• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What you guys would like to see in the update?

I want:
-notifications
-better volume control
-more customizable bar in IE
-vibration feedback toogle
-better way to kill apps

I need nothing more.

Those things primarily and more games/apps.

Edit: Actually to add that, what I really would like is a proper PC sync app ala Zune and the ability to put my Xbox Video's on my phone (that still blows my mind that I can't do that).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they bring Jessica Alba back to talk about her cleaning business of whatever it was.

that was a good use of half an hour

Korez

something.png

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-something-coming-windows-phone-8-tease

Biggzy

Those things primarily and more games/apps.

Edit: Actually to add that, what I really would like is a proper PC sync app ala Zune and the ability to put my Xbox Video's on my phone (that still blows my mind that I can't do that).

You are not the only one.

Skulls of the Shogun'd the other night for maybe 20-25 minutes on my 8X; plugged into power and fully charged.

Crazy hot by the end of it.

Is that a WP thing, or is it more hardware related? I'm guessing the latter. Kinda shitty, regardless.

Daeda

Update from that WPCentral article:

[Edit 6 PM ET: The source of the article wishes to have his info removed and denies that this was a tease for a notification center. In fact, he's not an employee of Nokia but rather a student involved in a Windows Phone program, making this info dubious at best.]

Seems speculative

Update from that WPCentral article:

Seems speculative

I don't recall Microsoft even being at MWC last year, so i doubt they'll talk at the end of this month (Nokia probably will at MWC about their tablet). That said, I think its pretty obvious that a notification center of some kind is a top priority on Microsoft's list for the next major WP8 update.

Daeda

So wait, that image was just created by the student, not MS?

Basically, apparently it originates from a DeviantART profle. Makes you wonder how WPCentral does their fact checking..

EDIT: additional update:

In fact, we're hearing the opposite now, that there won't be a notification center announced at MWC. Due to this new info we are not standing by the story. Sorry, folks

giga

Basically, apparently it originates from a DeviantART profle. Makes you wonder how WPCentral does their fact checking..

EDIT: additional update:
Calculate how many ad clicks a story will get, feign remorse later (if ever).

Internet dumbfuckery.

Skulls of the Shogun'd the other night for maybe 20-25 minutes on my 8X; plugged into power and fully charged.

Is that a WP thing, or is it more hardware related? I'm guessing the latter. Kinda shitty, regardless.
It's a new smartphone thing, my son play Angry Bird Star Wars on the HTC One X and the phone was hot and battery dead a few hours later. I think the newer chips just run hot but what do you expect packing all that chip and battery into a seal polycarbonate body. Lumia 920 get hot too.

It's a new smartphone thing, my son play Angry Bird Star Wars on the HTC One X and the phone was hot and battery dead a few hours later. I think the newer chips just run hot but what do you expect packing all that chip and battery into a seal polycarbonate body. Lumia 920 get hot too.

Thanks for the reply. So sucky. Is it something that one should take heed of, or is the phone more or less fine (apart from being a hot potato)?

jgkspsx

So, is any battery monitoring app safe to use, or do they all reduce battery life badly?

Skulls heated my 920 up impressively in just the trial, for what it's worth.

eastx

Wpcentral giving wmpoweruser a run for their money on dumbfuckery.

If we fact checked every article with big corporations like Microsoft, we'd never get anything done. First off, Microsoft's standard response is either not to comment or not to comment, depending on how little they feel like commenting. Second, even if they do feel like giving you some kind of information (and these instances are few and far between), you often have to wait several days or even longer to hear back from them.

As a recent example (with a different but similarly large company), I've asked Nokia for screenshots and release dates for Real Racing 2 and Tiger Woods. They spent 3 days bouncing me between different people until finally settling on someone who should be able to handle the request. 5 days later, I've heard nothing back from the guy. I just sent another nag about it and maybe I'll finally get a response later today, but there's no telling.

Maybe the article should've been reported more as a rumor than it actually was - I didn't see it before it got updated. But we usually do make some efforts at fact checking. We just don't always get a response in time to go to press. Due to the nature of the internet, you can't sit on a story for a week and let everyone else cover it first. I don't know any enthusiast news site that is correct 100% of the time, but we do try.

If we fact checked every article with big corporations like Microsoft, we'd never get anything done. First off, Microsoft's standard response is either not to comment or not to comment, depending on how little they feel like commenting. Second, even if they do feel like giving you some kind of information (and these instances are few and far between), you often have to wait several days or even longer to hear back from them.

As a recent example (with a different but similarly large company), I've asked Nokia for screenshots and release dates for Real Racing 2 and Tiger Woods. They spent 3 days bouncing me between different people until finally settling on someone who should be able to handle the request. 5 days later, I've heard nothing back from the guy. I just sent another nag about it and maybe I'll finally get a response later today, but there's no telling.

Maybe the article should've been reported more as a rumor than it actually was - I didn't see it before it got updated. But we usually do make some efforts at fact checking. We just don't always get a response in time to go to press. Due to the nature of the internet, you can't sit on a story for a week and let everyone else cover it first. I don't know any enthusiast news site that is correct 100% of the time, but we do try.
Scares me that you equate fact checking with asking for a response.

Daeda

In this case, factchecking is checking your source. It was a user on a DeviantArt picture. In order to find that legitimate information, you'd need to verify his/her links to Microsoft. If you cant find anything, then its simply no news. Doesnt have anything to do with official comments from MS.

Troll

Banned
Just listened to the Verge Mobile Podcast and Vlad was talking about how his Gmail syncs almost instantaneously. Is that true, or is it true what the Android Central guys were saying about Gmail having emails being delivered late? Any Gaffers have problems with Gmail?

eastx

In this case, factchecking is checking your source. It was a user on a DeviantArt picture. In order to find that legitimate information, you'd need to verify his/her links to Microsoft. If you cant find anything, then its simply no news. Doesnt have anything to do with official comments from MS.

Checking the source is also important, true. Like I said, I wasn't around when the tip came in and the story got written, so I don't know how it went down. It obviously looked true or we'd never have run with it in any form. But everyone makes mistakes, and we owned up to it.

hadareud

The Translator
Just listened to the Verge Mobile Podcast and Vlad was talking about how his Gmail syncs almost instantaneously. Is that true, or is it true what the Android Central guys were saying about Gmail having emails being delivered late? Any Gaffers have problems with Gmail?

I've moved over to outlook completely now, but when I was still using my Gmail account set to push on my Lumia the emails came in instantaneously.

I now have Outlook sync my Gmail account and there's definitely a delay. Maybe once every 15 or so minutes.

giga

Checking the source is also important, true. Like I said, I wasn't around when the tip came in and the story got written, so I don't know how it went down. It obviously looked true or we'd never have run with it in any form. But everyone makes mistakes, and we owned up to it.
Yeah, stop doing this. It's part of what separates the blogosphere from real publications.

kazinova

Probably a combination of things, the hardware puts out an amount of heat per work done. The heat generated in Skulls is far more than my 920 generates in any other game. But then again, Skulls is a pretty graphics intense game. So I can't blame them for asking more of the processor.

It should be noted that my Surface remains ice cold while playing skulls for an hour. And that's just a Tegra 3 probably running flat out as well. My guess is it's a combination of Skulls developement starting on WP7 and probably not being designed well for the new kernel, and the hardware not dissipating heat all that well.

maeh2k

So the Lumia 620 is coming to my carrier... is it any good? At first glance the 1300 mAh worries me.

In a review it said that they still easily made it through the day. I don't think it's an issue, but you could check out some of the reviews to get more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom