Lumia 920 size device, my argument is that it may be overkill but look at Apple 4" device the ppi is overkill but it does look nice. Apple probably could get away with less but they did not and promote higher resolution even if the screen is small. I am not sure how is my argument fall apart.

Microsoft did the same with Surface, sure it look nice but really they could do better. I am not sure why they are always behind the time.

Anyway I am tired of explaining if you don't feel that Microsoft could do better then fine. HTC already cancel their next Windows Phone because of the lack of 1080p support, if you don't think this will hurt then you are really really optimistic about Windows Phone.

I'm having trouble with my 920. Xbox music decided to stop working. It says it can't obtain the media rights for the songs on my phone.

I've tried searching for solutions, including syncing my main email account, messing with time settings, redownloading music, restarting my phone over and over, ensuring that my music pass was still active (it is), and a few other random "solutions" I found through Google. Nothing works.

Any ideas? I plan on calling MS this evening if I can't fix it.

Have there been any studies about the battery life cost of higher res screens? Perhaps a phone with the exact same innards and software except one has 720p and the other 1080p?

iPad 2 to iPad 3 has the same screen size, but massively increased resolution. The battery is substantially larger (and the case is thicker as a result) but battery life is the same. More light is needed to push an image through higher pixel density.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having trouble with my 920. Xbox music decided to stop working. It says it can't obtain the media rights for the songs on my phone.

I've tried searching for solutions, including syncing my main email account, messing with time settings, redownloading music, restarting my phone over and over, ensuring that my music pass was still active (it is), and a few other random "solutions" I found through Google. Nothing works.

Any ideas? I plan on calling MS this evening if I can't fix it.

When mine does that it will cycle through each song in the album giving me the message, then I hit the back button, press the album again and it works.

JaggedSac

iPad 2 to iPad 3 has the same screen size, but massively increased resolution. The battery is substantially larger (and the case is thicker as a result) but battery life is the same. More light is needed to push an image through higher pixel density.

They didn't change any of internals(SoC, RAM, etc) between those generations?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
His argument was that 1080p is overkill for Lumia 920 size device, my argument is that it may be overkill but look at Apple 4" device the ppi is overkill but it does look nice. Apple probably could get away with less but they did not and promote higher resolution even if the screen is small. I am not sure how is my argument fall apart.

Ok, I'll try one more time: I have no problem with the suggestion that WP should support 1080p resolution, regardless of usefulness. I DO have a problem with you acting like that sub-HD panel on the iPhone 5 is an example of Apple going above and beyond. The PPI is lower than that of the 920 and 8x. If Apple had placed a 720p screen on the 5, so that the PPI were comparable to a 1080p android phone, you'd have a valid argument including Apple. As it is, android 1080p phones support your argument about going above and beyond what is deemed necessary....iphone 5 does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom