• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone from one new phone every two years to one new phone a year. That's already bad enough, but if a 41mp Lumia with an aluminum body is released, how the heck am I supposed to ignore it? If it releases in May, that's only 7 months with the 920. Ugh, my wife is going to be pissed.

Just pretend your son drop it again. : )

I bought my daughter 620, so I still have 2 phones on my account that are off contract and ready for "upgrade".

maaaan, I want a 620 so bad. I could finally get rid of my iPod.

Thanks for reminding me, I have to see if I still have that old memory card that I got for Focus (it didn't work) and see if I can get it to work with her 620 so she can put all her music on there.

This is the wallet style case I picked up when I was in Thailand. It's for 920 but I stick the 900 in there to show what it looks like with a phone. (It's too small for 900). It's not bad for what I paid for ($14.00) and it has space for credit card and license.

That 900 Dark Knight is unlock international version and it update to 7.7 than 7.8 as soon as soon as I plug it into my computer via Zune. Thanks Nokia for not dicking the customer around as much as other guys. I wonder if my unlock Focus will update to 7.8, I should try that next.

v29D4ZVl.jpg

frontieruk

Will you guys please stop mentioning the 620 is cheap please, I'm trying to hold out for the 2nd wave and you guys aren't helping :p ;)

I might get a 620 plus a second wave device...but then again, I just spent a ton of money today on headphones and coffee equipment. For shame.

Classic 160, 1.5 yrs old. Bought after my Zune had a rough fall out of my pocket while riding a bike. Its out of space...but I don't want to carry around a hdd. The new touches are UGLY. Seriously, the worst looking devices I have ever seen. I'd rather buy a Cowon device.

Even if I wanted to get a 620, it'd be a downgrade to me for the screen size and tech. I like 4.3" a lot, and I like a good, non-PenTile AMOLED display, too, so there's that. Not to mention Zune.

That said...

*wonders why his 900 isn't dead yet, playing music at 0% battery*

I want a gym/running device that I won't get upset at if I mess it up. Plus I can use it for testing app stuff. Plus I love phones 😍

So HTC is apparently gonna have some interesting camera tech in their new phone. 3 layers of 4.3mp and then combining them to result in a nice 4.3mp image. They apparently mention Nokia's PureView and quote a reviewer who said "this won't help you at all"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3953900/htc-m7-camera-tease-nokia-pureview-insult

http://blog.htc.com/2013/02/a-brief-history-of-photography/

4.3 "ultrapixels" rumoured. Hmm... Probably won't be as flexible as 41 actual megapixels, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So HTC is apparently gonna have some interesting camera tech in their new phone. 3 layers of 4.3mp and then combining them to result in a nice 4.3mp image. They apparently mention Nokia's PureView and quote a reviewer who said "this won't help you at all"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3953900/htc-m7-camera-tease-nokia-pureview-insult

http://blog.htc.com/2013/02/a-brief-history-of-photography/

The camera on the 8x is pretty good at daylight shots, but simply cannot compare to the 920 camera overall. I remember how much time HTC spent at their conference last year touting the OneX/8X camera and it certainly wasn't the best camera phone released last year. I will wait until they release it and ignore their hype this time.

The camera on the 8x is pretty good at daylight shots, but simply cannot compare to the 920 camera overall. I remember how much time HTC spent at their conference last year touting the OneX/8X camera and it certainly wasn't the best camera phone released last year. I will wait until they release it and ignore their hype this time.

Camera software on the One X is pretty amazing. The imagine quality itself is good but the camera software is what set it apart really.

Still, the pre-portico camera comparison doesn't favor the Lumia 920 to be honest (daylight). It's not fair to compair low-light shots, but the One X camera is pretty good. I don't know how it compares to post-portico Lumia 920.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its not just really just a dark place advantage though. Indoors, low light, inadequate light, unbalanced light, the 920 camera is just more useful in more situations than any other phones camera.

The portico update didn't change anything drastically, so in broad daylight the 8x is probably going to take better shots. Just not dramatically better to offset the countless other situations where the 920 camera IS much better.

mackattk

I've gone from one new phone every two years to one new phone a year. That's already bad enough, but if a 41mp Lumia with an aluminum body is released, how the heck am I supposed to ignore it? If it releases in May, that's only 7 months with the 920. Ugh, my wife is going to be pissed.

Yeah, same here. My wife gets mad that I change phones about every year now as well. I told her my Nexus 4 would be the last one for me for awhile. I used to have a windows 7.5 phone (HTC Radar), I kind of miss it every now and then. If Nokia comes out with a true Pureview windows 8 phone.... ugh..

Still, the pre-portico camera comparison doesn't favor the Lumia 920 to be honest (daylight). It's not fair to compair low-light shots, but the One X camera is pretty good. I don't know how it compares to post-portico Lumia 920.
I was using One X and camera is good but color is a bit off compare to post portico Lumia. It is a good camera phone but I rather prefer 920.

For what it's worth:

In just 90 days Windows Phone 8 usage outpaced all Windows Phone 7 devices in the US

No firm numbers for sales of Windows Phone 7 or Windows Phone 8 have ever been revealed but at least according to AdDuplex’s data, Windows Phone 8 now accounts for 50.01% of Windows Phones using the AdDuplex network while Windows Phone 7.x has fallen to 49.99%.

AdDup.JPG

That’s quite an impressive feat considering Windows Phone 7.x had been on the market for 2 years while Windows Phone 8 is just shy of 90 days.

Whether this is because Windows Phone 7.x sales were so modest that the bar was low or because Windows Phone 8 is finally catching on we’re not prepared to say but the news is certainly leaning in the right direction.

Doesn't mean too much in light of the big picture, but as someone who has own a WP device since the beginning, its good to see.

Reposting this question: does anyone have a good full screen clock or "night stand" app? I found one that works fine, but it makes my phone get hot; another one I found doesn't have the heat issue, but it's also really ugly :-|

Why do people think that clock apps have to emulate a digital clock look?

Well the bar was set pretty low, but that is still quite an impressive statistic.

Agreed on both points.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

frontieruk

So what's the word on good phones on T-Mo, Anything good on it's way within the next month?

Welcome back :)

Reposting this question: does anyone have a good full screen clock or "night stand" app? I found one that works fine, but it makes my phone get hot; another one I found doesn't have the heat issue, but it's also really ugly :-|

Why do people think that clock apps have to emulate a digital clock look?

Agreed on both points.

Tried Lumia Clock?

Ragus

Banned
I guess I'm kinda late to the party with all that gmail clusterfuck on WP8. I just got my phone back from repair, and I wanted to synch my gmail account as I always do.

And it just keeps on synching and synching and synching...

So, I guess I can't sych my gmail account with Windows Phone 8. Why the fuck would they do something like this?

kehs

Banned
What's all this jazz about gmail not syncing?

Quick search shows...they turned off eas? Uh...that might make me not want to try out a wp8 phone...

Ragus

Banned

Quick search shows...they turned off eas? Uh...that might make me not want to try out a wp8 phone...

I'm not suprised. I'm seriously thinking about selling this phone. Checking mail in Internet Explorer isn't the solution for me.

Ragus

Banned
Why the web interface? Can't you just manually sync?

I'm trying. But it synchs for like forever with no results. I don't mind push sync, as I never use it, but not even being able to synch data by myself???

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong and you can sync manually.

Fjolle

They threatened to turn it off, but decided not to until Microsoft has some fix in the next update.

Also the way google licensed EAS meant that a patent that they tried to sue Microsoft over was already licensed by Microsoft (And it was declared invalid for four different reasons...).

Ragus

Banned
Hmm, I changed mail settings to sync all data from 1 week instead of 2, and now it syncs as it used to. Strange :lol:, but I guess it works so I shouldn't complain.

I hope I won't lose my access to gmail in July.

Ragus

Banned
What you guys would like to see in the update?

I want:
-notifications
-better volume control
-more customizable bar in IE
-vibration feedback toogle
-better way to kill apps

I need nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom