• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a combination of things, the hardware puts out an amount of heat per work done. The heat generated in Skulls is far more than my 920 generates in any other game. But then again, Skulls is a pretty graphics intense game. So I can't blame them for asking more of the processor.

It should be noted that my Surface remains ice cold while playing skulls for an hour. And that's just a Tegra 3 probably running flat out as well. My guess is it's a combination of Skulls developement starting on WP7 and probably not being designed well for the new kernel, and the hardware not dissipating heat all that well.

Your Surface is the size of a barn, there are more place for heat to dissipate. I think many people just have crazy expectation and not realize that while technology has come very far it is still not magic. Computer generate heat, battery generate heat not to mention other components and then stuff them all in one "sealed" body smaller than pocket calculator then expect it to generate no heat, seriously?

I'm Paul Acevedo, your friendly neighborhood Games Editor. I should really add that info to my sig... Soon.

While I understand that you have to beat your competitor to the punch on many of the story to get click and visit (which is fine because that how you guys generate income), I really think anything not confirm should be just that a rumor and speculation. God know we don't need any more heartbreak from Windows Phone 8.

And I do appreciated your article on gaming, especially those that put Microsoft on notice, though I doubt that will make any differences. While people that work for Microsoft might scream that there is no such things as inter-department turf wars at Microsoft, the evidence is clearly in the pudding. You see how well Windows Phone support Zune, Xbox Video and Game and tell if there is no shitty turf wars going on in that company. I really have high hope for Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and the upcoming Xbox 8 but I don't think Microsoft will ever "get it" why they are so far behind in this post-PC space.

Zune is the WP team.

May be when it was WP7, care to explain what happen with Xbox Music and Video and Zune music support in Windows Phone 8? Because I am all ears. If there are no turf wars between each department then I can only come to conclusion that Windows Phone team is just even more incompetent because they can't even implement music and video support by people in their own division.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Anyone know of a good app that allows you to put in not only calorie intake but carbs and protein? And tracks it?

At this time, the Nokia Lumia 710 will not receive the Windows Phone 7.8 software update. T-Mobile is committed to enhancing customers' experience with our devices, including providing upgrades to the latest operating systems, and T-Mobile aims to deliver software upgrades when it will provide a better experience for our customers. We'll share additional information on upgrades for the Nokia Lumia 710 when they are available.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57567960-94/t-mobile-nixes-windows-phone-7.8-update-for-lumia-710/

wtf?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You know the way the Music tile has the scrolling text when playing an artist, is there anything stopping other app developers from doing that too? For example could you have sports scores scrolling on a large tile? Or even do other kinds of animations?

Engadget seems to like the 620.

h6uH9Rd.jpg

Pros
  • Attractively priced
  • Long battery life
  • Performance matches higher-end devices

Cons
  • Middling camera performance
  • Windows Phone 8 lacks app selection of entry-level Android phones

Bottom Line

The Lumia 620 is a budget phone offering good performance and an attractive design. It sets a new benchmark for low-price smartphones.

Wrap-up

The Lumia 620 represents a new high-watermark for entry-level smartphones, regardless of OS. Ignoring the app drawbacks, the phone provides a great web browser experience alongside the full Windows Phone 8 feature set. It could be a very exciting phone for Nokia -- it's an exciting one for us. We've mentioned the price several times during the review, but for a new smartphone with the latest version of its respective OS, it's a steal. The phone might house a less-capable camera, but for anyone sick of oversized, unwieldy, expensive smartphones, Nokia now has an entry-level Windows Phone to lure the bargain-hunting crowds away from Android, if the Nexus 4 proves too expensive.

What's more, it's arguably more attractive than most Google-powered phones around the same price point and could prove to be a huge hit among smartphone beginners. There's also a good chance that the more-gadget obsessed might pick up the Lumia 620 as a second device to give Microsoft's mobile OS a try -- and with compatibility on two US networks, it might be worth an import. It delivers real-world performance as good as Windows Phones that cost more than double. If anything, it's making us reconsider whether those other rivals are worth the extra outlay.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/nokia-lumia-620-review/

I think the 620 is a nice little phone, way better than any other budget phone. I didn't hesitate at all for $260 it's a steal and as article said if you want a 2nd phone for those time when you don't need the giant phone like Note or Lumia 920, it's perfect. Ability to add SD card is awesome as it can store plenty of music and 8gb allow for flexibility with app.

eastx

While I understand that you have to beat your competitor to the punch on many of the story to get click and visit (which is fine because that how you guys generate income), I really think anything not confirm should be just that a rumor and speculation. God know we don't need any more heartbreak from Windows Phone 8.

And I do appreciated your article on gaming, especially those that put Microsoft on notice, though I doubt that will make any differences. While people that work for Microsoft might scream that there is no such things as inter-department turf wars at Microsoft, the evidence is clearly in the pudding. You see how well Windows Phone support Zune, Xbox Video and Game and tell if there is no shitty turf wars going on in that company. I really have high hope for Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and the upcoming Xbox 8 but I don't think Microsoft will ever "get it" why they are so far behind in this post-PC space.

Thanks man. Well, while I am an editor I'm only responsible for myself and articles that pass through me (which that offending article didn't). But I agree that things we're unsure of need to be clearly marked as rumors.

I also agree that it's hard for Microsoft to make tangible improvements due to their poor internal structure. It's kind of amazing that any successful products like the Xbox 360 get released at all, given how terrible things are on the inside of that company. But companies do change over time, so we can always hope that they'll learn and get better someday.

Not just Engadget loving it. Pocket-Lint, CNET UK and Trusted Reviews too.

Let see what the Verge give it! I bet it's 6.9 with 4.9 for ecosystem.

Looking at 620 spec, you can't help but feel that the 820 is a big miss. They should have put better resolution screen on 820 and position as alternative to those that doesn't need or care for OIS / Low-light camera. It's not a bad phone but the screen really make it sub-par with the modern smartphone.

Let see what the Verge give it! I bet it's 6.9 with 4.9 for ecosystem.

Looking at 620 spec, you can't help but feel that the 820 is a big miss. They should have put better resolution screen on 820 and position as alternative to those that doesn't need or care for OIS / Low-light camera. It's not a bad phone but the screen really make it sub-par with the modern smartphone.

I think Nokia is selling the 820 for €499 in Europe, which is crazy, considering the 920 is being sold for $450 in the US.

PG2G

So, The Verge is reporting the next xbox is going to have natural language voice recognition like Siri. Is it too much to expect that this means it'll be coming to Windows Phone (perhaps in 8.5 or whatever they end up calling the next major)? I have to imagine that it is all based on the same TellMe back end.

kazinova

Your Surface is the size of a barn, there are more place for heat to dissipate. I think many people just have crazy expectation and not realize that while technology has come very far it is still not magic. Computer generate heat, battery generate heat not to mention other components and then stuff them all in one "sealed" body smaller than pocket calculator then expect it to generate no heat, seriously?

I've felt the surface get hot, it hasn't gotten nearly that hot playing Skulls, whereas the 920 gets as hot as I've ever felt it playing Skulls. Just strange, that's all.

Totakeke

Xperia Sola/U is less than 160dollars/euro?

Low-powered Android phones are terrible. Even Android fans wouldn't recommend them.

Did you buy your mother one or why are you so defensive?

How am I defensieve?

Xperia Sola/U is less than 160dollars/euro?

Low-powered Android phones are terrible. Even Android fans wouldn't recommend them.

No they're not. My little brothers' Xperia Tipo runs buttery smooth on a single 800Mhz proc and Android 4.0.

And the Xperia Sola is 200 euro and Xperia 170 euro.

Not to mention that for just 50 euro more, you get in the much superior Xperia S range..

Raide

Hopefully picking up a 620 in the UK at the end of the month. Need to upgrade my ageing and broken iPhone. Should be interesting to see it in the flesh first.

"Keep telling that to yourself", like I made it up. Low powered Android devices are "alright" at best, but I wouldn't call them a good smartphone experience, unless they come with 4.1 and a gig of RAM.

You have your opinion, I have mine. But anything Android below 200 euro beeing shit is not an opinion, but blatant Android hate.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not seeing glowing reviews for those two Sony phones from non-enthusiast sites. It seems like the 620 is a much better software/hardware combo. I just can't imagine that the performance of those skinned android devices matches the 620. Do either of the Sony devices even have a front facing camera?

MCD

I always found Windows Phone better on low end hardware due to less bugs.

My mom's 820 is more stable than my 920, at least before the update.

I'm not seeing glowing reviews for those two Sony phones from non-enthusiast sites. It seems like the 620 is a much better software/hardware combo. I just can't imagine that the performance of those skinned android devices matches the 620. Do either of the Sony devices even have a front facing camera?

Xperia U has FFC. But I don't see the relevance of that. All I'm saying is that Lumia 620 is too close to the 300 euro range and to far from the 200 range. 220 euro for it would have been perfect imo.

dorkimoe

first time seeing a 620...that thing is adorable haha
So i plan on pulling the trigger and ordering a 920 to replace my iphone5. Or is there supposed to be another great phone coming this year from Nokia? Or any other windows 8 devices in the near future?

So i plan on pulling the trigger and ordering a 920 to replace my iphone5. Or is there supposed to be another great phone coming this year from Nokia? Or any other windows 8 devices in the near future?

The 920 is already old. Wait for MWC at the end of the month, Nokia might show something interesting there. Maybe.

maeh2k

Of course there'll be some great new Windows Phones this year, but it's not clear when the next big one will come out.
There's a rumor that Nokia will release a Lumia with a 41 MP Pureview camera this summer, but that's not confirmed. Even if it comes out it might be very expensive and not for everyone, since the camera will probably add quite a bit to the thickness of the phone.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, Nokia will have an MWC press conference at the end of this month where they are expected to show off some new devices.

Surprised that the battely life isn't merely okay but is actually listed as a pro despite 1300 mAh. Really great budget phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So, The Verge is reporting the next xbox is going to have natural language voice recognition like Siri. Is it too much to expect that this means it'll be coming to Windows Phone (perhaps in 8.5 or whatever they end up calling the next major)? I have to imagine that it is all based on the same TellMe back end.

That would be logical and the right decision, but I'm not holding my breath. Would love to be wrong about this though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Xperia U has FFC. But I don't see the relevance of that. All I'm saying is that Lumia 620 is too close to the 300 euro range and to far from the 200 range. 220 euro for it would have been perfect imo.

Its relevant because there are OS features on Android that utilize the ffc, like face unlock. The xperia U does seem like a competent device though, much better than the sola and tipo. Im still not convinced that it'll perform better than a 620 if it has the Sony skin, but it definitely seems like a good budget Android phone. How much does it cost?

dorkimoe

Of course there'll be some great new Windows Phones this year, but it's not clear when the next big one will come out.
There's a rumor that Nokia will release a Lumia with a 41 MP Pureview camera this summer, but that's not confirmed. Even if it comes out it might be very expensive and not for everyone, since the camera will probably add quite a bit to the thickness of the phone.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, Nokia will have an MWC press conference at the end of this month where they are expected to show off some new devices.

Surprised that the battely life isn't merely okay but is actually listed as a pro despite 1300 mAh. Really great budget phone.

Yeah not worried about that camera, I dont do much photo stuff. But I can sell my iphone 5 for like $600 and pay $380 for a 920...figured I might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom