• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
His argument was that 1080p is overkill for Lumia 920 size device, my argument is that it may be overkill but look at Apple 4" device the ppi is overkill but it does look nice. Apple probably could get away with less but they did not and promote higher resolution even if the screen is small. I am not sure how is my argument fall apart

My argument is that there is no point going any higher PPI for this size device, because we can't notice the difference.

However, Windows Phone should have the option to natively support 1080P if manufacturers want to include it for larger screens than a Lumia 920, for example, where it is more appropriate a resolution. HTC probably wanted to release a 5/6" device where 1080P would work and provide a difference compared to 720P.

Not rocket science. And there I think we agree too.

Hence the iPhone comment had me all sorts confused with your point. Why have 1080P on a device where it will be wasted? The Lumia is already ahead of Apple, but it means nowt to what you and I can see. Why improve the PPI further FOR THIS SIZE device with no benefit? Improve the screen display in other areas other than resolution.

Can you stream from Xbox Music or download right to the phone?

Can't see him doing that unfortunately.

I can stream from Xbox music but as soon as I download, it gives me the "cannot find usage rights" or whatever, error.

I don't mind streaming but it basically kills all the playlists I've made.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It won't be long before a good 7.8 ROM is available for that phone if there isn't one already. Not the best solution, but flashing WP devices isn't crazy hard.

hwalker84

My argument is that there is no point going any higher PPI for this size device, because we can't notice the difference.

However, Windows Phone should have the option to natively support 1080P if manufacturers want to include it for larger screens than a Lumia 920, for example, where it is more appropriate a resolution. HTC probably wanted to release a 5/6" device where 1080P would work and provide a difference compared to 720P.

Not rocket science. And there I think we agree too.

Hence the iPhone comment had me all sorts confused with your point. Why have 1080P on a device where it will be wasted? The Lumia is already ahead of Apple, but it means nowt to what you and I can see. Why improve the PPI further FOR THIS SIZE device with no benefit? Improve the screen display in other areas other than resolution.

Microsoft needs to support all the latest Qualcomm/Samsung/Sony Ericson/Tegra as well as the latest resolutions. Atleast we'd get Android hand me downs.

jagowar

How Microsoft can save Xbox games for Windows Phone Part 2 is now live! Please read, comment, and tweet it to everyone you can think of at Microsoft.

Here's Part 1 in case you missed it. Part 3 is coming soon!

The unreal part is the biggest deal and the fact that it runs on win8/rt and not wp8 really says it all. To me they should be focusing on making their console games work on the tablet/phone rather than going after the existing mobile game engines (like ios/android).

If their sdk for the next xbox was good enough that there was no porting required, engine wise, to move between the various platforms the only thing devs would have to do is figure out how to do the control scheme on touch/xbox. In that case I would think most games would just be on win8/wp8 and would get console owners to buy windows devices.

Skulls of the Shogun is a very good example of how gaming should work if they had the universal install option (buy once get everywhere). I am very excited to check the game out just to see how it works cross platform. Really does feel like it will be a glimpse into the next xbox.

*buys HTC 8S*
*comes home*
*reads page*

You can't install apps to the Micro SD card? How did I miss that fucking vital detail?

iJH7iabtqX8a9.gif
You should ask for a refund. From the 4GB internal storage, around 1.5 GB is availible. That's lousy and unacceptable.

So they rejected a refund, because it's out of the plastic packaging and has been used.

Hmm. I'm considering giving the phone to my GF who badly needs a new phone and wanted a WP and then buying an upper tier model, the Lumia 820 or the 8X (no 920 in Ireland).
Thoughts?
Which of the two do ye recommend?

The 8X at 16GB seems like the better option.

Any catches I might miss, such as the Micro SD apps detail I missed?

So they rejected a refund, because it's out of the plastic packaging and has been used.

Hmm. I'm considering giving the phone to my GF who badly needs a new phone and wanted a WP and then buying an upper tier model, the Lumia 820 or the 8X (no 920 in Ireland).
Thoughts?

Well, unlike the 920, the 820 actually has a slot of SD cards. Whether or not it suffers from the same issue as the phone you bought, however, I dunno.

Thoughts?

Judging from the phone you initially bought (8S), a logical step for an alternative would be a Lumia 620, since they're in the same price range. A Lumia 820 is significantly more expensive. The Lumia 620 is basically an uglier HTC 8S with 8GB of internal storage.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Judging from the phone you initially bought (8S), a logical step for an alternative would be a Lumia 620, since they're in the same price range. A Lumia 820 is significantly more expensive. The Lumia 620 is basically an uglier HTC 8S with 8GB of internal storage.

The 8S is definitely better looking, but I also really like the look of the 620. The 620 also has a FFC, which the 8S does not have.

Well, unlike the 920, the 820 actually has a slot of SD cards. Whether or not it suffers from the same issue as the phone you bought, however, I dunno.

The 820 does have only 8GB of internal storage compared to the 8X (16). I believe they both have SD card slots. The 8X has a 720p screen as well, and the 820 does not.

kharma45

Thoughts?

920 is coming this Friday

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920-vodafone-and-o2-ireland-coming-friday

The 820 does have only 8GB of internal storage compared to the 8X (16). I believe they both have SD card slots. The 8X has a 720p screen as well, and the 820 does not.

8X doesn't support MicroSD.

Well I believe Apps will still be uninstallable to the card, so it isn't a huge help.
I've a 32GB iPod (why I'm okay getting a WP) for music, audiobooks and iOS apps too.
True, but part of my reason to move up is the 8S's camera isn't fantastic.
I'd push for the 920 but we can't get it :-/
Those ...., couldn't have said it last week. No. Flip.

eastx

Cause he wrote it?

Also, even if I hadn't written it, I really want Xbox games for Windows Phone to recover, grow, and multiply. I'm basically laying out a roadmap for how that can happen, and hopefully Microsoft will take some of it to heart (they definitely read the articles).

Also, even if I hadn't written it, I really want Xbox games for Windows Phone to recover, grow, and multiply. I'm basically laying out a roadmap for how that can happen, and hopefully Microsoft will take some of it to heart (they definitely read the articles).
I don't know if everyone reads them, but you have my page views...

lastflowers, spill the beans on the nextbox. Nao!
lol, they seem pretty impressive on preventing leaks to other employees. I look forward to the leak threads that seem to happen every week, because that's where I get my info from. Hardware doesn't really matter-I assume both ps4 and whatever 'nextbox' is will probably be pretty equivalent. The services are what matters (and of course the games).

MCD

Why are you so invested in that article?

You are such a troll.

Another great article, eastx. Keep it up.

My one wish is too see console devs, especially first party devs like Rare, Lionhead, Turn 10...etc to support WP8.

But I guess most of them are using iPhones and don't even know their parent company is making phones lol.

lol, they seem pretty impressive on preventing leaks to other employees. I look forward to the leak threads that seem to happen every week, because that's where I get my info from. Hardware doesn't really matter-I assume both ps4 and whatever 'nextbox' is will probably be pretty equivalent. The services are what matters (and of course the games).

Very diplomatic response, spill the beans already =P

kazinova

Speaking of someone else speaking of Skulls of the Shogun, anyone down for a Skulls anywhere match tomorrow? I can play a turn on each break and I want to try it out!

Korey

Welp, looks like HTC isn't going to offer the WP 7.8 upgrade for HD7 owners. Wankers.

Not a massive surprise of course, but was hoping to have something to tide me over until a compelling upgrade becomes available on TMO. Oh well, hopefully MWC will bring some good tidings.

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-abandoning-hd7-no-plans-release-windows-phone-78-update

This is really, really lame.

https://twitter.com/htc/statuses/296096197687513089

Possibly the last time I buy HTC.

Surface was easier to hide, because they used a product name of an existing product. So when they had job listings for that product, no one would've guessed it was about a 10.6" tablet, instead of a big ass table. Clever girl.

Not that they hired members for that team with open job listings, right?

Now that they have listings mentioning the "next generation of Surface products", it's clear that they're working on, well, more Surface products.
3AQmK.gif

This is really, really lame.

https://twitter.com/htc/statuses/296096197687513089

Possibly the last time I buy HTC.

If that isn't reason enough, then don't forget that they declared war against the ROM scene. Screw HTC.

Friend got phonecall from Three (Irish provider) today that they can get a friend a free S3 with a 12 month €20 contract.
I believe this changes things.

jagowar

Speaking of someone else speaking of Skulls of the Shogun, anyone down for a Skulls anywhere match tomorrow? I can play a turn on each break and I want to try it out!

I should get it tomorrow and would be interested in playing but not sure tomorrow would be the best to try multiplayer. Think I will want to spend a day or two to learn how to play it before trying multiplayer.

frontieruk

Well I believe Apps will still be uninstallable to the card, so it isn't a huge help.
I've a 32GB iPod (why I'm okay getting a WP) for music, audiobooks and iOS apps too.

True, but part of my reason to move up is the 8S's camera isn't fantastic.
I'd push for the 920 but we can't get it :-/

Those ...., couldn't have said it last week. No. Flip.

Friend got phonecall from Three (Irish provider) today that they can get a friend a free S3 with a 12 month €20 contract.
I believe this changes things.

wrong thread.

I think he's saying sorry guys I'm going android after asking for your advice so right thread, poor comprehension by Van ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom