• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxer

Haha thats ok
My crappy old android phone could only handle one app being installed other than the LG bloatware so Im used to getting by with next to nothing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lumia 620 ordered. First windows phone.

There is no thread of recommended apps etc like android ios have is there?

TVShow, Weatherflow, all the Nokia apps, Weave, Fuse, Wordament, Skulls of the Shogun, Audible, Netflix, Metrotube, Blink, Skydrive, Urbanspoon

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
TVShow, Weatherflow, all the Nokia apps, Weave, Fuse, Wordament, Skulls of the Shogun, Audible, Netflix, Metrotube, Blink, Skydrive, Urbanspoon

Mehdoh, NextGen Reader, Kindle, Crackle, Vevo/Vimeo, CNN, baconit, runtastic, New York Times/USA Today, Angry Birds Space/Star Wars, 4th & Mayor, Lenses (Panorama, Blink, Cinemagraph, SmartShoot), Box/KickBox, Flixster, Fhotoroom, gMaps, Photobucket/imgur, Skype, Spotify/Tune in Radio

waxer

Know of any music streaming devices that can plug into existing stereo and join via nfc. Would be nice to throw a heap of music on an sd card so I can take music collection between car home etc I see nokia have one although fairly expensive and so do belkin

eastx

Backing up game saves is more important than the issues listed IMO.

That gets tackled in Part 5. Basically, 4, 5, and 6 all have their own specific themes. Part 3 has a mix of themes, but I felt they were worth saying. The next parts will all ramp up to the final and most important theme of all - the need for more games.

I am amazed that the series will stretch to 6 articles, but of course there is a lot of stuff wrong with Xbox WP. And I like to go into as much detail as possible in order to make sure the audience (particularly non-gaming MS execs) really gets it.

That gets tackled in Part 5. Basically, 4, 5, and 6 all have their own specific themes. Part 3 has a mix of themes, but I felt they were worth saying. The next parts will all ramp up to the final and most important theme of all - the need for more games.

I am amazed that the series will stretch to 6 articles, but of course there is a lot of stuff wrong with Xbox WP. And I like to go into as much detail as possible in order to make sure the audience (particularly non-gaming MS execs) really gets it.
The MS execs you're targeting don't even use WP as their daily driver.

Doffen

Give me pocket editions of Forza/PGR, Viva Piñata, Banjo-Kazooie and Age of Empires then I'll be happy, Microsoft.

NeOak

Damn it, i have nostalgia for my Dell Venue Pro.

Its so small compared to my 920 and i don't take pics that much. I just browse a lot (920 is faster of course) but the hardware keyboard makes it sooo much better

:(

zorbsie

Anyone have trouble syncing their 920s? I pc can't seem to see the phone anymore. Worked fine for the last couple of months and now it doesn't sync. Not sure how this could have happened. Anyone know of a fix?

EDIT: Fixed it by restarting the phone. Not sure what caused it but glad it works now.

Troll

Banned
Give me pocket editions of Forza/PGR, Viva Piñata, Banjo-Kazooie and Age of Empires then I'll be happy, Microsoft.

I would spend 25 dollars on Viva Pinata for my 920. I'm not even joking.

I'm actually getting pissed off that it hasn't happened yet.

Banjo, I'd spend 15. Just don't make it a Bad Piggies rip off with a nuts and bolts theme.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Banjo, I'd spend 15. Just don't make it a Bad Piggies rip off with a nuts and bolts theme.

I would also like Viva Pinata.

Fjolle

I don't remember. Elaborate?

It's an online survey with no information about the number of participants or any reason to believe they are randomly selected.

It is about general market share, not sales.

And iPhone has no market share change from August to October.

Oh, and Symbian got a bigger market share in December...

Sordid

Three have the Lumia 620 on payg for £170, £20 dearer than O2 but I wouldn't have to mess about unlocking it. Pretty tempted, going to try to get it for free by renewing my contract first though!

Edit: Well, no luck there. My current contract is £13 for 300 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data every month. They said I'd get the phone free if I signed up for a 2 year contract and paid £26 a month for similar allowances or paid £17 for 100 minutes and 250mb data. Not stellar deals so I said no thanks and the lady tried to get me to go for a cheap Alcatel Android phone because, "Windows Phone is a very poor OS anyway, you can't even get the weather on there!"

It was a fun 15 minutes :lol

Booser

Yeah marketplace won't let me download anything. Nokia music also telling me im not connected to the internet when clearly I am.

Yeah marketplace won't let me download anything. Nokia music also telling me im not connected to the internet when clearly I am.

Microsoft marketplace has been down since last night. This is becoming very annoying. It was down briefly the other night also.

I would blame Nokia. It's their fault for not properly beta test for Microsoft.

BTW, my Nokia music work just fine I am not sure what your problem is.

they should just port the ds one over , its a great game.They should also port the ds zoo tycoons too.
mircosoft supported ds with better game than WP.

Microsoft changed Phone 8's kernel to have a shared core with Windows' kernel in order to make porting apps easier/ really easy and for better platform interaction. Therefor, with the intruduction of the next Xbox which will likely run on Windows kernel too, I would love to see Microsoft take advantage of that and enforce that same ease of porting onto games. How awesome would it be to have the less demanding games of Xbox LIVE Arcade be availible on Windows Phone? Adding controller support would be great too. It's not like everyone will start using a controller, but having the option is a huge plus.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS is making so many errors with Xbox Music that its driving me away from the platform. With Zune, I needed just one account and I could transfer Zune Pass music to my wife's phone. She couldn't download music on her phone, but she could get it on the PC and just transfer it over. Now with Xbox Music, I'm the only one with the ability to download subscription music, and I can't even sync it over from my PC. Such a major step backwards.

I'm going to try Spotify Premium. Can I log in to both phones with the same account and have streaming on both devices? What are the advantages of the desktop client? I'm assuming their is an iPad app as well, so can I have the same Spotify Premium account on both phones and the iPad as well?

I'll also give Nokia Music + a try as well. It sucks cause Xbox Music is native to the phone and would make things a lot simpler.

Went on a big app downloading spree, my Windows Phone feels like a new device all over again.

So happy to have Spotify again! :)

Got some great apps (at least I think they're great) including:

Amazing Weather HD
Blink
Celluar Tile Live
FFFFound
Fhotoroom
gMaps Pro
Hello Friends (Great for really cool lock screen customisation, including battery meter built in.
Lock Screen Text (Great for leaving little reminders for yourself on the lockscreen)
Metrotube (Seriously, best 3rd party Youtube App)
New Group* (for a very nice customised homescreen)
Snes8x (SNES emulator with Skydrive support)
Soundrivin (Soundcloud app, really nice to use too)
Skype (As nice as the Windows 8 version)
Spotify (Sure it's the same WP7, but faster. A beta though, hope they make some improvements)
Weave News Reader
WPCentral (where I found some of these apps!)
XBMC remote (just works great)

I know people sing doom and gloom for WP8 (and rightly so, MS need to do better than they are) but I still think it's the best OS for a phone I have ever used, and yes, I've had both an Android and iphone previously.

I think the home screen I have is gorgeous.

WP_20130210.png

WP_201302101.png

WP_201302102.png

*enjoy my positive WP8 post*

jgkspsx

But they just add more vertical space you need to scroll through? I think my impatience is going to win over my OCD on that one.

jgkspsx

But then you barely get any advantage over plain old icons. I have a mix of small and medium, with only photos in large size.

So rumour has it that Microsoft is working on a development platform for unified apps across Windows 8 and Windows Phone. As it is now, while porting is made significantly easier, you still need to port. MS wan't to eliminate that.

According to this job listing:

Are you excited about Windows Phone? Are you passionate about delivering the best possible experience to the developer community? Do you wish the code you write for Windows Store apps would just work on the Windows Phone and vice versa? If so, then this is the role for you! We are the team leading the charge to bring much of the WinRT API surface and the .NET Windows Store profile to the Phone.

We are looking for a highly motivated and technically strong SDET to help our team bring together the Windows Store and Phone development platforms. As a member of our team you will have a variety of responsibilities including designing and automating new tests, adapting existing automation and frameworks to the Phone, and building test framework components that will be used by many teams throughout Windows Phone. You will have an opportunity to sharpen your cross-team collaboration skills by working with many people in the Windows and Phone orgs. You will work closely with your developer and PM counterparts to solve the technical challenges of bringing a platform built for desktops and tablets to the phone form factor.

Ragus

Banned
I can't get the GPS to work properly on 920. Neither Nokia Maps, nor gMaps can find my exact location. The circle with my location is always gray on Nokia Maps, and on gMaps I get fucked up results(3 km away from my location).

any idea what might be the problem?

I can't get the GPS to work properly on 920. Neither Nokia Maps, nor gMaps can find my exact location. The circle with my location is always gray on Nokia Maps, and on gMaps I get fucked up results(3 km away from my location).

Are you indoors?

indoors/outdoors/in a car/in a bus, all the same shit :(

Broken GPS unit. GPS should work fine even without data connection after a while (when it gets its first fix unassisted), so... send it in for a repair? A-GPS should work very fast when you're in a vehicle anyway. Not to mention outdoors.

Do you have a weird case or cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom