• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the notifications section in the Games Hub they changed the icon picture. Interesting that they could do that without an update.

Yeah they must be able to change some notification stuff without a client update, the tile notification of the Facebook app changed some time ago without an update to the app (on 7.x as well has 8).

NeOak

Wife and I each got a Note II the other day, my son decided he didn't want a new phone. So, I figured why not get one anyway. Picked up a Lumia 920.

I'm trying really hard to like it, I actually feel drawn to it, but it's just so underwhelming. Surely I'm missing something, there must be more to it than a tile screen and an all apps screen, right? It'll be an extra phone for me, something to play with, couldn't see using it as my primary phone. Luckily, with no sim card in it still functions as a 'Zune', which it seems to be very good at.

I like the interface, most apps maintain the feel, which is nice. It's the tiles that are bugging me. I want tiles that give me useful info; free space, etc. Best I could find was a battery live tile, which doesn't seem to really be live, doesn't update itself.

Convince me WP gaf, I wanna be on the team. I'd still put it above iphone personally.

Unfortunately, without the phone part, it feels too gimped.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Weatherflow and TV Show have very nice live tiles. For myself having tile saying how much free space I have would be silly. Definitely something I don't need to know.

dLMN8R

Wife and I each got a Note II the other day, my son decided he didn't want a new phone. So, I figured why not get one anyway. Picked up a Lumia 920.

I'm trying really hard to like it, I actually feel drawn to it, but it's just so underwhelming. Surely I'm missing something, there must be more to it than a tile screen and an all apps screen, right? It'll be an extra phone for me, something to play with, couldn't see using it as my primary phone. Luckily, with no sim card in it still functions as a 'Zune', which it seems to be very good at.

I like the interface, most apps maintain the feel, which is nice. It's the tiles that are bugging me. I want tiles that give me useful info; free space, etc. Best I could find was a battery live tile, which doesn't seem to really be live, doesn't update itself.

Convince me WP gaf, I wanna be on the team. I'd still put it above iphone personally.

Live tiles are deliberately limited by the system to preserve battery life. They're not genuinely live widgets, they're representations on which apps can choose to display whatever they want, and update them periodically either from push notifications or background tasks from the apps. In both cases, they're limited to updating only once every 15-30 minutes or so.

Once you get some apps with nice live tiles, it starts to make a lot of sense. Weather apps and stock apps make great use out of them. And the best once will include a little time indicator on the live tile so you can be confident in knowing exactly when the tile was last updated.

Check out these apps for awesome live tiles:

Weather Flow
Amazing Weather
My Stocks

I use live tiles for both weather apps, as wide live tiles. Weather Flow gives me the current weather and hourly forecast for the day, while Amazing Weather gives me a forecast for the rest of the week

Weather Flow in particular is great because it can also update your lock screen. I like having the Bing image of the day as my lock screen, and Weather Flow can combine that Bing image with a small weather display too. Though you can configure it however you want.

PG2G

I wonder if we'll ever get something like the INRIX video from the WP8 unveil, where the lady got in her car and it automatically started talking about the traffic and which way to go and what not.

Everytime I see INRIX updated I get excited... and then disappointed. New version has a nice feature where you can define your home and work locations and it will tell you the destination times and routes. Would be nice if you could define more places though. It'd also be nice if Nokia Drive had decent traffic data so I could just use that :/

So my Calendar tile keeps displaying a meeting from two days ago. I deleted that meeting from my calendar, unpinned and repined the tile, and even removed the account with that calendar item from my phone and re-added it, and it's still there. Help? (7.5)

If anyone here has a crunchyroll subscription, can you try logging into the WP APP and playing a random video? For some reason it seems like its crashing or auto closing the app every time that I log in. It started doing this about a week ago and I'm not sure if its just my phone or if its the app. Although I have already tried re-installing it and that didn't solve anything.

I just want to see if its affecting anyone else other than myself before I file a bug report.

Overdoziz

Banned
So is there any word on whether or not your can install apps on your SD card instead of on the phone's storage on the HTC WP 8S in the future? The phone only comes with around 3gig storage of which 2 is taken by the OS so there's not a lot of space left for other stuff, especially since the "other" file seems to be mysteriously filling itself up. I've got only got around 250mb left and a get a warning message regularly which is starting to annoy me.

Does anybody know why Nokias releases Nokia Drive for other WP8 devices? Is it some deal between Nokia and Microsoft? Because I can't possibly see Nokia doing this on their own considering that it's probably a huge selling point for them (it definitely sold a Lumia 710 to my mom, so :D).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So is there any word on whether or not your can install apps on your SD card instead of on the phone's storage on the HTC WP 8S in the future? The phone only comes with around 3gig storage of which 2 is taken by the OS so there's not a lot of space left for other stuff, especially since the "other" file seems to be mysteriously filling itself up. I've got only got around 250mb left and a get a warning message regularly which is starting to annoy me.

It comes with 4gb, do you have a lot of games installed? Only music, pics and video can go on tue card as far as I know, I haven't heard about that changing.

Does anybody know why Nokias releases Nokia Drive for other WP8 devices? Is it some deal between Nokia and Microsoft? Because I can't possibly see Nokia doing this on their own considering that it's probably a huge selling point for them (it definitely sold a Lumia 710 to my mom, so :D).

It was part of the deal. Nokia is the only manufacturer who gets special privileges and access to the OS and in order not to scare the other two manufacturers away, Nokia promised to contribute to the whole ecosystem. Their app deals with other developers works the same way. They pay devs and companies with popular apps to develop/port apps and games for Windows Phone and in return, Nokia gets some exclusive access to the apps for a certain amount of time. Once the exclusivity period is over, the apps will be released on the regular marketplace.

Overdoziz

Banned
It comes with 4gb, do you have a lot of games installed? Only music, pics and video can go on tue card as far as I know, I haven't heard about that changing.
3.64g total

0bytes music + videos
1.84mb pictures
259.24mb apps
1.15g other (this seems to be the main issue)
2.02g system

187.02mb free space

God damn 920 has huge supply problems here in Finland. I ordered my phone 13th of December and I am still waiting! Over a month passed...

Not only Finland. Holland too. People who pre-ordered in december (some november) are still waiting for their phones. It's also out of stock on nearly all webshops, with next shipment date set between 8-10 weeks on some webshops.. Rediculous.

Was this posted? Full details on WP 7.8 (ATT Lumia 900 update) revealed:

New Software Specifications:

Availability Date: January 30, 2013
File Size: ~100 MB – device updates will be performed via PC side-load only using Zune software.
Data use charges against customer data buckets will not apply.
Software Version: 2175.2307.8858.12480
Baseband Version: 2.1.75.22
Kernel Version: 7.10.8858.136
Software Update Includes:

New Start Screen - This change immediately refreshes and updates the look of the customers Nokia Lumia 900. Customers will now have a start screen that is similar to Windows Phone 8. This new start screen provides users with more options to personalize their start screen. More tiles can be pinned to the start screen and their sizes can be altered between small, medium, or large. In addition the wide vertical black zone on the far right called the “gutter” has been removed.
New theme colors – Customers will have even more options to personalize their Lumia 900. A new theme color may be selected from many new colors that have been added to the expanded color pallet.
Bing “Image of the Day” Lock Screen Option: Customers may now enable the regularly changing “Image of the Day” from the Bing search screen to be automatically displayed as their lock screen wallpaper. As a result the customer will have a new lock screen image available on their device each day.
Improved Lock Screen accidental wipe protection: Customers will experience an enhanced lock screen that is less likely to open accidentally by an inadvertent touch on the display. This will help extend the life of the battery for customers who had experienced this issue.
Quality and Security Enhancements – Customers will experience greater device stability with the implementation of multiple software fixes and enhancements. Improved security fixes and enhancements have been made to protect customer information on their device.
Marketplace Enhancements – Customers will experience an enhanced marketplace experience and a newly optimized download process.
API Enhancements – Customers ability to experience the benefit of these new API enhancements will depend on OEM implementation or third party applications that utilize these new APIs. A customer should check the download store after completing the upgrade for new OEM and third party applications. For example: Bluetooth DRM free file transfer API, User data migration API, Convert a local DRM free MP3 file to a ringtone API

Welp, at least it's something. Will add to OP soon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
3.64g total

0bytes music + videos
1.84mb pictures
259.24mb apps
1.15g other (this seems to be the main issue)
2.02g system

187.02mb free space

Move the pictures to the SD card, go into settings/storage and change it so all new pics go in SD and you buy yourself almost 2 gigs right there. And damn, system really is killing you. The other could be app data like saves or stuff you create and save within an app, but I think just moving pics will give you some breathing room.

Right now I have a live tile for the following:
- Current weather wherever I am currently located (using GPS)
- Current weather in my neighboorhood
- Stock quotes
- Local traffic map
- Engadget (updates with most recent top news story)
- My calendar/agenda for the day (shows up to 12 appointments)
- and of course the built in ones for people and contacts

what kinds of things are you looking for?

frontieruk

Move the pictures to the SD card, go into settings/storage and change it so all new pics go in SD and you buy yourself almost 2 gigs right there. And damn, system really is killing you. The other could be app data like saves or stuff you create and save within an app, but I think just moving pics will give you some breathing room.

1.84Mb not gb ;) guessing he meant 184mb

Subitai

If anyone here has a crunchyroll subscription, can you try logging into the WP APP and playing a random video? For some reason it seems like its crashing or auto closing the app every time that I log in. It started doing this about a week ago and I'm not sure if its just my phone or if its the app. Although I have already tried re-installing it and that didn't solve anything.

I just want to see if its affecting anyone else other than myself before I file a bug report.
I'm testing it now. :) Logged in and watching a video w/ out any problems.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia CEO closes the door on a potential Android smartphone

Nokia (NOK) CEO Stephen Elop on Thursday shot down rumors that his company might be interested in developing Android-based smartphones. During Nokia’s fourth-quarter earnings call, the executive reiterated his support for the company’s Asha phones and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows Phone platform, while shutting the door on earlier Android rumors.

“We are clearly innovating with Microsoft around Windows Phone, and are focused on taking that to lower and lower price points,” he said, according to TechCrunch. “You will see that over time [we will] compete with Android. But at the same time we’ve said consistently — and we’re just beginning to see it in the Asha full-touch products — that we will continue to innovate around our Asha smartphone line in order to compete with the very lowest levels of Android.”

The executive also took shots at Google (GOOG) and the openness of its Android operating system, or lack thereof. “The situation that Android is facing, where the amount of fragmentation that you’re seeing is increasing as people take it in different directions, is of course offset by Google’s efforts to turn an open ecosystem into something that’s quite a bit more closed as you’ve seen quite recently,” Elop said.

Elop concluded by saying that Nokia is “not in a situation where we are considering something other than Windows Phone combined with what we’re doing with Asha.”

Link

Subitai

I finished as I logged in and watched a couple episodes and didn't have any problems. So, idk man.

Is anyone else having issues with crunchroll?

thirty

Banned
did u see htc's new design for their japanese android phone? you can resize the tiles and it's got this bouncy animation. looks kinda familiar doesn't it?

a02-ice-gray.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ass2rWIqd8I&feature=share&list=PLS7azqUNoh8szi0WyRZPE4CSxfxH1L7cF

Is there a way to Flash a Nokia Rom on my ssverly aging omnia 7? Maybe that would breath a Little fresh life into it with the additional marketplace stuff.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
did u see htc's new design for their japanese android phone? you can resize the tiles and it's got this bouncy animation. looks kinda familiar doesn't it?

a02-ice-gray.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ass2rWIqd8I&feature=share&list=PLS7azqUNoh8szi0WyRZPE4CSxfxH1L7cF

More power to them. I hate software patents.

But even so Metro's UI is much better at the tiles. That phone has black background and nearly black tiles? Calendar is displaying too much stuff on the top screen. Etc.

*buys HTC 8S*
*comes home*
*reads page*

You can't install apps to the Micro SD card? How did I miss that fucking vital detail?

iJH7iabtqX8a9.gif

Hopefully that's improved in an update.

Though, in all honesty, almost all of my music (Xbox Music Pass), pictures and video are stored in SkyDrive. That leaves a lot of on-device space for apps. You may have to do a little housekeeping time to time if you download shitloads of apps, but you should be fine as long as you set the phone to put media on the SD card first, and also use the cloud services.

eastx

Hey all. MCD was kind enough to invite me to this thread, so here I am. I appreciate the linkage to my WPCentral articles. :)

Hopefully it will come with the next Xbox because it is just horrible to not have universal apps between phone, pc/tablet and Xbox.

The win8 one especially is awfully expensive... its as much as the full xbla game and doesn't have the real time multiplayer. For $15 I should get it on both automatically.

It's actually a harder nut to crack than most people think. A user who only wants the game for his phone isn't going to be happy paying $15-30 for it.

Right now there isn't some magic engine that you just toss a game's code into and out pops three different versions for you to sell. In other words, it's a fair amount of work getting the same game to run on all three platforms. Windows 8 and WP8 are similar, but even then it still takes some work. I will try to work some concrete technical details into a future article (either How Microsoft can save Xbox WP Part 2 or a different one).

That said, I agree that developers should at least have the option of selling both the Windows 8 and WP8 versions together in a bundle. That's basically how Skulls' launch pricing works = $15 for both portable versions, basically the same price as the XBLA game by itself.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So my iPhone contract is up in mid-march and I won't be renewing. The Lumia 620 looks really interesting to me. Not sold directly in the us it looks like though.

http://www.wpcentral.com/unboxing-hands-nokia-lumia-620

Thinking maybe getting this if it works with Straight Talk Wireless here in the US.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...3FT93CgvCwAT6DwU/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

The 620 looks like a great little phone. In Canada it is supposed to be coming to Rogers soon.

JimiNutz

Banned
My 920 has suddenly developed a problem with YouTube videos.
The videos play fine, but if I pause the video and lock the screen the video does not resume when I go back to it.

Makes watching videos really frustrating as I have to watch it all in one go or start it all over again from the beginning!

Is this just happening to me?
How do I fix it ��

That said, I agree that developers should at least have the option of selling both the Windows 8 and WP8 versions together in a bundle. That's basically how Skulls' launch pricing works = $15 for both portable versions, basically the same price as the XBLA game by itself.
Sure, but as someone interested in just the WP and XBLA versions, I'm feeling unaccommodated for. XBLA should be part of the day one pricing.
Hopefully that's improved in an update.

Though, in all honesty, almost all of my music (Xbox Music Pass), pictures and video are stored in SkyDrive. That leaves a lot of on-device space for apps. You may have to do a little housekeeping time to time if you download shitloads of apps, but you should be fine as long as you set the phone to put media on the SD card first, and also use the cloud services.
Am doing that, but installing a few free games almost has me at the limit this morning. :(

derFeef

My 920 has suddenly developed a problem with YouTube videos.
The videos play fine, but if I pause the video and lock the screen the video does not resume when I go back to it.

Makes watching videos really frustrating as I have to watch it all in one go or start it all over again from the beginning!

Is this just happening to me?
How do I fix it ��

Are you playing it in IE or the youtube app? Try metrotube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom