• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its relevant because there are OS features on Android that utilize the ffc, like face unlock. The xperia U does seem like a competent device though, much better than the sola and tipo. Im still not convinced that it'll perform better than a 620 if it has the Sony skin, but it definitely seems like a good budget Android phone. How much does it cost?

Cheapest I could find is 170 euro off contract. The only downside of the Xperia U that is has no MicroSD slot and only 8GB of internal storage.

But the point I was trying to make is that in my opinion, the Lumia 620 isn't really budget because it's too close to the 300 range and to far from the 260 range. But when it comes to the phones I mentionned, I have to say that they have been on the market for a while which explains them beeing cheaper. Xperia U also launched in the 250 range.

@Troll, link doesn't work

buhdeh

Not surprised. Everyone else has to notice how every article criticizing or even remotely related to Windows Phone somehow gets hundreds of fanboy comments on The Verge. I can't even tell if it's legitimate or astroturfing anymore.

I'm convinced it's the latter due to the sheer insanity of some of the comments and how they seem to outnumber iOS/Android commentors despite the low number of users.

Totakeke

Pocketnow has been shitty since the last few months or maybe even the past year. They had good and straightforward content back then that other sites didn't have and now they're just full of stuffs fishing for clicks. Took them off my RSS feed some time ago because I kept clicking into stupid articles.

Cipherr

What a stupid article.

As if this was a problem specific to any one group of fanboy.

This is a hilarious post. Because he more than once clarified that the bolded is absolutely not in any way what he meant. Had you read anything other than the headline before reflex posting, you would have seen that.

Not surprised. Everyone else has to notice how every article criticizing or even remotely related to Windows Phone somehow gets hundreds of fanboy comments on The Verge. I can't even tell if it's legitimate or astroturfing anymore.

I'm convinced it's the latter due to the sheer insanity of some of the comments and how they seem to outnumber iOS/Android commentors despite the low number of users.

Yes, and he points this out. Its not like he is making it up, he points to several real concrete examples that one can verify through the links he provides.

I think he may be overreacting to the seriousness of it, but he definitely isn't wrong about his examples. It may be easing up though, I don't think the surface pro reviews saw nearly as much nonsense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
brot and van keep me away from wp.

Article verified.

What, I thought we patched things up? And brot is an android fanboy now, so iOS is your only option now. But then they have cheebs so.....

edit: that pocketnow article is crap. this thread has a ton of WP fans and there is a lot of MS criticizing. Reviewers who make factual errors shouldn't be surprised if they get called out on it.

kehs

Banned
What, I thought we patched things up? And brot is an android fanboy now, so iOS is your only option now. But then they have cheebs so.....

edit: that pocketnow article is crap. this thread has a ton of WP fans and there is a lot of MS criticizing. Reviewers who make factual errors shouldn't be surprised if they get called out on it.

I went slumming for about a month with an ipad mini, never going back.

=P

Doffen

From the Ubisoft Financial Report topic on Gaming:

ubireleased9zje.png

Just like E3; when Microsoft don't deliver, Ubisoft do.

hadareud

The Translator
This is a hilarious post. Because he more than once clarified that the bolded is absolutely not in any way what he meant. Had you read anything other than the headline before reflex posting, you would have seen that.

You know, I can read just fine so don't give me that patronising bollocks.

It's stupid for the exact reason that he points out numerous times how it's a specific issue.

It isn't. I read several tech sites in 2 languages and what he's talking about applies to other fanboys just as much.

I don't understand twitter since I don't use that hipster shit, but did Topolsky say that MSFT fanboys are the worst or is he replying to someone who said they are the worst?

This. When reviewers fuck up:

-Thinking that Facebook integration is new with WP8
-Stating that you can't copy/paste from e-mail
-"Impressions" where the statement "I just wish it ran Android" is the highlight

That's off the top of my head, too. It's hard to not be frustrated, because it tells WP fans that these reviewers really aren't spending that much time with the devices or taking them seriously.

Some of the fans legitimately are nuts, though.

Troll

Banned
I don't understand twitter since I don't use that hipster shit, but did Topolsky say that MSFT fanboys are the worst or is he replying to someone who said they are the worst?

I don't know, it sort of looks to me like he's telling a Microsoft fan to commit suicide.

I don't know, it sort of looks to me like he's telling a Microsoft fan to commit suicide.

BlenderTom (@BlenderTom) told Topolsky (@joshuatopolsky) to kill himself, probably in response to their Lumia 920 event coverage.

"BlenderTom: @joshuatopolsky You, sir, should go kill yourself."

If you reply to someone on Twitter, you can chose to reply with or without quoting. In this case, Topolsky quoted the original tweet, so the whole world could see it. If you quote a tweet, it automatically puts a "RT" in it, which means retweet.

"RT @BlenderTom: @joshuatopolsky You, sir, should go kill yourself."

So Josh's actual tweet was just "MSFT fanboys — the worst in the business."

Can't believe that I still have to explain Twitter in 2013. It's so stupid. And I mean Twitter.

Lol, Topolsky is an idiot. He has to be mentally unstable to call anyone a fanboy. His Verge is basically a free Apple advertising platform. Also, lol@ your twitter manual :p

Troll

Banned
BlenderTom (@BlenderTom) told Topolsky (@joshuatopolsky) to kill himself, probably in response to their Lumia 920 event coverage.

"BlenderTom: @joshuatopolsky You, sir, should go kill yourself."

If you reply to someone on Twitter, you can chose to reply with or without quoting. In this case, Topolsky quoted the original tweet, so the whole world could see it. If you quote a tweet, it automatically puts a "RT" in it, which means retweet.

"RT @BlenderTom: @joshuatopolsky You, sir, should go kill yourself."

So Josh's actual tweet was just "MSFT fanboys — the worst in the business."

Can't believe that I still have to explain Twitter in 2013. It's so stupid. And I mean Twitter.

Yeah, I was just poking fun at Twitter's silly way of relaying information. It's really like deciphering a foreign language sometimes.

PG2G

Someone has to explain this one to me.

My take is that we will see all of the Microsoft platforms update at around the same time (and probably with similar capabilities). It kind of make sense when you consider how everything is so service based.

As an example, a major update to the TellMe service would probably see corresponding updates on all of the client platforms (introduction of speech in Windows 8, support from the next Xbox, and an overhaul of the implementation in Windows Phone 8). Or you could see how a major update to Xbox Live or the App Stores (perhaps unification at some point) would necessitate updates on all compatible platforms.

I'm not seeing glowing reviews for those two Sony phones from non-enthusiast sites. It seems like the 620 is a much better software/hardware combo. I just can't imagine that the performance of those skinned android devices matches the 620. Do either of the Sony devices even have a front facing camera?

Speaking of Sony phone, when I was in Thailand, there was one phone company that are doing worst than the Nokia and it was Sony and the Xperia. My brother said no one even care about the new Xperia line and even less for Sony. They really falling hard against Samsung.

Oh, Brot, the 820 was selling for about $380 in Thailand, unlocked which is not bad. I was going to buy that for my kid over the 620 but she rather have small phone. (BTW, I got it to work with At&t network, I just have to reset the phone and switch it to US region, it was originally set for UK/Thailand).

eastx

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Done and done! Nobody ever said I was fast. :) http://www.wpcentral.com/ubisoft-announces-new-windows-phone-games

I actually agree with that PocketNow article. I see the us-vs-them mentality in our own comments often enough. While I think WP exclusives are important and hate Microsoft's decision to support iOS, I don't think it's reasonable to attack people who criticize WP or favor other mobile OS's.

Saw that :)

Also, could you look into Adera for WP?

Fjolle

Done and done! Nobody ever said I was fast. :) http://www.wpcentral.com/ubisoft-announces-new-windows-phone-games

I actually agree with that PocketNow article. I see the us-vs-them mentality in our own comments often enough. While I think WP exclusives are important and hate Microsoft's decision to support iOS, I don't think it's reasonable to attack people who criticize WP or favor other mobile OS's.

The internet would be much better off without comments in general.

Or Jessica Alba, they have the same hair anyway.

I like Joe
Jessica Alba is so 2012. They should get Alicia Keys for the best betralyton. The war between Windows Phone and BlackBerry fanboys would kill the internet in an instant. It would even top the FF 13 on Xbox reveal.

Biggzy

My mom is due an upgrade with her network and has been looking for a cheap smartphone. With the 620 being released here in the UK recently I showed her it and she loved the design of it, so now she is going to call her network tomorrow to upgrade to it. ;)

I am just going to be sad because my mom would have a better phone than me - rocking a HD7.

hwalker84

Now that we have the PDF reader upgrade and the ability to email PDF's. Who's bright idea was it to have it upload to skydrive first and send a link by email to the doc in skydrive???? WTF

Now that we have the PDF reader upgrade and the ability to email PDF's. Who's bright idea was it to have it upload to skydrive first and send a link by email to the doc in skydrive???? WTF

Probably because a lot of PDFs are too large in file size to email as an attachment.

Omg this is driving me crazy:

my Me-Tile randomly shows me that I have 34 updates. But I have seen all notifications from the last week and it does not allow to go further back in time than that. I unpinned the tile, pinned it again, but still: sometimes it shows 34 updates, sometimes not. whyyy

Troll

Banned
Omg this is driving me crazy:

my Me-Tile randomly shows me that I have 34 updates. But I have seen all notifications from the last week and it does not allow to go further back in time than that. I unpinned the tile, pinned it again, but still: sometimes it shows 34 updates, sometimes not. whyyy

Are you on 7.8 or Portico?

MattDoza

I think I've finally arranged my home screen the way I want it. I've been messing with tile placement since updating to 7.8.

The large black Rowi tile is very slick. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom